• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakashi08

Everyone here is saying the Samsung 830 SSD is better than the 840.
Q: What's the difference, isn't the newer suppose to be faster/better?

The one I ordered is: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128GB.

I am not up on the details, but the 840 Pro is just fine from what I've heard, it's the non-pro 840 that has potential issues with breaking/not lasting as long as it should. I think you're just fine with the Pro.

fatty

This is what I'm wondering also. The way I understand it is:

840 Pro > 830 > 840

The 830 has faster sequential write speeds compared to the 840 but the 840 is better on random write/read speeds. 840 Pro tops both the 840 and 830.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6337/samsung-ssd-840-250gb-review/5

Also 830 has shown to be a reliable drive, but since the 840 series is relatively new we don't yet know.

That is pretty much what I've found, if anyone can shed some more light that would be appreciated. Stopped by Microcenter to pick up the 830 250GB drive for $160 but it was out of stock. :( Back to searching for a good deal again...

I want to buy a new board, but putting a new i7-3770K into a $70 doesn't feel right.

Just think of it as a $130 board...but with great rebates. What made you go with the i7-3770K? I was thinking about it over the 3570K, but I don't think I would do enough video editing and HD streaming to take advantage of its Hyperthreading.

Ambitious

I had a closer look at the parts of Hazaro's Excellent build, I think I'm gonna stick with it: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTSl
Any comments? Like I've said, I'm a complete layman. That's why I've really appreciate those complete part lists.

This may be a stupid question, but what about the power supply? I'm from Europe (not UK), is the Antec BP550 Plus actually compatible with our voltage and wall sockets?

Microcenter finally got a new shipment of 3570ks in today. I'm going to head to the store later today and pick it up to finish my build. Now I can finally build this damn thing.

Question about sound cards. Do I need one? Videos sound terrible though games are fine (I get a slight buzzing noise but I think that's a refresh rate issue plus my monitor speakers are bad). Or is it better to invest in some speakers?
Speakers and a non-analogue connection (optical or HDMI). If you can pony up for a proper receiver and speakers it is worth it.

Hi guys I'm in the process of building an HTPC. The case I'm using only supports low-profile cards and I'm needing a bluetooth and WiFi pci-e card in there.

Originally I was looking at the Gigabyte GC-WB300D but it's only a standard height card. On having a closer look at the card I saw that it was essentially a pci-e - mini pci-e adaptor and a mini pci-e wifi and bluetooth card.

This got me thinking maybe I could get an adapter seperately and pair it up with an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 or something similar.

I was looking at this http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/MP2H.html but it's a bit expensive when I take into account the cost of the 6235, shipping and any taxes I may be hit with when it reaches these shores. (I'm in Scotland, UK BTW)

So if anyone knows of anything similar that I can source locally or is just plain cheaper I'd greatly appreciate it.

Even a pci-e card that does the same but in low-profile form factor. Been googling for a while now and it's doing my head in! LOL

Also not wanting to use the USB ports for this task.

Thanks

Anybody?

OK, PC GAF. Really appreciate all the help so far. Here's my updated cart:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
|UPDATED| Motherboard: Biostar TZ77XE3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
|UPDATED| Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
|UPDATED| Video Card: Radeon 7950...but which one?!
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
|UPDATED|Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech K800 Wireless Slim Keyboard

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qUc3

How's all that looking? Better? Everything look compatible with one another?

Which Radeon 7950 do I go with, GAF? Looks like there's tons of manufacturer options...almost all of them come with those free games, too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-1&isNodeId=1&Description=radeon+7950&x=0&y=0

Don't mind spending a bit more on the 7950 if the performance is worth it..

kharma45

OK, PC GAF. Really appreciate all the help so far. Here's my updated cart:

|UPDATED| Motherboard: Biostar TZ77XE3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
|UPDATED| Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
|UPDATED| Video Card: Radeon 7950...but which one?!
|UPDATED|Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qUc3

How's all that looking? Bette?

Which Radeon 7950 do I go with, GAF? Looks like there's tons of manufacturer options...almost all of them come with those free games, too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-1&isNodeId=1&Description=radeon+7950&x=0&y=0

Don't mind spending a bit more on the 7950 if the performance is worth it..

I was going to say the Gigabyte Windforce the price is crazy on it atm :eek:

2San

Yeah, tried to go to get one from Microcenter (250GB) for $160 + tax but they were out of stock. Found it on bhphoto for $179 shipped and just got through placing my order.
I'm from the Netherlands, but my go to webshop had it overpriced. My secondary webshop was out of stock. Getting it from a site I never bought it from, but the site has good reviews so I'm not worried. Went for 250GB as well.

Smokey

have the same thing once every couple of weeks ... both with my P8Z68-V PRO and when I still had the older P8P67 PRO

so I wouldn't worry about it :)

OK, I'll take your word for it. First time it happened so I was a bit confused.

Your computer is giving you a preview of the Texans playoff performance.

This is how you know you've made it. Haters all over. Feels great man.

Reading the user reviews, I'm seeing minor complaints about the size of the Radeon 7950 cards.

Is the Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case spacious enough to house everything I want?
It should be. I believe you can remove the top hard drive cage in the HAF 912 if you don't have enough room.

Gueras

Banned
Guys let me ask u something, when i will upgrade my motherboard and new cpu, windows will complain?

I will need to format my hd?

I'm running windows 8

but if I will format i will go back to 7

migrating from core i 750 to core i7 3770

Mareg

Hey I was installing Windows 8 on an AMD trinity chip. Namely an A8-5500 with an HD 7300 display part.

I was puzzled to see that the catalyst software suite didn't try to update the display driver... it installed the other parts of the software suite. The display driver stayed at a very early version. I checked in the device manager.

Is it because AMD has still to release a Windows 8 compatible driver for its APU chips ? When I read the faq accompaning the 12.10 release, it seems to indicate the HD 7000 series display driver is included. Maybe its because mine came as part of an APU...

Speakers and a non-analogue connection (optical or HDMI). If you can pony up for a proper receiver and speakers it is worth it.

I plugged in my headphones (analog port) and the sound is just as bad, so I don't think better speakers will improve the sound.

I'll get an HDMI cable for my monitor. Currently using DVI+analog.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Screen going out with fans going crazy in my current PC.. probably means GPU overheating?

I can still here the game playing, but no signal to the monitor, and the computer is pretty much non-reacting to any keyboard presses.. but it's still running.. I just had to force shut it down.

It's a 5770... sometimes it just shuts the whole thing down.. it's only when playing games... could it be PSU not powering it enough or just the card going to shit?

I got my new PC on order, partly because of this and partly because the 5770 just isn't cutting it anymore.

How do I tell where the issue is coming from? I cleaned the PC out just the other day, some dust.. but nothing too bad.

Well, figured this out. Good thorough cleaning and some new thermal paste and my card is running a good 20-30c cooler.

Not sure why the hell I didn't just do that first.

All right, here's the final projected build:

Motherboard: Biostar TZ77XE3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V

Totals at ~$1094 according to PC Part Picker.

Have I done good, PC GAF? Anything you guys would improve/change?

Looks great!

kharma45

You could save some money with this

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1257

Antec costs more according to PC Part Picker anyway.

DSCN0050.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

Just about everything is ready to go. I look forward to the upcoming four hours of swearing, regret and eventual happiness when the thing can stay on for more than five minutes without catching on fire.

Wish me luck

Jburton

Banned
DSCN0050.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

Just about everything is ready to go. I look forward to the upcoming four hours of swearing, regret and eventual happiness when the thing can stay on for more than five minutes without catching on fire.

Wish me luck

Good luck buddy, same core components as my new build (new as of the summer). ...... 670 is an awesome card.

Enjoy.

To hazaro, fatty, HarryDemeanor, mkenyon, kharma45, DagsJT, garath, and everyone here at PC GAF...THANKS A LOT!

You guys are the best. :)

Wish me luck
Cool! Once my processor comes tomorrow I'll have all my stuff in too! Good luck, I want to see an "after" pic of you playing a cool game!

Is there a big difference between the "Samsung Green 8gb" RAM and this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

If yes, what's the big difference???
I don't know anything about RAM's, just know that 8gb is recommended. lol
The Samsung ram is smaller than that G.Skill ram so it makes it easier to put in a CPU cooler such as a Hyper 212 if it hits your ram slots. It also overclocks like a champ according to people in this thread.

kakashi08

Samsung stuff is lower profile, uses less power at stock (1.35v vs 1.5v) and overclocks a lot better.

Get the Samsung. Cheaper too by $5.

Idk why I already ordered the other one. Should've asked when I was asking about the other stuff.

But I'm never going to overclock. So does it really matter. Like is there a speed difference that'll be noticeable in regular use/Gaming?

If not, then I'm not going to bother returning the one I ordered and wait another week. Unless I can get the Samsung from a store. (bestbuy/walmart/etc).

Just wanted to clarify with you guys:

Are those free copies of Far Cry 3, Hitman Asbolution, and Sleeping Dogs with the purchase of a Radeon 7950 truly and legitimately free with the $300 purchase, or does this combo merely qualify me for a discount? I'm uncertain because there's this separate $170 price tag page for those games. Is that page merely for those solely interested in the games and not the card?

Seems crazy that you're able to save $170 on new games by buying this card...

The deal seems too good to be true!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom