• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been out of PC gaming for quite awhile... a long while actually. Doom III, Half-Life 2 era was when I last had a gaming PC.

This long console cycle is really pushing me to get back into PC gaming so I'm planning on building a new top-end PC rig in the next couple to few months. Starting from absolute scratch.

I have a few questions since I've been out of it... so please be kind, if you don't mind:

I used to always buy Mushkin memory. Are they still recommended?

If I go Intel, I assume I should just go with the best i7 processor that I can afford?

I plan on going nVidia (RIP 3dFX). My last card was a BFG 6800 OC (I think that was it, anyway), what brand/type should I be looking at now? I know there is probably a dozen different varieties. I was really happy with that BFG card. Before that I had an Elsa Gladiac, and I don't think they even make modern cards anymore. I think I will want HDMI out so I can hook up my system to the big HDTV if I so desire to.

Video card drivers, do they still get released quite frequently? I remember there was always some new driver set or beta drivers being released all of the time. That was fun.

Operating System- I work for a city school system, so I have a school email address. Can't I get access to cheap Microsoft software with that? I assume it's best to stay with the modern OS and get 8 over 7, simply for future compatibility.

I used to just use integrated audio on my last couple of systems. Before that I'd use a Soundblaster card. Is this what people do now or is the sound on the video card? I'll probably just use headphones most of the time. I suppose that if I hook it up to the HDTV then I may need to look into HDMI or optical out for the audio...

Case... I used to use Antec SOHO cases. Tall and black. Then with my last system I built a little but powerful Shuttle system. Loved that thing. Anyway... I want something sleek and quiet with good cable management. But I don't want to spend a ton of money on the case.

OR, maybe you'll tell me to hold off on these questions for another couple of months because there is a new set of video cards, processors, etc. about to be released. :p

Ledsen

I've been out of PC gaming for quite awhile... a long while actually. Doom III, Half-Life 2 era was when I last had a gaming PC.

This long console cycle is really pushing me to get back into PC gaming so I'm planning on building a new top-end PC rig in the next couple to few months. Starting from absolute scratch.

I have a few questions since I've been out of it... so please be kind, if you don't mind:

I used to always buy Mushkin memory. Are they still recommended?

If I go Intel, I assume I should just go with the best i7 processor that I can afford?

I plan on going nVidia (RIP 3dFX). My last card was a BFG 6800 OC (I think that was it, anyway), what brand/type should I be looking at now? I know there is probably a dozen different varieties. I was really happy with that BFG card. Before that I had an Elsa Gladiac, and I don't think they even make modern cards anymore. I think I will want HDMI out so I can hook up my system to the big HDTV if I so desire to.

Video card drivers, do they still get released quite frequently? I remember there was always some new driver set or beta drivers being released all of the time. That was fun.

Operating System- I work for a city school system, so I have a school email address. Can't I get access to cheap Microsoft software with that? I assume it's best to stay with the modern OS and get 8 over 7, simply for future compatibility.

I used to just use integrated audio on my last couple of systems. Before that I'd use a Soundblaster card. Is this what people do now or is the sound on the video card? I'll probably just use headphones most of the time. I suppose that if I hook it up to the HDTV then I may need to look into HDMI or optical out for the audio...

Case... I used to use Antec SOHO cases. Tall and black. Then with my last system I built a little but powerful Shuttle system. Loved that thing. Anyway... I want something sleek and quiet with good cable management. But I don't want to spend a ton of money on the case.

OR, maybe you'll tell me to hold off on these questions for another couple of months because there is a new set of video cards, processors, etc. about to be released. :p

Processor - Nope, no reason to go get the best you can afford, because the best processors offer no advantage for a gamer. People here will set you straight in terms of which one to get.

Video card - depends on your price range. AMD offers a lot more price/performance, but if you really want Nvidia (I do, but I'm stupid I guess) there's the 660Ti/670/680 depending on your price range. Nvidia drivers are every month I think for beta releases at least. All video cards have HDMI.

RAM - There's a Samsung RAM everybody recommends, get that one. Never heard of Mushkin.

OS - W8 is basically W7 with the start menu taking up the whole screen... get it if you want to, but no real reason to since W7 will undoubtedly be supported until W9 and beyond since it's so popular (like XP back in the day).

Sound - integrated audio on your mobo is sufficient for anyone unless you're an audio nerd or otherwise special interest person. All video cards have audio through the HDMI cable, so you won't need anything extra.

Case - Get a Fractal Define R4.

TL;DR: Check the OP and just buy one of those builds, they're meticulously researched.

mkenyon

Banned
Hi computer expert GAF!

I'm currently looking into buying a new GPU for my PC, which I can use for the next couple of years. I already upgraded my RAM from 4 GB DDR3 to 8 and I'm considering buying 8 more since RAM is so cheap.

My current setup is:
Phenom II X4 965 BE
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
Sapphire Ati Radeon 5770

In a 2 screen setup (1440x900 and 1680x1050).

My friends all recommended me a GeForce Gtx 670 but I'm not quite sure which I should buy. I heard a lot good things about the FTW from EVGA and from the Asus one.

I would really appreciate if you guys could help me out with my decision!
EVGA cards run loud and hot, go with the Gigabyte Windforce, ASUS DCII, or MSI Twin Frozr. Also start saving for a processor upgrade. You'll only need proc/mobo since that RAM will carry over. AMD PII X4's suffer from frame latency issues, check out the article titled 'Inside the Second' in the OP.

To give you an idea of the performance gains in raw frames per second (which is only a portion of the story), this is how processor bound games based on UE3 are:

7sbyp.png

What I'm looking for is to make a desktop to play top end games but I also do a lot of 3D modeling as well as game design on them (including other programs like Photoshop, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, etc...), thus I am looking at 16 gigs of RAM for now so I can run a lot of programs at once and some larger harddrives (not too sure what size yet). I also want it to be pretty future-proof as well. (I plan on picking up a MS surface pro when they are announced as my portable computer instead of a laptop)

I have a budget of around $1,200 (not including a new monitor and keyboard). Any help would be appreciated. Once again I want something that is future-proof and allows me to play recent games at high settings as well as allow me to do my 3D modeling, photoshop, etc... all at once.

So sorry if that sounded somewhat confusing, I am typing this fast and am somewhat confused with some of the hardware choices out there. So once again thank you for any help that you can offer and sorry for the long post.
I could could item by item, but really you just want to pick the 'Excellent' build in the OP, but swap in the 3770K. Get the ASUS P8Z77-V LK for the motherboard. For your 16GB of RAM, I would suggest going with two 8GB sticks so you can upgrade it to 32GB later on. Also get an SSD, Crucial M4/Samsung 830/840/840 Pro. Just be patient and snipe a deal on one, they go for under $100 for a 128GB drive at least weekly.

The thing that makes your budget untenable are HDDs. The industry got hit by floods and then became a duopoly during the process, so prices are stupid high still. With your work being important, you need to save up and look into a NAS solution. Synology, WD Sentinel, and QNap are the best out there, but you just want something where you can do a nice RAID array with multiple drives to ensure that your data will remain safe. Budget $800 or so for that as an eventuality.
Hmm, so its time for a new GPU, but my Sonata 2 only fits cards up to 10.5 inches. I am eyeing a 7950, and one of the few I see that fits is the XFX one here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=iXu8xiaVEeKnnH6F092uNwRgv_KSQF3_0_0_0&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16814150588
Which just happens to be on a pretty slickdeal here:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5415758-XFX-Double-D-Radeon-HD-7950-3GB-384-bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3-0-x16-HDCP-Ready-CrossFireX-Support-Video-Card-FarCry3-HitMan-Sleeping-Dogs-PC-Game-Coupons-280-AR-Free-Shipping

$280 after rebate and 5 games I can mostly sell is not too shabby. Opinions?
The XFX Double D coolers are some of the worst out there. Perform worse than reference IIRC.
Alright guys I can't take it. I tried some of the tips and bought new fans and everything and this 600T is just way too loud so I'm going to buy a new case. Will I have cooling problems in an R4 with SLI 580s? Other cases I'm looking at are 550D and Storm Stryker and Silverstone Raven.
Sorry man :(

R4 will do fine. My 7970 is happy as a clam in there. Your reference 580s will be a lot quieter in there thanks to the sound deadening material too.

mkenyon

Banned
I want to buy a new 2-3 TB HDD for external storage & backup (Drive only)

Is the WD Green still a good option?
Only if you don't need it to be dead reliable. WD Greens are unreliable and do not work in RAID. If it is just a backup and something that won't be used/accessed often, it'll be fine.

mkenyon

Banned
WD Blacks (noisy though), or RE4s.

Yeah, sticker shock. HDD industry sucks so bad right now. Makes me crazy frustrated.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm thinking about building a PC, but I don't know if maybe I should save my money instead.

This is what I configured so far.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($62.22 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($224.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 180GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.51 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D ATX Full Tower Case ($244.96 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($25.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1687.59

I was either thinking about getting the 800D case or one of those Silverstone Fortress Cases. That soundcard is actually good for speakers right? Not just headphones?

I guess I could use my Radeon 6950 2GB to save some money on a video card. I wanted to try out the physx and those injection things (How important are those?)

The memory I just kind of randomly chose. Don't know how good it is. Recommendations?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm thinking about building a PC, but I don't know if maybe I should save my money instead.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 180GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.51 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)

I was either thinking about getting the 800D case or one of those Silverstone Fortress Cases. That soundcard is actually good for speakers right? Not just headphones?

I guess I could use my Radeon 6950 2GB to save some money on a video card. I wanted to try out the physx and those injection things (How important are those?)

The memory I just kind of randomly chose. Don't know how good it is. Recommendations?
What are you building for? Multimedia? Some thoughts:

If you want a 670, get the Gigabyte Windforce, ASUS DCII or Twin Frozr. You only need a ~500W PSU for that.

The i7 over i5 only offers benefits in multimedia.

Sabertooth is a lot of motherboard, unless you really like it for the aesthetics.

Is there a reason why you want a huge case?

Get low profile RAM like the OP suggests.

taoofjord

So I recently upgraded to Windows 8 digitally from Windows 8 RP (which was installed over Windows 7, of which I have the discs). Windows 8 is telling me that my HDD is going bad so I just purchased an SSD. I haven't hooked it up yet but I would like to know if it's possible to transfer my Windows 8 installation and all my files onto the SSD by way of a windows or third party program? If not, do I then have to clean install Windows 7 then upgrade to Windows 8 and then just copy and paste my files over?

Processor - Nope, no reason to go get the best you can afford, because the best processors offer no advantage for a gamer. People here will set you straight in terms of which one to get.

Video card - depends on your price range. AMD offers a lot more price/performance, but if you really want Nvidia (I do, but I'm stupid I guess) there's the 660Ti/670/680 depending on your price range. Nvidia drivers are every month I think for beta releases at least. All video cards have HDMI.

RAM - There's a Samsung RAM everybody recommends, get that one. Never heard of Mushkin.

OS - W8 is basically W7 with the start menu taking up the whole screen... get it if you want to, but no real reason to since W7 will undoubtedly be supported until W9 and beyond since it's so popular (like XP back in the day).

Sound - integrated audio on your mobo is sufficient for anyone unless you're an audio nerd or otherwise special interest person. All video cards have audio through the HDMI cable, so you won't need anything extra.

Case - Get a Fractal Define R4.

TL;DR: Check the OP and just buy one of those builds, they're meticulously researched.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

GHG

Right, its time for a new graphics card me thinks. My 480 GTX just isn't cutting it in Skyrim with mods and everything installed. Plus its loud, runs hot and consumes a lot of electricity.

I've narrowed it down to 2 cards (with the main issues with Skyrim being VRam related, the card needs to be over 3GB, please don't suggest me a 2GB card, it doesn't suit my needs and yes I know they are more cost efficient)):

Nvidia 670 4gb
AMD 7970 3GB

Everything is pointing towards me going AMD, especially with the free games bundles and it being a lot cheaper right now.

My main concerns are IQ related however. I do a lot of downsampling with my current Nvidia card and it is straightforward. I also use Nvidia Inspector a LOT to add IQ improvements to pretty much any game that will allow it. I last had an ATI card when I had my 4770 many moons ago. I wasn't even big on IQ then... I was just happy that thing could run games considering it was my 1st step from integrated graphics. So I have no idea when it comes to things like this with AMD.

Is there a program similar to Inspector that I'd be able to use with a 7970? Will I still be able to do things like add SGSSAA and modify LOD biases? Will I still be able to downsample? If not, is there an alternative Nvidia card that would still be suitable for me with at least 3GB ram that I've somehow missed?

Someone please guide me!

grkazan12

Hey guys, so I've noticed that I seen an abundance of blue screens in the past couple of days, and before my comp restarts it says MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

Could this be a problem with the ram? Should I put them in different slots? or Hard Drive?

Irobot82

Hey guys, so I've noticed that I seen an abundance of blue screens in the past couple of days, and before my comp restarts it says MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

Could this be a problem with the ram? Should I put them in different slots? or Hard Drive?

I had this happen to me twice today. Also had a few lockups. I may have some kind of sleep mode issue, although I'd imaging if I'm downloading games it shouldn't trigger a sleep mode.

mkenyon

Banned
Right, its time for a new graphics card me thinks.

(snip)

Someone please guide me!
If you are familiar with NVIDIA, the savings on the games bundles won't be worth it. Radeon Pro is the name of the equivalent program, but development for it has stopped. Catalyst Control Center will eventually be taking its place maybe, but it's bare bones in comparison. Radeon Pro still works, but 2 years down the line? No one can know. Get this Gigabyte 670. The sound level and temps will seriously impress you. It runs in the 50s at load with near-ambient noise levels. Chances are your case fans will be louder.

Get a blue screen dump analyzer, then google the code.

mkenyon

Banned
Nothing, unless you have a motherboard capable of quad channel (X79 chipset). Even then, it's really minimal unless you are talking about multimedia production.

Thraktor

What's the difference in performance/stability with 4*4 GB RAM and 8*2?

None whatsoever. Well, unless you have a quad-channel motherboard (i.e. LGA2011 socket), in which case the former would give you higher bandwidth, but even then that's only going to be beneficial in certain cases, like some kinds of multimedia work.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What are you building for? Multimedia? Some thoughts:

If you want a 670, get the Gigabyte Windforce, ASUS DCII or Twin Frozr. You only need a ~500W PSU for that.

The i7 over i5 only offers benefits in multimedia.

Sabertooth is a lot of motherboard, unless you really like it for the aesthetics.

Is there a reason why you want a huge case?

Get low profile RAM like the OP suggests.

I was mainly getting it for Gaming. Multimedia as in transcoding?

I was thinking about OC'ing the processor

Yeah I liked the looks of the Sabretooth >_>

I was looking at a big case because my Antec 900 that I've had for like 4 years was terrible in combination with the motherboard. I cut myself so many times.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm in the very early brainstorming phases of next year's PC.

For you enthusiasts out there, how do you typically fit 2 GPUs and a sound card on a motherboard? Is motherboard selection still very specific for typical full ATX?

I'm using Klipsch 2.1 with stereo TRS jacks (correct my terminology if it's wrong, the green connector on motherboards for front speakers)...is a dedicated sound card a waste of money?

Back in the day I had an Audigy 2 ZS with Klipsch 5.1 and I remember the audio being vastly superior to what I have now. But the power amp on the sub died years ago.

GHG

If you are familiar with NVIDIA, the savings on the games bundles won't be worth it. Radeon Pro is the name of the equivalent program, but development for it has stopped. Catalyst Control Center will eventually be taking its place maybe, but it's bare bones in comparison. Radeon Pro still works, but 2 years down the line? No one can know. Get this Gigabyte 670. The sound level and temps will seriously impress you. It runs in the 50s at load with near-ambient noise levels. Chances are your case fans will be louder.

Get a blue screen dump analyzer, then google the code.

Hmm... that looks a good buy but here in the UK it is about £100 more than if i were to get a 7970...

Can this radeonpro application do all of the same things as Nvidia inspector?

I'm not into buying something just because I'm familiar with the way the brand works... I'll buy something if I believe it will suit my needs well and is cost effective. I'm happy to learn a new way of doing things!

mkenyon

Banned
I was mainly getting it for Gaming. Multimedia as in transcoding?

I was thinking about OC'ing the processor

Yeah I liked the looks of the Sabretooth >_>

I was looking at a big case because my Antec 900 that I've had for like 4 years was terrible in combination with the motherboard. I cut myself so many times.
Yeah, that's because it's an Antec. Get yourself a Fractal Define R4. You parts will run cooler than in a 800D even. Both the 800D and Fortress FT02 are fairly outdated. They're good for water cooling, but 800D is bad for air cooling and the FT02 has some really specific oddities that makes me instantly say no unless the person is an enthusiast.

If you want that aluminum look, check out the Lian Li PC-7HX.

Otherwise, stick to the 'excellent' build in the OP. Sub in some extras that you might want. Definitely go for the i5 over the i7, as the i7 offers nothing in games.
Hmm, so what would you recommend as the top choices? I am thinking sometime in the next few weeks I will jump on something.
Sapphire twin fan coolers (non-toxic), ASUS DCII, Gigabyte Windforce, MSI Twin Frozr, Powercolor twin fan coolers.
Hmm... that looks a good buy but here in the UK it is about £100 more than if i were to get a 7970...

Can this radeonpro application do all of the same things as Nvidia inspector?

I'm not into buying something just because I'm familiar with the way the brand works... I'll buy something if I believe it will suit my needs well and is cost effective. I'm happy to learn a new way of doing things!
Like I said, it's not being developed anymore. As to whether or not it's as good as Inspector, I do not know. I'm not an IQ guy myself, I shoot for 120hz/fps and call it good. I have heard complaints, so I'm anecdotally inclined to say it's not as good.

FWIW, I do have an RoG Matrix 7970 (Sk3tch is the man) and some 670 4GB cards in either of my gaming machines. I do really like the 670, and I think I prefer it. But, if a gun were held to my head and someone forced me to pick one of my 670s or the 7970, I'd go for the 7970. That's not even factoring in cost either. However, it's probably me just being irrational. 670 draws way less power, runs cooler and quieter, and performs right there with the 7970 (unless you OC the 7970).
I'm in the very early brainstorming phases of next year's PC.

For you enthusiasts out there, how do you typically fit 2 GPUs and a sound card on a motherboard? Is motherboard selection still very specific for typical full ATX?

I'm using Klipsch 2.1 with stereo TRS jacks (correct my terminology if it's wrong, the green connector on motherboards for front speakers)...is a dedicated sound card a waste of money?

Back in the day I had an Audigy 2 ZS with Klipsch 5.1 and I remember the audio being vastly superior to what I have now. But the power amp on the sub died years ago.
Are your Klipsch 2.1 speakers powered? If so, then all you are really after in a audio solution is a DAC (digital audio converter). It depends on the motherboard you get for the quality, and they do make it pretty clear which each motherboard has. Just google the name you see in the specs, and you'll get all of the info you need. The motherboards that stand out as having a really really nice onboard solution are the G1 Sniper 3, Maximus Gene V, Maximus Formula V (ThunderFX), and the G1 Assassin 2. They're all enthusiast boards and fairly pricey. With the Gene though, if you are planning on buying a $50 sound card, then the price more than justifies itself.

As to your question on motherboard selection being very specific, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Do you mean that generally you only want to buy full ATX?

As for how you fit two cards on a motherbard as well as a soundcard, you just need to pay attention to the motherboard slot configuration. Most of the standard boards have this layout:

cXE5N.jpg

The soundcard would go in the top slot, and the video cards would go in the two longer slots.

Soviet

Banned
Let's say I want to buy a GTX 670. But there's like million different models and manufactures? Is there a huge different between them? Should I look for something specific?

teh_pwn

Are your Klipsch 2.1 speakers powered? If so, then all you are really after in a audio solution is a DAC (digital audio converter). It depends on the motherboard you get for the quality, and they do make it pretty clear which each motherboard has. Just google the name you see in the specs, and you'll get all of the info you need. The motherboards that stand out as having a really really nice onboard solution are the G1 Sniper 3, Maximus Gene V, Maximus Formula V (ThunderFX), and the G1 Assassin 2. They're all enthusiast boards and fairly pricey. With the Gene though, if you are planning on buying a $50 sound card, then the price more than justifies itself.

As to your question on motherboard selection being very specific, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Do you mean that generally you only want to buy full ATX?

As for how you fit two cards on a motherbard as well as a soundcard, you just need to pay attention to the motherboard slot configuration. Most of the standard boards have this layout:

cXE5N.jpg

The soundcard would go in the top slot, and the video cards would go in the two longer slots.

Yep, they're powered. And derp I had it on a low audio quality setting.

But still it seems medium end at best.

I've got the PCIex1 above my video cards with my current motherboard, so that should fit.

Yeah, so my hearing isn't going bad. That realtek chipset has 90 dB SNR. My speakers, which honestly are on the cheaper side but I didn't want to put up with 5.1 in my apartment office, are 108 dB. 18 dB is a massive difference. I'm going to put a Xonar STX in my PC now (which is 124 dB) because it will become the HTPC in my living room which has a much better audio system. Oh, and feel free to mock my spec comparisons IHaveNoIdeaWhatI'mDoingDog.png.

Next year's motherboard will have a better onboard that should satisfy my 2.1 Promedia.

sol_bad

I see you guys mention the Xonar ST/STX as the best sound cards to get. Do you mean the Xonar Essence cards?

Are there any articles that compare the Xonars to Creatives latest offerings?

I own a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Extreme Gamer. Upgraded to an Asus Sabertooth Z77 without realising there were no PCI slots and now can't use my sound card.

Currently stuck with onboard sound and its terrible with my Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers.

Thanks heaps guys.
:)

teh_pwn

I see you guys mention the Xonar ST/STX as the best sound cards to get. Do you mean the Xonar Essence cards?

I own a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Extreme Gamer. Upgraded to an Asus Sabertooth Z77 without realising there were no PCI slots and now can't use my sound card.

Currently stuck with onboard sound and its terrible with my Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers.

Thanks heaps guys.

I mean Xonar Essence STX.

I'm not an audiophile. I just like good audio, and I learn just enough to figure out what that is rather than getting duped into Bose or something.

I imagine the sky is the limit with audio quality. Like nothing could stop you from getting an external receiver for your speakers and just send them good quality digital data.

There's some cheaper audio cards recommended in the OP.

demented

I was always saying I'll upgrade pc when DDR4 comes out but been reading some and for consumers it seems like it won't be available before 2015, and then at what cost etc.

So problem now is my graphics card might be dying and PC is from 2008 and if I upgrade 1 thing I'll want to upgrade all (new cpu, new mobo and ddr3, SSD because hdds are slow) but I am not sure if it's worth it, if it will be good for next 5+ years(run games max/very high like this one) because some new thing might come out tomorrow that is xx times better than current stuff hm.

So what's the word on next line of graphics cards and cpus? Should I wait for them or go for it now, or wait for card to die, or just upgrade the card?

My spec:

BenQ G2400WD Black 24" 5ms, 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - I would love to upgrade to 120hz/27", preferably both. This monitor is fine but always felt colors weren't all that.
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - no need to upgrade this
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - would have to upgrade it because it doesn't support ddr3 etc
ASUS EAH4870X2/HTDI/2G Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - might be dying, can copy pasta issue I'm having(tldr: artifacts in 1 game then causes pc to freeze and monitor to go on stanby while I hear sound, happens after long session and it's not overheating, never happened in other games, game is GW2, talking to support atm)
COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro1000 RS-A00-EMBA 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - don't think I'll ever need more power for anything
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - oced at 3.2ghz I think
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit - need ddr3
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler I5 775 AMD compatible - ok heatsink but I'm going watercooling next pc.
2 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - got a feeling it's becoming slower and slower, got ton of data and would love SSD and these 2 as backups.
Also got xonar dg soundcard, wifi card etc.

TheD

The Detective

I would avoid Asus sound cards, they are known for having a large output impedance.
That means that low impedance headphones will have a funky frequency response when used with it, mainly it will lack bass.
It is the same thing that the real old ipods had (gen 1 to gen 4).

MC RaZaR

Neo Member
Let's say I want to buy a GTX 670. But there's like million different models and manufactures? Is there a huge different between them? Should I look for something specific?

They have different coolers, so temperatures and fan noise differ. Some will also be overclocked and they have different overclock capabilities.

Maybe someone will provide suggestions as to which to buy.

sol_bad

I mean Xonar Essence STX.

I'm not an audiophile. I just like good audio, and I learn just enough to figure out what that is rather than getting duped into Bose or something.

I imagine the sky is the limit with audio quality. Like nothing could stop you from getting an external receiver for your speakers and just send them good quality digital data.

There's some cheaper audio cards recommended in the OP.

Thank you for the reply.
I already have a very efficient audio receiver which I have my PC/consoles all hooked up to. My pc is hooked up by analogue cables, sounded great with my last sound card.

Some people say the ASUS cards are better, others say the Creative cards are better. So confusing.

conman

Is there a reason to bother with a sound card if I just send PC audio via HDMI (via my GPU) to my receiver? Or does a sound card only matter if I'm sending analog audio and/or not processing it through my AVR? And, yes, I do care somewhat about audio quality. I have all of my music stored in lossless formats. Or should I generally assume the DAC is better on my motherboard than on my GPU (and, so, should I already be using optical out from my mobo to my AVR)?

EDIT: Also, while I'm at it, I'm very close to biting the bullet on a new gaming/HTPC build. But wondering if I can re-use my 3-4-year-old PSU (550W) for the following tentative parts:

CPU: i5 3570K
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V
RAM: G.Skill 2x4GB 1600 1.5V
GPU: GTX 660Ti
Storage: WD Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 (or similar)

Any other general feedback would be appreciated. Hoping to press the "buy" button within the next few days. Much thanks for any advice.

TheD

The Detective
Is there a reason to bother with a sound card if I just send PC audio via HDMI (via my GPU) to my receiver? Or does a sound card only matter if I'm sending analog audio and/or not processing it through my AVR? And, yes, I do care somewhat about audio quality. I have all of my music stored in lossless formats. Or should I generally assume the DAC is better on my motherboard than on my GPU (and, so, should I already be using optical out from my mobo to my AVR)?

EDIT: Also, while I'm at it, I'm very close to biting the bullet on a new gaming/HTPC build. But wondering if I can re-use my 3-4-year-old PSU (550W) for the following tentative parts:

CPU: i5 3570K
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V
RAM: G.Skill 2x4GB 1600 1.5V
GPU: GTX 660Ti
Storage: WD Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 (or similar)

Any other general feedback would be appreciated. Hoping to press the "buy" button within the next few days. Much thanks for any advice.

A sound card will not do a thing for audio sent out via HDMI.
GPUs do not have DACs.
HDMI is digital, DACs are "digital to analog converters", they are only in what ever will give you the final analog output (in your case the AVR).

conman

A sound card will not do a thing for audio sent out via HDMI.
GPUs do not have DACs.
HDMI is digital, DACs are "digital to analog converters", they are only in what ever will give you the final analog output (in your case the AVR).
I would say I felt stupid if I didn't feel grateful. Thanks.

Am I missing something similarly obvious with my PSU question?

sgi02

Banned
I was always saying I'll upgrade pc when DDR4 comes out but been reading some and for consumers it seems like it won't be available before 2015, and then at what cost etc.

So problem now is my graphics card might be dying and PC is from 2008 and if I upgrade 1 thing I'll want to upgrade all (new cpu, new mobo and ddr3, SSD because hdds are slow) but I am not sure if it's worth it, if it will be good for next 5+ years(run games max/very high like this one) because some new thing might come out tomorrow that is xx times better than current stuff hm.

So what's the word on next line of graphics cards and cpus? Should I wait for them or go for it now, or wait for card to die, or just upgrade the card?

My spec:

BenQ G2400WD Black 24" 5ms, 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - I would love to upgrade to 120hz/27", preferably both. This monitor is fine but always felt colors weren't all that.
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - no need to upgrade this
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - would have to upgrade it because it doesn't support ddr3 etc
ASUS EAH4870X2/HTDI/2G Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - might be dying, can copy pasta issue I'm having(tldr: artifacts in 1 game then causes pc to freeze and monitor to go on stanby while I hear sound, happens after long session and it's not overheating, never happened in other games, game is GW2, talking to support atm)
COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro1000 RS-A00-EMBA 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - don't think I'll ever need more power for anything
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - oced at 3.2ghz I think
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit - need ddr3
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler I5 775 AMD compatible - ok heatsink but I'm going watercooling next pc.
2 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - got a feeling it's becoming slower and slower, got ton of data and would love SSD and these 2 as backups.
Also got xonar dg soundcard, wifi card etc.

Spend a little now on graphics and get a lot later on when you finally do decide to fully upgrade. Drop a 7950 or a cheap 670 in there, and when the next gen CPU's are released, upgrade from there on out. Your current system will be CPU bottlenecked (Memory slightly), but otherwise more than capable to hold you over with all the latest and greatest until a full system upgrade.

RedSwirl

Actually on the i7 versus i5 talk, my HTPC would actually be used for multimedia - as in watching videos (streaming or downloaded) and possibly listening to music. In what tasks specifically would an i7 be preferable?

Anyway, while I'ms till figuring out the wireless keyboard and mouse situation, the last thing I think I need to know about is power supply. I'm guessing that 550w should be enough for the following specs right?

i5 3570k
H77
HD7850
Migrating over my WD 1TB HDD
Samsung 830 SSD
Phantom 410 Case
Single DVD RW drive
Netgear or Linksys Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7
No monitor

What other parts am I missing?

Edit: Oh yeah, RAM. I still don't know the first thing about shopping around for that.

TheD

The Detective
I would say I felt stupid if I didn't feel grateful. Thanks.

Am I missing something similarly obvious with my PSU question?
NP

Is the PSU a good brand?

If so then it is more than enough.

Actually on the i7 versus i5 talk, my HTPC would actually be used for multimedia - as in watching videos (streaming or downloaded) and possibly listening to music. In what tasks specifically would an i7 be preferable?

Anyway, while I'ms till figuring out the wireless keyboard and mouse situation, the last thing I think I need to know about is power supply. I'm guessing that 550w should be enough for the following specs right?

i5 3570k
H77
HD7850
Samsung 830 SSD
Phantom 410 Case
Single DVD RW drive
Windows 7
No monitor

Edit: Oh yeah, RAM. I still don't know the first thing about shopping around for that.

An i7 would not be needed.

What the i7 is good for is heavily multi threaded programs, like video encoding due to the extra threads that hyperthreading gives you.

scogoth

i5 3570k
H77
HD7850
Samsung 830 SSD
Phantom 410 Case
Single DVD RW drive
Windows 7
No monitor

No need for i7 for watching videos, even i5 is overkill. RAM buy cheapest >1333 speed and 8GB, its really cheap. 550W is fine. KB/M I have no idea!

EDIT: also if you're not over clocking you don't need a K series processor and if you are then you need a Z77 mobo not H77

CatPee

i5 3570k
H77
HD7850
Samsung 830 SSD
Phantom 410 Case
Single DVD RW drive
Windows 7
No monitor

His 'multimedia' refers to HD video rendering/editing and other CPU-intensive tasks that would take advantage of hyperthreading, not basic stuff like movies or music. Go with i5 (and a Z77 board).

Also, get a mechanical keyboard.

RedSwirl

No need for i7 for watching videos, even i5 is overkill. RAM buy cheapest >1333 speed and 8GB, its really cheap. 550W is fine. KB/M I have no idea!

Any specific brands or anything I need to go with for RAM. What do most of the people in this thread buy? I'd probably want 8GB.

His 'multimedia' refers to HD video rendering/editing and other CPU-intensive tasks that would take advantage of hyperthreading, not basic stuff like movies or music. Go with i5 (and a Z77 board).

Also, get a mechanical keyboard.

What's the difference with the Z77? And unless it's wireless a mechanical keyboard is out of the question. I'm pretty much always gonna be using thins thing 10-to-15 feet away from the actual tower. Plus, I actually already own an Apple Wireless Keyboard. I just need a wireless mouse and adapter.

scogoth

Any specific brands or anything I need to go with for RAM. What do most of the people in this thread buy? I'd probably want 8GB.

What's the difference with the Z77? And unless it's wireless a mechanical keyboard is out of the question. I'm pretty much always gonna be using thins thing 10-to-15 feet away from the actual tower.

G.Skill for price and Samsung for performance. Z77 allows overclocking of the CPU (which is what the K processors are for). It has some other features like SSD caching. If you already have an apple wireless keyboard grab a magic trackpad and a piece to connect them. Wait 5 min I'll look some up

Thraktor

i5 3570k
H77
HD7850
Samsung 830 SSD
Phantom 410 Case
Single DVD RW drive
Windows 7
No monitor

An i7 would be beneficial if you're creating media, for example doing a lot of Photoshop work or video editing. An i5 is all you need for games and watching videos.

Also, get a Z77 motherboard, as it'll allow you to overclock the i5.

RedSwirl

G.Skill for price and Samsung for performance. Z77 allows overclocking of the CPU (which is what the K processors are for). It has some other features like SSD caching. If you already have an apple wireless keyboard grab a magic trackpad and a piece to connect them. Wait 5 min I'll look some up

I'd rather not use a touchpad, and "Samsung 32nm" is bringing up nothing. Is that for memory?

conman

G.Skill for price and Samsung for performance. Z77 allows overclocking of the CPU (which is what the K processors are for). It has some other features like SSD caching.
If I'm not interested in bothering with overclocking (too much futzing around), is it really a waste to bother with the 3750k? Would it be wiser just to go with a cheaper processor? Could I expect it to last as long without needing an upgrade?

Or should I just suck it up, splurge a bit, and spend the extra effort to overclock?

Been out of the PC building loop for a solid decade. Lots to catch up on.

TheD said:
Is the PSU a good brand?

If so then it is more than enough.
No idea. Probably not since I bought it from Best Buy. It's a BFG GX-550.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
Finally thinking of upgrading my current rig, which was pretty decent for it's time, but is now really starting to show it's age. (Q6600 2.4GHz, GTX 460 1GB, and 4GB DDR2). I'm going to be essentially following the "excellent" build from Hazaro's guide in the OP, aside from the SSD.
The only thing I'm a little reluctant with is the video card. I don't really want to spend more than $250 on one, but I'd want it to be a pretty decent step up from my GTX 460, which is still in excellent condition.
So, should I either hold onto my 460 for the time being, or do you guys have an affordable recommendation that justifies me selling my old GTX 460 for?

scogoth

If I'm not interested in bothering with overclocking (too much futzing around), is it really a waste to bother with the 3750k? Would it be wiser just to go with a cheaper processor? Could I expect it to last as long without needing an upgrade?

Or should I just suck it up, splurge a bit, and spend the extra effort to overclock?

Been out of the PC building loop for a solid decade. Lots to catch up on.

No idea. Probably not since I bought it from Best Buy. It's a BFG GX-550.

Overclocking is stupid easy now even with a stock heatsink but for HTPC + overclocking you would want an aftermarket heatsink to be quieter. So 3750K + Z77 + heatsink or H77 + cheaper processor. K + H77 is a waste of money because intel charges a premium on the K processor for overclocking which can't be done on H77.

sol_bad

Thanks heaps guys.

Posting again in case anyone missed it on the last page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom