• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know if you need to water cool your cpu? Is it only for overclocking?

I was looking at building a machine based around the i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz and a GTX 670 card in a Corsair 400R case.

A good air cooler will take you a long way when overclocking. Don't worry about water cooling if it isn't something you want to deal with.

timnich

Finally got windows to boot. Turns out the boot sector of my SSD (and somehow, every other HDD I own) was messed up or corrupted. Fixing involved going into the repair disk and loading bootsect.exe. So simple compared to all the stuff I went through, but I guess that's the learning process. At least now I am a pro at assembling and disassembling PCs, applying thermal paste, etc.

Thanks to everyone that took time to try and help me. I dont think I would have been able to pinpoint the problem without you guys.

scogoth

How do you know if you need to water cool your cpu? Is it only for overclocking?

I was looking at building a machine based around the i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz and a GTX 670 card in a Corsair 400R case.

I know that feeling. I have around 30 Steam games, and have never owned a pc that could run any of them. :)

Air is more than adequate for ivy bridge. Ivy bridge has a relatively large gap of thermal material between the chip and heat spreader meaning it hits a "heat wall" that no amount of cooling will help. It's very easy to get 4.5Ghz out of ivy bridge before hitting this heat wall on air and after that even water cooling wont disappate the heat well enough. Only point to water cooling is if you de-lid the CPU which is very difficult and wayyyy outside the scope of most builders.

Since you guys are probably pretty familiar with intel release cycles, can we expect Haswell sooner in 2013 rather than later?

June for desktops is the rumoured date currently.

A good air cooler will take you a long way when overclocking. Don't worry about water cooling if it isn't something you want to deal with.

Cool. This is all new to me. I am upgrading from Celeron 900 machine so I am really excited to finally be building a machine that can actualy do stuff. :)

Air is more than adequate for ivy bridge. Ivy bridge has a relatively large gap of thermal material between the chip and heat spreader meaning it hits a "heat wall" that no amount of cooling will help. It's very easy to get 4.5Ghz out of ivy bridge before hitting this heat wall on air and after that even water cooling wont disappate the heat well enough. Only point to water cooling is if you de-lid the CPU which is very difficult and wayyyy outside the scope of most builders.

June for desktops is the rumoured date currently.

In terms of gaming, what does overclocking to 4.5Ghz do for me? Are the results that noticeable?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I lurk in here everyday, but can't ever bring myself to post because I am typing from a 2010 iMac that I can't bring myself to sell. ;_;

I just want to play current gen games at high specs!

I lurk in here everyday, but can't ever bring myself to post because I am typing from a 2010 iMac that I can't bring myself to sell. ;_;

Don't feel bad, my 2009 celeron based Walmart laptop isn't anything to get excited about either. :)

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Don't feel bad, my 2009 celeron based Walmart laptop isn't anything to get excited about either. :)

I feel like I am in some form of prison, that I desperately plead Gaf to break me out of.

Every time I am on the verge to sell this on craigslist, I think of the pretty screen...the smooth interface, and and I step away from the bars of my cell and lay back down in my prison bed.

CatPee

I feel like I am in some form of prison, that I desperately plead Gaf to break me out of.

Every time I am on the verge to sell this on craigslist, I think of the pretty screen...the smooth interface, and and I step away from the bars of my cell and lay back down in my prison bed.

Once you put together your PC you'll get super pretty graphics and smooth control of games and their interfaces. ;)

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I think I am not using Newegg correctly...I can't even find the individual parts in this to price them.

3.06 Ghz Intel Core i3
4GB 1333 MHz RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

mkenyon

Banned
Would an air cooler help with my sound problem?
Get a Coolermaster Hyper 212.

Just do it. Dual boot into OSX if you want. www.tonymacx86.com

Then get a Crossover 27Q or whatever other Korean IPS you want. It's the same panel as the ACD for $300.
I think I am not using Newegg correctly...I can't even find the individual parts in this to price them.

3.06 Ghz Intel Core i3
4GB 1333 MHz RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB
The Enhanced build would smoke that.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I have this whole minimalism thing going on lately, so I would have to buy a fractal case.

I just don't know. I love gaming and performance so much, and hate console gaming with a passion that is both legendary and poetic.

I am glad you mentioned that IPS screen. The screen on my iMac is my favorite thing about it.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Should I wait for the 2013 thread, or are those recommending specs not changing?

Also, would I have a problem fitting this stuff into a fractal r4?

Salsa

PSU making annoying clicking noise out of the blue

fans? never opened a PSU before. Going away on a 5 day vacation tomorrow but i'll open it up when I get back, not sure what to expect

SimonM7

Quick question. I just bought an SSD and installed it in a setup where there's already an older, mechanical disk. I can only use one setting across all my SATA ports, so I'm just wondering if setting them to AHCI will have any negative impact on the mechanical disk?

Jburton

Banned
Quick question. I just bought an SSD and installed it in a setup where there's already an older, mechanical disk. I can only use one setting across all my SATA ports, so I'm just wondering if setting them to AHCI will have any negative impact on the mechanical disk?

All I can tell you is when I switched to AHCI mode when I installed my SSD a couple of weeks ago it corrupted my Windows install (Win8) ...... repair would not even fix it, I had to fresh install.

Physically your other disk will be fine.

Vortex566

I've currently got a 460 GTX and can run Farcry 3 on ultra at 720p. I've got a second generation i3 and 4GB RAM. I'm going to upgrade to 8GB, but wanted to also change my graphics card.

How much of a boost would a Radeon HD 7950 Double D give? Would I be able to do 1080p on high/ultra, or would I need a better CPU?

xero273

So from what I'm reading for samsung ssd... i should go for the 840 pro or 830. or is the regular 840 better than the 830? All i know from reading that the 840 uses TLC nand and the other 2 use MLC.

Quick q, going with a one card set-up, gtx 670 or 680 (m-itx set-up so no option for SLI), would it be worth grabbing a 2560 x 1440 monitor and trying to run stuff at that res, or better off going with a 1920 x 1080. It seemed until FC3 I'd be fine grabbing a 27" monitor, but if FC3 levels of brutality on cards is going to be the norm with new games like Bioshock, Crysis 3 etc til Maxwell, I'd probably be stuck on 1080p if I want to stick to higher settings. Just don't want to spend on that monitor for nothing.

Basically, is a one card 2560 x 1440 set-up viable right now or a waste? Cheers!

I really need to build a new PC. It will most likely be gaming dedicated, and I'll use my Mac for any dev work I have.

No idea where to start tho. Also no idea how much I want to spend :/ ....this should be fun.

garath

I really need to build a new PC. It will most likely be gaming dedicated, and I'll use my Mac for any dev work I have.

No idea where to start tho. Also no idea how much I want to spend :/ ....this should be fun.

The OP is a great place to start. Lots of great info there along with some viable builds at different price ranges.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm kind of excited. I wanted to wait for the Steam Box...
Nah, go for it. Steam box won't be aimed at performance folks.

If you do end up grabbing the 27Q IPS, I'd really suggest a 7950 if you can squeeze it into the budget. Otherwise the 7850/7870 will suffice.

kharma45

Nah, go for it. Steam box won't be aimed at performance folks.

If you do end up grabbing the 27Q IPS, I'd really suggest a 7950 if you can squeeze it into the budget. Otherwise the 7850/7870 will suffice.

Is the Tahiti LE 7870s available in the US? High power consumption but you're getting almost 7950 performance for 7870 prices.

mkenyon

Banned
Is the Tahiti LE 7870s available in the US? High power consumption but you're getting almost 7950 performance for 7870 prices.
They have the same memory and bandwidth? That's why I was suggesting the 7950. That 3GB will come in handy at 1440p over the next few years.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Didn't want to make a new thread for this.

I have a 2012 Macbook air and a Dell work PC that I want to get a second monitor for to use at home. I don't want to pay a ton, but I want something that's a solid monitor. I don't plan to play a ton of games on it, but might play some.

What do you guys suggest?

Leckan

A couple of questions regarding monitors.

1. IPS or 120hz TN if you do more browsing than gaming.

2. How much does 120hz matter outside of gaming.

3. How much difference does 120 hz make below 120 fps or even 60 fps like 30?

4. How long til' we get both together so we don't have to make these damn choices?

Ty4on

They have the same memory and bandwidth? That's why I was suggesting the 7950. That 3GB will come in handy at 1440p over the next few years.

It has more memory bandwith than the 7870 (still 256bit) and a similar core to the 7950 clocked at 975Mhz.
perfrel.gif
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Club_3D/HD_7870_jokerCard_Tahiti_LE/1.html

brentech

Built back in 2009:

.: ASUS P5QL/EPU LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

.: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core

.: EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

.: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply

.: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

-----------------------------
Not real familiar with today's stuff. Feel like biggest issue might be video card (maybe MB has to go as well - or everything). Any particular suggestions in any category? I've never been one to buy the latest and greatest, but still good parts.

mkenyon

Banned
A couple of questions regarding monitors.

1. IPS or 120hz TN if you do more browsing than gaming.

2. How much does 120hz matter outside of gaming.

3. How much difference does 120 hz make below 120 fps or even 60 fps like 30?

4. How long til' we get both together so we don't have to make these damn choices?
1. IPS

2. It still makes everything smoother. I prefer it over IPS still just because I really dislike the stutter I get on 60hz now.

3. It doesn't. Subjectively, I think it starts to lose its magic at 90 fps. But keep in mind I can't stand playing at 60hz/fps now.

4. I don't know, but it is really fucking annoying.
Built back in 2009:

.: ASUS P5QL/EPU LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

.: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core

.: EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

.: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply

.: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

-----------------------------
Not real familiar with today's stuff. Feel like biggest issue might be video card (maybe MB has to go as well - or everything). Any particular suggestions in any category? I've never been one to buy the latest and greatest, but still good parts.
You'll need a full refresh for that. Pick a price point in the OP and just go for it. Pretty much everything there is an upgrade.

mkenyon

Banned
Doesn't it help with tearing?
I've never been sensitive to tearing, probably because I've always tried to max frame rate for the low latency.

I think Borderlands might be the only game where it actually bugged me. Though I haven't gone back to it, I have played Borderlands 2 with very high settings where the 99% was probably in the 10ms range, and I did not notice any tearing.

DJ_Lae

I've done a bit of peeking around on crossfiring 7970s - what sort of power supply would you need to do something like that? I've seen people say it can be done on 750 watts, others claim 850 or 900. It also seems the second GPU uses less power when crossfired?

My power supply is a 750w Antec High Current Pro.

I'm not really planning on crossfiring one immediately (I haven't even built my PC yet, parts are still on route) but I'm more curious about the option.

Mononoke

Banned
Alright, think I'm going to pull the trigger and try that 21:9 monitor.

I'll let you guys know how it goes, and even post pics (if anyone is interested). After reading around a lot, I really feel like I should know better and NOT do this (seeing as most gamers seem to hate the resolution - specifically vertically) - but I have a month of vacation time, some money to spend, and I'm a terrible person.

Mononoke

Banned
Quick q, going with a one card set-up, gtx 670 or 680 (m-itx set-up so no option for SLI), would it be worth grabbing a 2560 x 1440 monitor and trying to run stuff at that res, or better off going with a 1920 x 1080. It seemed until FC3 I'd be fine grabbing a 27" monitor, but if FC3 levels of brutality on cards is going to be the norm with new games like Bioshock, Crysis 3 etc til Maxwell, I'd probably be stuck on 1080p if I want to stick to higher settings. Just don't want to spend on that monitor for nothing.

Basically, is a one card 2560 x 1440 set-up viable right now or a waste? Cheers!

I'm currently on a 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor, and I'm able to play most of my games well over 60-70fps using a GTX-680 2gb (single card). EDIT: I should say, I'm using an OC edition.

Unless you get a korean model that can overclock, almost all major retailers only sell 27-30 inch IP monitors at 60hz. But that's just my experience. I'm sure at the bigger resolutions, SLIng your card, will yield a better performance. But I'm happy with this setup. Only reason I'm thinking of going with a different monitor, is my current one is straining my eyes. I think it's more of an issue of the screen being too big (in the amount of space I have in my room).

Double edit: I'm not an expert on 60hz vs 120hz. Wasn't suggesting that. Was just letting you know that, most major retailers only sell IPS 2560x1440 monitors at 60hz. And that, GTX680 2gb hits 60-70fps on almost all games at this resolution. :)

I'm currently on a 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor, and I'm able to play most of my games well over 60-70fps using a GTX-680 2gb (single card). EDIT: I should say, I'm using an OC edition.

Cheers, thanks very much for that. This is exactly what I'm going to go for, but I figured it was worth checking, I'd be miserable if I shelled out for the 27" then had to upscale my games or something horrible like that because I overestimated how good a single card would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom