• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a bad or good time to build a PC? My rig is 3 years old and while it keeps up with today's games on medium settings I'm thinking of doing a full out build, something that could max next year's games. I've never really gone all out on a PC before so I'm kind of excited about doing this but I keep hearing about some new Nvidia cards to release next year. I understand of course there is always going to be the next big card or processor but is now a good time to build? Should I wait for consoles to release to make a big jump?

You can easily do two monitors and just set them to mirror mode.

Ya, I guess I'm just wondering whether anyone knows of any all-in-one solutions, but I don't know how to phrase the problem very accurately.

We don't have space for a desktop, so we both use laptops on the couch. I want to build a PC and plug it into the TV, but I'm trying to build in a solution for when I want to play PC games, but can't use the TV as a display.

Is there a bad or good time to build a PC? My rig is 3 years old and while it keeps up with today's games on medium settings I'm thinking of doing a full out build, something that could max next year's games. I've never really gone all out on a PC before so I'm kind of excited about doing this but I keep hearing about some new Nvidia cards to release next year. I understand of course there is always going to be the next big card or processor but is now a good time to build? Should I wait for consoles to release to make a big jump?
It's always a good time to build a PC. The thing with PCs is that if you keep waiting you'll never build one because there's always something new coming out around the corner. Just build what you want now and then upgrade what you need to stay current every year or two.

OatmealMu

That was easy enough. The only real issue I had was having to install network adapter drivers off the DVD. I also have to call Microsoft and prove I'm not a filthy pirate. Shame on me for upgrading my computer. And, wow, have bios screens come a long way. I could actually use my mouse to navigate the thing. Hot damn.

A question: Apparently, my i3 has built-in GPU capabilities. I installed drivers for my 550Ti and all seems well. I just want to make sure I'm actually using the card and not the i3 for graphics duties. Is there a surefire way to check?

scogoth

Ya, I guess I'm just wondering whether anyone knows of any all-in-one solutions, but I don't know how to phrase the problem very accurately.

We don't have space for a desktop, so we both use laptops on the couch. I want to build a PC and plug it into the TV, but I'm trying to build in a solution for when I want to play PC games, but can't use the TV as a display.

If you are talking like a wireless monitor, keyboard and mouse, like a laptop with out the computing parts then no. You could use a laptop and remote desktop/VNC but that would work only for general desktop usage not gaming. Best thing would be setup a small desk within hdmi-cables-length of the TV and use the desk when your partner wants to watch TV. Doesn't need to be fancy just four legs and a top. You can also get HDMI cables pretty damn long like up to 75ft without a booster so you would have lots of flexibility in where you place it.

EDIT: technically there are some laptops like those from Clevo that have HDMI input for their screens but they cost a pretty penny

mkenyon

Banned
What is a good site to keep up on tech news(mobos, graphics cards, cpu, etc)?
TechReport, Overclock3d.net, HardOCP (their RSS feed is top notch), Guru3D. The best way to find breaking news is to go to a well populated enthusiast forum and you can have all the stuff aggregated in one place, like Overclock.net. HardOCP does pretty much the same thing with their RSS feed, and even give a summary of all websites' reviews/articles. Pretty cool.
IGN.com of tech right there. But maybe with less integrity.
I am looking for a new (as future-proof as possible) computer and I am looking at something like this:

Corsair Graphite Series 600T CC600TM Mid-Tower Gaming Case
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA 04G-P4-3687-KR GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5
Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler

I do a lot of video editing and gaming mostly. My PC is my everything, I watch my movies and TV on it too. Thoughts?
Swap the EVGA for an ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, or PowerColor 670/680/7970. EVGA cards are loud and hot. If you use Sony Vegas, definitely the 7970.

The UP4 has some pretty serious vdroop (all gigabyte X79 boards do), so when you overclock that thing, the voltage you set in BIOS will actually be lower than the real voltage. No big deal, just something to account for. This is coming from a Gigabyte X79 owner (G1 Assassin 2).

Swap the case for something a bit better. The 600T has some design flaws that make it louder and hotter than most high end cases, and it doesn't fit the H100 well as the only way to set it up is either push as intake or pull as exhaust. Unless the H100 rad is mounted on the front of your case, you generally want to have that exhausting in push. Take a gander at the Switch 810, Shinobi XL, Corsair 500R, CoolerMaster Trooper/Stryker, Lian Li PC-7HX, Arc Midi, Define R4.

Get the Crucial or Samsung 30nm RAM. Crucial has a large number of SKUs that are all the same thing, just search on newegg by refining Crucial DDR3 to 1.35V. Both of these overclock to 2133 easy peasy, which is important as you can overclock with BCLK on Sandy-E.

Also keep in mind that Kepler doesn't officially support PCI-E 3.0 on Sandy-E, so the motherboard may or may not flash to support it. Mine did not.
Best monitor under $250?
Some ASUS V-Series. There are so many SKUs it's almost impossible to keep track of what is what. If you can find an S23A700D for $250, that'd be it. Dell also has their 23" IPS panels on sale for around that price fairly often. Though IPS panels are pegged for not being great gaming monitors, one of their 23" U23somethingsomething has lower input lag than most gaming oriented TN's.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I asked Reddit for ~500 build using only Amazon and Newegg and was suggested this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.99 @ Newegg) NOPE
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P21 (FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($60.26 @ Amazon) NOPE
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg) NOPE
Total: $505.20
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-04 23:29 EST-0500)

Any suggestions on different parts? Does this look good?

Second, I share the TV with my partner, so I can't have a full time gaming center on the TV. What I'd LIKE to do is what I do now: Play on the TV when I can, then switch over to my laptop when she wants to watch something.

Is there any way to do this practically? Meaning: Is there some kind of "laptop" of sorts that is just a monitor/keyboard that I can plug my HDMI cable into? Maybe I could just get a monitor and set it on the coffee table or something. =/
See the OP build. 3220 + cheap mobo and VP450.
Massive jump in gaming performance.
There is a list of News sites in the OP. Toms is ok sometimes if they do a nice article. For the most part I trust other publications I have listed in the OP more.
That was easy enough. The only real issue I had was having to install network adapter drivers off the DVD. I also have to call Microsoft and prove I'm not a filthy pirate. Shame on me for upgrading my computer. And, wow, have bios screens come a long way. I could actually use my mouse to navigate the thing. Hot damn.

A question: Apparently, my i3 has built-in GPU capabilities. I installed drivers for my 550Ti and all seems well. I just want to make sure I'm actually using the card and not the i3 for graphics duties. Is there a surefire way to check?
Your display adapter should be a GTX 550Ti (Display Properties, or Manage -> display Adapter, or under your display output). Also if you installed drivers for it and your video cable is plugged into the 550Ti.

Luthair

Swap the EVGA for an ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, or PowerColor 670/680/7970. EVGA cards are loud and hot. If you use Sony Vegas, definitely the 7970.

The UP4 has some pretty serious vdroop (all gigabyte X79 boards do), so when you overclock that thing, the voltage you set in BIOS will actually be lower than the real voltage. No big deal, just something to account for. This is coming from a Gigabyte X79 owner (G1 Assassin 2).

Swap the case for something a bit better. The 600T has some design flaws that make it louder and hotter than most high end cases, and it doesn't fit the H100 well as the only way to set it up is either push as intake or pull as exhaust. Unless the H100 rad is mounted on the front of your case, you generally want to have that exhausting in push. Take a gander at the Switch 810, Shinobi XL, Corsair 500R, CoolerMaster Trooper/Stryker, Lian Li PC-7HX, Arc Midi, Define R4.

Get the Crucial or Samsung 30nm RAM. Crucial has a large number of SKUs that are all the same thing, just search on newegg by refining Crucial DDR3 to 1.35V. Both of these overclock to 2133 easy peasy, which is important as you can overclock with BCLK on Sandy-E.

Also keep in mind that Kepler doesn't officially support PCI-E 3.0 on Sandy-E, so the motherboard may or may not flash to support it. Mine did not.

Thanks for the info! Think I should just use the Z77 to be safe? it seems to have a little less uncertainty. Would a PCI-E 3.0 ATI card have the same issue as Kepler in a X79 setup?

AkIRA_22

I'm done..... nearly. I am going to replace my PSU with a friend who has a 860w (he uses about 1/4 of that) so I haven't put the Bitfenix sleeved extensions on. I also am slowly bringing the CPU over clock up and and have the cards at 1100MHz and 1450MHz (core/memory). I did some 3D mark 11 with a stock CPU and it's OK (p11000), but it will be much better with the full over clock. I just don't want to ramp everything up straight away.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm done..... nearly. I am going to replace my PSU with a friend who has a 860w (he uses about 1/4 of that) so I haven't put the Bitfenix sleeved extensions on. I also am slowly bringing the CPU over clock up and and have the cards at 1100MHz and 1450MHz (core/memory). I did some 3D mark 11 with a stock CPU and it's OK (p11000), but it will be much better with the full over clock. I just don't want to ramp everything up straight away.
Looking real nice.

I got 10.6k with a 2600K and 1x 670. COME ON.

AkIRA_22

Looking real nice.

I got 10.6k with a 2600K and 1x 670. COME ON.

Yeah I was really surprised too. I was getting just in the 9000 with a SINGLE 7970 heavily overclocked.

On a side note, how come when I have the cards in crossfire the first image that can be displayed is "windows starting" just before the desktop? anyone have a fix?

Edit: getting there.....

BenchmarkCPU35GHz2x797011001500.png

Ledsen

I've been trying to overclock my GPU... it's a Twin Frozr II 1024 MB GTX560Ti.
I have no experience overclocking GPUs. Could anyone give me some tips?

Stock is 1.00v, 880/1100. I tried going up to 950/1200, but it crashed. I upped the voltage to 1.05 with clocks @950/1200, and it seemed to work fine. Haven't done stability testing yet though so I'm still running everything @ stock speeds when gaming. Where do I go from here? Should I not have upped the voltage that much? I don't really know what my next step should be and how I go about it to get max stable clocks. Is the prestanda boost even worth it?

Tenck

So Dell with their absolute piece of shit customer service is making me wait another week. Not only do they have the nerve to take an absurdly long time with their first delivery estimate, but they bail out on me the day my PC is supposed to be shipped and delivered. I wouldn't have had a problem if they would have warned me a few days before, but this is absurd.

DagsJT

I'm pretty sure I've SLIGHTLY bent a pin on the CPU pins on my motherboard when installing. Hopefully it'll still be okay, I'll be gutted otherwise.

Impressed with the Corsair 200r case, tons of space and the cable-tidy gaps seem like they'll work well.

So I am currently deciding between a couple different upgrades, for reference my current specs are:

X4 955 BE @ 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM, factory overclocked ASUS 6870 (1GB), playing on a 1080p TV.

I am currently deciding between this:
pcupgradevwfuw.png

And this:
pcupgrade2x6ea3.png

Bear in mind this is the best deal I could find online in Australia, and being Australia stuff like Newegg and Amazon aren't an option unfortunately.

I'm hoping for this to be a decent upgrade from what I have now until I do a full system upgrade next year (if necessary).

Which one is preferable?

2San

So I am currently deciding between a couple different upgrades, for reference my current specs are:

Which one is preferable?
For gaming? I'd say the upper one, since the difference for gaming between the i5 and i7 is close to nothing afaik. Noticed it isn't a K-chip either. Ivy Bridge are piss easy to overclock. Have you decided on a mobo yet?
Looks pretty awesome. All that money and why no SSD though? :eek:

Bear

Would the CPU be a capable chip without overclocking?

The main difference between the i5 and i7 is hyperthreading, which is mostly useless for gaming. Very few games take advantage of it, and in the vast majority of cases their performance should be pretty much identical. The stock speed of the 3770 is slightly higher (I believe 0.1 GHz), but it's a marginal difference and a very conservative overclock will make the 3750k faster.

Definitely invest in the better graphics card instead. You will almost always get the same performance (or better with OC) with the 3750k.

For gaming? I'd say the upper one, since the difference for gaming between the i5 and i7 is close to nothing afaik. Noticed it isn't a K-chip either. Ivy Bridge are piss easy to overclock. Have you decided on a mobo yet?

Sorry, I forgot to mention the motherboard, currently I have this http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A87TDUSB3/

Not really considering a mobo upgrade unless it is necessary.

EDIT: consensus seems to be for the first one, the second one was checking if the i7 was a substantial difference from the i5, which it evidently is not.

Thank you very much everyone.

So, for those that feel they have a pretty good idea, should I wait for confirmed PS4 and 720 specs before doing a serious upgrade? I've holding back on doing so for sometime now in fear that 720 and PS4 may be closer to current PC specs than some would like to admit or believe. Will either have 6 cores? 8 cores? Who can really say at this point but it still keeps me from doing some of the serious upgrading I've wanted to do.

Still going strong with my 2600K, GTX 570, 8GB RAM, Intel 320 series SSD and a couple of mechanical drives as well. I've love to get a new 6 core CPU and a new NVIDIA card from the 7xx when they release. Again, just concerned PS4 and 720 may be a little more powerful than we think.

2San

Sorry, I forgot to mention the motherboard, currently I have this http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A87TDUSB3/

Not really considering a mobo upgrade unless it is necessary.
The Ivy Bride(or any Intel chip set really) is incompatible with that. I'd wait for more expert advise before deciding the upgrade, maybe it's more cost effective to keep your current setup and just go for a better 3D card and overclocking your current cpu(dunno it that's possible, I'm unfamiliar with AMD cpu's).

I am looking to replace the stock cooling on my I5 3570K for future overclocking.

I have read that the Hyper 212 Evo is a good choice and is relatively low price but I am concerned about how it will fit into my system. I think it is going to be too tight a fit, unfortunately.

My specs:

Case: Zalman Z9 Plus
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
GPU: GTX 670 (reference Zotac model)
RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)
PSU: 600W Xigmatek

From looking at the layout, and the size of the Evo 212 it looks like the GPU and RAM will be within mm's of the Evo 212.

What is a Corsair H60 like for overclocking?

I am hoping to get around 4.5GHz. I have read conflicting advice about the H60 so I don't want to pull the trigger just yet.

Thanks for any sage advice on this; I am a complete novice regarding cooling.

Addnan

The cases in the OP, how are they for cable management? I am not the best with cabling, my current build looks like a mess (inside a Antec 300).

Something big would be good, gives some room to play with.

2San

Well...that's that then I guess lol. Looks like I'll wait a bit and do a full overhaul. Thanks.
Ah np. ;(

I am looking to replace the stock cooling on my I5 3570K for future overclocking.

I have read that the Hyper 212 Evo is a good choice and is relatively low price but I am concerned about how it will fit into my system. I think it is going to be too tight a fit, unfortunately.

My specs:

Case: Zalman Z9 Plus
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)

From looking at the layout, and the size of the Evo 212 it looks like the GPU and RAM will be within mm's of the Evo 212.

I am hoping to get around 4.5GHz. I have read conflicting advice about the H60 so I don't want to pull the trigger just yet.
Thanks for any sage advice on this; I am a complete novice regarding cooling.
I'm not familar with you case, but it seems the standard mid size, so it should fit. On my mobo p8p67(somewhat similar to yours), it's a perfect fit. Even if it that wasn't the case the fan can go over the RAM. Yours has a hat, so not sure if that will work. :p You can put the fan on the other side though, so you should be fine either way.

Arsin

So I should be getting my first 120hz monitor in the mail today, pretty excited!

I was wondering, do I still run D3DOverrider to get triple buffered or does that not work with 120hz monitors?

Also, what should I run to get the colors and brightness levels set up correctly?

Vortex566

I'm looking to go from a 1GB 460 GTX to a 2GB Gigabyte HD7850 OC. I currently have a second generation i3 processor, so was wondering if it would be better to spend the money on an i5?

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and info. I've never had a decent computer before, and my cheap build has performed way beyond my expectations.

I'll test it out way more once my Hotline Miami addiction has subsided.

Ledsen

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and info. I've never had a decent computer before, and my cheap build has performed way beyond my expectations.

I'll test it out way more once my Hotline Miami addiction has subsided.

It seems like this happens every time on GAF. People who don't have a gaming computer are convinced that either you will have to shell out $1000 or you'll have an underpowered rig that will run at most equal to the consoles, when in fact almost any computer you buy with a discrete graphics card will outperform the consoles significantly. I'm not saying you're a part of this particular group, but it goes to show the fundamental misconceptions about PC among console gamers.

DagsJT

So I should be getting my first 120hz monitor in the mail today, pretty excited!

I was wondering, do I still run D3DOverrider to get triple buffered or does that not work with 120hz monitors?

Also, what should I run to get the colors and brightness levels set up correctly?

I think people usually check TFT Central and see what their recommended settings are so you could check that site out.

Bloodsent

Trying to decide if a complete upgrade is better suited, or just a video card. I have a 1920x1200 display, and I want to play Far Cry 3 decently, and plan on playing Bioshock in February.

This is what I have right now (built in Feb 2010)

i7-920@4.0Ghz
XFX AMD 5850 1GB GPU
6GB DDR3
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3
Corsair 650W-TX PSU
Samsung Spinpoint S3 500GB system drive

Am I better off just waiting until next year to replace everything, what with the new Intel processors and AMD 8xxx GPUs coming out in Q1, upgrade everything now, or just go with a video card upgrade? I don't plan on going with a anything higher than the resolution I have now, so not even sure what card is best suited anyway.

Any help and advice would be most appreciated.

kharma45

Trying to decide if a complete upgrade is better suited, or just a video card. I have a 1920x1200 display, and I want to play Far Cry 3 decently, and plan on playing Bioshock in February.

This is what I have right now (built in Feb 2010)

i7-920@4.0Ghz
XFX AMD 5850 1GB GPU
6GB DDR3
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3
Corsair 650W-TX PSU
Samsung Spinpoint S3 500GB system drive

Am I better off just waiting until next year to replace everything, what with the new Intel processors and AMD 8xxx GPUs coming out in Q1, upgrade everything now, or just go with a video card upgrade? I don't plan on going with a anything higher than the resolution I have now, so not even sure what card is best suited anyway.

Any help and advice would be most appreciated.

All I'd change at the minute from that is the GPU, your i7 is still more than able for anything that's coming up and even your 5850 is still a pretty kick ass card all things considered.

Oh, you could also look to invest in an SSD too.

Bloodsent

All I'd change at the minute from that is the GPU, your i7 is still more than able for anything that's coming up and even your 5850 is still a pretty kick ass card all things considered.

Oh, you could also look to invest in an SSD too.

Thanks kharma, I was just a bit concerned about the 5850's viability in Far Cry, and I am starting to already feel the pain in some games at 1200p. Worth waiting it out until Q1 for new GPUs?

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks kharma, I was just a bit concerned about the 5850's viability in Far Cry, and I am starting to already feel the pain in some games at 1200p. Worth waiting it out until Q1 for new GPUs?
5850 -> 7950 is a pretty huge jump. Agree with Kharma on the other stuff though.

*edit* Also, the AMD 8xxx series has been delayed to Q2.

Kingbrave

Would a Gtx 650 be an okay upgrade from a 5670? I've never had an Nvidia card but kind of want to try them out. It's either that or a 7750.

Akai__

Finally got my Samsung 830 SSD and installed it. It's really awesome!

One thing, that bothers me, is that it is listed under the system tray.
As you can see below:

xM0il.png

How do I get rid of it?

Edit: If I turn "Notification and Symbols" off, it still shows this.

mm04

I'm getting the upgrade bug as well. So opinions on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. I last upgraded in April 2010. Currently have a AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.6ghz, 2 x 5770 cross-fired. Should I upgrade my GPU or throw down $800+ for a new CPU/Mobo/GPU combination?

derder

I'm getting the upgrade bug as well. So opinions on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. I last upgraded in April 2010. Currently have a AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.6ghz, 2 x 5770 cross-fired. Should I upgrade my GPU or throw down $800+ for a new CPU/Mobo/GPU combination?

With no news of a new cpu/mobo coming in the nearterm, i'd upgrade that once you see a good deal. Make sure the mobo can do xfire, obviously. If that doesn't get you the performance you need, then upgrade the GPUs.

t-ramp

With no news of a new cpu/mobo coming in the nearterm, i'd upgrade that once you see a good deal. Make sure the mobo can do xfire, obviously. If that doesn't get you the performance you need, then upgrade the GPUs.
This is what I'd say, too. I'd feel more out of the loop if I was still using my Phenom II X4 945 than Crossfired 5770s. That said, I'd probably upgrade the cards, too, since they're a bit underpowered now.

mkenyon

Banned
Finally got my Samsung 830 SSD and installed it. It's really awesome!

One thing, that bothers me, is that it is listed under the system tray.
As you can see below:

xM0il.png

How do I get rid of it?

Edit: If I turn "Notification and Symbols" off, it still shows this.
You probably have hot swap enabled on the SATA port it is plugged into.
Upgrade the system, enhanced should work well.
Would a Gtx 650 be an okay upgrade from a 5670? I've never had an Nvidia card but kind of want to try them out. It's either that or a 7750.
Go for the 560Ti, 570, 6870, or 6950 over either of those. Buy used at that price point, IMO.

derder

This is what I'd say, too. I'd feel more out of the loop if I was still using my Phenom II X4 945 than Crossfired 5770s. That said, I'd probably upgrade the cards, too, since they're a bit underpowered now.

I'd wait, you'll be amazed at the transition from the 945 to IvyBridge. I just made the switch in september.

Edit: Although, the if the mobo costs $50 more for Xfire and you don't necessarily want to go Xfire this round, I'd consider a GPU, too. I got the ASRock Z77 mobo that keeps going on sale at newegg and it's rock solid.

t-ramp

I'd wait, you'll be amazed at the transition from the 945 to IvyBridge. I just made the switch in september.

Edit: Although, the if the mobo costs $50 more for Xfire and you don't necessarily want to go Xfire this round, I'd consider a GPU, too. I got the ASRock Z77 mobo that keeps going on sale at newegg and it's rock solid.
Yeah, it would be a great upgrade. It looks like two 5770s are about equivalent to a 5870, which still yields fantastic performance with a current Intel processor. If you're trying to max graphics on every game, though, it may not cut it. But you're talking a couple hundred dollars for an upgrade, so it's probably not worth it...

Yeah, some motherboards have those options in the BIOS. I think one of my AM3 boards did not, though, so I'd get all my drives listed in the taskbar if I was in AHCI mode.

kharma45

5850 -> 7950 is a pretty huge jump. Agree with Kharma on the other stuff though.

*edit* Also, the AMD 8xxx series has been delayed to Q2.

For 1200p, with the new drivers especially, the 7950 would be a good buy, and if you did want to upgrade your rig next year it'd be one less thing to buy.

Akai__

It's not unusual, but I think you can edit the registry to disregard your internal drives as removable:

http://www.overclock.net/t/974023/fix-ahci-sata-drives-showing-in-safely-remove-hardware/0_100

Yeah, some motherboards have those options in the BIOS. I think one of my AM3 boards did not, though, so I'd get all my drives listed in the taskbar if I was in AHCI mode.

Thanks guys. Will look into it. Really appreciate your help. :)

mm04

Thanks guys. I can re-use everything but the CPU/GPU/Mobo when I upgrade. Maybe get an SSD as well. Appreciate the advice.

So I suppose HIS 7970 IceQ X2 is where all the craze is at, or am I overhyped by the reviews? It's available at newegg for $360, which is the least expensive I've ever seen it being.

I'm planning to go all out in a month or so. Thinking of it as a personal Christmas gift. Any recommendations? (For the fun of it, expect that money is no object!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom