• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
In your guys opinion, G850 with better gpu or i3 3220 with not as good gpu? Working on a cheap build for my brother (~$500) and I'm thinking it'd be better to go with the i3, but I'm not sure. He plans to play games on it, by the way.
Which gpus are you considering? What resolution will he be running?

kharma45

In your guys opinion, G850 with better gpu or i3 3220 with not as good gpu? Working on a cheap build for my brother (~$500) and I'm thinking it'd be better to go with the i3, but I'm not sure. He plans to play games on it, by the way.

Depends on what the GPUs would be but I'd lean towards the Pentium.

mkenyon

Banned
And the BF3 graph is clearly very GPU limited!

A 300Mhz speed bump does not make up for losing 2 cores and we are talking about the effect of less cores between CPU's of the same microarchitecture, the fact that AMD CPUs are slower than Intel CPUs (even with more cores) is irreverent.
Though the evidence you posted is really questionable, which is why I disregarded it (the first link has game benches without a discrete GPU, the second lists absolutely no methodology), I took another look at some more reliable tests and you are indeed correct. Best link I could find that listed a clear methodology that has both an i3 and the locked i5 is here.

That BF3 benchmark I posted was on a 7970. That's the whole point of what I was getting at though, games that are efficiently coded are almost always bottlenecked by the GPU.

In the high clocking i3 vs. locked i5 debate, you are right on.

*edit* Though even in that link, it is a 3.1, and the one that the guy was asking about was 2.8 or 2.7 or something like that.

I wanted to get some opinions and possibly suggestions from you beautiful gaffers. My current rig is:

• GPU - 1GB 4890
  • CPU - Phenom II X3 720
  • RAM - 4 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

This machine has been fantastic for ~3.5 years, but it is getting a little long in the tooth. I play everything at 1080p. I've started playing Saints Row since the THQ Humble Bundle promotion and it chugs quite a bit. I suspect this has a lot to do with the notorious AMD drivers, so I am thinking I might look into an Nvidia for my next card. There have also been a few games (most notably Metro 2033) that I have but am reluctant to play because the framerate is so unstable at 1080p

I am thinking I will probably wait for a whole new machine until around this time next year. I want to see what the next consoles have and try to build a pc that will be able to easily play all the console ports at the start of next-gen without any issue. I am considering whether I should by a new gpu now as a stopgap or just wait until next year and do a full hardware refresh.

I would be willing to spend up to $150 but would be much happier spending closer to $100. I would also be open to a used part if anyone here is looking to sell something.

Anyways, thanks for taking to read all that. All opinions/suggestions are appreciated.

Shambles

I wanted to get some opinions and possibly suggestions from you beautiful gaffers. My current rig is:

• GPU - 1GB 4890
  • CPU - Phenom II X3 720
  • RAM - 4 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

This machine has been fantastic for ~3.5 years, but it is getting a little long in the tooth. I play everything at 1080p. I've started playing Saints Row since the THQ Humble Bundle promotion and it chugs quite a bit. I suspect this has a lot to do with the notorious AMD drivers, so I am thinking I might look into an Nvidia for my next card. There have also been a few games (most notably Metro 2033) that I have but am reluctant to play because the framerate is so unstable at 1080p

I am thinking I will probably wait for a whole new machine until around this time next year. I want to see what the next consoles have and try to build a pc that will be able to easily play all the console ports at the start of next-gen without any issue. I am considering whether I should by a new gpu now as a stopgap or just wait until next year and do a full hardware refresh.

I would be willing to spend up to $150 but would be much happier spending closer to $100. I would also be open to a used part if anyone here is looking to sell something.

Anyways, thanks for taking to read all that. All opinions/suggestions are appreciated.

No.... just no.

Anyways at $100-150 your only real options are the 7750 or 7700. nVidia doesn't have anything competitive at that range.

Back with sound woes. Got an R4, and its great. Only problem is I still have a slight humming when the computer is at idle. Don't know what it is. Again, I have SLI 580 (stock EVGA) which could be the issue but I run that power mgmt software to keep the clocks and fans low at idle. Have a 212+ for a CPU cooler. Also, I have a Caviar Black which is loud as hell, but I can tell that this noise isn't it. Any things I should look at?

Back with sound woes. Got an R4, and its great. Only problem is I still have a slight humming when the computer is at idle. Don't know what it is. Again, I have SLI 580 (stock EVGA) which could be the issue but I run that power mgmt software to keep the clocks and fans low at idle. Have a 212+ for a CPU cooler. Also, I have a Caviar Black which is loud as hell, but I can tell that this noise isn't it. Any things I should look at?

Do people actually have PCs that are dead silent? Mine always has a bit of a hum from all the fans but I don't really mind it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/rnpo

Things it needs to do and needs to do well:

Mechwarrior Online (and similar CryEngine 3 based titles). I want this full tilt, ultra settings, 60 FPS. @1080
Hawken/Tribes Ascend (UE3 stuff shouldn't be an issue, I imagine) Also 60@1080@Ultra
Dolphin (There's a handful of Wii games that I stopped playing because I wanted to give 'em a go on Dolphin, but my current 4 year old machine can't do it justice)
Planetside 2 (I hear there are issues with Planetside right now that seem somewhat independent of the machine it's running on, but I would still like to be able to run the thing pretty well.)
A capable and upgrade friendly platform for the likes of games due out in two years (such as Star Citizen). Say, hopefully at that time all I'd need to step up would be video card.
Project CARS (I haven't much of an idea on the reqs for this but I heard it's CPU intensive?)

Crysis 3 itself looks like it might request a 680 for the balls-to-the-wall full bore mode. Is it worth the step-up for that card at this point? Should bother for it now, or is the performance jump negligible for the cost? And more to the point, is a single card solution like a 680 better than, say, in a year buying another 670 and running SLi?

Issues/recommendations/changes?

I would like a suggestion for a suitable heat sink, also, if possible.

I haven't gone watercooled in this particular case because many posters in this thread have said not to bother initially. Maybe down the line or if someone can suggest a good kit for these parts, (would I need a RAM cooling module, how indepth should I go for the loop, etc.)

jsrv

Have an R4 as well and I also hear humming; I did take out the black covering on top to install a fan though so maybe that's what I'm hearing. Loudest HDD I have is probably the WD Blue, I have the same CPU cooler and my GPU is a Gigabyte 670.

kakashi08

Does it matter if I only have 1 crossfire bridge connected instead of two?
and does it matter on which side i have it connected to, right or left.

Also: a benchmark question for games. Which is a good "program" to check benchmarking. I've never done it before. Usually I just play the games, never tested benchmarks before.

mkenyon

Banned
Put your finger on fans and put pressure on specific points to try and narrow it down.
Do people actually have PCs that are dead silent? Mine always has a bit of a hum from all the fans but I don't really mind it.
Just sold one that I can't hear over any sort of ambient noise.

My main machine would be ambient noise levels if it weren't for the pump hum, which isn't very loud at all.

Mechwarrior Online (and similar CryEngine 3 based titles). I want this full tilt, ultra settings, 60 FPS. @1080
Hawken/Tribes Ascend (UE3 stuff shouldn't be an issue, I imagine) Also 60@1080@Ultra
Dolphin (There's a handful of Wii games that I stopped playing because I wanted to give 'em a go on Dolphin, but my current 4 year old machine can't do it justice)
Planetside 2 (I hear there are issues with Planetside right now that seem somewhat independent of the machine it's running on, but I would still like to be able to run the thing pretty well.)
A capable and upgrade friendly platform for the likes of games due out in two years (such as Star Citizen). Say, hopefully at that time all I'd need to step up would be video card.
Project CARS (I haven't much of an idea on the reqs for this but I heard it's CPU intensive?)

Crysis 3 itself looks like it might request a 680 for the balls-to-the-wall full bore mode. Is it worth the step-up for that card at this point? Should bother for it now, or is the performance jump negligible for the cost? And more to the point, is a single card solution like a 680 better than, say, in a year buying another 670 and running SLi?

I haven't gone watercooled in this particular case because many posters in this thread have said not to bother initially. Maybe down the line or if someone can suggest a good kit for these parts, (would I need a RAM cooling module, how indepth should I go for the loop, etc.)
Lots of places to trim the budget on this guy.

1) Swap 3770K for 3570K unless you are going to be doing multimedia creation.
2) Swap the RAM you have selected for this, or this.
3) Get a better case. If you want something white, look at the Define R4, CoolerMaster Stryker, NZXT Switch 810, and BitFenix Shinobi XL. The Fractal Arc Midi, Lian Li PC-7HX, HAF XM, and Silverstone TJ04 are all good options too.
4) Swap PSU for this if you get a second 670, or this if you are going to stick with a single 670.

About your requirements, no one knows for sure what those beta titles will require once optimized. Can't give you any guarantees.

UE3 games will require you to clock your processor to the 4.3-4.5 region in order to maintain a good framerate. It's heavily processor bound. The most out there next to Starcraft 2.

Only SLI if you are willing to deal with random patches and workarounds to get it going on newly released titles.

Watercooling is fun, but a very expensive hobby ($500 budget to be safe) and it's only really worth it for people who like to constantly tinker with hardware.

For a heatsink, it's hard to beat the Hyper 212 or Xigmatek Gaia.

Also: a benchmark question for games. Which is a good "program" to check benchmarking. I've never done it before. Usually I just play the games, never tested benchmarks before.
Do you mean synthetic benchmarks? 3DMark11 and Heaven. Do you mean just looking at your FPS while in game to get an idea of what's going on? Use MSI afterburner or FRAPS.

Only connect one.

kharma45

Don't bother with a 680, the 670 is almost equally as good as it http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=555

Take a look at the 7970 if you want the fastest single GPU around http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=618

Also, change your SSD to a Samsung 830 and the RAM to something lower profile like this stuff, as well as changing to 8GB http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096&Tpk=MV-3V4G3D

Drop the sound card too. Mkenyon will be able to say whether I'm right on this front or not either but I don't see the need for the 3770k, the 3570K with a good OC will more than suffice imo.

I like using Heaven 3.0 myself.

As close to $500 as possible. Going to have to buy Windows also, unfortunately, so I don't think a 7850 will work :/

What about looking at a used one? Going by Newegg prices for new 6870s and 7850s there is only $15 in it if you go for the 1GB version of the 7850.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So I currently have a i3/h77/7770 set up. Would it be worth the trouble returning the 7770, and grabbing a 7970, 7950 or even a 7850? I paid a $100 for the 7770, the 7850 is only $80 more.

Or should I just wait out until the next set of cards?

Ty4on

Sure. Back in 2010 Silverstone made a fanless promo build of the FT03 and there have been many other fanless builds. You can buy big heatsinks that cool i5s and i7s fanless, fanless PSUs and fanless low end GPUs or high en fadnless coolers for higher end GPUs like the 680.

With the low TDP of the kepler cards and Intel CPUs and cheap SSDs it's probably not that hard any more. Sucks if you get a GPU with lot's of coil whine though...

x3r0123

not sure why you need 3770k when 3570k would be good imo. Unless you need to have it.

I mentioned above the ram. At that price they are a steal but you only need 8gb. More ram doesnt hurt though

if you are going with an ssd then get 256gb one

sound card - if you really want the quality then get it. other than that you can use that money on something else

case - get an r4 :D. its a mid tower though
OS - there isnt much of a difference with pro and home other than the xp compability so get home
PSU - what mkenyon said

you can compare to what i'm building.
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/roZp

edit: try to PM memory express as they like to give a lower price

Case: ($49.99, NCIX.com) Cooler Master HAF 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound
Motherboard: ($89.99, 69.99 w/ rebate - NewEgg) BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
CPU: ($129.99, NewEgg) Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220
GPU: (FREE?) EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card * - I have a couple, I can plugin one and see if it works.
RAM: ($34.99, Amazon.com) Samsung Extreme Low Voltage 30nm UDIMM 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM MV-3V4G3D/US
HDD: (FREE) Western Digital WD Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive * - Will put it in new build, 750 GB is enough for me... for now.
PSU: ($39.99, NewEgg) Antec VP-450 450 Watt Energy Star Certified Power Supply

PartPicker

Started my build and everything is just about done... until I forgot that of my 2 hard drives only 1 is SATA. My optical drive was top of the line ... in 2005 (Pioneer DVD+RW 109 LOL). So, I need to buy a new hard drive that'll be the OS platform/programs so I don't have to deal with re-installs for changing OSes, switch my current 750 GB to just a data drive, and buy a cheap DVD+RW in the $20-30 range. Buying a new hard drive annoys me to no end, I could've bought two last year before the prices jumped, but my old 200 GB Maxtor was running fine, so I wimped out...

As I said, the new HDD will ONLY BE for the OS and Installed Programs. I was thinking of something like the Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive or the Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive.

As for the optical... I was told the Asus ones are pretty damn good. Suggestions would be more than appreciated.

ATF487

Yay, my video card is working now!

I was so confused as to why it looked like ass through HDMI; I had to rename the HDMI port on my monitor from "PC DVI" to "PC." Otherwise it downscales it and then upscales it for some reason...

tarheel91

Back again with my latest hiccup.

I've got a Radeon 7950 with the latest driver. It should have Open CL 1.2 support. However, upon opening GPU-Z it tells me it's disabled, and when I try to run Luxmark (Open CL benchmark) the program won't run. I've already tried turning off the integrated graphics and it didn't solve the problem. The general consensus online is it's the integrated graphics drivers messing things up, but I've got integrated graphics turned off. Any ideas on what else I can do?

I'd also like to point out that I can see the package responsible for Open CL upon installation of the driver. It's there, but for some reason it won't work.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Don't you mean 1GB USB sticks?

The day when that is enough can't come quickly enough...

I like Ubuntu, but if you're implying that Windows will die off...let's be realistic. Windows AIO installers are somewhere closer to 6-8 GB. And doesn't flash tend to be faster with capacity? With SSDs it does, but I'm not sure if chips are parallel with USB flash.

But yes I agree. USB is so much faster now. USB 3.0 can go as fast as SATA 6 Gb, but I'm sure by the time that happens there will be SATA 12 Gb or Express or whatever they want to call it.

Linux is certainly ahead here. If anyone knows of any professional utilities that are thoroughly tested with Windows PM me.

Longer term I think what will kill the need for bootable media is some sort of standardized baseline networking driver, so that motherboards can boot into a network and purchase/download/install operating systems.

teh_pwn

Is USB 3.0 flash drive good enough for a windows install?

To boot from? Not sure if you can do that. You can do that with Linux LIVE.

To install from, only Windows 8 will work. Windows 7 can work with USB 2.0. Unless that tool posted earlier from MS fixes that.

Is USB 3.0 flash drive good enough for a windows install?

I might be wrong but I'm not sure if a USB 3 drive will work for a Windows 7 install because 7 does not come with USB 3 drivers and will therefore not be visible when you go to boot it up. Windows 8 does come with it's own USB 3 drivers though, so you'd be good if you're using 8.

Edit: Beaten.

teh_pwn

I might be wrong but I'm not sure if a USB 3 drive will work for a Windows 7 install because 7 does not come with USB 3 drivers and will therefore not be visible when you go to boot it up. Windows 8 does come with it's own USB 3 drivers though, so you'd be good if you're using 8.

Edit: Beaten.

That's correct. But you can plug in a USB 3.0 device in a 2.0 port just fine.

zychi

Banned
I currently run:
Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Total available graphics memory 4855 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3831 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.2.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10
With 8gigs of ram and a i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz and a 460w PSU

I plan on purchasing this video card Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 7950

I'm trying to buy a 1000w power supply to go along with it, but don't want to spend more than $150. I have no idea what I'm looking for.

My Search Results show a bunch of differently priced Power Supplies, and I have no idea why some are so cheap and why some are almost $200.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

saelz8

Back again with my latest hiccup.

I've got a Radeon 7950 with the latest driver. It should have Open CL 1.2 support. However, upon opening GPU-Z it tells me it's disabled, and when I try to run Luxmark (Open CL benchmark) the program won't run. I've already tried turning off the integrated graphics and it didn't solve the problem. The general consensus online is it's the integrated graphics drivers messing things up, but I've got integrated graphics turned off. Any ideas on what else I can do?

I'd also like to point out that I can see the package responsible for Open CL upon installation of the driver. It's there, but for some reason it won't work.

Do you have the latest BETA driver? It's worth a try.

zychi

Banned
Your current psu is probably fine. What model is it?

it says 460w ATX power supply.

visiting random forums, it seems that this particular power supply can't run a gtx450, so i was assuming I needed a new PSU in order to run this video card.

Lkr

it says 460w ATX power supply.

visiting random forums, it seems that this particular power supply can't run a gtx450, so i was assuming I needed a new PSU in order to run this video card.
It depends on the power supply. 460w doesn't mean anything. Did you buy it on newegg? Any idea of the brand or model?

zychi

Banned
It depends on the power supply. 460w doesn't mean anything. Did you buy it on newegg? Any idea of the brand or model?

prebuilt dell xps 8300 with a radeon 5770 in it. i was given it for cheap. just trying to add a video card in it that can last me a few years and max out my bf3 on ultra.

saelz8

I currently run:

With 8gigs of ram and a i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz and a 460w PSU

I plan on purchasing this video card Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 7950

I'm trying to buy a 1000w power supply to go along with it, but don't want to spend more than $150. I have no idea what I'm looking for.

My Search Results show a bunch of differently priced Power Supplies, and I have no idea why some are so cheap and why some are almost $200.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

You won't get a quality 1000W for under 150. 750 W would be just fine, and then some, for your setup. Mind you, 750W isn't even necessary for your setup. You would be fine on 500W.

SeaSonic 750W Power Supply X750 Gold

HX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold

I can vouch for the HX750. Don't skimp on your PSU. It's better for you to get a quality 750W than a crappy 1000W.

That 7950 is much cheaper on Newegg. FREE SHIPPING as well.

Lkr

prebuilt dell xps 8300 with a radeon 5770 in it. i was given it for cheap. just trying to add a video card in it that can last me a few years and max out my bf3 on ultra.
Dell power supplies were very good circa 4-5 years ago, not sure how they are now. Someone else should chime in though with the current state

scogoth

Though the evidence you posted is really questionable, which is why I disregarded it (the first link has game benches without a discrete GPU, the second lists absolutely no methodology), I took another look at some more reliable tests and you are indeed correct. Best link I could find that listed a clear methodology that has both an i3 and the locked i5 is here.

That BF3 benchmark I posted was on a 7970. That's the whole point of what I was getting at though, games that are efficiently coded are almost always bottlenecked by the GPU.

In the high clocking i3 vs. locked i5 debate, you are right on.

*edit* Though even in that link, it is a 3.1, and the one that the guy was asking about was 2.8 or 2.7 or something like that.

Sorry late to the BF3 party but I its pretty much to only game I play and have spent a ton tweaking it and testing it so I wanted to chime in

BF3 is heavily optimized as mkenyon said for multi core CPUs and extremely intensive on GPUs making it almost irrelevant which CPU you have (like the graph shows). That being said I have found one use case where it is CPU bound, triple screens..... Although its weird that GPU power should be more of an issue pushing more pixels I can run it at low/med/high even some ultra with no difference in fps yet pushing my CPU antoher 100Mhz help be gain an extra 5fps.

x79 time?

zychi

Banned
You really don't need that much though. The minimum 500w needed for a video card spec is BS

do you recommend I order the card, and just try it without purchasing a psu? is there any issues that would actually hurt my computer if the psu can't handle it?

Lkr

do you recommend I order the card, and just try it without purchasing a psu? is there any issues that would actually hurt my computer if the psu can't handle it?
You could damage hardware. What do you have running with the system? How many hard drives, optical drives, etc?

Dell used to underrate their power supplies and I doubt they've changed since they'd rather be safe than sorry. I used to run an 8800gt, two DVD drives and two hard drives on what they considered a 350w psu back in 08. Also used a pentium d which I'm sure is a lot more power hungry than an i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom