• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
nothing to worry about since its just the fan bearings going bad (apparently). Easily replaceable but still a disappointment considering the little time (over 2 months) I used it. Ive read about the fan being pretty low quality.

still sucks to hear though given the other issues.

My first build was a success!! That was some hard work, and my back hurts, but man is it ever so satisfying to know I put it together. Thank you guys for all the help, and advice! You made the experience much better, and more easy.

Congrats.

and i know that feel man :(

IceIpor

I still have wiggle room on changing the order, any consensus on why I shouldn't get that drive or recommendations on a different one, reviews all seem pretty solid on it.

As someone mentioned earlier, I think people are just worried about the longevity and reliability of the new flash format of the 840 (standard).

That may or may not sway your decision depending on how long you expect your new rig to last you.

sixghost

My first build was a success!! That was some hard work, and my back hurts, but man is it ever so satisfying to know I put it together. Thank you guys for all the help, and advice! You made the experience much better, and more easy.
Upload a picture if you can

As someone mentioned earlier, I think people are just worried about the longevity and reliability of the new flash format of the 840 (standard).

That may or may not sway your decision depending on how long you expect your new rig to last you.

Honestly, I'm fully prepared to upgrade my storage within the next year if I have to so I think I'm going to stay the course

ScRYeD

Built myself a new computer using spare parts I had lying around, ssd, hdd and psu. Would have went a white and black version of the 690ii advanced usb3 but I got this case for $100 and I just couldn't wait for pccasegear to ship one.
iHP6dFZgzrRMP.jpg

The picture makes the insides look like craps too much lighting :(

Going to replace all the fans I have currently have in the case with a mix of corsair sp and af performance fans or should I go all the same fans?

conman

I'm afraid to jinx it, but it appears that my PC build is a success.

Took a few hours longer than it should have due to some idiotic user error (hello, front side power button). Did a moderate OC on my i5 3750K. Got it stable up to 4.3Ghz with the help of a hyper 212. Doesn't seem to want to go further than that without a sizable voltage boost--which I'm afraid to do (currently hovering around 1.25-1.3). And squeezed a very little bit extra out of my HD7870, but like my CPU, it doesn't seem to want to go too far. First time OCing, so I'm happy to leave things where they are for now. I'm sure once I start playing FC3 I'll want to push it a bit further.

Anyhow, since everyone's on a thank you fest, I thought I'd join the party. Thanks for the help, folks. ;)

Are you not allowed to have two games downloading at once on Steam? Or at least have one queued? It just keeps suspending the download if I start another one... will it resume after one is downloaded? Gah, I want to leave it over-night and get both games loaded.

Are you not allowed to have two games downloading at once on Steam? Or at least have one queued? It just keeps suspending the download if I start another one... will it resume after one is downloaded? Gah, I want to leave it over-night and get both games loaded.
You can. Not sure why it's not working for you.

Ledsen

I dreamt that I was in some kind of flea market with my mom and they had a used GTX580 for $100. I was debating on whether to purchase it when I woke up. Also it was priced in dollars but I'm in Sweden. WTF GAF?

Hi, PC GAF. Contemplating building my first PC soon! Would really appreciate it if you guys could weigh in on the choices I've made after referring to Hazaro's PC Builds guide:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qRm2

I just want a sweet spot rig that can play most current-day PC games at 60 fps and 1080p without any real problem. Want to keep the price around $1150, including the monitor (which I need). Would all this get the job done?

Also...
PC Part Picker said:
Compatibility Notes
Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.
Any concern here? Would I really be missing out on anything by not having a USB 3.0-friendly case?

I really want to experience building my first gaming PC, GAF! Help me out! :)

Brofist

Have to replace my PSU, getting frequent shut downs while PC is under load all signs point to a bad PSU. What's the brand to go to these days? Corsair?

DagsJT

Macho likely won't give you speeds that can be hit with the CM212+/Xigmatek Gaia. IVB sips power, and when you hit the thermal/voltage wall, no amount of aluminum and copper will keep it cool.

You could easily drop down to a 550W PSU.

If you are interested in clocking your RAM at or around 2133, check out the Samsung 30nm RAM or Crucial's new 30nm RAM.

How would you rate the Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 against the CM212 Evo?

Milamber

I'm thinking of retiring my PC of 5 years. Can you tell me if the specs given below as a reasonable upgrade or is there some more improving to be done. Thanks.

My current rig:

MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R Rev. 2.0
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor
RAM: 6 GB DDR2 RAM
GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 460 Hawk
HDD: Western Digital 1TB SATA (7200RPM/ 4MB cache)

My planned rig:

MotherBoard: Asrock Z77E-ITX
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (may be overclockable to 4.6ghz)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 2000mhz
GPU: GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX 680 OC
HDD: M4 256 GB

Ledsen

I'm thinking of retiring my PC of 5 years. Can you tell me if the specs given below as a reasonable upgrade or is there some more improving to be done. Thanks.

My current rig:

My planned rig:

That's what I call an upgrade.

You WILL be sucked.

kharma45

My current rig:

My planned rig:

I'd change the 680 to a 670 and the RAM to the 30nm Samsung stuff, as well as the SSD to a Samsung 830.

kharma45

Yeah 7950 is the better value proposition but if you want to go Nvidia you're not going to go wrong with the 670 in the slightest.

Also, if you can't get the 830 (some places it looks like supply is occasionally running short) the M4 is still perfectly good too.

kharma45

Yeah true you can get the dual GPUs on one PCB, should've phrased it better as I meant a single GPU, not something like that or the 690.

I'm upgrading my motherboard and CPU.

On my old PC I have 2 x 2GB RAM.

I'm going to buy 2 x 4GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance).

Will I be able to use all four slots on the new motherboard to achieve a total of 12GB of RAM?

Edit: Googled and it seems I'll be able to do this.

Will I have to do it 2GB 2GB 4GB 4GB or 2GB 4GB 2GB 4GB? (Left to right in the diagram below)

Here an image of the configurations in the motherboard manual:

f5tNs.png

DagsJT

Get a 212 EVO

212 Evo and i30 both out of stock at Overclockers anyway. Trying to keep all of my parts to the same shop to minimise parts not arriving at the same time etc.

Any recommendations for anything other than those two from Overclockers.co.uk?

Whooter

I'm upgrading my motherboard and CPU.

On my old PC I have 2 x 2GB RAM.

I'm going to buy 2 x 4GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance).

Will I be able to use all four slots on the new motherboard to achieve a total of 12GB of RAM?

Edit: Googled and it seems I'll be able to do this.

Will I have to do it 2GB 2GB 4GB 4GB or 2GB 4GB 2GB 4GB? (Left to right in the diagram below)

Here an image of the configurations in the motherboard manual:

f5tNs.png

Keep the same size memory modules in the same color slots. (ie. The 4GBs in one color slot and the 2GBs in the other color)

Darte

Can anyone recommend a decent graphics card brand to SLI/Crossfire with cooling in mind?

Was looking into getting an Asus GTX 680 DC2, but the current model takes up 3 slots and the newer model that takes 2 slots is no where to be found.
Looked into the Radeon equivalent and found the same 3 slot problem.

Edit: I'm wanting to stay in the same 7970/GTX680 range.

garath

My 660ti is out for delivery today :) It's been awhile since I bought PC parts from newegg. Forgot how fast they were.

This will be a 100% improvement from my 460. Can't wait to plug it in and fire up some games.

Finally completes the i5 Sandy Bridge system I built last year. The 460 was just a $100 refurb stop gap upgrade from the 260.

Now I'm set for awhile. Maybe a new monitor or SSD drive next year but that'll be it.

Squall-25

Neo Member
Total War engine is quad threaded, which means that anything above 4 threads won't be used.

*edit*

Also, games like that, which are able to take advantage of more cores than games which typically place the bottleneck on the CPU like UE3 stuff which only uses 2 cores, almost always have a very tiny amount of CPU scaling. Shogun 2, for example, doesn't perform much differently on a low end Bulldozer (bad at gaming), than a 3930K/X with the same GPU. In fact, it's pretty much on par with a $100 i3.

You may be right but I'm confident that Rome Total war 2 will have a new or updated engine which will take advantage of the extra cores.

Smokey

So I boot up my computer this morning and something weird happens. After I log into windows, the welcome screen fades away really slow. Almost like it is moving in slow motion. My desktop finally comes up and programs are quick to open like they always are. I shut it down to leave for work and the same thing happens with the windows screen. Moves extremely slow, and then the computer finally shuts down.

What's going on here should I be concerned?

Want to build my first gaming PC, PC GAF. Came up with this list of parts after consulting Hazaro's PC builds:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech K800 Wireless Slim Keyboard

PC Part Picker said:
Compatibility Notes
Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.

...everything look good? Trying to keep everything under $1200, monitor-included, if possible. Really need some reassurance here, GAF! Pretty intimidated/excited by the whole prospect.

fatty

From an old thread (2010), here is my current setup:

i7 860 processor ($230 + tax at Microcenter)
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P motherboard ($170 after rebate + tax at Microcenter)
Antec 300 Case ($30 after promo and rebate)
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 sound card ($12 on clearance)
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V PSU ($70 after promo and rebate)
SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 video card ($150 after MIR)
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM Hard Drive w/ Thermaltake BlacX External 2.5/3.5" Serial ATA HDD USB Dock ($77 after combo promo at newegg)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($105)
SAMSUNG DVD Burner SH-S223L ($26)

Total ~$870

For the new build so far I have:

Fractal Design Arc Midi Case, $49.99
BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 Intel 7 Series Motherboard, $70 after rebate

Next is SSD and processor.

Was thinking about going for i7-3770K but I don't plan to be hardcore with the video editing or HD streaming, maybe just as a hobby on the side, so I've decided on the i5-3570K (currently $170 at Microcenter).

But SSD is what I now need help on.

Microcenter has this Samsung on sale for $160:
830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with 3-core MCX Controller

Should I try to stick with the 830 series instead of the newer 840 series? I've heard conflicting things. Thanks again for the help.

DagsJT

Want to build my first gaming PC, PC GAF. Came up with this list of parts after consulting Hazaro's PC builds:

...everything look good? Trying to keep everything under $1200, monitor-included, if possible. Really need some reassurance here, GAF! Pretty intimidated/excited by the whole prospect.

There's more knowledgeable people here but you might want a slight better PSU?

Finally settled on my new build and placed the order, due tomorrow:

£134.99 x 1 - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - OEM
£74.99 x 1 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
£79.16 x 1 - XFX 850W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Silver' Power Supply [P1-850B-UKB9]
£41.66 x 1 - Corsair Carbide 200R Compact ATX Case - Black - with FREE Corsair Dual Pack AF120 Performance Fans
£24.99 x 1 - Alpenföhn Matterhorn Pure Edition CPU Cooler (Socket LGA2011/1366/1155/1156/775/ AMD AM3/AM3+/AM2/AM2+/FM1)
£24.99 x 1 - Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
£0.00 x 1 - Corsair CO-9050004-WW / 120mm Dual Pack Fans - PROMO FOR CASES!

Thanks for the help from people in here :)

USB 3.0 compatibility is sort of a non-issue for me. Should I care about the incompatibility between the HAF 912 case and Hazaro's recommended "Best Value" motherboards, PC GAF?
How much are you paying for the motherboard, might want to save yourself a few bucks and go with this one:

BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 Intel 7 Series Motherboard, $70 after rebate (also on the OP list, under "Excellent - Best Overall" build)
That's close to $60 cheaper than what PC Part Picker is telling me the current lowest price for a Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 is! Thanks a lot!

And both of these motherboards are listed under the "Enhanced - Best Value" guide (which is what I was using for cost-related reasons), so I assume either is fine for my build.
DagsJT said:
There's more knowledgeable people here but you might want a slight better PSU?
Just went with the Power Supply recommended by Hazaro in his Enhanced - Best Value guide. Totally open to other suggestions if this is true, though. Don't want to skimp on something as important as power.

Lkr

I'm concerned that an ssd will be too small for my brother's case. What else would I fit in a 2.5" slot?

kharma45

Keyboard: Logitech K800 Wireless Slim Keyboard.

If you're not wholly set on Nvidia the AMD 7950 is a better buy, plus you get a few free games thrown in too.

Change the RAM to the Samsung 30nm Green stuff and I'd change your PSU too to something with a wee bit more juice, 550w would suffice. Look at the XFX Core series (Seasonic made) as an alternative.

n0n44m

So I boot up my computer this morning and something weird happens. After I log into windows, the welcome screen fades away really slow. Almost like it is moving in slow motion. My desktop finally comes up and programs are quick to open like they always are. I shut it down to leave for work and the same thing happens with the windows screen. Moves extremely slow, and then the computer finally shuts down.

have the same thing once every couple of weeks ... both with my P8Z68-V PRO and when I still had the older P8P67 PRO

so I wouldn't worry about it :)

garath

I don't know what that particular motherboard's layout looks like but you may want to go with the low profile corsair Vengeance RAM with the 212. I ended up RMA'ing my Vengeance RAM for the low profile because I couldn't fit the fan on the right side of the cooler with how tall the RAM was.

My board is an MSI though, like I said, don't know about the Asus so it's only a thought.

scogoth

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't someone choose low profile? Just for cosmetic appeal?

Because there never used to be as low profile as samsung's ram. Also in the days of 1.65V and 2200mhz+ speeds those tall heatsinks were needed to cool the ram.

mkenyon

Banned

Your computer is giving you a preview of the Texans playoff performance.

I'd swap the video card to a 7950, the PSU to the Antec BP550, and the RAM to something low profile.
From an old thread (2010), here is my current setup:

For the new build so far I have:

Fractal Design Arc Midi Case, $49.99
BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 Intel 7 Series Motherboard, $70 after rebate

Next is SSD and processor.

Was thinking about going for i7-3770K but I don't plan to be hardcore with the video editing or HD streaming, maybe just as a hobby on the side, so I've decided on the i5-3570K (currently $170 at Microcenter).

But SSD is what I now need help on.

Microcenter has this Samsung on sale for $160:
830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with 3-core MCX Controller

Should I try to stick with the 830 series instead of the newer 840 series? I've heard conflicting things. Thanks again for the help.
Looks great so far, and the 830 is a great SSD. Best out there still.

Gueras

Banned
Just bought yesterday:

Core i7 3770
Asus M PRO z77
Gigabyte HD7970

I just hope i didn't regret for not wait for i7 4xxx series and HD 8xxx series

upgrading from a core i5 750 and a HD 5850

How future-proof is an i5-2500k? Say, running at 4Ghz? What kind of game would ever make this the bottleneck?

I've got a 660 Ti and will probably buy a another once the 700 series comes out to run in SLI. I really only plan on gaming at 1080p or the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom