• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

GAF, I have an issue at the moment which is really starting to annoy me as I can't seem to sort out.

I have a gtx 670 ftw and since I had a driver issue and reinstalled windows 8 (tested with 7 too!) the screen at 1080p in "16:9" mode on my LG TV is too big, almost like my desktop is cropped. This is using the most recent official nvidia drivers (had issues with the beta ones). It never used to happen before I had issues.

I can change my tv to "just scan" which rectifies it but the text on the desktop doesn't look sharp and I can tell it doesn't look right.

My next steps when I get a chance are to load my original driver CD and roll back to those and to try a different pci slot.

Any ideas what's causing this guys? Is my GPU broken?

Also... Is there any performance disadvantage between putting my GPU in a pci 2.0 slot rather than a 3?

Thanks

No its not broken. Your TV should be on just scan mode. Alternatively you can use nvidias drivers to rescale the display image to compensate for your TVs over scan but you will lose some resolution doing that.

NoRéN

Alright. I have everything hooked up but when I power on the pc there's no video output.

All fans power on.
Video card fan turns on.
Cpu coolerfan turns on.
Optical drive powers on.
Light on mobo is on. No sound or beeps from mobo speaker.
Monitor is fine. Tested with another pc.
Tried to boot with no RAM. Still nothing.

Anything else I can try? Any ideas on what the problem speaker?

DTKT

NoRéN;45249080 said:
Alright. I have everything hooked up but when I power on the pc there's no video output.

All fans power on.
Light on mobo is on. No sound or beeps from mobo speaker.
Monitor is fine. Tested with another pc.
Tried to boot with no RAM. Still nothing.

Anything else I can try? Any ideas on what the problem speaker?

What about the video card? Does the fan starts?

ElfArmy177

Hey guys, need some advice.

I have a gaming computer downstairs (I5 3750, 670 GTX, 8gb ram) and want to put a secondary gaming computer in the office Im putting upstairs. (I have kids so if I want to play something violent I dont want to lug the whole computer upstairs, but I also like to be around the family if Im not playing something so violent.)

My question would be - Is it better to wait until early next year to rebuild with next gen intel, plus 700 series nvidia.. or are rumors lately stating there wont be much of an increase and I should just rebuild with the same setup? Thanks!

Hey guys, do you think you could give me your opinion on this build I'm working on for my brother for about $500? Couple things I want to know:

1.) is this motherboard fine? I looked for the ASRock in the OP but it seems that board is gone from most stores I checked, so I just substituted this one instead.

2.) Is this power supply enough for a 7850? If not, I could bump it up.

3.)Is this case okay for a 7850? It's obviously a budget case and I want to make sure it will support the card all right.

Any other comments would be greatly appreciated as well!

Here's the build I have so far:

itKYyZgWLBwj.png

kharma45

What is the brand of choice for AMD GPUs? Specifically looking at a 7850/70

Gigabyte, MSI or if neither of those are available Sapphire.

Gigabyte has their Windforce cooler and MSI offer them with both the TF3 and TF4.

Sapphire has three coolers available too including the Vapor-X.

Mandoric

Banned
Reporting back with success--I'm long-term stable at 4.2 with stock cooler and no overvolt, and my x264 framerate with my usual filter chain has gone from 1.75fps on my old X3 720 to 8.5fps with the 3770K.

Next on the list is definitely a CPU cooler, to try and even out that 30-degree temperature gap under full sustained load.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

I'd get aftermarket coolers and not the reference design. I have 2 reference design boards and they literally could fry an egg during normal gameplay. Very quickly get to 90C.

AkIRA_22

I've got two HIS and have used Sapphire and Gigabyte, they all work the same in the end. I don't really believe any are different, it's a luck of the draw thing with electronics.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
NoRéN;45254206 said:
Fuck yeah! Figured out the problem. It was the video card.

Removed it and am currently installing windows.

Fucking sweet dude. *bro fist*

My pc wouldn't show any video/picture when I first booted up as well. Turns out, I didn't click in the video card as well as I should have. Sometimes, it is the smallest of things lol. Enjoy your new PC!!

The decision has been made: getting a gaming PC instead of a new TV. My gf is in pharmacy school and starting next summer she's doing her rotations, so we're going to be moving every 2-3 months or so, and packing around a huge TV would be very inconvenient. And with games like Bioshock Infinite and Lords of Shadow 2 (and possibly the first) on the way and my already large (to me) library of Steam games that I stupidly bought without having a gaming PC... it's really a no-brainer.

I don't know if I'm going to custom build one myself or order some kind of pre-made one (like the console-looking ones) but either way shit's going down soon, time to join the master race at last.

NoRéN

My pc wouldn't show any video/picture when I first booted up as well. Turns out, I didn't click in the video card as well as I should have. Sometimes, it is the smallest of things lol. Enjoy your new PC!!

I'm going to go ahead and try the video card again. I have a feeling it's the same thing you experienced.

It was such a great feeling to see that thing boot!

The decision has been made: getting a gaming PC instead of a new TV. My gf is in pharmacy school and starting next summer she's doing her rotations, so we're going to be moving every 2-3 months or so, and packing around a huge TV would be very inconvenient. And with games like Bioshock Infinite and Lords of Shadow 2 (and possibly the first) on the way and my already large (to me) library of Steam games that I stupidly bought without having a gaming PC... it's really a no-brainer.

I don't know if I'm going to custom build one myself or order some kind of pre-made one (like the console-looking ones) but either way shit's going down soon, time to join the master race at last.

You need a kick ass SFF PC.

Grab the handles and your set; http://www.anandtech.com/show/6104/origin-chronos-review-the-ultimate-lan-box

or build your own; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKIsrwS3fX4

I just got my new video card, a His ICEQ 7870, install went fine, loaded windows, installed the drivers online ( amd catalyst ) yet when i try a game on steam or uplay, it just crashes instantly.

Did i miss a step? is there any programs to see if its plugged in properly? When you go to display driver properties, it only says AMD Radeon HD 7800 series, should it be more specific?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just got a thermaltake TR2 500w power supply installed a week earlier, its worked all week no problems with the old video card.

Tried a few different games, got binding of issac to work but thats no special feat, when i try Just Cause 2 I get a Direct X error, How do you go about repairing or uninstalling Direct X? When i download direct X it just says that a working up to date direct x is working and no need to reinstall.

edit : Also get a microsoft visual C++ error, just tried updating that and no luck.

NoRéN

So...guess what i decided to do? yes, I decided to remove and reinstall the video card.

Guess what happened? :)

Zinthar

NoRéN;45244999 said:
Can a CPU be non working from the get go? I've narrowed down my problem to that or the motherboard. Still not sure.

It can happen, but it's quite rare. I've built or helped build dozens of PC's and the CPU is pretty much the only part that I've never seen go bad.

Apologies if this was addressed earlier in the thread, but does your motherboard have any type of error-code display (usually a two-digit code or a system of lights)? If so, what do the error codes translate to?

Have you double-checked all of the power connections from your PSU? Sometimes it can feel like they're in, but they're not quite. Most problems I've encountered were the result of the RAM, motherboard, or an incompatibility between the two (sometimes fixable by a simple update flash of the mb bios). Also be sure to try just one stick of RAM in all 4 slots -- and try a second stick of RAM in slot #1 (by itself, but a different stick). Some motherboards have issues booting at defaults with certain sticks/brands of RAM. It's the single biggest PitA of PC building. As a result, I only recommend buying the Samsung 30nm RAM sticks to friends, as I've never had a compatibility issue with them.

For future reference, I would recommend always buying a motherboard that has this feature. I had a video card that shorted out once and took out the PCI-E slot on the motherboard, the card itself, and DVI cable attached to it simultaneously and probably only solved it via the error codes.

Edit: nm, I see the problem was solved. Will leave this up though because I think the advice about motherboard w/ error code feature and the Samsung 30nm RAM is worthwhile.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I suspect that a bent pin on the motherboard, or thermal paste getting to the pins is more common than the CPU itself being bad.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
NoRéN;45262724 said:
It's glorious!

Currently posting from my new, first ever build!

Thank you to everyone!

Congrats dude! Now you feel like you can do anything lol.

Dartastic

I'm so out of the loop on PC related things, it's not even funny. That being said...

In regards to CPU's and video cards, I know that the latest update to the OP was in October. When are the next big jumps in these two areas expected to come out? I want to build a gaming PC in the near future, but I wanna know how long to wait on certain things (namely, those two areas) because if I can wait a little longer to get a decent upgrade on those things... yeah. Are there any big jumps expected before Bioshock Infinite comes out in late March?

timnich

I only built my PC this year, but already I am looking to upgrade...

I am kicking myself for not spending more when I was building, but I was just getting into PC gaming and didn't know better. I would like to upgrade 1 or more component of my PC for better gaming performance If anyone can give me some tips I would greatly appreciate it.

My current build:
CPU: i3-2120
Video Card: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Ram: 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHZ
PSU: 550W(cant remember model, sorry)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68

I am looking to spend as close to $300 as possible, but am willing to consider more for a good reason (major power increase, for example). What I am mainly looking for is to be able run more games at max settings or as close to as possible, around 60fps. Games I am currently playing: Mass Effect 2, Arkham City, Witcher 2. I would also like Dolphin to run more games at 1080p, but this is not so important to me.

I realize I might be asking for too much here; if so, please tell me. Clearly I am inexperienced to building PC's, so any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I only built my PC this year, but already I am looking to upgrade...

I am kicking myself for not spending more when I was building, but I was just getting into PC gaming and didn't know better. I would like to upgrade 1 or more component of my PC for better gaming performance If anyone can give me some tips I would greatly appreciate it.

My current build:
CPU: i3-2120
Video Card: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
Ram: 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHZ
PSU: 550W(cant remember model, sorry)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68

I am looking to spend as close to $300 as possible, but am willing to consider more for a good reason (major power increase, for example). What I am mainly looking for is to be able run more games at max settings or as close to as possible, around 60fps. Games I am currently playing: Mass Effect 2, Arkham City, Witcher 2. I would also like Dolphin to run more games at 1080p, but this is not so important to me.

I realize I might be asking for too much here; if so, please tell me. Clearly I am inexperienced to building PC's, so any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I'd say the most you can get out of your current setup is upgrade your ram to 8GB and then upgrade the video card to a 7850 2GB or 7870. That should be good.

I just got my new video card, a His ICEQ 7870, install went fine, loaded windows, installed the drivers online ( amd catalyst ) yet when i try a game on steam or uplay, it just crashes instantly.

Did i miss a step? is there any programs to see if its plugged in properly? When you go to display driver properties, it only says AMD Radeon HD 7800 series, should it be more specific?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just got a thermaltake TR2 500w power supply installed a week earlier, its worked all week no problems with the old video card.

Tried a few different games, got binding of issac to work but thats no special feat, when i try Just Cause 2 I get a Direct X error, How do you go about repairing or uninstalling Direct X? When i download direct X it just says that a working up to date direct x is working and no need to reinstall.

edit : Also get a microsoft visual C++ error, just tried updating that and no luck.

Quote for new page

I'm having a problem with direct X or Microsoft visual c++, the new video says its all working, but when i try to run a better game like l4d2 or just cause 2, killing floor or far cry 3 it just black screen back to desktop with a direct x 3d error or microsoft C++ error.

Panzon

Haswell cant come soon enough. A dear friend of mine somehow talked me into holding out for haswell and the new samsung ssd thats supposed to come out sometime in 2013. Im getting more anxious by the day and really want to build this rig. Mkenyon was kind enough to recommend me a nice rig for the money I have ($3000) but Im so confused. Unfortunately I'm kind of on the cutting edge type guy and really want the best of the best. The more I read this thread, the more inspired I get and it's really starting to affect me

sigh....

sorry for the rant

Haswell cant come soon enough. A dear friend of mine somehow talked me into holding out for haswell and the new samsung ssd thats supposed to come out sometime in 2013. Im getting more anxious by the day and really want to build this rig. Mkenyon was kind enough to recommend me a nice rig for the money I have ($3000) but Im so confused. Unfortunately I'm kind of on the cutting edge type guy and really want the best of the best. The more I read this thread, the more inspired I get and it's really starting to affect me

sigh....

sorry for the rant
Just build what you want now. There really isn't any point in waiting as there's always something new coming around the corner. If you keep waiting and waiting you'll never get around to doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom