• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
With a better GPU, you'd then be around the same price as the Alienware X51, which is kind of my benchmark standard for 'good deal' on an OEM gaming PC. Going off a quick Google, the PSU on the 8500 is pretty lackluster as well.

I never quite remember how prices compare across the pond, so maybe some UK/Euro guys could help out as well.
Anyone have links to those Korean Monitors on ebay? The 27 inch ones?
Search for Crossover 27Q. AccessoriesWhole, the seller, has a really good warranty service and include all the necessary parts to work with US power specs. They also offer 'Pixel Perfect' monitors that are guaranteed to have zero dead or stuck pixels.

Search for Crossover 27Q. AccessoriesWhole, the seller, has a really good warranty service and include all the necessary parts to work with US power specs. They also offer 'Pixel Perfect' monitors that are guaranteed to have zero dead or stuck pixels.

Awesome. Thanks. Really debating if I should just pull the trigger on this. I still got time to decide but I want to weigh all my options.

mkenyon

Banned
Awesome. Thanks. Really debating if I should just pull the trigger on this. I still got time to decide but I want to weigh all my options.
If you are into competitive games, I still say 120hz > high resolution IPS displays. The smooth motion at 120fps/hz is seriously incredible.

mkenyon

Banned
OC3D does videos of gameplay on their GPU reviews. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are asking.

www.oc3d.tv

*edit*

Oh man, I have found a delicious nugget of information. From a Reddit IAmA with an Intel Architect

Redditor Asks said:
As a person who just bought an Ivy-bridged based system, is there anything you can tell me to convince myself to save up for a haswell or broadwell system?

Intel Answers said:
What do you usually do with your system? If you like to overclock, Haswell is worth it (can't tell you why but read the Haswell Anandtech preview very carefully for buried treasure).

Now to find that treasure...

*edit 2*

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture/2 - scroll down to where it talks about fine grained voltage regulation. Moving the VRM to the die allows very precise voltage allowing for increased stability. Delicious.

edit2: realized you posted about the VS248, not the 247 I own. I revised my post accordingly. I remember looking at the VS248 also.

I caught it pre-revision, appreciate you fixing it, even if they're effectively the same monitor. Leaning toward it, although I might still opt for the 248 in lieu of the 247.

kharma45

With a better GPU, you'd then be around the same price as the Alienware X51, which is kind of my benchmark standard for 'good deal' on an OEM gaming PC. Going off a quick Google, the PSU on the 8500 is pretty lackluster as well.

Price is pretty good tbh, for a 3770 you're talking £243 alone, 8GB RAM say £30, HDD probably £70, optical drive £12, case we'll call it £30, BR drive is probably the guts of £50, Windows £80.

It's not bad for a pre-built machine overall.

*edit*

Oh man, I have found a delicious nugget of information. From a Reddit IAmA with an Intel Architect

Now to find that treasure...

oooo, I look forward to your report back!

Saty

Memory: any difference between all the sub models? For example G.Skill F3-1600C10D-16GAO (16GB) vs. Corsair Vengeance 8GB kit (8GB) which are priced relatively similarly here?

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 vs. Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H. Any notable differences?

Thanks.

Think i'm going to upgrade my PC in installments. One part at a time.

garath

I caught it pre-revision, appreciate you fixing it, even if they're effectively the same monitor. Leaning toward it, although I might still opt for the 248 in lieu of the 247.

Yeah. They do seem almost identical. I love mine. I was hesitant and only jumped on it cause it was on sale and I had a bunch of amazon gift cards but I am happy I did. Bright, great colors, good size, no ghosting or bleeding.

mkenyon

Banned
For gloss screen and nice colors, Samsung S23A750D. Has a DP for 120hz goodness and HDMI for consoles. It'll be a standard 60hz screen over HDMI though.

*edit*

Seems to be out of stock everywhere. BenQXL2420T then, but the colors aren't great. They're "good" for TN though. The stand is pretty incredible, and eliminates a lot of the basic issues with TN (viewing angles) because you can get it just right.

*edit 2*

S23A950D on Tiger Direct for $370 - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1948157&CatId=12

Looks like Fry's still has some in stock in some of the stores. I know they were running a pretty deep discount on them over the holidays, not sure if it is still in effect or not. The deal is 'in store only', so the internet price doesn't reflect it.

Hawk269

Regarding multi-threading, I'll say this: there is no consumer level part with the number of hardware threads/cores that the Durango devkits are packing, based on multiple sources off the record. Also, this might be the year when devs start moving to 64 bit exclusive development. I know Stardock is talking about it a lot, and next-gen is going to push that further.

I know a few people as well and I have heard nothing but positive/amazing things in regards to Durango and the power it has, even though it is not 100% final as of yet. But to hear that no current consumer level part that has the threads/cores that the Durango has is something to smile about! Just pray that they don't cheap out on the RAM for the new system.

Gartikker

Yeah, I have trouble finding the Asus models as well where I live along with the Samsung. BenQ is readily available, but I've read many bad reviews about it.

Rootbeer

Banned
This is the year! Been using a machine I built around the i7 920 sometime around dec 2008. it has served me well, and still does very well in most new games (have to use high settings but not 'max' in a certain games, which i'm okay with), but... it is time.

Have a nice savings put aside for a Haswell machine. :3 Watching this thread daily for any new rumors or benchmarks :d

Akai__

Hmhh, I got invited to a CES pre-event by AMD. Here is a snip:

"With CES right around the corner, AMD would like to invite you to a special event the night before CES on Monday January 7 from 5-6:30 pm. At the event hosted by Chris Pirillo, you’ll be able to;

-Participate in an exclusive preview and experience the AMD SurRound House;
-Have access to AMD executives to learn more about the latest from AMD; and
-Experience some of the products being introduced by AMD partners at CES."

Anybody else got this?

I'm not attending, because I live in Germany and nobody wants to give me ~600€ just like that. :lol

Capture Card: Avermedia Broadcaster HD
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
Memory: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 PC 1600
Motherboard:ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.1)
DVD Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/
PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 1000W Modular
GPU: HIS IceQ X Turbo Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Monitor 1: Asus VH238H 23"
Monitor 2: Dell 2007WFP 20"
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Primary HDD: SEAGATE Barracuda 7200 RPM 250 GB SATA 3.0GB
Secondary HDD: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB SATA 3.0GB

This is my build. I started streaming a couple months ago on 360. I've gotten into single pc streaming and it seems like it's time for me to upgrade to a i7 3770k.

So With that being said, I am looking to get a 3770k

Do I need to get a new motherboard and cpu cooler? (If I do could you please recommend items)

Also I am probably going to replace the barracuda drive with an ssd;
Are either of these options better than the other?

Intel 335 Series SSDSC2CT240A4K5 2.5" 240GB

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB

Thanks in advance.

Echoplx

Just installed my Asus DirectCU GTX670, this is such a huge upgrade in terms of temp and noise from my reference GTX470, the fan at 100% is quieter than my 470 was at idle xd

Are there any major differences between the Asus P8Z77-V LX2 and the P8Z77-V LK? There seems to be fewer USB ports, audio jacks, less multi-GPU support among other things.. Is it just a case of same chipset, more features or are there significant performance increases to be had?

Stubo

Are there any major differences between the Asus P8Z77-V LX2 and the P8Z77-V LK? There seems to be fewer USB ports, audio jacks, less multi-GPU support among other things.. Is it just a case of same chipset, more features or are there significant performance increases to be had?
The LK has SLI support where the LX2 only supports crossfire, I think?

Branson

So I have $150 in amazon money I got for christmas. I cant decide between a capture device (hdpvr, etc) or a new video card. Here are my specs

i5-2500k
GTX580 3gb
8 gb ram

I was looking at a GTX680 and they look pretty sexy. Not sure when the new cards are coming though. Are there new ones on the horizon?

A capture card would just be a fun little investment. Capturing my gameplay for archiving and YouTube uploading. Just for the hell of it.

2San

So I have $150 in amazon money I got for christmas. I cant decide between a capture device (hdpvr, etc) or a new video card. Here are my specs

i5-2500k
GTX580 3gb
8 gb ram

I was looking at a GTX680 and they look pretty sexy. Not sure when the new cards are coming though. Are there new ones on the horizon?

A capture card would just be a fun little investment. Capturing my gameplay for archiving and YouTube uploading. Just for the hell of it.
If you don't have a SSD yet, it's worth considering. I for one will never go without a SSD again.

Branson

If you don't have a SSD yet, it's worth considering. I for one will never go without a SSD again.

I do. I love it. I have just ran into some small framerate issues now that I went to 1080p with a new tv. Far Cry 3 makes me sad since it runs around 30fps maxed. I want more power. But at the same time I want to capture those awesome moments sometimes with a capture device. hmmm....

Stubo

I'm not going to use either, to be honest. Any problems with overclocking etc on the LX2?
There really shouldn't be, perhaps someone with experience of the board would advise a more expensive board for squeezing the last 100mhz out of a chip, but generally speaking I'd say it's a solid enough choice as long as you're happy with the features and selection of ports on the board.

2San

I do. I love it. I have just ran into some small framerate issues now that I went to 1080p with a new tv. Far Cry 3 makes me sad since it runs around 30fps maxed. I want more power. But at the same time I want to capture those awesome moments sometimes with a capture device. hmmm....
I got nothing then, not familiar with capture cards. I'm kinda surprised your card can't handle FC3(@60fps), not that I have the game. I assume your 2500k is already overclocked?

Echoplx

Um maybe I'm reading this wrong but can't you just capture gameplay footage with Fraps? Why do you need a capture card for PC?

Branson

I got nothing then, not familiar with capture cards. I'm kinda surprised your card can't handle FC3(@60fps), not that I have the game. I assume your 2500k is already overclocked?

No, I havent yet because I'm kind of scared about doing it. If there was a nice tutorial you could point me to... lol. I want to though.

Um maybe I'm reading this wrong but can't you just capture gameplay footage with Fraps? Why do you need a capture card for PC?

It's not really for PC. Actually. Scrap that idea. Honestly I could get that another time if i wanted to. Fraps hits framerates pretty hard sometimes. Just a thought on that.

Yeah. They do seem almost identical. I love mine. I was hesitant and only jumped on it cause it was on sale and I had a bunch of amazon gift cards but I am happy I did. Bright, great colors, good size, no ghosting or bleeding.

I have the 247 too, friend. :) It was about $120 around Black Friday if I remember correctly from Newegg. I never did get my rebate though, which leaves me $20 short :(
I got this model over 248 for the brighter screen (300cd vs. the 250cd).

I've been looking at mice lately to go with the new gaming rig I will be building and it's not so cut and dry anymore.

My original gaming mouse was a Razer Boomslang 2000, this was back in '99 or '00. I freaking loved that mouse.

Anyway, I'm looking at something like a G500, G9x, or perhaps a Steel Series ... something. I don't know the differences between those. Maybe a Sensei?

Would someone please make up my mind for me? :D

Branson

So with overclocking do I NEED a new and better cooler? Other than the one that came with my 2500k thats in there now. I have a few fans in the case that are going that came with the case too.

Whooter

So with overclocking do I NEED a new and better cooler? Other than the one that came with my 2500k thats in there now. I have a few fans in the case that are going that came with the case too.

You'll absolutely need an aftermarket cooler (like the Hyper 212+ or EVO) if you want to do any significant overclocking. The stock cooler just won't cut it.

mm04

To 2560x1440 monitor or not to is the question. I'm really tempted, but I'm not sure I have the hardware to really do anything with it. I have an X4 955 @ 3.78ghz + 660ti 2gb. For reference sake, I get 65fps on Batman: AC on Extreme with the typical benchmark settings on 1920x1080. On the plus side, I know that my next machine I build in early 2014 will be able to take full advantage. Any words of advice? I know I'll take a significant framerate hit. I'm wondering if the life of 30fps locked with crazy resolution is better than 60fps at 1080p.

DTKT

To 2560x1440 monitor or not to is the question. I'm really tempted, but I'm not sure I have the hardware to really do anything with it. I have an X4 955 @ 3.78ghz + 660ti 2gb. For reference sake, I get 65fps on Batman: AC on Extreme with the typical benchmark settings on 1920x1080. On the plus side, I know that my next machine I build in early 2014 will be able to take full advantage. Any words of advice? I know I'll take a significant framerate hit. I'm wondering if the life of 30fps locked with crazy resolution is better than 60fps at 1080p.

Going from 60 to 30 is definitely something you notice when you are used to 60. I don't think I could do it, even with a higher resolution.

Okay, so here's what I've come up with:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K - £163.94
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - £24.99
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX2 - £69.99
Memory: Samsung Green 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz - £36.62
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB - £179
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two - £46.98
PSU: XFX 550W 80 PLU Bronze - £49.98 (Which I'm not sure about)
Optical drive: LG GH24NS90 - £13.98

I was planning on sorting out storage later in the month (was thinking SSD with an HDD for mass storage), and I need to organise the OS, but that build comes in at £585.48, which I'm pretty happy with.

So GAF, I decided to overclock my 3570K tonight, and was able to get the multipler up to 4.3GHz on stock air (potentially even higher, but I didn't want to mess with it when 4.3GHz is way good enough).

Am I missing anything if I don't adjust the TurboBoost Voltage at all, though from .004V?

I don't really care enough to fine-tune it so I can do a higher multiplier.

mkenyon

Banned
Recording raw footage makes you take a pretty substantial performance hit.
I've been looking at mice lately to go with the new gaming rig I will be building and it's not so cut and dry anymore.

My original gaming mouse was a Razer Boomslang 2000, this was back in '99 or '00. I freaking loved that mouse.

Anyway, I'm looking at something like a G500, G9x, or perhaps a Steel Series ... something. I don't know the differences between those. Maybe a Sensei?

Would someone please make up my mind for me? :D
Sensei. No question.
120hz.
I think I just have expensive taste.

Priced out my case and water setup and it's like...$800. Before the actual computing parts. :-/
Yeah. Watercooling gets expensive very fast.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Interesting! I can find the Samsung RAM elsewhere, so that's fine. I don't have a problem affording the parts, but putting them together. For someone who hasn't put a PC together before, is it going to be relatively straightforward?
Absolutely, there are some build videos in the OP.

Demy

I'm looking to upgrade my pc. Here are my current specs:

Cpu: Intel Q8200 2.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus 2 formula P45
Ram: 4GB ddrs 800
Video Card: Power Cooler HD6750
PSU: 700W bronze certified(Don't remember brand)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P Black 23"
HDD: WD 320GB

I'm looking to spend $400 or less. Here is what I've come up with:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vICQ

I'm looking to use the same video card, monitor and psu. I've looked but can't find any cpu benchs that have tested both the new sandy and ivy bride cpus and my Q8200. I'm hoping the i3-3220 is a nice upgrade to what I currently have.

I mostly watch HD videos, play diablo 3.

Agkel

Ok guys, I normally dont ask for immediate help because... well forums! But I need some quick help on making my final decision, pulling the trigger in an hr or so. Here's my upgrade build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vZ8U

I'm coming from a QX9650 and 2 gtx 260 sli
The parts I already own and dont plan to buy/upgrade are:
Case: Antec 1200
PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w
HDD: Velociraptor 10k
Display: Two Asus 21'' monitors 1900x1200

The only thing Im doubtful on is,
1)if the motherboard is the right choice
2)whichever motherboard I end up buying I need to be sure ram heatsinks clear cpu heatsink

HELP PLS :D :D :D

Whooter

Could someone help me?

My GTX 570 is getting a little long in the tooth. Whens the next wave of GPUs coming out from ATI/Nividia?

I may be wrong, but I think the next wave is due in Q2 2013 (so somewhere between March and June.)

If you need something immediately, you're probably okay getting the current generation. If you're okay with waiting another 3-6 months, wait for the next generation.

mrboo001

Banned
Can someone convince me not to get an Dell U3011 Monitor? It is going for $1100 at a local computer store. That is extremely expensive for a computer monitor but the trough of Civ5 at 2560x1600 is, just, hmmmmmmm.

kharma45

I'm looking to upgrade my pc. Here are my current specs:

Cpu: Intel Q8200 2.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus 2 formula P45
Ram: 4GB ddrs 800
Video Card: Power Cooler HD6750
PSU: 700W bronze certified(Don't remember brand)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P Black 23"
HDD: WD 320GB

I'm looking to spend $400 or less. Here is what I've come up with:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vICQ

I'm looking to use the same video card, monitor and psu. I've looked but can't find any cpu benchs that have tested both the new sandy and ivy bride cpus and my Q8200. I'm hoping the i3-3220 is a nice upgrade to what I currently have.

I mostly watch HD videos, play diablo 3.

Anandbench can compare them http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/52?vs=677

Could someone help me?

I'd just get one now if you feel you need it, new cards will be at least 3-4 months away and don't forget the prices will be close to RRP when they launch rather than the attractive ones that the 7850/70 have now.

Is CoolerMaster CM 690 II Advanced a good ATX?

It is.

Smokey

Can someone convince me not to get an Dell U3011 Monitor? It is going for $1100 at a local computer store. That is extremely expensive for a computer monitor but the trough of Civ5 at 2560x1600 is, just, hmmmmmmm.

You could always look at the Korein 2560x1440/1600 monitors. They are much cheaper and supposedly pretty good.

That said I have the U3011 and it indeed is a great monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom