• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
I've done a bit of peeking around on crossfiring 7970s - what sort of power supply would you need to do something like that? I've seen people say it can be done on 750 watts, others claim 850 or 900. It also seems the second GPU uses less power when crossfired?

My power supply is a 750w Antec High Current Pro.

I'm not really planning on crossfiring one immediately (I haven't even built my PC yet, parts are still on route) but I'm more curious about the option.
They're about 230W if you are talking about the GHz edition, or just pushing a stock one to 1000MHz. So two puts your total GPU consumption at about 460, add in 150ish if you are on a SB/IVB system for everything else. 750W is just fine.
Also, is it true that 1080p/120fps is more taxing on your system than 1440p/60fps?
It depends on the game and card in question, but 1080p @ 120fps is 248,832,000 pixels displayed per second, and 1440p @ 60fps is 221,184,000 pixels displayed per second.
Anyone on monitor suggestions?
Pretty clueless on stuff outside of the Korean IPS and 120hz monitors.

Mononoke

Banned
One question I have is, how important is AA at the higher resolutions?

I have a GTX 680 2gb, and have been very happy with it. But when I jumped to the higher 2560x1440 resolution, I noticed some games don't perform as well with AA on. This hasn't been the case for 99% of the major games that I own (Skyrim maxed out Mods and BF3 run just fine with it) - but Sleeping Dogs for instance, ran like crap for me with AA on Ultra.

I had to turn it to low, and it went from 20fps to 60fps. I personally couldn't tell the difference between AA ultra and AA low at 2560, but maybe I don't have the best eyes. The other question I have, is this a case of the card not having enough memory to handle certain games with AA fully on at this resolution? Or is it just the game itself, and it not being optimized (graphic drivers etc.).

I was considering SLing my GTX 680 with a 2nd 2gb model. But I haven't had any issues with performance, outside of that one game. Although I'm kind of worried about investing in a 2gb SLI. With Max Payne going over 2gb at this resolution, I wonder if that will be the case with a lot of games in the next 2 years. Making me wonder if it's better to just save up, and get two 4gb 680s and Sli.

DJ_Lae

They're about 230W if you are talking about the GHz edition, or just pushing a stock one to 1000MHz. So two puts your total GPU consumption at about 460, add in 150ish if you are on a SB/IVB system for everything else. 750W is just fine.

Huh, that's good to know. I may go that route later on this year if I can nab one cheap, though I also have a feeling the performance increase I'm going to get after I build my PC next week will have me satisfied enough with 'just' a single 7970 (I have an X2-7750 paired with an old 4830 at the moment, so quite a leap).

mkenyon

Banned
Huh, that's good to know. I may go that route later on this year if I can nab one cheap, though I also have a feeling the performance increase I'm going to get after I build my PC next week will have me satisfied enough with 'just' a single 7970 (I have an X2-7750 paired with an old 4830 at the moment, so quite a leap).
The PCI-E bandwidth on your motherboard will really limit any benefits of a second card. Additionally, your processor is going to extremely limit your performance in a number of titles. In some cases, you won't even notice much of an improvement, especially when it comes to latency, or 'stutter'.

You need to upgrade that motherboard/proc before you do anything else.

I have a GTX 680 2gb, and have been very happy with it. But when I jumped to the higher 2560x1440 resolution, I noticed some games don't perform as well with AA on. This hasn't been the case for 99% of the major games that I own (Skyrim maxed out Mods and BF3 run just fine with it) - but Sleeping Dogs for instance, ran like crap for me with AA on Ultra.

I had to turn it to low, and it went from 20fps to 60fps. I personally couldn't tell the difference between AA ultra and AA low at 2560, but maybe I don't have the best eyes. The other question I have, is this a case of the card not having enough memory to handle certain games with AA fully on at this resolution? Or is it just the game itself, and it not being optimized (graphic drivers etc.).

I was considering SLing my GTX 680 with a 2nd 2gb model. But I haven't had any issues with performance, outside of that one game. Although I'm kind of worried about investing in a 2gb SLI. With Max Payne going over 2gb at this resolution, I wonder if that will be the case with a lot of games in the next 2 years. Making me wonder if it's better to just save up, and get two 4gb 680s and Sli.
You answered your own question there.

Yeah, I think 2GB is fairly limiting with 1440P.
Just finished the build on my first gaming PC. I think I am pretty much set but I would like if you guys could give a quick look over as I am not sure if the motherboard is good enough.

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/wHCR
Looks good!

DJ_Lae

The PCI-E bandwidth on your motherboard will really limit any benefits of a second card. Additionally, your processor is going to extremely limit your performance in a number of titles. In some cases, you won't even notice much of an improvement, especially when it comes to latency, or 'stutter'

Oh I'm completely rebuilding, the old one's going to be a home server. I wouldn't even bother trying the 7970 in that old thing, it would be sad.

New one will be a 3570K with an AS Rock Z77 Extreme 4.

Mononoke

Banned
The PCI-E bandwidth on your motherboard will really limit any benefits of a second card. Additionally, your processor is going to extremely limit your performance in a number of titles. In some cases, you won't even notice much of an improvement, especially when it comes to latency, or 'stutter'.

You answered your own question there.

Yeah, I think 2GB is fairly limiting with 1440P.

Thanks for the input. Since I'm satisfied now, I'll just wait a year or so and upgrade when I feel it needs it. Next time I won't invest in 2gb, as I plan to continue gaming at the higher resolutions.

Smokey

Alot of people say you don't need AA at 2560 but I disagree. The difference is noticeable to me. I went from 4xAA ->2xaa->no AA a few days ago in BF3 and the difference was apparent to me :shrug

I had a 690 at 2560...felt limited by the 2GB of VRAM. Back on 3GB 580 SLI and feel more comfortable..

Hey guys I got a question regarding 3way sli and if its possible for me to do it. I have a MSI z77a gd55 motherboard, it has 2 pcie 3.0s and one pcie 2.0. I have 2 670s currently and I'm curious to know if I could add another 670 onto the pcie 2.0

SoulClap

I'm deciding between these three power supplies for a work/backup gaming build. The quieter the better. Any recommendations?

Antec BP550 - 69.99
Seasonic M12II 620 - 79.99
Seasonic G Series (SSR-550RM) - 99.99

So right on time my laptop went kaput. Took the HDD out just a minute ago and it's a Toshiba 2555gsx. The datasheet I've linked says it's SATA (I think it's 2.6 from doing a bit of nosing), so can I plug it into my upcoming PC so long as I have the right cable? I'm planning on using an SSD for my boot drive, so will having Windows 7 on the Toshiba cause any problems?

If that's not the case, I do have the means to transfer the stuff that I do want to keep. It's fairly straightforward to transfer the data I do want to keep to another HDD, right?

kharma45

I'm deciding between these three power supplies for a work/backup gaming build. The quieter the better. Any recommendations?

Antec BP550 - 69.99
Seasonic M12II 620 - 79.99
Seasonic G Series (SSR-550RM) - 99.99

G Series is the quietest afaik out of those, X is quieter again but costs more obviously.

mkenyon

Banned
So right on time my laptop went kaput. Took the HDD out just a minute ago and it's a Toshiba 2555gsx. The datasheet I've linked says it's SATA (I think it's 2.6 from doing a bit of nosing), so can I plug it into my upcoming PC so long as I have the right cable? I'm planning on using an SSD for my boot drive, so will having Windows 7 on the Toshiba cause any problems?

If that's not the case, I do have the means to transfer the stuff that I do want to keep. It's fairly straightforward to transfer the data I do want to keep to another HDD, right?
It'll be totally fine. Windows 7 will show as a regular folder as long as it is not the boot drive.
Hey guys I got a question regarding 3way sli and if its possible for me to do it. I have a MSI z77a gd55 motherboard, it has 2 pcie 3.0s and one pcie 2.0. I have 2 670s currently and I'm curious to know if I could add another 670 onto the pcie 2.0
The PCI-E 2.0 is limited to x2 bandwidth when either of the PCI-E 3.0 slots are occuiped. So, definitely not. I mean, it would work, you would just get severely limited performance out of it.

centracore

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.90 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.79 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($247.48 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer ($17.06 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $968.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-09 16:04 EST-0500)

Is 500W enough of a power supply for this build? I originally had a 550W power supply picked out but it ended up being back ordered and would've delayed everything.

the_standard

Neo Member
I recently upgraded my system from 4 to 16 gigs of ram, (mostly for work) anyway I am running win 7 64 bit and Athlon X2 3.1ghx proc. Video card is old RADEON HD 4670. I was wondering where I might see improvements from the ram upgrade if at all? Types of settings I should change in my games? thanks for any help you can give.

mkenyon

Banned
It's unlikely it will offer any performance boost unless you've gone over 4GB of RAM in normal usage. That would be like 10+ tabs in chrome, mumble, steam, a few steam chats, a game, some extra stuff.

RAM amount only affects performance when you run out.

I picked up the (Gigabyte) GTX 680, which apparently has audio out via the HDMI... but I'm having trouble determining if I can just plug it into an HDMI receiver and get audio along with my video.

So, my questions are:
- Can I use HDMI for audio with my GTX 680?
- Is there anything 'tricky' about hooking a PC up to a receiver via HDMI?
- Can anyone recommend a good HDMI "gaming" receiver? I've heard they shouldn't introduce latency, but after a bad experience with my old Pioneer I'm pretty hesitant.

Mr. Holzman's video guide saved me.
How foolish of me, the video link in the OP wasn't working so I didn't bother searching for it, but it was the most helpful out of all of them.

scogoth

I picked up the (Gigabyte) GTX 680, which apparently has audio out via the HDMI... but I'm having trouble determining if I can just plug it into an HDMI receiver and get audio along with my video.

So, my questions are:
- Can anyone recommend a good HDMI "gaming" receiver? I've heard they shouldn't introduce latency, but after a bad experience with my old Pioneer I'm pretty hesitant.

yes. no. no receiver is really designed for "gaming" just plug it into the TV direct if you are really concerned

the_standard

Neo Member
It's unlikely it will offer any performance boost unless you've gone over 4GB of RAM in normal usage. That would be like 10+ tabs in chrome, mumble, steam, a few steam chats, a game, some extra stuff.

RAM amount only affects performance when you run out.

Oh ok! so I can multi task some more now.

Thanks!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

So, my questions are:

As long as you configure your audio out in the tasktbar audio icon on the lower right of your desktop to your HDMI out/TV then you're set. I alternate between my TV out and Asus Xonar DG out for my 5.1 heaphones.

garath

got my new sensei RAW today. I have no idea what was up with the installation of that steelseries engine but I lost all input to my computer (keyboard AND mouse) and had to hard reset 3x before it finally installed and loaded properly.

not sure if it's buggy or something else was up. Thought maybe I was installed the wrong version but that was all they had. Either way, it's working now.. fingers crossed. Trying a couple games.

wheel is very clicky comared to the mx518

mkenyon

Banned
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Totally unsure. I'd either post or do some searches on AVS forums.
got my new sensei RAW today. I have no idea what was up with the installation of that steelseries engine but I lost all input to my computer (keyboard AND mouse) and had to hard reset 3x before it finally installed and loaded properly.

not sure if it's buggy or something else was up. Thought maybe I was installed the wrong version but that was all they had. Either way, it's working now.. fingers crossed. Trying a couple games.

wheel is very clicky comared to the mx518
Be sure to open that up and customize your CPI settings to best suit your style of mouse use.

Hey mkenyon, was there a reason you didn't turn your bottom drive cage?
Won't it give you a little bit better airflow of that front intake?

nDECz.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Hey mkenyon, was there a reason you didn't turn your bottom drive cage?
Won't it give you a little bit better airflow of that front intake?
It's riveted in, so you can't move it. Unless I'm crazy. But even if I could, I would keep it the way it is to conceal the cables to the HDDs/SSD.

It's riveted in, so you can't move it. Unless I'm crazy. But even if I could, I would keep it the way it is to conceal the cables to the HDDs/SSD.

Yeah, I just tried moving it around, it's a real pain. the little side-arm that is attached to the front side of the case is quite inconvenient to modify.

Look at that goodness.

That's the Sabertooth MB?

LOL that's mkenyon's sweet build.

mine's still unfinished from before :(

i was about to order a sabertooth mobo, an intel i5 and a 750w corsair

but then i heard about plans of a 'steam box'

if this thing can be customized and sells for $400-600 then wouldn't this be a much more suitable option for people than building their own rigs for a bit more?

i hear that thing is rumored to have core i7 cpu, 8gb ram and nvidia gpu which is wow

mkenyon

Banned
Look at that goodness.

That's the Sabertooth MB?
Yap.
Yeah, I just tried moving it around, it's a real pain. the little side-arm that is attached to the front side of the case is quite inconvenient to modify.

LOL that's mkenyon's sweet build.

mine's still unfinished from before :(
Sold it to Nekura about a month ago though. Replaced it with a test bench that is currently living in a BitFenix Ghost while I wait for my custom bench chassis to be built.

garath

Be sure to open that up and customize your CPI settings to best suit your style of mouse use.

Having trouble finding a happy sensitivity lol. Going to take some getting used to. I've used the same mouse for the last 5 years.

I do like it though. The size is great, the rubber grip is perfect. It's very responsive and the clicks feel good.

That steelseries engine is a hog though. almost 80 megs and eats upwards of 10% cpu when tracking very quickly at the 1000mhz polling rate.

tafer

Yap.

Sold it to Nekura about a month ago though. Replaced it with a test bench that is currently living in a BitFenix Ghost while I wait for my custom bench chassis to be built.
How you guys managed to keep it so tidy... mine, with space and everything is a mess!

Layd Dly

My most recent incarnation of my Gaming HTPC (aka my SteamBox). It pretty much consists of everything handed down from my old Gaming Rig just stuffed into a pretty Silverstone HTPC Case. It is pretty much always under construction but i think this will be here to stay for a bit. The only dedicated brand new part is the MSI Twin FrozrIII 7950 3gb since its main purpose is gaming on 120" Screen in my Home Theater. After adding the 7950 I am now debating on a Lian-Li case for better cooling but overall I am very pleased with my results since I only need 1080p.

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.0GHZ
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
RAM: A-Data 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400
RAM: PNY Memory Master 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400
Power Supply: Antec's TruePower Quattro TPQ-850 850W
Cooling: ThermalTake Big Typhoon (Lapped + AS5 w\ CM 120mm Fan)
Graphics: MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC 3GB
Hard Drive: Seagate 250gb x2
Case: Silverstone LC17
Keyboard: Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 v2.0
Mouse: Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
Monitor: Optoma HD20 1080P Projector (120" Screen)

8366718012_74077d9db6_b.jpg

8365646877_09a30d7976_b.jpg

8316891214_7cd23a5bde_b.jpg

8315830587_caa40af849_b.jpg

8316895194_6dcf64892b_b.jpg

Got my Roccat Koza + today and I really like the shape and weight. The only thing I'm not liking is the middle mouse button. It's too stiff. I really need to start using space for jump instead of middle mouse button because I can't find a mouse that does everything I want. I'm going to stick with it though because it's very comfortable for my grip.

Mononoke

Banned
I plan on upgrading my system with these parts:

k8uru.png

I know it's probably overkill, but I plan on upgrading my system later down the road for higher resolutions than 2560x1440.

Any suggestions? I can already tell the Corsair Ram is probably overpriced. I think I've seen that most Gaffers use Samsung. But besides that, any other models that you would recommend over what I have here?

DJ_Lae

I just paid $80 for 16GB of low profile Corsair Vengeance memory...then again, getting the Samsung stuff here in Canada can be ridiculous (Newegg.ca charges $30 per 4GB stick).

Now the wait. Video card's coming from TigerDirect, CPU and hard drive from Amazon, and the rest from NCIX. I expect NCIX will be the weak link in terms of delivery times, their order processing frequently takes a while.

garath

I plan on upgrading my system with these parts:

k8uru.png

I know it's probably overkill, but I plan on upgrading my system later down the road for higher resolutions than 2560x1440.

Any suggestions? I can already tell the Corsair Ram is probably overpriced. I think I've seen that most Gaffers use Samsung. But besides that, any other models that you would recommend over what I have here?

I would recommend the low profile corsair vengeance just in case. Depending on the layout of your mobo, it could get in the way of the fan on the CPU cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom