• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden

putting this together for my cousin in law for xmas
mM5Bn.png

any areas of improvement? budget is around that price

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
putting this together for my cousin in law for xmas

any areas of improvement? budget is around that price
1TB Blue is $5 more.

Can't check right now, but anything with SE stands for shit/slow edition and is probably bad.
Look at 6870 / 7850 (Get this if possible, way worth it)

n64coder

Hey gents, I'm looking for a recommendation of the best SSD bang for my buck. As of now I'm leaning towards 128 gig, but I'm not positive yet. The Tom's Hardware article I was reading on the subject recommended OCZ drives for this level and pricepoint (~$100), but I feel like I have heard enough negative things about OCZ's lack of reliability that I want to stay away from them if possible.

I have an OCZ drive for about 4 months without any issues. I also have a Mushkin drive that's about a year old.

I just install the OS and programs on them but I don't keep any real data. So if the drive goes south, it's no biggie to get a new one under warranty.

I suggest keeping your eyes open on slickdeals.net and wait for the best deal to show up. I got another 128GB for around $70 from Amazon a few weeks ago.

Hey gents, I'm looking for a recommendation of the best SSD bang for my buck. As of now I'm leaning towards 128 gig, but I'm not positive yet. The Tom's Hardware article I was reading on the subject recommended OCZ drives for this level and pricepoint (~$100), but I feel like I have heard enough negative things about OCZ's lack of reliability that I want to stay away from them if possible.

Samsung 830/840. Or Crucial m4. You may have to go just north of the $100 border, but worth it for the reliability and performance.

mkenyon

Banned
Stupid question time!

A) Is there a microatx tower that is under 13" tall that will also fit a good video card?
B) Is there any problem with running a PC on its side?
C) Why don't I see wireless ethernet cards on PC builds? Is all of this shit included on motherboards now? The world has gone crazy.
A) Yes, Lian Li V354.
B) No.
C) Because WiFi is really bad compared to a cable.
I have done a fair bit of reading this morning but extra clarification would be greatly welcomed on the following subject.

I think I need to replace my HDD due to some odd periodic ticking sounds. I have a 600W PSU so I don't think there is a power issue. BF3 ran last night using a I5 3570K & GTX670 (neither overclocked) without issues so does that say there isn't a power problem?

I want to clone the entire contents of the existing HDD onto a new HDD and I have read that Easeus disk copy is good for this.

If I run the software to clone the disk contents (including Win 7) onto the new drive and:

Shut down
Swap the drives around so the new cloned disk is the primary disk
Remove the old drive completely
Restart the system

Should this cloned disk (and now primary HDD) boot without an issue?

Will Win 7 need to be activated again or should I be okay?

Thanks!
Save yourself some trouble and reformat. Back up the data you still need. It will take you an hour or two.
Crucial M4 is on sale today for $89 on Newegg.

OCZ's newest drive, the Vector, is promising in regards to reliability. It's already heads and tails above everything else as far as performance goes. OCZ's previous reliability issues were all around Sandforce controllers 3-4 months before everyone else. They essentially outsourced beta testing to their customers in order to get the huge next gen speed bump before everyone else. The new one (Vector) is based on their own (purchased) Indilinx controller.
Samsung 830/840. Or Crucial m4. You may have to go just north of the $100 border, but worth it for the reliability and performance.
840 has an objectively worse lifespan compared to lots of other SSDs because of the type of memory used. Basically, the number of writes per each block of memory is increased in order to increase capacity without having to increase the number of memory chips. The result of this is that you trade lifespan for space.

Darkone

The PSU is 600W Therlmaltec tough power, i have for 5 years, maybe more.
And yes, its connected with molex adapters, the shutdowns started recently, i played before and i had no crashes.

Fellow gaffers, continuing my shutdown problem & i cannot play for the past 2 days, anyone see in this testing anything that might help?

9niMN.png

mkenyon

Banned
Fellow gaffers, continuing my shutdown problem & i cannot play for the past 2 days, anyone see in this testing anything that might help?

http://i.imgur.com/9niMNs.jpg
You'll only be able to localize the issue by troubleshooting with parts.

PSU, one stick of memory, the other stick of memory, etc etc etc.
What is that? An image for ants?!
Protip: You can change the last letter in an imgur link to change the size. Removing it = normal, h = huge, l = large, s = small.

Darkone

You'll only be able to localize the issue by troubleshooting with parts.

PSU, one stick of memory, the other stick of memory, etc etc etc.

Sadly i don`t have spare parts to test which part is the problem, i think its the PSU but i don`t want to rush and buy one.

mkenyon

Banned
Sadly i don`t have spare parts to test which part is the problem, i think its the PSU but i don`t want to rush and buy one.
Buy a cheap one online like the Antec VP450 to test, and then return it. You're out shipping, but if that's the only way to test.....

Any chance you are in the Pacific NW?

I tried following the guide in the OP, but I have already locked in most of everything just looking to see if I am missing something:

Giving my old computer with steam games to my brother for Xmas.

Old specs:

Upgraded ASUS CG5290-BP007
2.66 Hz Intel Core i7 920
Rampage II GENE microATX (Maybe not sure?)
9GB DDR3 Ram
MSI N560GTX-Ti448 TwinFrozrIII PE/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card - 1280MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI, 1x Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready (M452-0569 )
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
Hard Drives are being transported to new PC
Same with Blu Ray Drive

I am going to place the original Hard drive and DVD drive back in the desktop before gifting it.

Currently Owned being transported over and re-used:

OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-240G Agility 3 Series 2.5" Solid State Drive - 240GB, SATA III, 6Gbps (O261-8202 )

Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST3000DM001

LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback & M-DISC Support Model UH12LS29 LightScribe Support - OEM​

Purchasing:

Corsair Vengeance Black CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 1.5V Dual Channel Memory Kit
$66.99

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Case ATX 4X5.25 6X3.5INT USB 1394 No PS
$79.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
$109.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 02G-P4-2678-KR Video Card - 2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0, 1x DVI-I, 1x DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Overclocked (E145-0671)
$399.99

ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 2400MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, CrossFireX Ready (A455-2042)
$114.99

Intel Core i5-3570K BX806237i53570K Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 95W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail (I69-3570K)
$204.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
$29.98

Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Compound
$6.65

-$50 in rebates

Comes with Free AC3 and Borderlands 2 (Gift to brother so we can co-op play)

Main use: Gaming, Video Editing, Freelance work for support

Monitors:

Shimian QH270-Lite 27" LED Quad HD DVI 2560x1440 16:9 6ms
(Main gaming and work monitor)

ASUS VW266H 25.5-Inch​

Games are most of the popular ones. I am looking to start Skyrim soon and would like to run some nice looking mods. Require 30fps and higher. Hoping to run DmC at 60 fps and similar action games.

Overclocking: Not sure yet as that is stepping beyond my knowledge at this point.

Looking to build before xmas.

Darkone

Buy a cheap one online like the Antec VP450 to test, and then return it. You're out shipping, but if that's the only way to test.....

Any chance you are in the Pacific NW?

Not even close :p, i am from Israel.

btw, is 72C temperature for CPU may be the cause?

BigAT

I have an OCZ drive for about 4 months without any issues. I also have a Mushkin drive that's about a year old.

I just install the OS and programs on them but I don't keep any real data. So if the drive goes south, it's no biggie to get a new one under warranty.

I suggest keeping your eyes open on slickdeals.net and wait for the best deal to show up. I got another 128GB for around $70 from Amazon a few weeks ago.

Crucial M4 is on sale today for $89 on Newegg.

OCZ's newest drive, the Vector, is promising in regards to reliability. It's already heads and tails above everything else as far as performance goes. OCZ's previous reliability issues were all around Sandforce controllers 3-4 months before everyone else. They essentially outsourced beta testing to their customers in order to get the huge next gen speed bump before everyone else. The new one (Vector) is based on their own (purchased) Indilinx controller.

Thanks for the advice. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two drives? Taking a glance at the specs I don't see anything besides the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147188

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147185

brogan

Neo Member
So finally got my system up and running, went through the Windows set up, all fine. Installed a few things, Google Chrome, steam, latest the force drivers.

Now the system keeps crashing and I'm shown the Blue error screen before the system restarts! Chrome crashes alot, and I can't even run theheaven benchmark thing (forgot the name in new to Pc gaming), it freezes on loading and I can't play either of the two demos I downloaded from steam. (arkham city - nothing happens when I click play and just cause - freezes when loading). What is happening??

This is the worst experience I've ever had with anything new!

Edit. I don't have any games to try them yet but I'm guessing they'll do the same.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the advice. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two drives? Taking a glance at the specs I don't see anything besides the price.

Probably an included SSD mounting kit or something like that.
So finally got my system up and running, went through the Windows set up, all fine. Installed a few things, Google Chrome, steam, latest the force drivers.

Now the system keeps crashing and I'm shown the Blue error screen before the system restarts! Chrome crashes alot, and I can't even run theheaven benchmark thing (forgot the name in new to Pc gaming), it freezes on loading and I can't play either of the two demos I downloaded from steam. (arkham city - nothing happens when I click play and just cause - freezes when loading). What is happening??

This is the worst experience I've ever had with anything new!

Edit. I don't have any games to try them yet but I'm guessing they'll do the same.
Sounds memory related. Try removing a stick, then the other, etc. You certain your memory is compatible with your motherboard?
I tried following the guide in the OP, but I have already locked in most of everything just looking to see if I am missing something:

Giving my old computer with steam games to my brother for Xmas.

Old specs:

Upgraded ASUS CG5290-BP007
2.66 Hz Intel Core i7 920
Rampage II GENE microATX (Maybe not sure?)
9GB DDR3 Ram
MSI N560GTX-Ti448 TwinFrozrIII PE/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card - 1280MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI, 1x Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready (M452-0569 )
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
Hard Drives are being transported to new PC
Same with Blu Ray Drive

I am going to place the original Hard drive and DVD drive back in the desktop before gifting it.

Currently Owned being transported over and re-used:

OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-240G Agility 3 Series 2.5" Solid State Drive - 240GB, SATA III, 6Gbps (O261-8202 )

Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST3000DM001

LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback & M-DISC Support Model UH12LS29 LightScribe Support - OEM​

Purchasing:

Corsair Vengeance Black CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 1.5V Dual Channel Memory Kit
$66.99

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Case ATX 4X5.25 6X3.5INT USB 1394 No PS
$79.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
$109.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 02G-P4-2678-KR Video Card - 2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0, 1x DVI-I, 1x DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Overclocked (E145-0671)
$399.99

ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 2400MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, CrossFireX Ready (A455-2042)
$114.99

Intel Core i5-3570K BX806237i53570K Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 95W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail (I69-3570K)
$204.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
$29.98

Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Compound
$6.65

-$50 in rebates

Comes with Free AC3 and Borderlands 2 (Gift to brother so we can co-op play)

Main use: Gaming, Video Editing, Freelance work for support

Monitors:

Shimian QH270-Lite 27" LED Quad HD DVI 2560x1440 16:9 6ms
(Main gaming and work monitor)

ASUS VW266H 25.5-Inch​

Games are most of the popular ones. I am looking to start Skyrim soon and would like to run some nice looking mods. Require 30fps and higher. Hoping to run DmC at 60 fps and similar action games.

Overclocking: Not sure yet as that is stepping beyond my knowledge at this point.

Looking to build before xmas.
I know you said you had a lot of this locked in, but there are a number of places to trim the budget to fit in a 3770K. Rather than go back and forth, here they are in case you are interested.

1) Swap PSU for this. You could even go for an Antec BP550. I'm a very vocal hater of most things Antec, but even I can't argue with the quality of it.

2) Swap video card for this. It will be so much more quiet.

3) Drop the MX-4, the TIM that comes with the 212 is every bit as good.

4) You can probably snipe a really nice case for a lot less than that. Seems like everyone is trying to liquidate right now.

*EDIT*

Also, do you use Adobe or Sony for video editing? Vegas loves AMD GPU's when it comes to encoding.

*EDIT 2*

Your high res monitor will thank you for the memory bandwidth and 3GB of VRAM on a 7950 over that 670 as well.

So OCZ is coming back in the game after their stumble? interesting

I know you said you had a lot of this locked in, but there are a number of places to trim the budget to fit in a 3770K. Rather than go back and forth, here they are in case you are interested.

1) Swap PSU for this. You could even go for an Antec BP550. I'm a very vocal hater of most things Antec, but even I can't argue with the quality of it.

2) Swap video card for this. It will be so much more quiet.

3) Drop the MX-4, the TIM that comes with the 212 is every bit as good.

4) You can probably snipe a really nice case for a lot less than that. Seems like everyone is trying to liquidate right now.

*EDIT*

Also, do you use Adobe or Sony for video editing? Vegas loves AMD GPU's when it comes to encoding.

*EDIT 2*

Your high res monitor will thank you for the memory bandwidth and 3GB of VRAM on a 7950 over that 670 as well.

Thank you for your reply.

1) Will this PSU cause any problems if I add more hard drives? Future proofing as well if I ever decide to do a small video card upgrade (SLI)

2) How do you tell the noise level of the video card. I am swaying towards the EVGA because it is tax free at tigerdirect with a rebate.

AMD are ones that I am unfamiliar with. My old roommate always complained about catalyst drivers. I have steered clear do to that and forum posts that I see where games seem to not work until an update rolls around.

3) I did not realize it came with thermal compound. Thank you!

4) Do you have any sites with sales?

Thank you once again!

Edit: For video editing I have not picked a program yet. I have been using my Macbook. I used to use Adobe Premiere back in college, but I have not picked up a new version yet. I tried a demo for Elements a while back and was not to thrilled with using it. I may give Vegas a try. I am also going to have to shop around for pricing as well on that.

DTKT

You need to install a backplate first. Then, you need move 4 screws so that they fit according to your socket type. Those 4 screws are the most annoying thing I ever had to use.

It's fine after that though. Just make sure to test everything outside the case first.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Oh it's not the compound, it's installing the fucking bracket

Yep.

Carefully pay attention to the notches for the screws for your chipset, and even then very carefully align, correct, then tighten slightly in a alternating pattern. Don't screw one or you'll make it impossible.

mkenyon

Banned
Thank you for your reply.

1) Will this PSU cause any problems if I add more hard drives? Future proofing as well if I ever decide to do a small video card upgrade (SLI)

2) How do you tell the noise level of the video card. I am swaying towards the EVGA because it is tax free at tigerdirect with a rebate.

AMD are ones that I am unfamiliar with. My old roommate always complained about catalyst drivers. I have steered clear do to that and forum posts that I see where games seem to not work until an update rolls around.

3) I did not realize it came with thermal compound. Thank you!

4) Do you have any sites with sales?

Thank you once again!

Edit: For video editing I have not picked a program yet. I have been using my Macbook. I used to use Adobe Premiere back in college, but I have not picked up a new version yet. I tried a demo for Elements a while back and was not to thrilled with using it. I may give Vegas a try. I am also going to have to shop around for pricing as well on that.
Reviews on video cards generally do noise levels. EVGA cards are about twice as loud as non reference cards with good coolers, like the one I linked.

Catalyst headaches are a thing of the past pretty much. Both sides have all sorts of random issues with day 0/1 games.

With Vegas, it can use both the GPU and CPU power for encoding which drastically lowers the total time it takes. AMD cards do this really well with Vegas. Not sure on Premiere.

The PSU I linked can certainly handle two 670s, but at your monitor resolution, 2GB of VRAM just won't cut it down the line, so I'd avoid plans of SLI. The Antec BP550 will handle your specified system as well as a number of extra drives with ease.
How so? This is going to be my first time applying thermal compound and I could use any tips or warnings.
The installation documentation leaves a lot to be desired. It's really not that hard though.

IMACOMPUTA

Hey pc doods.

I'm looking for a 2tb external hdd (or internal if its a good enough deal to buy the enclosure separately).
It's going to be a christmas gift for my brother. It doesnt really matter if its 2.5" or 3.5", whichever is a better deal.

Anybody know of anything?

Yep.

Carefully pay attention to the notches for the screws for your chipset, and even then very carefully align, correct, then tighten slightly in a alternating pattern. Don't screw one or you'll make it impossible.

the bracket for the back was a bitch for me since for some reason the spacer on the alternate side was not going in the bracket hole as cleanly. :(

also the sliding of the cooler annoyed me also when trying to get that expandable one, plus that screwing advice is needed when you are doing the final screwing as well

mrboo001

Banned
So I'm starting to shop around for upgrades, getting ready for the new SimCity. Build my current rig it back in 2010 for Civ5. It still runs great (Sleeping Dogs and NFS:Most Wanted run at max well enough) but I don't know how well it will run SimCity 2013. Here's the build I have now. No overclocking what so ever

RAM: 6GB, G.SKILL Ripjaws, DDR3
CPU: Intel i7-930 2.8 GHz Bloomfield
Motherboard: EVGA E758-A1
Graphics: One EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi)
HDs: 2 Western Digital 640 GBs, one Blue series and one Black series
Power: 750W

I think I should upgrade the RAM, but by how much? I seen that you can get up to 32 GB but that seems like overkill.

I'm also starting to ponder about upgrading my graphics card but I it can wait until spring. Perhaps I shoud just get another 460 but I think they are starting to become outdated.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Iacobellis

So I'm starting to shop around for upgrades, getting ready for the new SimCity. Build my current rig it back in 2010 for Civ5. It still runs great (Sleeping Dogs and NFS:Most Wanted run at max well enough) but I don't know how well it will run SimCity 2013. Here's the build I have now. No overclocking what so ever

RAM: 6GB, G.SKILL Ripjaws, DDR3
CPU: Intel i7-930 2.8 GHz Bloomfield
Motherboard: EVGA E758-A1
Graphics: One EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi)
HDs: 2 Western Digital 640 GBs, one Blue series and one Black series
Power: 750W

I think I should upgrade the RAM, but by how much? I seen that you can get up to 32 GB but that seems like overkill.

I'm also starting to ponder about upgrading my graphics card but I it can wait until spring. Perhaps I shoud just get another 460 but I think they are starting to become outdated.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Your RAM and GPU jumped out to me the most. 8GB is becoming the standard nowadays and a 460 is pretty outdated now. 7xx series come out sometime next year.

dekjo

Your RAM and GPU jumped out to me the most. 8GB is becoming the standard nowadays and a 460 is pretty outdated now. 7xx series come out sometime next year.

I don't think RAM will do a whole lot. Maybe a new video card, maybe, but an SSD and overclocking might be enough. But I've always been told not to upgrade until you need to. If everything is running well, keep it until you hit that performance threshold where you feel something is needed.

Lkr

the antec vp 450 includes a 4+4pin connector and not an 8pin connector. how the hell am i supposed to fit this into my motherboard?

I received my Sapphire 7950 from NCIX Canada. It did not come with anything regarding the Never Settle bundle (Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, SLeeping Dogs)

Anyone else in the same boat?

x3r0123

time to do some benchmarks!

I received my Sapphire 7950 from NCIX Canada. It did not come with anything regarding the Never Settle bundle (Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, SLeeping Dogs)

they send you an email with the codes. If you don't hear from them within 2 days, just email them

n64coder

Hey pc doods.

I'm looking for a 2tb external hdd (or internal if its a good enough deal to buy the enclosure separately).
It's going to be a christmas gift for my brother. It doesnt really matter if its 2.5" or 3.5", whichever is a better deal.

Anybody know of anything?

I suggest looking at slickdeals.com forums for a week. I always see different external hdd drive deals get posted, almost daily.

The more expensive one seems to include a mounting bracket, SATA cable, and some sort of software.

zychi

Banned

I bought mine from newegg(USgaf) and it came on a sheet hidden in the box that led me to a website that gave me the codes after inputting a code

I'm confused as to which motherboard to buy for an i5 3570k processor. Do I get a MSI Z77A-G43, G43, or a ASUS P8Z77-V Lk? What's the difference between the 43 and 45?

Lkr

Windows install froze and one of my fans isn't spinning. I'm about to just say fuck it and try again tomorrow

the antec vp 450 includes a 4+4pin connector and not an 8pin connector. how the hell am i supposed to fit this into my motherboard?

just plug it in anyways.

Windows install froze and one of my fans isn't spinning. I'm about to just say fuck it and try again tomorrow

check if it was connected securely and if you really want remove it the replug it in again. Ensure the the cpufan is properly connected too.

Lkr

just plug it in anyways.

check if it was connected securely and if you really want remove it the replug it in again. Ensure the the cpufan is properly connected too.
Bios showed my CPU temp at 33 so I think CPU fan is fine. I just don't understand why windows install keeps hanging at installing features

Bleether

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45345044&postcount=6860

Fuck it I give up. I just cannot find a cheap reputable 64 GB SSD around 60-70-ish (Samsung/Crucial are all I'm looking at) for my build. I'm about to just get a WD Caviar Blue 500 GB drive for my OS. Damn out of stock items, I had just missed the 830 sale...

There was a sale on a Kingston128gb ssd for 70 bucks not to long ago on amazon, usually after x-mass and new year there is another round of sales to push out old inventory for the new year.

Lkr

i was installing the debug version of win 7 because i'm a moron. downloading the right version from msdn right now ;_;

mrboo001

Banned

Just as I figured. I'll keep an eye out for that series (AMD right?) What do you think of going beyond 8GB?

I don't think RAM will do a whole lot. Maybe a new video card, maybe, but an SSD and overclocking might be enough. But I've always been told not to upgrade until you need to. If everything is running well, keep it until you hit that performance threshold where you feel something is needed.

SSD would make sense. Would help with load times and now that we are able to install Steam games on different drives it would help with Civ5 too.

I've never overclock anything in my life. The reason why I went with that CPU was to mostly avoid it.

Thanks for the replies!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45345044&postcount=6860

Fuck it I give up. I just cannot find a cheap reputable 64 GB SSD around 60-70-ish (Samsung/Crucial are all I'm looking at) for my build. I'm about to just get a WD Caviar Blue 500 GB drive for my OS. Damn out of stock items, I had just missed the 830 sale...

well the 64gb crucial is 80 on newegg or you will have to wait until one of those drops happen again.

Bios showed my CPU temp at 33 so I think CPU fan is fine. I just don't understand why windows install keeps hanging at installing features

well thats good since the cpu fan not working would be fucking terrible.

so just check where you connect your case fans to see if they were connected properly.

Lkr

well thats good since the cpu fan not working would be fucking terrible.

so just check where you connect your case fans to see if they were connected properly.

yeah i'm hoping it just fell out when i was trying to reroute some cables. i'll get to it tomorrow though, way too tired now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom