• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

beje

Banned
I just saw your post in the Sleeping Dogs thread, has anything changed since then?

Surprisingly, the game now loads fine but I still get crashes while playing. The game bugs are extremely random, it looks like that it doesn't like specific CPU/GPU combinations or something.

By the way, I think I did something wrong installing my Antec Kuhler 620, as the max temps in Core Temp while doing a Prime95 Blend test go as high as 80-87ºC in my 4.4GHz i5 3570k (28-35ºC on idle with throttling). I used the pre-applied thermal paste. Should I clean it off and use an aftermarket one? I'm absolutely sure the bolts are as tight as they can be...

tetromibi

Neo Member
Is a cooler needed for a video card? In my case the card would be a EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Before I place my order, am I forgetting anything for a complete build?

Case
CPU/Motherboard
Arctic Silver
CPU Cooler
Video Card
Power Supply
Copy of Operating System
RAM
Hard Drive

Surprisingly, the game now loads fine but I still get crashes while playing. The game bugs are extremely random, it looks like that it doesn't like specific CPU/GPU combinations or something.

As said its weird since i have the same combination and its doing great

Is a cooler needed for a video card? In my case the card would be a EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Before I place my order, am I forgetting anything for a complete build?

Case
CPU/Motherboard
Arctic Silver
CPU Cooler
Video Card
Power Supply
Copy of Operating System
RAM
Hard Drive

other from a monitor which you more likely have i would say an SSD imo :)

Though its technically a hard drive i still separate it from the usual mechanical Hard drives

tetromibi

Neo Member
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition RC-942-KKN3 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 WS LGA 2011

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Power Supply: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-AMBAJ3-US 850W

Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-N680OC-2GD GeForce GTX 680

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB (yes, after all of that, I'm going for a single SSD at the moment)

Any other suggestions? I'm just building a monster computer for the heck of it.

Edit: BLU RAY PLAYER!! That's what I was forgetting. Thanks!

mkenyon

Banned
Think you could wait a little over an hour until I get home and make dinner? Since you're going that crazy with your build, there's a lot more room for optimization, want to throw some ideas your way.

Khar

I have a problem with my new graphics card:

I got the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC and I can't seem to gt the fan clock below 40%.
I downloaded the MSI Afterburner Tool and also tried the ASUS and Gigabyte ones, but none of them allows me to go below 40%.

It's pretty ridiculous because the temp is only at 28°C without load and the GPU could be much more quiet. What to do? Can I override the min % setting somewhere?

Edit: My Bios version shows: 80.06.10.00.3d, but on the Gigabyte site there is another one 80.04.4B.00.26 - the last one is older, right? Or do bios version follow other naming specifications?

I changed my Gigabyte 460 GTX lowest fan % by editing the bios with Nibitor.

Here's a guide detailing how to use it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E33VThHYl8

The latest version seems to be 6.0.6.

This will void your warranty though for me it was worth it.

My Asus 670 DCU is far quieter than that card ever was even after the bios edit. If you do change cards I'd definitely recommend the Asus. Quietest graphics card I've ever owned -- even quieter than the card I slapped an Accelero S1 on years ago.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition RC-942-KKN3 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-N680OC-2GD GeForce GTX 680

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB (yes, after all of that, I'm going for a single SSD at the moment)

SSD spotted but i would go with the hybrid approach of an SSD for your OS and some stuff while having a huge HDD for data.

Plus why do you need so much memory? What are you gonna do with this computer (gaming, multimedia work, etc, virtualization)

beje

Banned
1) Time to reformat. Not doing so has now cost you more time than doing it in the first place!

2) What are your volts at?

At stock speed (3.6GHz): 1.1V idle, 1.28V full load, max 60ºC average
At 4.4GHz using my board's OC preset for that speed: 1.1V idle, 1.38V full load, max 80ºC average

I'll try reinstalling tomorrow. Could it also be the fact that I'm just using 4 pin ATX (which the mobo explicitly supports) instead of a full 8 pin?

Real world usage doesn't put the CPU beyond 60C when OC'd so I'm not THAT worried but I actually expected something better out of a water cooler, even if it's an entry level one.

Edit: Could it also be that the 4.4GHz preset is automatically overvolting too much and I should try just changing the multiplier to 44 on the stock values?

tetromibi

Neo Member
SSD spotted but i would go with the hybrid approach of an SSD for your OS and some stuff while having a huge HDD for data.

Plus why do you need so much memory? What are you gonna do with this computer (gaming, multimedia work, etc, virtualization)

Gaming, video editing, futureproofing. I really don't need anywhere near what I'm building, but I want to go all out anyway.

Ty4on

Gaming, video editing, futureproofing. I really don't need anywhere near what I'm building, but I want to go all out anyway.

How the hell do you use manage to use 64GB RAM? If you render something that big it probably won't fit on your SSD.
If you want a monster computer go for SLI/Crossfire and a custom watercooling loop to overclock the CPU more. Those 50-60GB you're not using will just sit there...

Sorry, I was just stunned by the RAM. You could run your computer with games off it without a hard drive :p

Ty4on

^^^^Indeed. The 7900 series looks like mighty good bang for buck now.

In a practical sense, maybe. I'd just go with 16GB to start. You can always add more later.

Yeah, it's twice as much as 8GB which is enough for a normal gaming computer. You'll save enough money to buy an extra 680, 512GB SSD...

Anyone have a Corsair 550D?

I currently have a 600T and after a year it's just too loud for my tastes, and I want to get something quieter. Thinking about getting a 550D or the R4.

tetromibi

Neo Member

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600

Video Card: EVGA 04G-P4-2690-KR GeForce GTX 690

Blu-Ray Player: LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-Ray Burner

I underlined a few changes

hmm i could see needing some RAM for video editing but 64 is cray and i think my thoughts of getting a big HDD along with an SSD works with that also (save your videos there, keep the essentials/currently being used on the SSD, etc)

So I guess 64 is beyond overkill. Is 32gb ram still in that bat-shit crazy realm?

Its like dropping a nuclear bomb to kill a fly imo LOL

i also think 32 is pushing it and would go to 16 instead (plus if you somehow need more you could get it later)

These new AMD beta drivers are the bee's knees where BF3 is concerned.

So they are not killing cards then? good to know :p

mkenyon

Banned
I underlined a few changes
Alright, first things first.

1) X79/3930K are insane unless multimedia work is going to be an every day task or you want to destroy synthetic benchmarks. An idea of the difference between a 3770K and the 3930K. Borderlands 2 is about as CPU dependent as you get. Skyrim is very CPU dependent. Crysis 2 is about average. If I were to post BF3, you would see every processor just about the same.

(courtesy of Tech Report and TechPowerUp)

7sbyp.png

yzOe7.gif

kDe19.gif

With new engines, these differences likely won't grow, but will actually become even more marginal. CPU's are so insanely powerful compared to what games are asking them to do. Once engines are optimized for modern CPUs, it's very unlikely they're going to be a bottleneck.

I *really* suggest going with a 3770K and Z77. The number one reason is guaranteed PCI-E 3.0. X79 kind of pseudo-supports it and you have to flash your system to see if it takes hold. It's a total crapshoot, last time I checked.

The only thing you might say to deter me from this stance is if you want to bench as a hobby. I get it, and I've done silly stuff for it too.

2) Drop that PSU.
If you are in the market for a new good PSU, buy the Seasonic X750 on Newegg right now!

$100 w/ Promo Code EMCYTZT2397. That's like 40% off.

3) This is a very personal choice, and one that is tied in to my Z77 suggestion before I suggest a motherboard. Did you pick the HAF because you like the aesthetic and you like the idea of a big case, or did you pick it for its perceived cooling ability?

If the prior, look at the CM Storm Stryker/Trooper, HAF XM, and Corsair 500R.

If the latter, parts are super efficient these days and don't really require the same kind of cooling. If you want to have a case that is both super cool and very quiet, I'd suggest looking at something like the Fractal Arc Midi, Lian Li PC-7HX, Fractal Define R4, BitFenix Ghost, BitFenix Shinobi XL, or NZXT Switch 810 with custom fans like the Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition.

4) Get this RAM instead. It clocks to 2100mhz like no problem, outclassing $300 sets of RAM. Just get two sets of it.

Now, with this money saved, get a 120hz monitor like the Samsung S23A700/750/950D if you like really nice colors or the BenQ XL2420T if you want super responsive awesomeness.

Also, other things that would benefit you a lot more than the processor and motherboard you have selected:

• Set of quality cans
  • Really nice soundcard or external DAC/amp
  • Mech keyboard like the Filco Majestouch 2, Noppoo Choc, CM Storm Quick Fire
  • Steelseries Sensei RAW (no other mouse can compare if you don't claw grip)

If you have any other desires or interests, like mATX/SFF, watercooling, super silent, or even built for benches/high overclocking, I can offer some other suggestions as well.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have a Corsair 550D?

I currently have a 600T and after a year it's just too loud for my tastes, and I want to get something quieter. Thinking about getting a 550D or the R4.
R4, no question. The 550D is basically a gussied-up 300R, which is probably below the Diablotek Evo and NZXT Source 210 Elite for recommended cases. The build quality is pretty iffy, and the case layout is meh. I've built in one for a friend, and I was so unimpressed I don't even remember much other than thinking 'this is like that crappy 300R I built in with a fancy shell'.

Veal

ASUS P8Z77-I, mostly due to the fact that the Gigabyte board wasn't out yet and the ASRock has major aftermarket cooler compatibility issues. I'd buy the Gigabyte now if I were in the same position.

What makes the Gigabyte board a better choice in your opinion over the Asus? I'm using the Asus one and it's pretty amazing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa that sensei raw looks a lot like my intellimouse 3.0.. Might be time to upgrade after a decade of use..

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Alright, first things first.

• Set of quality cans
  • Really nice soundcard or external DAC/amp
  • Mech keyboard like the Filco Majestouch 2, Noppoo Choc, CM Storm Quick Fire
  • Steelseries Sensei RAW (no other mouse can compare if you don't claw grip)

If you have any other desires or interests, like mATX/SFF, watercooling, super silent, or even built for benches/high overclocking, I can offer some other suggestions as well.
Iawtp

mkenyon

Banned
What makes the Gigabyte board a better choice in your opinion over the Asus? I'm using the Asus one and it's pretty amazing.
The ASUS is the better board. The Gigabyte is just way less expensive and will do the same thing.
Whoa that sensei raw looks a lot like my intellimouse 3.0.. Might be time to upgrade after a decade of use..
The sensor and custom CPI/everything puts every other mouse out there to shame (objective), and the design is so simple and comfortable (subjective). I haven't met anyone in esports that used something else once they've tried it.
At stock speed (3.6GHz): 1.1V idle, 1.28V full load, max 60ºC average
At 4.4GHz using my board's OC preset for that speed: 1.1V idle, 1.38V full load, max 80ºC average

I'll try reinstalling tomorrow. Could it also be the fact that I'm just using 4 pin ATX (which the mobo explicitly supports) instead of a full 8 pin?

Real world usage doesn't put the CPU beyond 60C when OC'd so I'm not THAT worried but I actually expected something better out of a water cooler, even if it's an entry level one.

Edit: Could it also be that the 4.4GHz preset is automatically overvolting too much and I should try just changing the multiplier to 44 on the stock values?
Yes yes yes. 1.38 is so high for Ivy. Start it at 1.35, run Prime 95 small FFT for 10 minutes. Restart, scale back. Repeat until it becomes unstable, go back a step, then stress for an hour or two.

Desavona

Thought I would post this here just in case anyone is interested. Received my Catleap 27" monitor yesterday and it has a vertical row of stuck pixels (pink on a white background) right in the middle of the screen. Line goes away if I put mild pressure just below the bezel (on the actual screen) just to the left of the row. I guess it's a loose contact. Shooting emails back and forth with the seller now will update when I find out more.

Salsa

Crysis 2 makes my 680 whine. Only game that does it. It's fucking weird. Only does it during startup. Once I'm actually in game it goes away.

probably the intro sequences. Those tend to be unlocked framerate-wise and if you run it with fraps you'll see numbers in the thousands

Crysis 2 makes my 680 whine. Only game that does it. It's fucking weird. Only does it during startup. Once I'm actually in game it goes away.

Funnily the culprit is Crysis 1 and it does the same fucking thing (happens during startup then seems to go away while playing). WTH?

probably the intro sequences. Those tend to be unlocked framerate-wise and if you run it with fraps you'll see numbers in the thousands

whoa thats weird

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Planetside2 is incredible. A bit of a tough nut to crack, but its breathtaking when everything starts clicking. Just played for a couple hours, found a squad. Took over some depots, its crazy. That game is unlike anything I've played before. Its certainly a weird beast though, the physics and shooting mechanics leave a lot to be desired when compared to a typical FPS. But given that its anything but a typical FPS it kinda just has its own unique feel. Oh man, its incredible.

sueil

So ordered my parts today and they will be here Thursday but I am wondering about building. My tiny apartment is all carpeted except for the tiny kitchen. The kitchen wouldn't really have room to build in it. I have a nice wood table to build on but the floor is carpet. How fucked would I be to build on that, if I did frequent case touching?

beje

Banned
I'll test the volt stuff when I arrive home. In the meantime, another question I couldn't see answered a couple pages back. It's about this PSU:

http://nox-xtreme.com/en/power-supply/hummer-m-550w

You may now have heard about it because it's a Spanish brand and their products are only sold in southern Europe, but it's very well known and appreciated down here by gamers/modders. I just need to know if those specs are good because I can get it at a great price (and it's modular! you usually don't see those at this wattage). Most reviews also state that even though it's not 80+ certified, it behaves like one.

Row

Banned
This is my near finished build:

Case Bitfenix Prodigy

Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe

CPU i5-3570k

GPU GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950

PSU SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W 

RAM Samsung 30nm 2x4GB

Primary Drive Crucial M4 128GB SSD

Storage Drive Samsung 1TB HDD

CPU Cooling H60

Operating System Windows 7 Premium

Monitor ASUS VW246H

Keyboard Sidewinder X4

Mouse SteelSeries Sensei

Optical Drive Standard LG DVD

At this point I'm seeing where I can cut costs, as I'm currently at around $1,632 going mainly by newegg.ca prices. If I can find a cheaper place to get windows or get a smaller monitor I guess that might do it. Could cut a lot out by switching out the gpu but I really want a powerful card.

Won't be buying parts for another few weeks as I'm out of country,so still just tweaking/second guessing things

Akkad

Banned
Can anybody recommend some good sound dampening material? Trying to get some to cover the top and side of 500R case.

scogoth

Case Bitfenix Prodigy

CPU i5-3570k

RAM Samsung 30nm 2x4GB

CPU Cooling H60

Monitor ASUS VW246H

Keyboard Sidewinder X4

Mouse SteelSeries Sensei

At this point I'm seeing where I can cut costs, as I'm currently at around $1,632 going mainly by newegg.ca prices. If I can find a cheaper place to get windows or get a smaller monitor I guess that might do it. Could cut a lot out by switching out the gpu but I really want a powerful card.

Won't be buying parts for another few weeks as I'm out of country,so still just tweaking/second guessing things

If you really need to shave dollars off your build then put everything into price bot and price match them on ncix. Will take a little longer but can sometimes save you quite a bit of money.

kharma45

Case Bitfenix Prodigy

CPU i5-3570k

RAM Samsung 30nm 2x4GB

CPU Cooling H60

Monitor ASUS VW246H

Keyboard Sidewinder X4

Mouse SteelSeries Sensei

Take a look at the Samsung 830 for the SSD, would be my choice over the M4. Also, I'd hold off until (if it hasn't happened already) the new AMD bundles come in stock for the 7900 series.

Vamlock

I have this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130239

And I'm looking at this memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231560

I see the mobo has a max supported memory of 16GB, but I was wondering if it'll be a problem that the 16GB is occupying 2 of the 4 slots, or does that not make a difference? I currently have 4 sticks of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

EDIT: Oh, I'm also looking of upgrading my 5850 to a 7950 with this bundle. How's the power draw and sound (fans) in comparison, a quick look says the power draw is similar or less.

Have a friend who is building a computer and got two 6950's on the way, got a fucking crazy price of $100 each (used obviously). We were going to try the whole unlocking them to 6970 level. Do you do one card at a time or put them both in and do them at once?

Tenck

I'm looking to make my PC last for a while, and I was also thinking HTPC. Would it be too crazy to do 680 gtx? I want something that'll last, and I honestly don't mind paying too much.

RS4-

Have a friend who is building a computer and got two 6950's on the way, got a fucking crazy price of $100 each (used obviously). We were going to try the whole unlocking them to 6970 level. Do you do one card at a time or put them both in and do them at once?

I'd do one at a time and its ymmv on unlocking.

Okay, I need some advice about how to set up my storage solution for the long term.

I currently have four 2 TB external hard drives. One is for my movie backups, and one is for the rest of my media (photos, music, home movies, recorded television, etc.) The other two are backups for the first.

There are two problems:
1. This isn't easily scalable because I am now out of USB ports on the PC
2. Backing things up is a manual process and takes a long time

I've looked into a RAID1 setup, but the options I've seen for that seem to only allow you to connect 2 external drives. Is there any way to have something scalable up to 8 drives? (2 for movies, 2 for other media, and 4 as backups?)

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom