• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whooter

So tonight I notice that the game coupons are BACK on the Radeon cards at Newegg. I just sent an e-mail to Customer Support in the vain hope they can get me one of them to go with my 7950.

Well, Newegg told me if it wasn't in my cart at the time of ordering, I'm SOL. Dicks.

Guess I'm sending it back then. :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have locked down my upgrades when I get things together in February. This time, since I'm not getting every part to build this PC, I have more flexibility. I'm keeping my SSD, HDD, and DVD drive.

Here are the parts I chose.......

CASE
Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case

MB
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W

RAM
Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) - Note, I will be getting 16GB worth unless advised not to.

PSU - This is more for future proofing it for the imminent GPU upgrade in 2014.
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular

All together it comes out to around 1k or just under. I can back down on the 16GB of RAM if need be but this is strictly so I can be fast right now and just transplant the rest of my guts into this thing. With only 8GB of RAM, It will be around 900. If I didn't get some of the components, I would have opted for a GPU but I am carrying my 6970 over alongside the other components listed in order to save costs. If I can find a buyer for my 2500k then that may offset cost as well.

Any advice or did I get it right?

I have locked down my upgrades when I get things together in February. This time, since I'm not getting every part to build this PC, I have more flexibility. I'm keeping my SSD, HDD, and DVD drive.

CASE

MB
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU

RAM
Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) - Note, I will be getting 16GB worth unless advised not to.

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular

All together it comes out to around 1k or just under. I can back down on the 16GB of RAM if need be but this is strictly so I can be fast right now and just transplant the rest of my guts into this thing. With only 8GB of RAM, It will be around 900. If I didn't get some of the components, I would have opted for a GPU but I am carrying my 6970 over alongside the other components listed in order to save costs. If I can find a buyer for my 2500k then that may offset cost as well.

How are you going to be using the computer? If the main purpose is gaming, the general consensus is to get the 3570k i5 since i7 since doesn't help all that much with gaming since the games aren't optimized in that way and costs about $100 more.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Not the case I went with, but have any Gaffers gotten one of the SilverStone RAVEN cases, where everything is mounted at a 90 degree angle? Almost went with one after reading some glowing reviews about how well it cools things.

31horE-q02L.jpg
LL

LiquidMetal14

How are you going to be using the computer? If the main purpose is gaming, the general consensus is to get the 3570k i5 since i7 since doesn't help all that much with gaming since the games aren't optimized in that way and costs about $100 more.

I agree and this is what I thought when I first built this PC and opted to forgo the 2600k. Right now, I have the budget to do a 3770k.

Now, I will definitely entertain getting a 3570k but is it like the 2500k/2600k difference of having less threads +hyperthreading only on the 3570k?

I'm versed enough but it's also been 2 years since I seriously looked at parts like this. I'm figuring to strike while the iron is hot on this.

On a separate note, I was reading that in order to get the PC3 2400mhz speed, you need the 3770k. I'm still really trying to wrap my head around little details but if I can get 2400 rated speed on the 3570k then I will look into that one.

The differences I'm reading is 4c/4t on the 3570k vs 4c/8t and hyperthreading on the 3770k.

So can anyone here read dmp files? I was casually listening to music and browsing the web and my screen just artifacted big time and went to a blue screen of death and reset. So can anyone read this and tell me what caused the crash?

NoRéN

Not the case I went with, but have any Gaffers gotten one of the SilverStone RAVEN cases, where everything is mounted at a 90 degree angle? Almost went with one after reading some glowing reviews about how well it cools things.

31horE-q02L.jpg
LL
Those pics are messing with my mind.

DTKT

So can anyone here read dmp files? I was casually listening to music and browsing the web and my screen just artifacted big time and went to a blue screen of death and reset. So can anyone read this and tell me what caused the crash?

I can give it a shot. Upload the .dmp file anywhere you want.

DTKT

http://www66.zippyshare.com/v/22047513/file.html

I appreciate the help. I have been having random artifacts past few months with this card. But with two other friends of mine having similar issues we figured it has to be software related.

Looking around for a bit, it looks like a bad RAM stick might cause that particular error. The dump also mentions dwm.exe, which stands for "Desktop Window Manager". It handles the transparency and all the pretty effects for Windows. I don't think it's a direct cause, but it might be related.

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f)
This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind
that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that
is always instant death (double fault). The first number in the
bugcheck params is the number of the trap (8 = double fault, etc)
Consult an Intel x86 family manual to learn more about what these
traps are. Here is a *portion* of those codes:
If kv shows a taskGate
use .tss on the part before the colon, then kv.
Else if kv shows a trapframe
use .trap on that value
Else
.trap on the appropriate frame will show where the trap was taken
(on x86, this will be the ebp that goes with the procedure KiTrap)
Endif
kb will then show the corrected stack.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000008, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT
Arg2: 0000000080050033
Arg3: 00000000000406f8
Arg4: fffff800034ade1b

Debugging Details:
------------------

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7f_8

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: dwm.exe

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from fffff80003482569 to fffff80003482fc0

STACK_TEXT:
fffff880`033ddce8 fffff800`03482569 : 00000000`0000007f 00000000`00000008 00000000`80050033 00000000`000406f8 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff880`033ddcf0 fffff800`03480a32 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiBugCheckDispatch+0x69
fffff880`033dde30 fffff800`034ade1b : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort+0xb2
fffff880`009ab000 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!RtlpGetStackLimits+0xf

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort+b2
fffff800`03480a32 90 nop

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 2

SYMBOL_NAME: nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort+b2

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nt

IMAGE_NAME: ntkrnlmp.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 503f82be

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x7f_8_nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort+b2

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x7f_8_nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort+b2

Followup: MachineOwner

mkenyon

Banned

31horE-q02L.jpg
LL
It CAN be good, but it is really picky with GPUs. A lot of the non-reference heatsinks do not work well in it, and can give you temps 10-30C higher than they should be, which means lots more noise.

They've abandoned the 90 degree layout on the RV04/FT04.
Yeah I have no idea what that means. I just found this site http://www.media-addicted.de/gigabyte-gtx-560-ti-oc-stable-clock-gpu-voltage-settings-vddc/1056/

Basically it says the factory overclock is unstable which program would be best to fix this
MSI Afterburner, increase voltage.

LiquidMetal14

Doing more research on the Z77 motherboards. I ran into the ASUS Sabertooth. From what it looks like, it supports less memory types (based on their documentation) and at slower speeds. Other than the fancy plastic thermal plating covering most of the MB, why am I paying more for that MB in particular?

The ASUS V-PRO is 30 dollars less and seems much better to me AND it supports more memory.

I'm even entertaining going for the MAXIMUS MB but the main downfall with that is the limited memory support. Unfortunately, the fast DDR3 supported by that particular MB is much more expensive. Considering I can get DDR3 2400 memory at 1/3 the price and it has OC overhead, I see no reason to even consider the ASUS MAXIMUS.

EDIT - Reading even more, it seems like the Deluxe model supports more RAM types.

Tough calls, I will be sticking with what I posted earlier but all these MB's have different angles. I would rather invest in the 3770k for future use and get it out of the way though but may drop 16GB of RAM in favor of 8 in order to save money.

It CAN be good, but it is really picky with GPUs. A lot of the non-reference heatsinks do not work well in it, and can give you temps 10-30C higher than they should be, which means lots more noise.

They've abandoned the 90 degree layout on the RV04/FT04.

MSI Afterburner, increase voltage.

Going by the website it says STABLE: GPU 900 MHz, Shader 1800MHz, VRAM 2000 MHz, VDDC 1,062V

Memory clock the same as shader? cause shader settings dont show up in msi afterburner for me

Redx508

I am looking for a motherboard for the 3570k i am getting soon
looking at
ASUS P8Z77-V LK
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
MSI Z77A-GD65
ASRock Z77 Extreme4(not sure about this one)

which is the better one? any other mobo's i should be looking at

mkenyon

Banned
Going by the website it says STABLE: GPU 900 MHz, Shader 1800MHz, VRAM 2000 MHz, VDDC 1,062V

Memory clock the same as shader? cause shader settings dont show up in msi afterburner for me
Increase bolded incrementally until stable.
I am looking for a motherboard for the 3570k i am getting soon
looking at
ASUS P8Z77-V LK
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
MSI Z77A-GD65
ASRock Z77 Extreme4(not sure about this one)

which is the better one? any other mobo's i should be looking at
OP, buy the one in your price range.

So, my super old computer finally died. I had replaced many of the capacitors over the years and such, but the little guy just couldn't hang on any longer. There was some slight burning, and a terrible smell.

Goodbye, old friend. We had some good times together. Sleep now, and dream forever of bits and bytes. We will see each other again, on the other side.

I gave the case a hug before I stored his remains in the closet. I will never forget you, my little computer buddy.

I will not mope, but will instead celebrate his life. He would have wanted it that way. ;_;

mkenyon

Banned
Just cause I'm all excited to have data, Dota 2 performance with varying clock levels.

So, my super old computer finally died. I had replaced many of the capacitors over the years and such, but the little guy just couldn't hang on any longer. There was some slight burning, and a terrible smell.

Goodbye, old friend. We had some good times together. Sleep now, and dream forever of bits and bytes. We will see each other again, on the other side.

I gave the case a hug before I stored his remains in the closet. I will never forget you, my little computer buddy.

I will not mope, but will instead celebrate his life. He would have wanted it that way. ;_;
knowthatfeel.jpeg

Does this mean time for a new really fast one? If so, then it is a bittersweet passing.

scogoth

Just cause I'm all excited to have data, Dota 2 performance with varying clock levels.

knowthatfeel.jpeg

Does this mean time for a new really fast one? If so, then it is a bittersweet passing.

So Dota 2 doesn't care how fast your one-of-the-fastest gaming CPUs is. What was the GPU?

mkenyon

Banned
It definitely does care. There's an upwards of 15 FPS difference in a lot of places with the stock frequency often dipping below 100 FPS. Since it is a competitive game, the higher the FPS, the more responsive it is as well. I'll get the frame latency data organized tomorrow for further clarification.

GPU was a 7970 Matrix at 1100MHz.

kharma45

CASE

MB

CPU

RAM

Change your RAM from that 1.65v stuff to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

You were looking to do SLI right? If so then stick with that wattage PSU (it's a bit overkill but the one I'm going to recommend is actually cheaper to get 850w than 750w) but change it to this Seasonic instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102&Tpk=x850

LiquidMetal14

Change your RAM from that 1.65v stuff to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

You were looking to do SLI right? If so then stick with that wattage PSU (it's a bit overkill but the one I'm going to recommend is actually cheaper to get 850w than 750w) but change it to this Seasonic instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102&Tpk=x850

Reading the feedback, they seem to be good and OC well. Gonna look into those or slightly higher clocked variants as they seem really cheap and bang for buck. If I OC my CPU, they should get a nice boost as well. Will read more.

I'm gonna take your advice and go with that PSU without question though.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

A side note on the memory, it's not on the ASUS V-PRO's memory compat list so I hope that isn't an issue.

EDIT - Reading more about the Samsung memory, I'm feeling pretty confident in getting 2 8GB kits. They seem to have an OC overhead of 2400mhz if you have the right timings and require less voltage. I can get 16GB for the price of 8GB in my previously chosen Corsair memory. For the cost involved, it's almost a no brainer. Thanks for bringing those to my attention.

Reading the feedback, they seem to be good and OC well. Gonna look into those or slightly higher clocked variants as they seem really cheap and bang for buck. If I OC my CPU, they should get a nice boost as well. Will read more.

I'm gonna take your advice and go with that PSU without question though.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

A side note on the memory, it's not on the ASUS V-PRO's memory compat list so I hope that isn't an issue.

EDIT - Reading more about the Samsung memory, I'm feeling pretty confident in getting 2 8GB kits. They seem to have an OC overhead of 2400mhz if you have the right timings and require less voltage. I can get 16GB for the price of 8GB in my previously chosen Corsair memory. For the cost involved, it's almost a no brainer. Thanks for bringing those to my attention.
Numerous Asus V-series owners (Z77 Pro, Deluxe and others) run those Samsungs. They're some of the best mem you can buy, which is why they're frequently out of stock. You don't have to buy higher clocked options unless you want certain cosmetics, guaranteed stock clocks, or bench modules. Those Samsungs tend to do 1866-2133 (or higher) on stock volts, or undervolted, and, depending on different factors, can top out well north of 2400.

longdi

Banned

31horE-q02L.jpg
LL

It has some old design flaws such as having to remove the top panel to access the back i/o ports and to wash the fan filters. You may have trouble closing the panel with i/o converter plugs. You may need to give more cable allowance for your Wifi/Headphone/Controllers/Cables. Internally it is a bit cramp at times compare to current crop of Corsairs and Fractures.

But main draw of 90 degree mounting is all cables come out from the top, very neat and wont touch the ground if you place the case on the floor. The 3 180mm direct fans are great for cpu and gpu cooling as long as you have the correct exhausting heat sink. My overclocked 7970 vrms never crosses 65 degrees Celsius! And it also remains relatively dust free! My old Lian Li would have dust balls choking up any openings!

I like my a lot because of functional cooling, wont be changing for a while. Very sleek looking too imo. :D

DJ_Lae

One more day until I can start purchasing the rest of my parts (well, while being able to claim them, I could buy them now but I'm out of personal spending credits for this calendar year). I'm pretty excited, the last build I did was four or five years ago, a sub-$500 PC experiment with an X2-7750 and 4830. While an SSD breathed new life into it for general use, gaming it chokes pretty badly on anything released in the last couple of years unless I turn settings way down.

With rebate NCIX currently has a 3570K/AS Rock XZ77 E4 bundle for $315, which is a pretty decent price. That'll pair with the 600T I already have (yeah, I know, a little noisy, but hey) and the dirt cheap 750W High Current Pro I got during black friday.

I can migrate my DVD drive over if I want but for now I'll probably just leave it. SSD comes, though, though I may pick up a faster hard drive than the two greens I'm currently using for Steam/storage.

So that basically just leaves me with memory and a video card. I was originally thinking 7950/7970 but it seems the free game deals are drying up. Has there been official word on it expiring or are retailers just running out of codes? Jumping to the 7900 series and getting two more free games was one of the lures, I'll admit, but given a weird lack of sales on 7970s I almost feel like I'm better off just going with a 7870 for now. Then again, if I've waited this long I can hold out a few more weeks if they are planning on rotating the bundled games.

The Windforce 670 is the quietest high end GPU out there. It also tends to clock really well.

The Define R4, while similar at first glance with the P280 has some pretty huge differences. The HDD bay is modular allowing for better airflow if you aren't using all of the slots. The fit and finish is incredible, definitely the best powdercoat I've seen on a sub $200 case. It also allows for a pretty wide range of thermal configurations with 120 or 140mm fans being able to go in most places. The 140mm fans it ships with are pretty decent too, and it even has a voltage selectable fan controller for setting them where they need/can be for even more silent operation. It's also a bit more wide which allows for easier cable management. Not a small feat when all of the panels are sporting fairly thick sound dampening material.

Dig around, folks everywhere love it. I still say, quiet designed or not, I can't recommend any case $150 or less above it.

Sounds good. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with a Define R4 whenever I build my gaming rig.

Small%20%281%20of%2014%29.jpg

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm getting this about 10 seconds after I get to the desktop after a startup. It's happening every time now. I can boot in safe mode but I really don't know what to look for there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

n5i0s.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
By the way I'm super busy and the 2013 Thread won't go up until the first/second week of January. Please continue to use this thread until then. Thanks!
I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm getting this about 10 seconds after I get to the desktop after a startup. It's happening every time now. I can boot in safe mode but I really don't know what to look for there. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Can you do a System Restore to before that happens?

You need to uninstall some drivers that are causing that while in safe mode that. Have you installed or updated anything recently?

Download CCleaner and give it a run to clean and use it's registry function, then use the Startup Tab to disable things you don't need on startup. Then remove any odd programs or ones you don't use anymore.

I just did a system restore to Christmas Eve and so far so good. Now I guess I gotta figure out which drivers are bad. I haven't installed any new hardware recently. I updated my motherboard a few days ago though because of some other intermittent crashes I was having. Is this just the life of being a Windows user? I've been a Mac user for the last 30 years until I built this system in the summer.

Is this HD good at $79? 1 TB WD Black HD...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._mmc=EMC-GD123112-_-index-_-Item-_-22-136-533

I believe I've read on here that they are the better performing WD HD's but are much louder than the other WD drives. Is that correct?

If I should avoid this for any reason, which is the best HD to look for? I'm building slowly and watching sales but want to jump on one as soon as I see a sale so would like to know which ones I should be keeping an eye on. As always, thanks!

DTKT

Is this HD good at $79? 1 TB WD Black HD...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._mmc=EMC-GD123112-_-index-_-Item-_-22-136-533

I believe I've read on here that they are the better performing WD HD's but are much louder than the other WD drives. Is that correct?

If I should avoid this for any reason, which is the best HD to look for? I'm building slowly and watching sales but want to jump on one as soon as I see a sale so would like to know which ones I should be keeping an eye on. As always, thanks!

WD blacks are really loud. Scary loud sometimes. It's a good drive though.

mkenyon

Banned
More info:

1C761.png

UdymV.png

I used 11.1ms as a threshold as when the framerate dips below 90 you start to really feel a nasty stutter. My suspicions were that 4200MHz was the magic number in this case for smoothing everything out. Suspicions were correct!

The blacks perform better and is a great deal for $79. I'm a bit of a silence freak though so I'd prefer the blue.

Ok, one more question. Is there a significant performance improvement over the WD Blue? I'm a bit concerned about the noise, but if the performance is noticeable I'm considering pulling the trigger.

Also, if anyone else has any thoughts, by all means feel free to share :)

Edit: Also, what are the overall thoughts on Samsung/Seagate?

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
What do you guys think of this build? Keep in mind that we will be using a hard drive for an older computer (320gigs SATAII) for the storage space so the 64GB SSD will only be for boot and a few games. This is a poor man's build for my brother who has a 300$ budget and I'll be paying the extra 100$ for the 400$ price of the build. He'll be using my copy of Windows 7 since I've upgraded to Windows 8. He will be mostly playing Diablo 3 on his 720p TV so I'm guessing that this build should be able to do it. Also, if you can find something better on the same website or elsewhere in Canada for the same price (keep in mind 400$ budget includes taxes AND shipping) then feel free to post it here. What I mostly want to know though is what you guys think of the build and if you think everything looks in order. I'll be giving him some arctic silver thermal paste I have left as well.

screenshot20121228at548.png

LiquidMetal14

·feist·;45923039 said:
Numerous Asus V-series owners (Z77 Pro, Deluxe and others) run those Samsungs. They're some of the best mem you can buy, which is why they're frequently out of stock. You don't have to buy higher clocked options unless you want certain cosmetics, guaranteed stock clocks, or bench modules. Those Samsungs tend to do 1866-2133 (or higher) on stock volts, or undervolted, and, depending on different factors, can top out well north of 2400.

I will definitely go with them then. I will come back when the time is right and likely ask for some timing or best settings to get the best out of them.

I may save some money this way.

I do have a question, the ASUS Maximus board documentation only shows 2 RAM types for support. I was originally going to go with that board since it's the best for OC'ing but will it not support something like the Samsung memory? I hate that these documents aren't clear on which RAM doesn't work since many people just pop it in and it works regardless of it not being on the supported RAM list.

This is the MB I'm talking about. - The ASUS Maximus V FORMULA LGA 1155 Intel Z77. Looks really good and has all that heat protection.

SoulClap

Ok, one more question. Is there a significant performance improvement over the WD Blue? I'm a bit concerned about the noise, but if the performance is noticeable I'm considering pulling the trigger.

Also, if anyone else has any thoughts, by all means feel free to share :)

Edit: Also, what are the overall thoughts on Samsung/Seagate?

The performance difference is not noticeable to me.

hwalker84

Got everything read to go for the processor and SSD. Damn brother in law slacking on shipping my stuff. I need to do some final cable management once everythings in.

kharma45

What do you guys think of this build? Keep in mind that we will be using a hard drive for an older computer (320gigs SATAII) for the storage space so the 64GB SSD will only be for boot and a few games. This is a poor man's build for my brother who has a 300$ budget and I'll be paying the extra 100$ for the 400$ price of the build. He'll be using my copy of Windows 7 since I've upgraded to Windows 8. He will be mostly playing Diablo 3 on his 720p TV so I'm guessing that this build should be able to do it. Also, if you can find something better on the same website or elsewhere in Canada for the same price (keep in mind 400$ budget includes taxes AND shipping) then feel free to post it here. What I mostly want to know though is what you guys think of the build and if you think everything looks in order. I'll be giving him some arctic silver thermal paste I have left as well.

screenshot20121228at548.png

What website is that?

mr2xxx

Banned
Any special settings when you take a external harddrive and make it internal? I tried two different hard drives and one isn't read correctly and the other one can be read but can't format properly. The one that couldn't be read works fine when in the USB enclosure but not when connected via sata cable.

Whooter

ANything special settings when you take a external harddrive and make it internal? I tried two different hard drives and one wouldn't be read correctly and the other one can be read but can't format properly. The one that couldn't be read works fine when in the USB enclosure but not when connected via sata cable..

This will sound like a dumb question, but you're hooking a power cable up to it, too, right? I'm not asking because that's ever happened to me or anything.

I'm just saying... :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom