• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Waiting for packages to trickle in is painful.

Got my case, psu, mobo and ram.

The rest is coming tomorrow and Weds.

DTKT

I've got a question--I just bought a new PC but need to put my GTX 460 video card in. Should I boot up the system for the first time BEFORE switching the card, or should I take out the card included and put in the 460 before the first boot up?

It depends if you are going from ATI to NVIDIA or staying in the same family. Either way, to be safe, you should boot once with the card that's currently in the system.

Then:

Download the correct drivers for your new card.
Uninstall the old drivers using the uninstall provided by Nvidia or through the Control Panel.
Reboot and enter Windows again.
Use C-Cleaner to remove whatever old remnants there might be.
Now, power down the system.
Remove the old card and install the new one.
Reboot and install the correct drivers.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I think the Noctua I ordered comes with thermal grease? Is it good to stay with that, or should I get the Arctic Cooler MX thermal grease?

Does anyone have a good solution for Wi-Fi using PCI Express? I'd love it if you could link to a page to buy it (UK £££ prices please).

I currently have a Linksys WUSB100 v2 and it's shit. I only get 10 Mb/s (full signal though) out of my normal 30 Mb/s I get on every other device.

Thanks!

I use the TP-Link TL-WN951N (£20.60 on Amazon) and it's great. I have a 100Mb/s fibre connection and I have no problems getting 7-8MB/s.

Not to put you off it, but I just went through the most horrible troubleshooting period. 9 months ago I got a tp-link tl wn851n, I didn't notice anything at first but I started getting lockups/freezing issues.

I basically researched every error listed in eventviewer then went through each part of my pc replacing/testing the likely suspects (PSU, RAM, motherboard, Video card etc.). Unfortunately only have 1 pc so I could test parts individually, but last weekend I finally noticed my wifi card was the only remaining part that hadn't been replaced and since removing it I haven't had a single random freeze. It was a horrible 9months but I have survived and will forever suspect pci add on cards first when dealing with seemingly random problems.

On the plus side I now have an upgraded computer and the AMD never settle bundle games :). The moral of the story? There's always an up side.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It depends if you are going from ATI to NVIDIA or staying in the same family. Either way, to be safe, you should boot once with the card that's currently in the system.

Then:

Download the correct drivers for your new card.
Uninstall the old drivers using the uninstall provided by Nvidia or through the Control Panel.
Reboot and enter Windows again.
Use C-Cleaner to remove whatever old remnants there might be.
Now, power down the system.
Remove the old card and install the new one.
Reboot and install the correct drivers.

Thanks!

called hardware store and told them about my 212 evo fan issues. They told they'd change it free of charge but it would take a couple days and whatnot and uhhhhhhhhh

i'll just buy a Thermaltake Silent Cat and stick it in there methinks. They're like 12 bucks

Wait when did this happen.

Dude... :(

j-wood

I recently bought an Intel SSD from new egg...is ot good to perform the tweaks in the OP no matter the brand? I just disabled indexing on the c drive, disabled windows search, disabled hibernate, and ran the Intel toolbox optimizer

ibifnCN9j1es1K.JPG

must...

not...

click...

buy...

I'm being tempted by an unexpected christmas bonus and my current rig feeling her years

TTG

Hello pc GAF! Quick question:

Just got a brand new pc I ordered over Thanksgiving weekend, all I need now is a SSD. Any good deals on quality small ones? I only really need space for the OS and some key programs.

If you don't know of a deal, you obviously don't have to go shopping for me. What should I look for? I have no idea what series means or which brand is the most reliable.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: is that samsung MickeyKnox posted any good? There's a 120gb version for 99$....

Petrie

Banned
Uses less power. I wouldn't even know where to start with your system. I'd basically start by reseating/plugging everything to make sure it's all gravy.

If it helps solve my issue, i plugged the GPU into the secondary slot and now it is working perfectly. What gives?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Alright, time for my first question. Is it suppose to be hard to pin down the cpu? I feel like this thing is going to break on me. The little flip cover, is scratching the top of the sides on the cpu. I have the notches on the cpu lined up correctly.

ScRYeD

ibifnCN9j1es1K.JPG

must...

not...

click...

buy...

I'm being tempted by an unexpected christmas bonus and my current rig feeling her years
You might have some problems wither ram and that heatsink. You might have to put the fan on the outside about an inch above your heatsink.

Edit: an inch is on the extreme but it will most likely put the above the top of the heatsink.

IceIpor

ibifnCN9j1es1K.JPG

must...

not...

click...

buy...

I'm not 100% on this, but I think most of PC-GAF will tell you NOT to buy the standard Samsung 840. Apparently there are a few issues with it.

Mordeccai

Waiting for packages to trickle in is painful.

Got my case, psu, mobo and ram.

The rest is coming tomorrow and Weds.

I'm in the same boat but my last piece to arrive will be the case >_<

Getting antsy though. Hoping for a smooth build process, I don't known if my poor heart can take much more waiting.

Got my PSU, its the antec 550+, random question. There is one six pin on the rail (I assume this is the bundle of cable coming out of the unit and not the ports) and one spot to plug a pci-e six pin on the five ports. Do I hook up the rail and a modular cable six pin to my 7870? Also does it matter if I use the six pins included with my card or can I just use the ones bundled with my PSU?

My CPU :Intel core I5 3570k ivy bridge 3.4ghz (3.8ghz turbo) LGA 1155 w-quad core core desktop processor Intel HD graphics

My GPU: EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeFORCE GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2gb 256bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI support video card

My RAM :Samsung 8 (2x4gb) 240pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Now could someone please give me the rest of the remaining parts(motherboard, power supply ect.) with links on newegg if possible please.

t-ramp

I'm in the same boat but my last piece to arrive will be the case >_<

Getting antsy though. Hoping for a smooth build process, I don't known if my poor heart can take much more waiting.

Got my PSU, its the antec 550+, random question. There is one six pin on the rail (I assume this is the bundle of cable coming out of the unit and not the ports) and one spot to plug a pci-e six pin on the five ports. Do I hook up the rail and a modular cable six pin to my 7870? Also does it matter if I use the six pins included with my card or can I just use the ones bundled with my PSU?
Yes, this should work the best. If you have molex (4-pin) to 6-pin cables that came with the card, you could use those, but it looks like the PSU is designed to split the PCIe power between two rails and leave a third for hard drives and such.

mkenyon

Banned
My CPU :Intel core I5 3570k ivy bridge 3.4ghz (3.8ghz turbo) LGA 1155 w-quad core core desktop processor Intel HD graphics

My GPU: EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeFORCE GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2gb 256bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI support video card

My RAM :Samsung 8 (2x4gb) 240pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Now could someone please give me the rest of the remaining parts(motherboard, power supply ect.) with links on newegg if possible please.
OP man.

Ty4on

fatty

From an old thread (2010), here is my current setup:

i7 860 processor ($230 + tax at Microcenter)
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P motherboard ($170 after rebate + tax at Microcenter)
Antec 300 Case ($30 after promo and rebate)
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 sound card ($12 on clearance)
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V PSU ($70 after promo and rebate)
SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 video card ($150 after MIR)
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM Hard Drive w/ Thermaltake BlacX External 2.5/3.5" Serial ATA HDD USB Dock ($77 after combo promo at newegg)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($105)
SAMSUNG DVD Burner SH-S223L ($26)

Total ~$870

But I'm looking to add a new computer to the house. Back then this would qualify as a "Enhanced - Best Value" pc in the top section of Hazaro's builds in the OP.

I'm looking to go the same route, I game but not that much and it is mostly Starcraft 2 but it might be nice to play Witcher 2 or Borderlands 2 later on but not a huge priority. I would like to do some video editing but just dabble in it with family videos. Maybe use it as a HTPC.

Today I picked up this case for $49.99:
Fractal Design Arc Midi
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352007&Tpk=arc midi

Planning on picking up an Intel core I5 3570k ivy bridge at Microcenter for $230

Should I jump on this deal for the motherboard?

BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 Intel 7 Series Motherboard for $70 after rebate
http://slickdeals.net/f/5627682-BIO...xpress-price-drop-now-69-99-AR-S-H-was-95-35?

I still have no idea for a graphics card but I'm not in the biggest hurry to build it, would like to finish it within the next month. For that I will still do some more research in the OP.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I'm beginning to farm around for a new PC. Looking at between $1000 and $1500.

I'm a little confused on differences between x79 and Z77 motherboard. They both support ivy bridge chips, correct?

mkenyon

Banned
That's a good motherboard, $70 is a great price.
So I'm beginning to farm around for a new PC. Looking at between $1000 and $1500.

I'm a little confused on differences between x79 and Z77 motherboard. They both support ivy bridge chips, correct?
Since 1366, intel has moved to a two-tiered system of motherboards/processors. You have the enthusiast socket/chipset/processors, and the consumer socket/chipset/processors. So when it first started, 1366/X58 = Enthusiast, 1156/P55 = Consumer. This gen we have Socket 2011/X79 = Enthusaist, and 1155/P67/Z68/Z77 = Consumer. Where it is confusing, is that 2011 processors have the same name (SandyBridge, Ivy to be released Q3 2013), but with a "-E" on the end of it, standing for enthusiast.

fatty

Since 1366, intel has moved to a two-tiered system of motherboards/processors. You have the enthusiast socket/chipset/processors, and the consumer socket/chipset/processors. So when it first started, 1366/X58 = Enthusiast, 1156/P55 = Consumer. This gen we have Socket 2011/X79 = Enthusaist, and 1155/P67/Z68/Z77 = Consumer. Where it is confusing, is that 2011 processors have the same name (SandyBridge, Ivy to be released Q3 2013), but with a "-E" on the end of it, standing for enthusiast.

Thanks, I will jump on that Biostar TZ77XE3.

Chairhome

Sorry to ask for more tech support here, but I messed up. Unplugging the old drive with the OS installed did not let me change the cloned position on the ssd to "c". So I changed "c" to something else and I f***ed everything up. I now load to a blank blue screen that says "build 7601 this coy of windows is not genuine" with no icons out task bar. I can only access the task manager. I can bring up command prompt but not everything seems to work when I try to pull it up. Even talked to MS tech support and they can't figure it out and will call me back. I have to see if I can find my windows install disc, but any other suggestions?

j-wood

In reference to my earlier sad question, the sad I bought was an Intel 330 series maple crest. 120gb. Is that a good one? It had solid reviews

What have I done

isKTc2gvo6JSa.JPG

In any case it's time to retire this old workhorse, I'll be salvaging the 6970, the 750w corsair PSU, the 300gig VelociRaptor, and the 500gig Samsung and the DVDRW drive.

Also, dat Prime shipping

mkenyon

Banned
Sorry to ask for more tech support here, but I messed up. Unplugging the old drive with the OS installed did not let me change the cloned position on the ssd to "c". So I changed "c" to something else and I f***ed everything up. I now load to a blank blue screen that says "build 7601 this coy of windows is not genuine" with no icons out task bar. I can only access the task manager. I can bring up command prompt but not everything seems to work when I try to pull it up. Even talked to MS tech support and they can't figure it out and will call me back. I have to see if I can find my windows install disc, but any other suggestions?
Reformat the SSD, put in the HDD to the system and make sure it is not selected as the primary boot device in BIOS. Then you can pull off whatever data you need from it.

Exuro

What have I done

http://i.minus.com/isKTc2gvo6JSa.JPG[IMG]

In any case it's time to retire this old workhorse, I'll be salvaging the 6970, the 750w corsair PSU, the 300gig VelociRaptor, and the 500gig Samsung and the DVDRW drive.

Also, dat Prime shipping[/QUOTE]What cpu are you upgrading from?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I am looking for a solid gaming rig, thinking of doing my first SLI/Crossfire build. And you're saying the X79 chips won't be available till next year? So not really worth it?

What have I done

isKTc2gvo6JSa.JPG

Also, dat Prime shipping

I swear I have to resist a purchase like that every 3 months or so. One of these days, the urge to upgrade will go beyond my will power. The rational side of me, says stick it out for 2 more years but who am I kidding?

Lkr

if i use an old hard drive from a dell xps desktop, circa mid 2007, am i going to notice any performance differences between using that and a current one?

DTKT

if i use an old hard drive from a dell xps desktop, circa mid 2007, am i going to notice any performance differences between using that and a current one?

If it's a 5400 RPM, Windows is probably going to feel a tad sluggish. Nothing too bad, but it definitively has an effect on the smoothness of pretty much everything.

Grief.exe

Most likely you will see a decent day to day performance drop.

Best case scenario you should look for a nice SSD to put as your boot drive and use your old HDD as a storage drive. A nice one can be picked up for about $70 on sale.

Though to save money in the short term you will be fine using that HDD for now.

Lkr

If it's a 5400 RPM, Windows is probably going to feel a tad sluggish. Nothing too bad, but it definitively has an effect on the smoothness of pretty much everything.

about 95% sure its 7200rpm

btw is it possible to raid0 a 160gb and 250gb drive from different manufacturers? i don't care about reliability vs not raiding a drive since i won't be using this computer for important files

this is a short term solution, i hope to get an SSD in 6-7 months or so

What cpu are you upgrading from?

Oh god, it's from my ancient oc'ed q9550

And HAHA look what I found, the first iteration of this build, only things that endured were the case and heatsink!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179237&highlight=mickeyknox+kandalf

:D
Kandalf.jpg

more info later.

4gigs of PC8500, 1066mhz, and that's a GTX, my case is just that beefy.

120xtrm.jpg

+

120mm.jpg

Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme. There are only two stipulations before I go recommending it.

1st: it's huge so check your case depth for clearance

2nd: The base is convex, so you have 2 options, either spend the extra $15-$20 when you order it for it to come pre-lapped or be prepared to do it yourself.

Here are the pics I took while doing mine, starting with 120grit and progressing up to 800grit.

LappingHS1.jpg

LappingHS2.jpg

LappingHS3.jpg

LappingHS4.jpg

LappingHS5.jpg

The e6850 is somewhat concave, so I decided to lap that as well.

LappingProc1.jpg

LappingProc2.jpg

LappingProc3.jpg

I'm not 100% on this, but I think most of PC-GAF will tell you NOT to buy the standard Samsung 840. Apparently there are a few issues with it.

I still have wiggle room on changing the order, any consensus on why I shouldn't get that drive or recommendations on a different one, reviews all seem pretty solid on it.

ATF487

Put most of my stuff together on Saturday but got the ram and hard drive today. I'd say that if anyone is afraid of actually putting one together, they shouldn't be. It has gotten so much more user friendly over the years, especially with heat sinks. Couldn't believe how simple it was to put this one on.

My video card comes on Thursday, I can't wait. I'm downloading a large chunk of my steam library in anticipation

zychi

Banned
I currently run:
Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Total available graphics memory 4855 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3831 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.2.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

With 8gigs of ram and a i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz

I'm looking at this deal with the 3 free games from ATI:
amazon

which would be my best bang for my buck? I'd like to stay under $450 if possible

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My first build was a success!! That was some hard work, and my back hurts, but man is it ever so satisfying to know I put it together. Thank you guys for all the help, and advice! You made the experience much better, and more easy.

DTKT

My first build was a success!! That was some hard work, and my back hurts, but man is it ever so satisfying to know I put it together. Thank you guys for all the help, and advice! You made the experience much better, and more easy.

Hell yeah!

It's a great feeling when your PC boots on the first try.

Welcome to a whole new world.

zychi

Banned
thanks for the help on the video card.

any recommendations on how to record hdtv to my computer? i asked a few days ago but never got a response, and have no idea where to start.

Congratulations. It can be nerve-racking the first time but now the wonderful world of PC gaming is at your fingertips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom