• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

So that's how it is... thanks so much!
Ah, you've reminded me to go to gaf for this trade, awesome.

Yeah, when i bought a video card on black friday that's how it worked. I confirmed through chat that it would all be physical cards and they were included in the box.
One of the games was Assassin's Creed 3 and it had a code that was to be redeemed through a geforce nvidia site. Then you would get the uplay code. So when i sold it I just Pmd the buyer the code and site link.
The other game was a steam key so that was easier, I just PMd the steam key.

Hi. I'm not really too knowledgable with regards to computer components but I've been asked by a relative which computer case and fan they should buy, and, despite repeatedly stating that I don't know the first thing about these components the task is still stuck with me so I'm hoping that somebody here would be able to suggest something. I've looked through the opening post and although it suggests that it is mostly about "personal taste" I'm still hesitant to just recommend something cheap as they want a good cooling system.

The dimensions requested for the case were:
around 406mm x 180mm x 420mm (Approx H x W x D)
the depth can be a bit bigger
the height can be about 5 cm bigger
and the width can be about 2 cm bigger
While the overall budget for both the case and fan was €200 but "preferably less" (note that this will need to cover shipping and as but he and I are in Ireland this could be considerable).

I was looking at this case (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00652EJHC/) but there is simply such a wide variety of potential cases I don't know what I should be looking for so I'm hoping somebody else would be able to find something that is better/more efficient and a compatible fan (or any adequate cooling system) for the case (if not included). I really do appreciate any help, thanks!

MotherFan

Ok, wife gave me awesome preasent for anniversary! We went to microcenter to get a mouse, then she told me to load up the cart! Gonna have pictures soonish, but its nice :)

Jburton

Banned
Thanks for this. I have been researching a few different cooling methods but didn't see this one. Where did you buy it to?

What memory speed have you added to your card? I can add 450MHz on the offset (using EVGA Precision X).

Overclockers UK is where I bought the cooler.

I am going back to stock and starting with mem clock increases only until I reach an instability.

What driver version are you using?

Overclockers UK is where I bought the cooler.

I am going back to stock and starting with mem clock increases only until I reach an instability.

What driver version are you using?

I am currently using the 310.79 driver but I overclocked the card a while back using older drivers.

My card is a Zotac 2GB (not the Amp! one) by the way; what card are you using?

I used Heaven to overclock the card and worked in 50MHz increments on the GPU clock offset until it became unstable. I then worked backwards from that number by decreasing 10MHz each time until it was okay again. I found the sweet spot at 143MHz.

The memory speed was done separately using the same theory.

This is the guide I worked from: http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

kennah

Kind of a random question - would I see an increase in performance going from a Q6600 2.4ghz to an E6750 2.66 ghz? All I do is watch media and play games. I'm asking because it looks like I can sell my cpu and swap it out while making a few bucks. What's a fair asking price for the q6600 anyway? It is one of the good overclocker steppings.

kharma45

Kind of a random question - would I see an increase in performance going from a Q6600 2.4ghz to an E6750 2.66 ghz? All I do is watch media and play games. I'm asking because it looks like I can sell my cpu and swap it out while making a few bucks. What's a fair asking price for the q6600 anyway? It is one of the good overclocker steppings.

It's a step down in most respects, I guess it depends on how much money you'd make.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/60?vs=53

Thanks. I was pretty keen on getting the AsRock anyway so i went with that.

No problem. Got an older ASROCK P55 board myself and I've been more than pleased with it.

Ah I'll get the G550. At least I know it'll very good!

Yeah it's a good mid-range one and can pull 650w if needed. You'll not go too far wrong!

X Series of PSUs from Seasonic are the dogs bollocks frankly but the G Series will more than meet your needs by the looks of it.

Anton668

I was looking at this case (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00652EJHC/) but there is simply such a wide variety of potential cases I don't know what I should be looking for so I'm hoping somebody else would be able to find something that is better/more efficient and a compatible fan (or any adequate cooling system) for the case (if not included). I really do appreciate any help, thanks!

From what im hear, you cant go wrong with a HAF
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003XEDTLM/

though i myself have a Corsair 600TM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004X63JWS/

I thinking of getting this PSU. What is your PC config? Still not sure what PSU to get... :S

The G series you are looking at is really good - would have been my choice also, but to keep costs down I went with the XFX550. I would also like a modular supply in the future...

NoRéN;45955252 said:
Yeah, when i bought a video card on black friday that's how it worked. I confirmed through chat that it would all be physical cards and they were included in the box.
One of the games was Assassin's Creed 3 and it had a code that was to be redeemed through a geforce nvidia site. Then you would get the uplay code. So when i sold it I just Pmd the buyer the code and site link.
The other game was a steam key so that was easier, I just PMd the steam key.
Ahh, okay. Perhaps I would even take a picture of the said physical card when I post it up.

I wouldn't forget to throw in the Fractal Design choices as well, although I'm not sure how prices go in the UK.
ARC midi

Silent case choice: Define R4
I own the R4 :)

NoRéN

Ahh, okay. Perhaps I would even take a picture of the said physical card when I post it up.

It wasn't necessary in my case. It couldn't hurt, but I don't think that's needed.

Just make sure to be descriptive in your post. Let everyone know if it's a steam key, uplay code, etc.

Echoplx

I am currently using the 310.79 driver but I overclocked the card a while back using older drivers.

My card is a Zotac 2GB (not the Amp! one) by the way; what card are you using?

I used Heaven to overclock the card and worked in 50MHz increments on the GPU clock offset until it became unstable. I then worked backwards from that number by decreasing 10MHz each time until it was okay again. I found the sweet spot at 143MHz.

The memory speed was done separately using the same theory.

This is the guide I worked from: http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

What the hell were NV thinking when they designed these chips? seems like such an over complicated procedure for something that used to be easy.

So the new computer is fully up and running. I'd like to say thanks to everyone who gave me advice here as it helped quite a lot.

Full specs:

Case: CoolerMaster XB
PSU: Antec 750W semi-modular
CPU: i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6 Ghz
Cooler: Alpenföhn K2 Mount Doom (Yes, its HUGE)
Mobo: Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 M-ATX
RAM: 16GB TeamGroup ddr3 (2x 8GB)
GPU's: 2X 3GB EVGA 660 GTX SC edition

I am in love with that case and thinking of going with it for my near future build one thing that concerns me is the mounting of the Powersupply and I can't for the life of me find a good shot of the backside once installed. My understanding is it extrudes out the back and inch or two? If you could give a shot of that I'd love you forever. Seems like a great case to cart to my big screen and back so I can try out the Steam big picture etc...

Would anyone recommend a particular 1TB backup drive? I was thinking about going with this just based on popularity and price. Just planning to back up music/photos/documents basically.

Exuro

Does anyone with a CM hyper 212 fan know how far the brackets on the back of the board protrude?(currently shipping) My brother's bitfenix shinobi doesn't center on the cpu socket so only two of the fan holes are out in the open and I'm somewhat concerned if I'll need to cut off part of it to get it to fit or whatnot.

jddhpIeNQly04.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Does anyone with a CM hyper 212 fan know how far the brackets on the back of the board protrude?(currently shipping) My brother's bitfenix shinobi doesn't center on the cpu socket so only two of the fan holes are out in the open and I'm somewhat concerned if I'll need to cut off part of it to get it to fit or whatnot.
They are designed to work within the space provided by standoffs, so no worries.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Know of any good couch desks?

I want dual monitors on it, a place for the tower, keyboard and mouse holder on the desk probably, wheels to roll it 90 degrees against the wall .

I like having my monitor in foreground and my hdtv in the background. I currently use my coffee table with the monitor on old text books with the keyboard in my lap and mouse on the couch coushin.

scogoth

Know of any good couch desks?

I want dual monitors on it, a place for the tower, keyboard and mouse holder on the desk probably, wheels to roll it 90 degrees against the wall .

Couch desk?

I don't know of any desks the size you are asking for that are specifically for couches. I would suggest just getting a table with wheels and adding mkeyon style wire rack to hold everything up. mkenyon want to post that picture again of your desk?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Couch desk?

I don't know of any desks the size you are asking for that are specifically for couches. I would suggest just getting a table with wheels and adding mkeyon style wire rack to hold everything up. mkenyon want to post that picture again of your desk?
Like this maybe:
http://www.officedepot.com/mb/skupage.do?skuid=650900
That's expensive tho.

But room for two monitors and hopefully the height of the keyboard and mouse aren't awkward with the height of the couch.

Don't need a lower board for a printer, but room for a nice speaker set.

The wires in the back would be ugly tho.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

You should be fine. Cutouts are popular, but not standard, and most coolers are made to fit without a cutout (I actaully don't know of any cooler that requires a cut out).

Thanks for the recommendations but the biggest problem is simply that they are, unfortunately, too big which is where my biggest problem is occuring (finding decent cases which are as small as he wishes as it's to go in an enclosure with holes on the back and sides) with maximum dimensions of "around 456mm x 200mm x 430mm" (in which those and the other cases unfortunately vastly exceed). Personally I would agree that a bigger case would be much better and I'll definitely recommend those but unfortunately I don't think I'll be successful in pushing them. Thanks to you and everybody else who gave recommendations also.

Actually, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly should I be looking for when trying to find a case that fits the dimensions? As of now I'm just clicking randomally on various models but I don't know how to gauge which are better so that would also be helpful so that I'd be able to search more efficiently/with greater knowledge.

Are there any new graphics cards due out relatively soon (next couple of months)? I don't want anything high end, but as I'm not in a rush I figure I might as well wait for the next release to push the prices down on the existing models.

kharma45

Are there any new graphics cards due out relatively soon (next couple of months)? I don't want anything high end, but as I'm not in a rush I figure I might as well wait for the next release to push the prices down on the existing models.

AMD's new stuff is expected Q2, I would presume Nvidia will be the same.

NoRéN

Any specific reasons to get a gaming mouse and keyboard? Comfort?

I don't do online multiplayer and enjoy having a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

jsrv

I've been using a basic Logitech desktop mic for a few years now, and no problems.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XK1338/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It looks like this one has been discontinued and is out of production. :\ The original retail price was $19, but there's a premium for it now since it's no longer made.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O7K4LO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This was also in Amazon, so I wonder if it is the successor? Anyone used this for their games?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Your Current Specs: Laptop, rubbish specs
Budget: USA, ideally ~500, max 600
Main Use: Mid-range gaming. I'll be keeping my laptop for most tasks.
Monitor Resolution: TV via HDMI.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: None really as I haven't bought games for my PC due to having no gaming ability. I do have Amnesia which is too much for my laptop though. Essentially I'm looking for something to play relatively recent games on which I can upgrade in the future.
When will you build?: 1 month or so
Will you be overclocking?: I doubt it

My current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vpa5

Basically just looking for some feedback or suggestions/problems. I was already thinking of bumping the motherboard up one price point.

Lkr

no 2013 thread yet then? hopefully not posting in the wrong place. i have my antec 300 and the top case fan doesn't work. it isn't a problem yet(winter still), but i'd like to get it working. is it more likely that i got a doa fan or the one port on the mobo is bad? hwmonitor detects to systemfans(sysfan1 and 2, which they are plugged into), so i don't know what to say

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
no 2013 thread yet then? hopefully not posting in the wrong place. i have my antec 300 and the top case fan doesn't work. it isn't a problem yet(winter still), but i'd like to get it working. is it more likely that i got a doa fan or the one port on the mobo is bad? hwmonitor detects to systemfans(sysfan1 and 2, which they are plugged into), so i don't know what to say
Test a different fan on that mobo port and see if it works. Also see if anything is caught in it.

Unfortunately I'm going to be busy for a bit (School, Insurance x2, Work project, and Firefall Tournament Casting/Streaming/Hosting) so I won't be able to even start a lot of the reworking until a week from now. I didn't have a car for the past 3 weeks either, but finally have one now (That process took a while).

I've got a lot of wants to be done with the 2013 thread and would rather use this one until all of those changes are ready :). Luckily there are lot of dedicated helpful people around here! (And anyone's feedback is more than welcome for the 2013 Thread.)

scogoth

Test a different fan on that mobo port and see if it works. Also see if anything is caught in it.

Unfortunately I'm going to be busy for a bit (School, Insurance x2, Work project, and Firefall Tournament Casting/Streaming/Hosting) so I won't be able to even start a lot of the reworking until a week from now. I didn't have a car for the past 3 weeks either, but finally have one now (That process took a while).

I've got a lot of wants to be done with the 2013 thread and would rather use this one until all of those changes are ready :). Luckily there are lot of dedicated helpful people around here! (And anyone's feedback is more than welcome for the 2013 Thread.)

Do you need help with anything for the new thread? Editing, graphics, new sections?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If anyone has ideas on formatting, structure, content, etc. Feel free to post or PM me as well.
Do you need help with anything for the new thread? Editing, graphics, new sections?
The Accessories section is one going to be getting a major content update. Also of course build updates. And the SFF section being more prominent.

A simple compact layout like the PC Cases section would be ideal. Some new formatting or theme would be nice as well, but definitely not mandatory.

If I find some goddam time somewhere I'd also like to bench and showcase the i3 + gtx 460 rig I have to give people an idea of how much power they can expect from such a budget system. But that's been something I've been meaning to do for a while. :/
I wrote a lot of notes on this, but now I can't find them!

NoRéN

I would find it really helpful if you could include a post-build section focusing on the extras once the build is complete.

Section on fan recommendations, monitors, keyboards, speakers and everything sound, etc. I know y'all have the knowledge. It would be nice to have that info. On hand.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NoRéN;45973069 said:
I would find it really helpful if you could include a post-build section focusing on the extras once the build is complete.

Section on fan recommendations, monitors, keyboards, speakers and everything sound, etc. I know y'all have the knowledge. It would be nice to have that info. On hand.
That is the accessories section :)
It's small and barebones right now in the OP, but it's there and will be overhauled.

kharma45

Your Current Specs: Laptop, rubbish specs
Budget: USA, ideally ~500, max 600
Main Use: Mid-range gaming. I'll be keeping my laptop for most tasks.
Monitor Resolution: TV via HDMI.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: None really as I haven't bought games for my PC due to having no gaming ability. I do have Amnesia which is too much for my laptop though. Essentially I'm looking for something to play relatively recent games on which I can upgrade in the future.
When will you build?: 1 month or so
Will you be overclocking?: I doubt it

My current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vpa5

Basically just looking for some feedback or suggestions/problems. I was already thinking of bumping the motherboard up one price point.

You could drop your PSU to this http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62331&vpn=VP450&manufacture=Antec and then put the money (if possible) towards a 7850, the performance jump up from the 7770 is worth it.

I could do with some PC advise GAF.

From work I have been given an Dell Optiplex 7010. It's a 3.2Ghz I5 CPU, 8GB of ram, so should be pretty decent base for a gaming PC?

I have been told out of hours (I work from home) I can use it as a gaming/personal machine if I put a second hdd in and dual boot it. So I plan to stick Windows 8 on it and use it as my steam machine. I'm primarily a Mac guy, and have been out of the "building your own PC" fun for years now, so I'm super out of touch.

My questions are twofold

A) It's got a PCI Express slot, so I can put a graphics card in (It's just Intel HD4000 onboard at the moment. Without breaking the bank, what is recommended nowadays That I can just buy and stick in? Is Nvidia still the top dog? I suppose my budget for this would be around £200-ish. Looking at the list in the OP, I guess this would be a GTX 660/TI?

B) Looking at the label on the PSU, it's a 275W PSU. Would I need to replace this to put a decent graphic card and an extra HDD in, or should I be able to get away with it?

Any other advise that I've probably missed would be appreciated.

Thanks Gaf.

B) Looking at the label on the PSU, it's a 275W PSU. Would I need to replace this to put a decent graphic card and an extra HDD in, or should I be able to get away with it?

You absolutely need to replace that in order to use a decent GPU. Even the Antec VP450 will suffice for a 660ti.

I'd check if it fits the case too. Not sure about the PSU since there are a few instances where pre-built PCs slightly don't follow the standard PSU size. Judging from this pic looks like fitting the GPU won't be a problem if you don't have anything inserted to your PCI slot.

You absolutely need to replace that in order to use a decent GPU. Even the Antec VP450 will suffice for a 660ti.

I'd check if it fits the case too. Not sure about the PSU since there are a few instances where pre-built PCs slightly don't follow the standard PSU size. Judging from this pic looks like fitting the GPU won't be a problem if you don't have anything inserted to your PCI slot.

Yep, that's exactly how it looks inside. PCI slots are all empty and as you say it looks like there's plenty of room.

I see the antek VP450's are cheap as chips (£34.99) and the case looks like it's standard CPU but I'll get the dimensions and double check to be sure.

kharma45

I could do with some PC advise GAF.

From work I have been given an Dell Optiplex 7010. It's a 3.2Ghz I5 CPU, 8GB of ram, so should be pretty decent base for a gaming PC?

I have been told out of hours (I work from home) I can use it as a gaming/personal machine if I put a second hdd in and dual boot it. So I plan to stick Windows 8 on it and use it as my steam machine. I'm primarily a Mac guy, and have been out of the "building your own PC" fun for years now, so I'm super out of touch.

My questions are twofold

A) It's got a PCI Express slot, so I can put a graphics card in (It's just Intel HD4000 onboard at the moment. Without breaking the bank, what is recommended nowadays That I can just buy and stick in? Is Nvidia still the top dog? I suppose my budget for this would be around £200-ish. Looking at the list in the OP, I guess this would be a GTX 660/TI?

Any other advise that I've probably missed would be appreciated.

Thanks Gaf.

For £200 you won't get a 660Ti now (unless you go for this reference one), just the regular 660.

For the 660 I'd look at this EVGA one as I feel it's pretty good value for money and it's the highest clocked one I can see around. There are of course other cooling solutions around for the 660 such as the MSI TF3 or the ASUS DCUII.

On the AMD side you're looking at either the 7870 XT (which is a limited edition card, in short its basically a 7950 with a few less cores a bit like how the 560Ti 448 was a 570 missing a few) or a proper 7950 but they come in over budget, however have three free games which you could either keep or sell to bring down to £200.

I would look to upgrade your PSU too, what's your budget for that?

For £200 you won't get a 660Ti now (unless you go for this reference one), just the regular 660.

For the 660 I'd look at this EVGA one as I feel it's pretty good value for money and it's the highest clocked one I can see around. There are of course other cooling solutions around for the 660 such as the MSI TF3 or the ASUS DCUII.

On the AMD side you're looking at either the 7870 XT (which is a limited edition card, in short its basically a 7950 with a few less cores a bit like how the 560Ti 448 was a 570 missing a few) or a proper 7950 but they come in over budget, however have three free games which you could either keep or sell to bring down to £200.

I would look to upgrade your PSU too, what's your budget for that?

I've found 660TI for £212 from Aria here

In regards to PSU. Just whatever I need to just get the card up and running really, as I suspected the 275w stock one just wasn't enough. So any mid-range PSU that would run the card, 2x hdd's and a dvd drive would honestly do the trick for me.

For some time I've been contemplating the £899 Alienware X-51 machine, but this machine falling into my lap seems like a reasonable machine to bring up to a similar spec for under £300 total.

kharma45

I've found 660TI for £212 from Aria here

In regards to PSU. Just whatever I need to just get the card up and running really, as I suspected the 275w stock one just wasn't enough. So any mid-range PSU that would run the card, 2x hdd's and a dvd drive would honestly do the trick for me.

For some time I've been contemplating the £899 Alienware X-51 machine, but this machine falling into my lap seems like a reasonable machine to bring up to a similar spec for under £300 total.

Do you want a modular PSU? If not then the XFX I've listed in this post here is probably your best option, but take a look at the others too if you're interested http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=45953421#post45953421

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom