• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Just received all my gear today. Before I start putting it together is there any advice words of wisdom I can use? How long should this take me to do including the installation of OS? Any potential issues I may run into that are common to people who are rusty on on building rigs? Thanks in advance

20121206_173230.jpg
Take your time. Getting it together is an amazingly exciting prospect, but with that much legit gear in your system, you want to do it up right. Take time with the cable management, planning use of space, getting the fan configuration just right. Holy shit at that UP7. Ordering mine tomorrow I think :p

There's a cable management guide, as well as a build guide in the OP I did up with pictures. Lots of little tidbits on how to organize everything and go about putting it together. Some good videos too.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/677?vs=363
(note, anandtech does not have game benchmarks for the ivy bridge quad core).

http://www.computerbase.de/news/2012-11/eigene-benchmarks-zu-assassins-creed-iii/

More and more games will need quad core CPU's in the future (and Hyperthreading can even hurt performance in some games).
There aren't any benchmarks in that first link that really have anything to do with gaming. The second is just assassin's creed, and gives credence to my claim that frequency is king.

In this, the 920, Phenom IIs, and FX 8150 are all quad (8150 technically octo, but it's really 4 combo-cores) and perform worse than Ivy because of the instructions per clock, frequency, and efficiency.

Here's Civ V, one of the very few games that is n-threaded, meaning it can take advantage of however many cores one has. Almost no difference between processors.

uukgd.png

Here's BF3, which is very efficiently coded to use 4 cores.

IuQSB.png

The only games that have a significant CPU bottleneck are more constrained by frequency and instructions per clock than any other meaningful stat.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Overclocked to 4.4GHz and testing now, hope it holds.

The Asrock BIOS is kind of jank. Can't set the CPU voltage, the only option is Offset Mode (which I still don't fully understand), and only Auto/100%/50%/0% options for Load Line Calibration.

Bleether

Banned
Take your time. Getting it together is an amazingly exciting prospect, but with that much legit gear in your system, you want to do it up right. Take time with the cable management, planning use of space, getting the fan configuration just right. Holy shit at that UP7. Ordering mine tomorrow I think :p

+1

I would be so methodical with everything too! I am a hands on kind of person who loves modding. Taking my time to do everything perfectly would be as much fun as playing the games on it when its finished.

Nice stuff man! sooo legit.

Lkr

are WD green drives usually 5400rpm? I have a WD Elements external hard drive and I was going to pop it open and use it, but I don't think it's worth it if its only 5400rpm

Overclocked to 4.4GHz and testing now, hope it holds.

The Asrock BIOS is kind of jank. Can't set the CPU voltage, the only option is Offset Mode (which I still don't fully understand), and only Auto/100%/50%/0% options for Load Line Calibration.

Here's a guide written specifically for overclocking on an ASRock BIOS, if it helps.

mkenyon

Banned
are WD green drives usually 5400rpm? I have a WD Elements external hard drive and I was going to pop it open and use it, but I don't think it's worth it if its only 5400rpm
They're 'Intelli Speed' or something like that. Supposedly variable from 5400rpm to 5900rpm.

Lkr

They're 'Intelli Speed' or something like that. Supposedly variable from 5400rpm to 5900rpm.

bleh. part of me thinks it might have better performance than an older drive I have and it also has more cache. still torn on what to do though since i can't afford a new drive at these outrageous prices

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
From a USB to an SSD it's really quick to install an OS.

It's gotten to the point where OSes should seriously ship on 8 GB USB 3.0 devices. I think the only thing stopping it is the few bucks more it costs. The speed difference is huge. Heck you can boot Linux LIVE on USB faster than 3 year old PCs can boot from HDD.

Hey, so I'm going to make a new build very soon. I've decided to spend the money on an i5 CPU (specifically an Core i5-3570K). Is there any major differences between them? The most intensive workout I'll be giving them is gaming as well as some light music production. Is there any reason I should go with another i5 instead, or even an i3? And what suggestions are there for a good, affordable motherboard to go along with it? I was looking at this one:

The most important question I have is about cooling. Is there any sort of guideline that I should follow, or any FAQ online that has some good info about this? I have been playing a lot more games on my PC in the past few years, and I wanna make sure it can stay cool and last longer than my last rig. My bedroom gets rather warm and is very dusty. So I would like to do this right.

Demy

Been referencing the last thread and this one over the past year and haven't said thanks to Hazaro and mkenyon. Much appreciate all the info, fellas.

I'm looking to buy a <$100 case that has lots of flashy light options even if I'll need to buy the lights later. Making a low budget pc for a nephew. Any suggestions?

jon_dojah

Banned
Wow it took me 6 hours to finally start the windows 7 install. I think having this bad cold is what did me in. I feel so icky i took numerous breaks between all the steps. My cpu is running about 25° during the bios. Im glad everything went well. I need to re route my cables better. Im only running 1 gpu. Ill add the other after I try far cry without sli. I'll try to OC after I get a better feel so maybe next week. Thanks for everyones advice especially mkenyon. You lead me down the right path straight up!

TheD

The Detective
There aren't any benchmarks in that first link that really have anything to do with gaming. The second is just assassin's creed, and gives credence to my claim that frequency is king.

The first link has 7 game benchmarks.
The second link shows 2 cores only getting 56% of the performance as 4 cores at the same clock speed!

In this, the 920, Phenom IIs, and FX 8150 are all quad (8150 technically octo, but it's really 4 combo-cores) and perform worse than Ivy because of the instructions per clock, frequency, and efficiency.

7sbyp.png

Here's Civ V, one of the very few games that is n-threaded, meaning it can take advantage of however many cores one has. Almost no difference between processors.

uukgd.png

Here's BF3, which is very efficiently coded to use 4 cores.

IuQSB.png

The only games that have a significant CPU bottleneck are more constrained by frequency and instructions per clock than any other meaningful stat.

Your borderlands 2 graph only has intel quad cores (and up) and even the lower end Athlon II x4 CPU (with a lower clock speed) beats the 2 core Phenom II!

The Civ5 graph is quad cores and up only!
You do not get linear core scaling in most programs!

And the BF3 graph is clearly very GPU limited!

A 300Mhz speed bump does not make up for losing 2 cores and we are talking about the effect of less cores between CPU's of the same microarchitecture, the fact that AMD CPUs are slower than Intel CPUs (even with more cores) is irreverent.

Wow it took me 6 hours to finally start the windows 7 install. I think having this bad cold is what did me in. I feel so icky i took numerous breaks between all the steps. My cpu is running about 25° during the bios. Im glad everything went well. I need to re route my cables better. Im only running 1 gpu. Ill add the other after I try far cry without sli. I'll try to OC after I get a better feel so maybe next week. Thanks for everyones advice especially mkenyon. You lead me down the right path straight up!

A great help for overclocking 670s if you happen to need any:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

Veelk

Banned
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade, but I have no idea what I exactly need to change about my comp. Here's what I got

HD4890
ASUS P6T SE
INTEL|CORE I7
CORSAIR XMS3

Budget: Not really a concern but something below $500 would be nice

What I like to use my PC for is gaming, and it can run most games fine on the highest possible settings...but not Crysis (and certainly not with ultra high setting mods added to the mix), Batman AC, or some Dolphin Emulation games. I don't think I need to replace my entire computer to make this work, but I'm pretty sure I atleast need a new graphics card. If there is anything else I need, let me know.

Birbo

Alright I can't seem to find any good sales on the 830 or the M4 so I'm looking at other ssd's. How this one? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R67FNA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 I looked at a review on TweakTown(no idea how trustworthy they are) and they said it's pretty good.

TigerDirect has 120GB Samsung 840 Series 2.5" SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD (MZ-7TD120BW) for$109.99 - $40 Rebate = $69.99. Shipping is $5.

Also available, TigerDirect has 250GB Samsung 840 Series 2.5" SATA III TLC SSD (MZ-7TD250BW) + Far Cry 3 Game Coupon (PC Digital Download) for $189.99 - $40 Rebate = $149.99 with free shipping.

Rebate is only good for purchases made between today and Dec. 10 so act fast!

garath

So, there is an issue with my router not being able to load videos quickly. I think I may just need to buy a new router. Any suggestions on a reliable, cheapish ($50-100) router?

I have DD-WRT on an E1000 Linksys router right now. Everything else is as fast as it should be, its only youtube and other video streaming sites that take forever, on my phone, tablet or PC. I've looked into the problem and I can't pin it down, I've tried multiple things. I'm just going to try getting a new router :-(.

I just bought this a month ago to replace my aging DLINK gaming router. My old router was dropping wireless signals all the time and required a reboot 2-3x a week. It got old fast.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096239FG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Buffalo gives me a better signal throughout the house, is just as fast and ships with DD-WRT. For $50, what's not to love? (it's actually lower price than when I bought it. I got it for $58). It hasn't dropped a wireless signal yet. In fact it hasn't even required a reboot at all since I configured it. Very happy with it.

Not sure if this is the right area, but it's kind of computer related.

I'm replacing a old monitor with a cheap IPS panel. I'm looking at the Dell S2340L

(http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...ynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=6&baynote_irrank=0)

I'm wondering about HDCP. This monitor has a HDMI port but the specs make no mention of HDCP. Do all HDMI ports support HDCP? Or are there HDMI ports that do not support HDCP?

I've heard the PS3 requires HDCP and won't display if a monitor does not have that feature.

Thanks!

Mordeccai

Put my build together last night. My first one since I was a kid with my dad! Cable management leaves a bit to be desired, especially the case fan that stretches right across the middle but I had no idea what else to do with it.

The wireless adapter I bought doesn't have drivers that support Windows 8, which sucks. I just ran a long ethernet cable to it for internet access for now.

What programs do you all usually install as soon as you get a computer up and running? Need an antivirus. Of course I have already installed steam.

Mordeccai

Use www.ninite.com for all the little free apps you need to install. It's a godsend.

Wow, this is amazing. Thanks!

DagsJT said:
Really annoys me whenfans have short leads and you can't tuck them behind the system board.

Yeah it was irritating me last night. I could have hooked it up to a molex and wired it behind the board to the PSU but I would rather have the mobo throttling fan speeds than give it constant power.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Put my build together last night. My first one since I was a kid with my dad! Cable management leaves a bit to be desired, especially the case fan that stretches right across the middle but I had no idea what else to do with it.

The wireless adapter I bought doesn't have drivers that support Windows 8, which sucks. I just ran a long ethernet cable to it for internet access for now.

What programs do you all usually install as soon as you get a computer up and running? Need an antivirus. Of course I have already installed steam.
That's basically the setup I was looking to get (if that's an 7870) but I'm gonna wait in case I can get something better by end of March, I'm worried it's not going to cut it for Crysis 3 which is only the first of many as demanding games that will show up.

I just want my rig to last a while again. This one lasted okay, but the last couple years there are the odd games I can't run well enough to have fun (BF3, TW2, ARMA, FC3 was passable, etc).

How much did this cost you? Man I wish I was paying in USD, getting so ripped off here...

garath

I think I'm sold on the Sensei Laser Mouse. Any pros and cons for the glossy black versus the rubberized black version? I'm leaning towards the rubberized black model.

Yeah, my first logitech mouse treated me well. This one last only a little over a year, unfortunately. Good fortune with my first Logitech mouse made me go buy another. But it's time to move on to something else.

I'm a little sad I missed the SteelSeries sale. The Sensei Raw was $42 or something. The next sale on that mouse I'm going to pick it up.

I like my mx518 a lot but it can't last forever.

Mordeccai

That's basically the setup I was looking to get (if that's an 7870) but I'm gonna wait in case I can get something better by end of March, I'm worried it's not going to cut it for Crysis 3 which is only the first of many as demanding games that will show up.

I just want my rig to last a while again. This one lasted okay, but the last couple years there are the odd games I can't run well enough to have fun (BF3, TW2, ARMA, FC3 was passable, etc).

How much did this cost you? Man I wish I was paying in USD, getting so ripped off here...

Yup 7870. I'm sure the card will run crysis 3 but nowhere near max haha. Ran somewhere between 890-900 dollars including windows 8, keyboard and mouse.

Some of the prices on parts outside the us are insane from what i have seen in this forum

Ty4on

Really annoys me when fans have short leads and you can't tuck them behind the system board.

Maybe some cases with fan controllers have this, but it would be awesome with fan power next to every fan and molex power connector behind the motherboard. It's also really hard on some mobos with big cooling in the way (sabertooth T.T) to pull those fan connectors out.

scogoth

Is there any news of GK110 going into a consumer card?

I want triple screen with good performance without SLI.

I think it still will not be good enough. GK110 is a beast for compute tasks but won't represent a massive improvement for graphics tasks over the GK104. I also have to say that triple screen is extremely resource intensive with poorly optimized drivers and if you want acceptable performance you will have to go multi GPU. Running BF3 at medium/high settings with 2 680s I still only get around 60fps with dips to 30.

mkenyon

Banned
Heads up to those that live near a Frys. They are selling Samsung and ASUS 120hz monitors at clearance prices in store. S23A750D (DP only, no dual link DVI) $250, S23A950D (both DP and dual link) $350, the ASUS VG236 (I think is the right model number....) $250 (dual link only, no DP) $250.
Is there any news of GK110 going into a consumer card?

I want triple screen with good performance without SLI.
Lots of rumors back and forth. There's a lot coming out saying it's not the graphics performer that it was once rumored as. The compute performance is through the roof, but I guess it doesn't hold up as well on the graphics side of things. I've seen more rumors that there will *not* be one than that there will.
Looking for a headset or mic/headphone combo for a gift. Has anyone had experience with clip on mics? I saw this and it looked intriguing. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029MTMQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Then i'd want to find a decent pair of headphones around $20-30. Thoughts?
It's not great, but works if you don't play srs comp games. They pick up tons of feedback and sound a bit crackly. Great for the price though.

Yoritomo

I think it still will not be good enough. GK110 is a beast for compute tasks but won't represent a massive improvement for graphics tasks over the GK104. I also have to say that triple screen is extremely resource intensive with poorly optimized drivers and if you want acceptable performance you will have to go multi GPU. Running BF3 at medium/high settings with 2 680s I still only get around 60fps with dips to 30.

Yeah, I'm currently running 2 580s. I wouldn't mind a single card that gave equivalent graphical capabilities and allowed triple screen.

I really just want a fast profile switcher with saved settings, so I could hit one button and switch to single monitor single gpu with just a push of a button and a few flashes on the screen, then switch back to triple screen after playing a game.

tarheel91

Just finished building my new PC thanks in part to NeoGAF. I've got a 7950, currently on the 12.10 driver. I want to upgrade to the 12.11 Beta, but what I'm wondering is if I should go with the regular driver or the one with .NET 4 support. Any ideas?

Just finished building my new PC thanks in part to NeoGAF. I've got a 7950, currently on the 12.10 driver. I want to upgrade to the 12.11 Beta, but what I'm wondering is if I should go with the regular driver or the one with .NET 4 support. Any ideas?
I just went with the regular driver.

Gueras

Banned
Bought my new PC...

but...

Asus M PRO z77 2 slots of memory is not working :(

i will need to wait replacement...

i'm so frustrated :(

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Anyone have recommendations for small, quiet CPU coolers? I got a hold of some older PC parts and ended up putting together a small computer using this case: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article905-page5.html

But I've noticed that the CPU cooler that I got runs quite loud, so I'm looking for a slim CPU cooler that doesn't make the whole PC sound like it's about to take off.

Inside my case is a Core i3-550 (75 TDP) with no video card, if it helps. The height of the CPU cooler probably can't exceed 4 cm or so, which really limits my options.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have recommendations for small, quiet CPU coolers? I got a hold of some older PC parts and ended up putting together a small computer using this case: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article905-page5.html

But I've noticed that the CPU cooler that I got runs quite loud, so I'm looking for a slim CPU cooler that doesn't make the whole PC sound like it's about to take off.

Inside my case is a Core i3-550 (75 TDP) with no video card, if it helps. The height of the CPU cooler probably can't exceed 4 cm or so, which really limits my options.
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 ought to fit.

In your guys opinion, G850 with better gpu or i3 3220 with not as good gpu? Working on a cheap build for my brother (~$500) and I'm thinking it'd be better to go with the i3, but I'm not sure. He plans to play games on it, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom