• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithorien

Reds for life. Lots of people like browns for gaming too.

I went browns for my first and really like the response; with the tactile feedback I know exactly when it activates so I don't have to bottom out.

However I haven't tried reds or any other switch for comparison.

Trey

What resource (books, sites) would any one recommend for a person who wants a more in depth knowledge of computers?

mkenyon

Banned
What resource (books, sites) would any one recommend for a person who wants a more in depth knowledge of computers?
It depends on the thing you are curious about in specific. Because of the complexity, sources are generally specialized.

TechReport.com is a great place to start though.

Petrie

Banned
This might be a silly question but here goes:

I have an old CPU I haven't used in quite some time, and put it into a build with the rest all new parts. I'm getting nothing when I turn it on. Is this normal if it is a bad CPU, or should something show up on-screen regardless?

Just want to be sure before I order a new CPU.

Cherry MX (red/blue/brown/black)?

My purpose is strictly gaming. I've read red might be the best for gaming but I've heard people say they really like blue or brown.

Reds!
If you like arcade sticks with sanwa parts, the reds are like that (lightest activation) but a whole keyboard full of em. They feel and sound great!

Hey guys, do you think you could give me your opinion on this build I'm working on for my brother for about $500? Couple things I want to know:

1.) is this motherboard fine? I looked for the ASRock in the OP but it seems that board is gone from most stores I checked, so I just substituted this one instead.

2.) Is this power supply enough for a 7850? If not, I could bump it up.

3.)Is this case okay for a 7850? It's obviously a budget case and I want to make sure it will support the card all right.

Any other comments would be greatly appreciated as well!

Here's the build I have so far:

itKYyZgWLBwj.png

Quoting myself since I got buried lol. Anyone help me out? Looking to order soon.

scogoth

Check out Upgrading and Repairing PCs by Scott Mueller. It has quite extensive explanations of all major PC components in addition to their history and use. It has a lot about old components as well as new which gives a good context for getting into the latest stuff on anandtech, techreport, neogaf etc.

Exuro

Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Crucial m4 64GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2.

It's kinda between these two now for an OS drive (Windows 7 64-bit) w/ a couple of programs. Pro and cons? The Samsungs are all out of stock and I dunno about SSDs... I'm still hamming and hawing about this LOL.
I'll just say I got 1 samsung 830 128GB for $70 and 2 Kingston HyperX 128GB's for $80.

TommyT

Been about a year since I built my PC with the help (for purchasing parts) from PC-GAF. Everything has been smooth sailing. Upgraded to 16gb of RAM with the specials over the holidays. That's really been my only major change since I've built the system. I've had some OS issues and possible hiccups with my old SSD, but a complete wipe and partition seems to have fixed that.

Only thing I can see would be liquid cooling (don't really think I want to mess with that soon though), some type of multiple drive storage setup, and bigger/better GFX cards. The 560Ti is doing quite well overclocked though I must say. I do need to try a mechanical keyboard sometime as well.

I'm sure I'll be poking around when it comes time to build my HTPC. Keep doing what you're doing PC-GAF!

Ty4on

Reds for life. Lots of people like browns for gaming too.

Don't know it it's the name, but brown keyboards seem way too rare.
The only mechanical keyboard I've found with brown switches nonbacklit with a nonbacklit price can be shipped next year :(
Here you can see animations of all the different switches. If there is a silent model like the Das Keyboard the regular one is usually blue while the silent one is brown.

Quoting myself since I got buried lol. Anyone help me out? Looking to order soon.
Your CPU is 65W and your GPU is 130W. It also comes with a six pin power which is all the 7850 needs (7870 needs to though). The PSU has two 12V rails able to output 216W each (this review managed over 260W at 45C), 65+130 is just 195 so even one rail could in theory power your computer. You should be just fine.

Petrie

Banned

I have an old CPU I haven't used in quite some time, and put it into a build with the rest all new parts. I'm getting nothing when I turn it on. Is this normal if it is a bad CPU, or should something show up on-screen regardless?

Is it all compatible? Need specifics.

Internet told me it was:

ECS G41T-M7

MSI N210-MD512D3H/TC GeForce 210

Corsair XMS3

Along with my old E5200

The old rig stopped working and I had thought it was the mobo, but perhaps I was wrong and it was the CPU?

Reposting all together from above, hopefully someone has a clue.

mkenyon

Banned

Internet told me it was:

ECS G41T-M7

MSI N210-MD512D3H/TC GeForce 210

Corsair XMS3

Along with my old E5200

The old rig stopped working and I had thought it was the mobo, but perhaps I was wrong and it was the CPU?

Reposting all together from above, hopefully someone has a clue.
The only way to know for sure on our end is by lots of troubleshooting.

the PSU is alright for the 7850

the case should be alright since it claims to support full size graphics cards and the 7850 is not as long imo.

i would say to get the 2GB version of the 7850 instead so you will have some VRAM room (games like Crysis 2 and Skyrim can go over 1GB already).

I'll just say I got 1 samsung 830 128GB for $70 and 2 Kingston HyperX 128GB's for $80.
If I can find a Samsung 830 64 GB for 60-ish I'll break down and get the SSD. It's just that I know very little about SSDs, and I'm trying to cram every piece of knowledge about it in a short amount of time. Like I said, the biggest issue with me is longevity; I want it to last a minimum of 5 years, which is the lowest amount of time I've had a HDD last (and I had dropped that sucker too).

Dear PC build thread:

I'm looking into getting a 256GB SSD to put my games on. Right now I'm thinking the Samsung 840. Since my motherboard only has SATA II, I figured the faster stuff like the 840 Pro would be wasted. Any better out there for what I'm looking for? Thanks folks.

Zhengi

So I'm looking to build a HT/Gaming PC. I've already gotten most of the parts and I wanted suggestions on the sound card. I am looking at either the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 or the Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater. Any recommendations on either one of them?

2San

Dear PC build thread:

I'm looking into getting a 256GB SSD to put my games on. Right now I'm thinking the Samsung 840. Since my motherboard only has SATA II, I figured the faster stuff like the 840 Pro would be wasted. Any better out there for what I'm looking for? Thanks folks.
840 pro> 830 > 840 seems to be the general consensus in this thread.

Out of personal experience I know the 830 works fine with SATA II boards.

I recommend the 830 myself, should be cheaper as well.

fatty

Argh, noob question. I'm in the middle of my build right now and this is the first case that I've had with the PSU placement on the bottom:

Fractal Design Arc Mini

But my PSU has the fan placement on the top:

XFX PSU with fan on top

Do I aim the fan toward the bottom of the case?? I'm guessing to push the hot air out of the case and that is the reason for the filter? Or do I aim the fan up to help cool the CPU and GPU, but then what is the purpose of the filter on the bottom??

And if it is supposed to aim toward the bottom, there just doesn't seem to be much air flow allowed, just the space provided by the case legs.

Thanks!

2San

Argh, noob question. I'm in the middle of my build right now and this is the first case that I've had with the PSU placement on the bottom:

Thanks!
Kinda confused what you actually mean, but you want something like this:

edit: V Or maybe not, I don't have experience with cases with vent down below.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Fractal Design Arc Mini

XFX PSU with fan on top

Do I aim the fan toward the bottom of the case?? I'm guessing to push the hot air out of the case and that is the reason for the filter? Or do I aim the fan up to help cool the CPU and GPU, but then what is the purpose of the filter on the bottom??

And if it is supposed to aim toward the bottom, there just doesn't seem to be much air flow allowed, just the space provided by the case legs.

Thanks!

All the guides that I have read, said to aim the fan towards the bottom, assuming you have a vent cover on the bottom. Otherwise, I would aim it up.

Fongul

I'm looking for some buying advise regarding a monitor purchase. I finally bit the bullet and purchased an Alienware X51, but am curious regarding replacing my old monitor (Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW). Would 120hz be vital for an upgrade from this monitor or would any modern display be sufficient?

I was debating between the BenQ XL2420TX or the Samsung S23A700D if I was going for 120hz or just getting an ASUS VS278Q-P for the extra size (27" versus 24"). Any recommendations?

rossonero

I was waiting for some deals on the 660ti's but found instead a great deal on a Sapphire 7950 and got it cheaper than what the 660ti's cost here in Sweden, hopefully I made the right choice.

Anyway, now I'm using a 5870 that I borrowed from a friend so when the new card arrives do I have to uninstall drivers or remove the 5870 in the device manager before putting in the new card?

840 pro> 830 > 840 seems to be the general consensus in this thread.

Out of personal experience I know the 830 works fine with SATA II boards.

I recommend the 830 myself, should be cheaper as well.

Cool, thanks. I saw that one listed as out of stock on Newegg and Amazon, so I wasn't sure of it's availability.

2San

Cool, thanks. I saw that one listed as out of stock on Newegg and Amazon, so I wasn't sure of it's availability.
Yeah it's getting replaced by the 840. There should still be some out there in the wild. I got a 2nd 830 recently, since it's getting phased out.

Fractal Design Arc Mini

XFX PSU with fan on top

Thanks!
You want to place the PSU with the fan towards the bottom of the case. The PSU should be fine because of the legs of the case giving it enough room to breathe. It also depends on where you're putting the PC as if you have carpet you'd want to face it pointing up.

Your CPU is 65W and your GPU is 130W. It also comes with a six pin power which is all the 7850 needs (7870 needs to though). The PSU has two 12V rails able to output 216W each (this review managed over 260W at 45C), 65+130 is just 195 so even one rail could in theory power your computer. You should be just fine.

the PSU is alright for the 7850

the case should be alright since it claims to support full size graphics cards and the 7850 is not as long imo.

i would say to get the 2GB version of the 7850 instead so you will have some VRAM room (games like Crysis 2 and Skyrim can go over 1GB already).

Thanks guys. Motherboard is okay as well?

Setsuna

I think ive got it

CPU: Intel core i5 3570

GPU: Msi geforce gtx 660ti 2gb

Memory: Corsair vengeace 8 GB 2x4GB ddr3 1600 memory (not to sure about this one dont know if i should lower it to xms)

Case: NZXT phantom 410 Black

Motherboard: Gigabyte Ga z77x ud5h

Power Supply: kingwin lazer platinum 550w 80 plus platinum(modular)

What i'm concerned about is Memory and motherboard. Which i believe is to much

Sarcasm

My hard drive is taking a poop. I figured I could get an SSD and another reg HD..but question is..I am in Taiwan near Taipei (bus ride/car) and the prices aren't so much cheaper/can't really haggle.

Where can I find a good deal here or even online?

Gowans

Guys a 16 year old kid of one of my work friends is after a PC to get into PC gaming.

He has £500 for the PC and <£200 for the monitor.

Our local indy computer shop has come ready built ones and she's keen on going there

http://www.falconcomputers.co.uk/

Whats the best bundle? or is there some online solutions? Also a good monitor recommendation?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this- I wanted some advice over whether I can upgrade my graphics card, and if so whether it's actually worthwhile doing so.

My current specs are-

E6750 Core 2 Duo
NVidia 8800GT
Asus P5K SE Intel P35 Chipset LGA775 motherboard
Hiper 580W PSU

I'd like to upgrade to an HD7850. First of all, is my PSU OK for that? I think it has 2 PCI-E 6 pin connectors so it should be OK in that respect, but am I missing anything obvious?

My motherboard has a 16x PCI-E slot, but it's only PCI-E 2.0- are 3.0 cards OK with it?

Finally, even if all the above is OK, would my old-ass processor be such a bottleneck that it wouldn't be worthwhile?

Thanks in advance for any help.

OK, I've done the upgrade and have a few questions about some problems. I'm not sure this is the appropriate thread to ask, so was wondering if some kind soul could point me to a general PC troubleshooting thread if there is one?

This is pretty much it. Go ahead and ask

OK, thanks. The main problem is that I'm not sure I'm seeing the expected boost. I know my processor isn't really up to scratch, but I'm getting very similar frame rates in various games to what I was getting before- e.g. 25-30 fps at 1920x1080 in Skyrim at low settings, 35-40 in Deus Ex at medium, < 25 fps in Witcher 2 at low during the initial camp scenes.

I can't access the Catalyst Control Center to check settings- it just won't run, and I can't benchmark with 3D Mark- again it just doesn't start. DxDiag doesn't report any problems with the install itself, and the card appears to be running and powering up with no problem.

I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions, or is my processor really holding everything back so much that going from an 8800GT to a HD 7850 has a pretty negligible effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom