• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The upcoming 7xx and 8xxx cards are refreshes on the same architecture, so I don't expect some huge change in terms of performance.
I'm considering going from my Athlon X3 mobo/processor to a 3570K set up. I have a 5850 in my machine now. I'm considering just buying another one of those and doing Crossfire instead of dropping $300 on a newer card, especially since I'd be gaming at 1080P max. I assume the mobo/processor should still be okay if I wait for that next card architecture in 2014 or whatever?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
LOL just after reading this, I gained the courage to push hard. Went it all right.

;)

Success! Continued luck putting it all together. I love the anxiousness and excitement of putting a PC together. I will be experiencing this again next month with my new high end Ivy Bridge build.

Success! Continued luck putting it all together. I love the anxiousness and excitement of putting a PC together. I will be experiencing this again next month with my new high end Ivy Bridge build.

Thanks! Hahaha! ezpz! ha..ha.. what to do now... (lol)

putting on my CM 212+ now.
thought so far: thermal paste hurts.

timnich

So I'm guessing my hard drive is the problem here. How do I check it for problems? Hook it up to another PC? Is there a program that can check and repair drives?
I really hate to keep posting about my problems here, but I've spent so much time on this, I just want to fix it and get back to playing games.

I've ruled out the possibility of this being a hardware issue. Every piece of my computer has been tested or replaced. I think there is something wrong with the way my boot disk is formatted. When installing windows I formatted the drive, but I noticed that there were two partitions. Could this be causing an issue? I'm really banging my head against a wall with this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

kharma45

I'm considering going from my Athlon X3 mobo/processor to a 3570K set up. I have a 5850 in my machine now. I'm considering just buying another one of those and doing Crossfire instead of dropping $300 on a newer card, especially since I'd be gaming at 1080P max. I assume the mobo/processor should still be okay if I wait for that next card architecture in 2014 or whatever?

How much VRAM does your 5850 have?

mkenyon

Banned
I really hate to keep posting about my problems here, but I've spent so much time on this, I just want to fix it and get back to playing games.

I've ruled out the possibility of this being a hardware issue. Every piece of my computer has been tested or replaced. I think there is something wrong with the way my boot disk is formatted. When installing windows I formatted the drive, but I noticed that there were two partitions. Could this be causing an issue? I'm really banging my head against a wall with this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have any extra HDDs laying around, even external, that you could try installing windows on?

Is this a HDD, SSD?
Troll mode: Initiated
Troll mode: Success

go me lol
smh

RS4-

Why would you hide such a beauty under your desk? Gotta display all that bling!
---------------------------------------------------------

Two new ASUS Displays

2560x1080p IPS and new 24" 144hz TN

This is bringing the whole large res vs. high refresh debate to a head. Why can't these be the same display!?

I wonder how much the stupid bang and olufsen speakers are adding to that price.

And yeah, I like the 900d. I want it.

timnich

Do you have any extra HDDs laying around, even external, that you could try installing windows on?

Is this a HDD, SSD?

smh
I have an extra internal drive, however I've run into the same issue with it. One drive is a ssd, the other hdd. I also have an external drive. How do I install to an external, just like an internal?

mkenyon

Banned
I have an extra internal drive, however I've run into the same issue with it. One drive is a ssd, the other hdd. I also have an external drive. How do I install to an external, just like an internal?
If you are attempting to install to SSD, couple things

1) Have you put your SATA devices into AHCI via BIOS?
2) Have you ensured that your SSD is indeed the #1 boot device after installing windows?
3) Have you made sure that the device is fully formatted prior to installation?
4) Can you try a Win 7 installation for shits n giggles? Takes about 8 minutes.

Link to win 7 ISO here - http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso

Link to Windows USB tool - http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

timnich

If you are attempting to install to SSD, couple things

1) Have you put your SATA devices into AHCI via BIOS?
2) Have you ensured that your SSD is indeed the #1 boot device after installing windows?
3) Have you made sure that the device is fully formatted prior to installation?
4) Can you try a Win 7 installation for shits n giggles? Takes about 8 minutes.

Link to win 7 ISO here - http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso

Link to Windows USB tool - http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool
1) hmm nope, not sure how to do that. I have an asus motherboard, if that helps
2)yes
3) I've formatted it via the windows installation disk, not sure if that counts as a full format
4) I've been installing windows 7 the whole time

Thanks for the help btw. I'm so lost at this point.

sixghost

Regarding that console rumor thread: if the new consoles have more cores or threads than the 4/4 in my 2500k, would that mean I might have trouble running ports next gen since they'll be created with more threads in mind? That thread is starting to make me worry that I built a PC 6 or 7 months too early. The rest of my system is a 7870 and 8gb of ram.

mkenyon

Banned
1) hmm nope, not sure how to do that. I have an asus motherboard, if that helps
2)yes
3) I've formatted it via the windows installation disk, not sure if that counts as a full format
4) I've been installing windows 7 the whole time

Thanks for the help btw. I'm so lost at this point.
Go into BIOS and look for your SATA settings. Make sure the type is listed as AHCI rather than IDE.

Out of curiosity, what kind of ASUS motherboard is this?
Regarding that console rumor thread: if the new consoles have more cores or threads than the 4/4 in my 2500k, would that mean I might have trouble running ports next gen since they'll be created with more threads in mind? That thread is starting to make me worry that I built a PC 6 or 7 months too early. The rest of my system is a 7870 and 8gb of ram.
My best guess - I don't think so. Long story short, the only data we have to go on regarding n-threaded (meaning it uses however many cores it can) games is that CPU is never a bottleneck. CPU bottlenecks are most rampant in single and dual threaded games. i5's still have so much overhead that isn't being used.

*edit*

Furthermore, the CPUs that are going to be in the consoles will have much worse per thread performance than desktop i5s.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Don't be silly.

Got a question, apologies if it's noobish.

If I have windows 8 installed to a SSD, is it possible to have steam and origin installed to my traditional hdd?.

2San

Got a question, apologies if it's noobish.

If I have windows 8 installed to a SSD, is it possible to have steam and origin installed to my traditional hdd?.
Yes and steam even recently added to option to pick and choose where you install games(which was long overdue). Dunno about origin.

Meatfist

ugh, I'm planning on buying a new PC in a couple weeks and it seems like every single day I check my Amazon cart something has increased in price. Fuck.

timnich

Go into BIOS and look for your SATA settings. Make sure the type is listed as AHCI rather than IDE.

Out of curiosity, what kind of ASUS motherboard is this?

My best guess - I don't think so. Long story short, the only data we have to go on regarding n-threaded (meaning it uses however many cores it can) games is that CPU is never a bottleneck. CPU bottlenecks are most rampant in single and dual threaded games. i5's still have so much overhead that isn't being used.

*edit*

Furthermore, the CPUs that are going to be in the consoles will have much worse per thread performance than desktop i5s.
Ok I'll try that. Also it's a pz77 v lk. I like it except for the fact that I haven't been able to boot windows sin e I got it haha:(.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Anybody know anything about the Vector OCZ SSDs? Thinking about getting one. Really need to update my main drive thanks to Steam and it's big file sizes.

sixghost

*edit*

Don't be silly.

Alright, that's what I was hoping.

mkenyon

Banned
Anybody know anything about the Vector OCZ SSDs? Thinking about getting one. Really need to update my main drive thanks to Steam and it's big file sizes.
They are supposed to be pretty damn good. Though, I'd say to save a bit and grab a Crucial M4 on sale. Faster SSDs have almost zero benefits outside of specific enterprise applications.

Does anyone else have problems with connecting a controller wirelessly to a PC from outside the room where the PC is kept? I bought a knockoff wireless adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NIQ9AW/?tag=neogaf0e-20) that reportedly has a 30 foot range, but my 360 controller always loses sync when I don't have line-of-sight, even if I'm well within 30 feet. Does the adapter that comes with the official Microsoft wireless controller for Windows have this problem too?

Hawk269

I just watched that 900d video again at home after watching it on my phone at work.

omg

$350 huh...will wait on reviews but this case seems to let you do whatever you want. Might have to pencil this in for my machine refresh (depending on reviews again)

A H100 would look so good in there :p

Enough with the self contained units Smokey. Time to get really wet my friend! Full on Water Baby! I love my set up with the GPU and CPU being cooled by Water and no issues whatsoever! Of course it could have NOT been done without Mkenyon's help! It does get a little pricey, but worth it in the end!

Hawk269

Detailed consulting is free!

It's fun spending other people's money :p

Those are a total bitch, just need to push harder.

LMAO! Yeah, you spent a lot of my money when I went to full on water! :)

But worth it! I figure you consulting amounted to a few hundred bucks that you did for free! So anyone going water, listen to Mkenyon! hehehe

Found out I was HUGELY unprepared for this haha.
I'd be surprised if I didn't damage my motherboard already.
So many facepalm moments today.
To be honest, all these connectors are still confusing me. not even sure if I can manage by myself. May have to call a friend over.

I will carry on tomorrow.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

May be relevant, but I had trouble getting my optical drive appearing, because I plugged it into a sata 3 port, and not a sata 3. Might try plugging your drive into a sata 2 port if it's not appearing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Found out I was HUGELY unprepared for this haha.
I'd be surprised if I didn't damage my motherboard already.
So many facepalm moments today.
To be honest, all these connectors are still confusing me. not even sure if I can manage by myself. May have to call a friend over.

I will carry on tomorrow.
Video guides in OP.
Manuals are made for a reason.

TheBear

I was initially going to buy a new rig for my living room, but I figure I will wait for the next-gen stuff to come out and my current rig does an ok job of playing games. However it sounds like a fighter jet and for HTPC duties isn't really ideal. What can i do to keep it quiet? here's my specs:

AMD 955 Phenom
4GB ram
GTX 560Ti
Gigabyte MA790Gp Motherboard
Seasonic M12 80plus 500Watt. PSU
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Coolermaster Elite RC-334 (not sure but it looks like this)

Would a new case help? Or just some more fans?

Thanks for the help guys!

Mononoke

Banned
I've already built my PC setup. However, I'm kind of struggling with my monitor.

I currently have a 2560x1440 IPS 27 inch monitor. The exact model is the Asus P2B78q. My old monitor was some crappy HP 27 inch TN monitor, that was 1080p.

IMO the upgrade was worth it, because the resolution jump was very noticeable. However, for some reason this monitor is giving me headaches. Specifically, it's doing a bit of a number on my eyes. I'm not sure why, seeing as my old monitor was worse in specs. So I know it's not ghosting or flickering causing it. IPS are also supposed to have better color/ and overall uniformity.

I'm still within my 30 day Amazon return period, and was highly considering trying out that new Dell 29 inch 2560x1080p. monitor ( U2913WM). The only reason I'm considering is, lately I've noticed that given the space in my room (my desk against the wall, and how far my chair can go out) - the screen is way too big vertically. My eyes rarely look up or down, and I think that's what is causing me headaches. I think the widescreen format, would work better given my space, and I would much more appreciate the horizontal sides than the vertical.

Here is my questions though:

2560x1080 seems like a very odd resolution. I'm guessing the monitor was made for Photo editing, and watching movies. Do most games even support 2560x1080?

Anyone on Gaf have this? Impressions?

Or is this monitor just considered a joke. Maybe I just need to go on over to the 120hz monitor side.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
They are supposed to be pretty damn good. Though, I'd say to save a bit and grab a Crucial M4 on sale. Faster SSDs have almost zero benefits outside of specific enterprise applications.

The PC I'm using it in will particular be for streaming and multimedia stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
First rule of PC building, RTFM.

I made this mistake my first build, watched videos, thought I knew how it worked. Hours of frustration. Take 5 minutes on the manual, and thing turns right on. Having just finished my third build I still use it. Shows you where everything is (useful since they stick fan plug ins all over the place), tells you what ram slots to use for best performance, and just tells you what you need to know.

RTFM people!

mkenyon

Banned
Maybe I just need to go on over to the 120hz monitor side.
Correct.
I was initially going to buy a new rig for my living room, but I figure I will wait for the next-gen stuff to come out and my current rig does an ok job of playing games. However it sounds like a fighter jet and for HTPC duties isn't really ideal. What can i do to keep it quiet? here's my specs:

AMD 955 Phenom
4GB ram
GTX 560Ti
Gigabyte MA790Gp Motherboard
Seasonic M12 80plus 500Watt. PSU
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Coolermaster Elite RC-334 (not sure but it looks like this)

Would a new case help? Or just some more fans?

Thanks for the help guys!
New heatsink, new case if you want. *edit* A NEW case would certainly be fine as a good one should last 3ish builds.
The PC I'm using it in will particular be for streaming and multimedia stuff.
Streaming as in, streaming your gameplay? If yes, then get a capture card. Black Magic Intensity Pro is the one I recommend.

First rule of PC building, RTFM.

I will rtfm... tomorrow when my mind is fresh again.

This will give you an idea of my wrestle with my motherboard.

Some of my blunders today (3~4 hours? LOL):
  • Not sure if my processor went in right (pins made scratchy noise when pressing down)
  • Put too much thermal paste on my CPU
  • Tried to put heatsink on without back bracket in place (LOL)
  • Took it off again, pressed it back on but I'm not sure if the CPU is even alligned to it.
  • Tried to put motherboard on without standoffs in place
  • Bent I/O shield metal so it wouldn't go in; spent an hour screwing on motherboard because of it.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will read the effin manual.

Smokey

Enough with the self contained units Smokey. Time to get really wet my friend! Full on Water Baby! I love my set up with the GPU and CPU being cooled by Water and no issues whatsoever! Of course it could have NOT been done without Mkenyon's help! It does get a little pricey, but worth it in the end!

I really like that 900D. The FT02 was good but not for the cards that I have due to the heat pipes. The 500r is great, but everything is fairly cramped. True WC would be very tough in here especially for someone who has never done it. Not the best airflow either. So my next case I want it to be as flexible as possible which the 900D is. Pending reviews of course.

• Not sure if my processor went in right (pins made scratchy noise when pressing down)
  • Took it off again, pressed it back on but I'm not sure if the CPU is even alligned to it.
  • Bent I/O shield metal so it wouldn't go in; spent an hour screwing on motherboard because of it.

I really hope you didn't fry something. Did you ground yourself when doing this? I'm praying for you brah

NoRéN

Sweet Jesus!

I really hope you didn't fry something. Did you ground yourself when doing this? I'm praying for you brah

If there was one thing I did correctly today it was making sure I was grounded.
I kept touchin' stuff like king midas lolol

NoRéN;46223989 said:
Sweet Jesus!

We are professionals. Don't try this at home.

Jokes aside though, I often learn by a lot of trial and error, and after that I will learn it well. Hopefully this is one of those.

Finished my build today (finally got my motherboard in). I was running an old AMD dual core and a 4850. Now I'm running a i5-3570 and a 7850. Can't wait to play the games that I bought on Steam before I was able to run them.

LMAO! Yeah, you spent a lot of my money when I went to full on water! :)

But worth it! I figure you consulting amounted to a few hundred bucks that you did for free! So anyone going water, listen to Mkenyon! hehehe

How do you know if you need to water cool your cpu? Is it only for overclocking?

I was looking at building a machine based around the i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz and a GTX 670 card in a Corsair 400R case.

Finished my build today (finally got my motherboard in). I was running an old AMD dual core and a 4850. Now I'm running a i5-3570 and a 7850. Can't wait to play the games that I bought on Steam before I was able to run them.

I know that feeling. I have around 30 Steam games, and have never owned a pc that could run any of them. :)

Instro

Since you guys are probably pretty familiar with intel release cycles, can we expect Haswell sooner in 2013 rather than later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom