• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasmid

The above reddit build is fine, but I like mine overall as a complete package better.
Swap in a BP550 power supply. If you want to cut cost and you won't overclock, get the i5 3450 CPU.
I use this for wireless: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RCKDEC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Pick whatever size monitor you want from this list: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20
64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 8 64-bit should be used.

My main problem is that even with the $754 build i'm nearing almost $900-920 total, with a monitor & operating system haha.

Jharp

Take the your 1k build and sub in mine :D
Also yes both builds gaming performance will be extremely similar.

On why I pick my parts:
830 > Agility. Period.
The CX series is overrated and not that good. HIVE has DOA issues, but are good supplies. BP550 is a solid reliable workhorse.
WD Blue is new and cheap. Green drives can be ok, but if you want one, get the 2TB of it and wdidle to turn off headparking.
GB670 best 670! Love mine.
Might as well get a new Z77 board for that price. Pick one from my Excellent sheet.
Not sure if a CM212+ / EVO will fit in that Rosewill case, but it's the best cooler for the money.
Low Profile RAM as listed helps with heatsink compatability. Heatsinks on RAM are security measures and don't matter.

Okay, I amended my build according to your recommendations, only adding $30 to the sub-total and I'd love some further criticism:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20790465

And can you confirm/assuage my fears with regards to PSU and Case options? My current PC is in a full tower from 2007, and it's pretty cramped in there, but everyone says mid towers have gotten bigger, and full towers have gotten even bigger nowadays. I still can't help but worry with regards to airflow and heat management, though, that a mid tower will be too cramped. You already mentioned that you weren't sure if my heatsink will fit in the case I wanted, so would it be worth it to drop an extra few bucks for a full tower? You'll notice that for the PSU, I went with an Antec 620w, because I fear the BP550 you recommended wouldn't be strong enough, which may be unfounded on my part.

Also, with regards to the video card manufacture, I'm wary of going with anything other than EVGA, just because I've been an EVGA customer for some time now. They're actually local to me, and since buying my 8800GTX in 2007, have replaced it twice free of charge. That's just some awesome fucking customer support right there.

mkenyon

Banned
Go mid tower, my R4 for reference:

nDECzl.jpg

That is the largest single GPU videocard there is in an average sized mid tower. Full towers are for water cooling, XL-ATX, and multicard (3+ cards) setups. My Shinobi XL build for reference (this is an EATX board):

eYJIRl.jpg

Air flow and temps are entirely dependent upon fans, not case size. I think ITX actually makes the most sense for most gaming builds. One step at a time though.

I get that you feel loyalty to EVGA, but there's no point in getting EVGA cards unless you plan on putting them under water or running 3 of them. The EVGA 670/680s are more than twice as loud as some of the better offerings and run significantly warmer to the point that they will down clock unless you ramp up the fan speed to deafening levels.

So my Asus DC2 670 I got back in July died. Just up and cut out video in the middle of a movie and will not work even after letting it cool down in case it was overheating.

How big of a pain in the ass is this going to be to replace?
Not much of one. Contact ASUS.
I found this build on Reddit and i was wanting a second opinion. I'm wanting to play games on high settings THIS GEN (Skyrim, Battlefield, etc).

Ts4qA.png
Not as good as the builds on the OP. Odd choices in some places and some bad picks as far as reliability goes. Looks like it was put together by someone who doesn't know what has the largest impact on performance and doesn't do much tinkering.
What's up with that case? Most I've been able to find is this pic:

BCxsz.png

And almost no place is selling it, the most I could find was a Swiss shop where I got that pic. In newegg, it says the item "has been deactivated" and it's not even in the official Cooler Master websites (neither USA nor Spain) so I'm mildly intrigued.
Everyone jumped the gun on listing it, the embargo isn't up until the 16th. CM reps got active in taking down info.

mATX cube that fits 240mm roads and more. Looks pretty stellar in terms of capabilities, and CM is still unmatched in build quality in large production cases.

Gamble

Ok so after 15 months of having my PC I think I am ready to upgrade but I can't decide on what to go with, I have decided to build a machine myself over blowing a load on the Alienware machines. I had gotten some great feedback in the 2011 thread though I lost track of it so I figured I would repost my build here and wait for the verbal lashing of how crappy my build is:

Radeon HD 6790 IceQ X Turbo Video Card - 154.99
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600-Watt ATX Power Supply - 59.99
Cooler Master NV-692A-KWN2 CM 690 II Nvidia Edition ATX Mid-Tower Case - 99.99
Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT - 99.99
LG 24X DVDRW SATA - 18.99
ASUS F1A75-M LE AMD A Series Motherboard - 99.99
AMD A6-Series AD3650WNGXBOX Quad-Core A6-3650 APU - 119.99
Kingston HyperX Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2 x 4GB) - 79.99 (w/$30 mail-in rebate)
Logitech Wired Keyboard - 19.99

This has suited me well for the last year but I know I can get better performance for the 900 I paid for this was looking to spend around 1200 for the next build and I have learned my lesson with staying away from APUs so an i5 or i7 would be ideal. Oh and a decent monitor would be lovely, playing on a 40+ inch screen isn't as nice as I thought it would be.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My main problem is that even with the $754 build i'm nearing almost $900-920 total, with a monitor & operating system haha.
Well, how firm is your budget?

Grab a $110 monitor on sale, see if you can get a $30 student copy of Win 7/8 or an upgrade copy of Win 8 (Which I think you can do a clean install from) for $15 or $50.

Lose $50 on the CPU with an i5 3450... That's about the only drop I'd condone. You can go cheaper on the case by $20, cheaper on the mobo by $40, but those are decently large drops. That $60 goes a long way for the system as a whole and I'd stick with them if possible.
Okay, I amended my build according to your recommendations, only adding $30 to the sub-total and I'd love some further criticism:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20790465

And can you confirm/assuage my fears with regards to PSU and Case options? My current PC is in a full tower from 2007, and it's pretty cramped in there, but everyone says mid towers have gotten bigger, and full towers have gotten even bigger nowadays. I still can't help but worry with regards to airflow and heat management, though, that a mid tower will be too cramped. You already mentioned that you weren't sure if my heatsink will fit in the case I wanted, so would it be worth it to drop an extra few bucks for a full tower? You'll notice that for the PSU, I went with an Antec 620w, because I fear the BP550 you recommended wouldn't be strong enough, which may be unfounded on my part.

Also, with regards to the video card manufacture, I'm wary of going with anything other than EVGA, just because I've been an EVGA customer for some time now. They're actually local to me, and since buying my 8800GTX in 2007, have replaced it twice free of charge. That's just some awesome fucking customer support right there.
Midtower is more than fine. Parts now don't use that much more power.
I am running my 3570K and 670 right now on a 520w (Was going to borrow a BP550) from work. Under load system draws under 300W iirc.

eVGA needs to slap on some better coolers for me to recommend them. The GB670 runs far too cool and quiet (Mine is silent) at the lowest price to even suggest anything else imo. Plus mine clocks like a beast. Yes, eVGAs service is still good. If that's a big deal then go ahead. For me I rotate my cards decently enough and I've come to appreciate the quiet coolers a lot more.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok so after 15 months of having my PC I think I am ready to upgrade but I can't decide on what to go with, I have decided to build a machine myself over blowing a load on the Alienware machines. I had gotten some great feedback in the 2011 thread though I lost track of it so I figured I would repost my build here and wait for the verbal lashing of how crappy my build is:

Radeon HD 6790 IceQ X Turbo Video Card - 154.99 :[
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600-Watt ATX Power Supply - 59.99 Workable
Cooler Master NV-692A-KWN2 CM 690 II Nvidia Edition ATX Mid-Tower Case - 99.99 :D
ASUS F1A75-M LE AMD A Series Motherboard - 99.99 Uh oh
AMD A6-Series AD3650WNGXBOX Quad-Core A6-3650 APU - 119.99 OH god
Kingston HyperX Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2 x 4GB) - 79.99 (w/$30 mail-in rebate):D

This has suited me well for the last year but I know I can get better performance for the 900 I paid for this was looking so spend around 1100 for the next build and I have learned my lesson with staying away from APUs so an i5 or i7 would be ideal.
Keep your PSU, Case, RAM, and pick parts out from the Enhanced or Excellent build.

Fill out the spec sheet in the OP.

tetromibi

Neo Member
Any suggestions on a headset that is compatible with xbox and PC? I'm not an audiophile, so it doesn't have to be anything crazy....just looking for something wired with a mic.

abq

I'm thinking about building a htpc. Want to use Streacom FC8 for the case. Any suggestions on CPU and mini-ITX board? Cheaper is better. Not intending to do any gaming.

Jharp

Midtower is more than fine. Parts now don't use that much more power.
I am running my 3570K and 670 right now on a 520w (Was going to borrow a BP550) from work. Under load system draws under 300W iirc.

eVGA needs to slap on some better coolers for me to recommend them. The GB670 runs far too cool and quiet (Mine is silent) at the lowest price to even suggest anything else imo. Plus mine clocks like a beast. Yes, eVGAs service is still good. If that's a big deal then go ahead. For me I rotate my cards decently enough and I've come to appreciate the quiet coolers a lot more.

In that case, should I forget the after market heat sink all together? And how expensive/hard is it to rig up water cooling in a mid tower cases?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any suggestions on a headset that is compatible with xbox and PC? I'm not an audiophile, so it doesn't have to be anything crazy....just looking for something wired with a mic.
Not an expert here, but maybe look at some Turtle Beach headsets?
I'm thinking about building a htpc. Want to use Streacom FC8 for the case. Any suggestions on CPU and mini-ITX board? Cheaper is better. Not intending to do any gaming.
I'd look at an A4/A6 AMD APU and mITX mobo. Any requirements? Just Web/Playback/Ripping?
In that case, should I forget the after market heat sink all together? And how expensive/hard is it to rig up water cooling in a mid tower cases?
If your case supports it well, it's doable. AOI solutions like the H60 are popular, but not worth it vs. air imo.

Also on the subject of case grab the 212+:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

And peak around the: Rosewill CHALLENGER, and Bitfenix cases. Just nicer to work in for not much more. I'd recommend you nab one of those + a spare 120mm fan.

beje

Banned
Everyone jumped the gun on listing it, the embargo isn't up until the 16th. CM reps got active in taking down info.

mATX cube that fits 240mm roads and more. Looks pretty stellar in terms of capabilities, and CM is still unmatched in build quality in large production cases.

According to the info I managed to snatch from an italian forum, it looks like it can host even an ATX board so if that's actually the case and the price stays sane (~100€), I might reconsider the Phantom 410 purchase and go with one of these, as I would be able to migrate it to the desk and win a little more space.

t-ramp

No, you'll want an aftermarket cooler. That 92mm one will fit fine, but a typical 120mm cooler ought to as well. Full-blown watercooling is a pain in a lot of mid-towers, but it's typically not worth it anyway.

I'm in the market for a new hard drive that i'll be using almost exclusively for video recording. Newegg has a deal on This hard drive for 110. Is it a good deal?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Why are normal HDDs advertised with SATA 6.0 Gb/s? Is such a data rate even possible with a single non-SSD drive?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah, just web/playback/ripping. Low power consumption.
A4/A6/A8 depending how important cost/power consumption/ and ripping speed are to you.
Can't help on mITX though.
Why are normal HDDs advertised with SATA 6.0 Gb/s? Is such a data rate even possible with a single non-SSD drive?
Cuz its bigger.
I'm in the market for a new hard drive that i'll be using almost exclusively for video recording. Newegg has a deal on This hard drive for 110. Is it a good deal?
I'm still not 100% sure on how TLER impacts a consumer storage drive. That's a great price though on something that is probably not as shit as everything else on the market.

Jharp

If your case supports it well, it's doable. AOI solutions like the H60 are popular, but not worth it vs. air imo.

Also on the subject of case grab the 212+:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

And peak around the: Rosewill CHALLENGER, and Bitfenix cases. Just nicer to work in for not much more. I'd recommend you nab one of those + a spare 120mm fan.

Okay, now please forgive me if I'm being too annoying, I just want to make sure I understand. You're suggesting get the Rosewell Challenger over the Rosewill Redbone? and I should nab the 120mm heatsink you listed over the 92mm one in my current build list? I may buy this system in the coming days, so I just want to be sure I understand fully before I finalize my build.

And on that subject, would I be better served waiting till Black Friday/Cyber Monday, or would I be fine buying now?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm having second thoughts about buying a bitfenix prodigy case. Any idea if they have plans on making a full tower version?
They definitely don't. The rep was telling me they have been working on a mATX case, but that might be a long ways out. What is making you hesitate?
And on that subject, would I be better served waiting till Black Friday/Cyber Monday, or would I be fine buying now?
They haven't been anything to write home about. Sign up for newegg deals and check out ncixus.com for their weekly sales updates. Most of the stuff that gets discounted are things like laptops, monitors, accessories, and the like.
Can't see what it is, but if you are talking about capturing 1080p game play, I'd go with a WD black, RAID0 if possible.

Quadratic

They definitely don't. The rep was telling me they have been working on a mATX case, but that might be a long ways out. What is making you hesitate?

Getting a new motherboard and being limited to 2 sticks of ram are my main concerns. But those are pretty minor concerns. I'm not really unhappy with my current build. Just debating if the cost of going to mini ITX is worth it for just a cosmetic case change.

ss_lemonade

If i was to get a rig, how often are they in need of an update hardware wise? Can someone with little computer knowledge (in coding, overclocking etc) use them with relative ease? I'm wanting a computer that can play skyrim, battlefield, GTA, most recent gen games on high settings but don't want to have to update it and buy a bunch of upgrades very often.
You don't need to upgrade everytime something new comes out. Say for example you were to get something like a 670 + a decent cpu today, I'm pretty that rig will last you for a couple of years. If you feel the need to upgrade, then most of the time the GPU is all that needs changing.

My setup is composed of parts that are like a year or 2 old already (amd 6970, 2500k) but I'm still able to play the latest games at a good enough resolution (1920x1080) on max settings most of the time with perfectly playable framerates

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay, now please forgive me if I'm being too annoying, I just want to make sure I understand. You're suggesting get the Rosewell Challenger over the Rosewill Redbone? and I should nab the 120mm heatsink you listed over the 92mm one in my current build list? I may buy this system in the coming days, so I just want to be sure I understand fully before I finalize my build.

Suggesting you take a gander at some of the OP cases :)
Dropping 1k and getting a cheap case, while budget oriented, don't feel like a good end product.

So just have a look and see if there's anything else you'd like better!

Yes to the 212+

beje

Banned
You don't need to upgrade everytime something new comes out. Say for example you were to get something like a 670 + a decent cpu today, I'm pretty that rig will last you for a couple of years. If you feel the need to upgrade, then most of the time the GPU is all that needs changing.

My setup is composed of parts that are like a year or 2 old already (amd 6970, 2500k) but I'm still able to play the latest games at a good enough resolution (1920x1080) on max settings most of the time with perfectly playable framerates

Exactly this. Anything built with some brains around $600-$800 (the Standard/Enhanced builds in the OP) should serve you for 3- 4 years respectively until you have to start putting some games in mid or maybe low to achieve 60 fps and even then you will most likely destroy future consoles' IQ. Also take into account that when you reach the point where you feel that you need some extra power, you already got stuff like the case, power supply, hard drives, or optical drive that will be good for VERY VERY LONG and that's like $200-300 worth of parts you won't need to replace.

Also think about the money you save selling old parts. If they're good, you can be sure they'll sell because there will always be somebody wanting to build some relative or friend a PC for cheap or put a second GPU for SLI/CF. For example, I recently managed to sell my 4 years old mobo, dual core CPU and RAM after just a week of putting an ad because they were still good parts after all, and got 100 bucks out of them, one third of their original cost. That covered the new mobo!

Hey internet.

It's that time for me too. Current machine's a bit old. Gonna retire this one and use it as a secondary/file server/some other use.

However, for my new build I kinda wanna give water cooling a go. Never done it before. Figure why the fuck not, right?

Does anyone have suggestions for kits? I haven't even firmly decided on further components, I'm just starting to look into the liquid cooling angle.

Is there something I should be looking for in particular with LC kits? I am aware that some loops don't contain reservoirs for some reason, is there a benefit to not having one? Is there a certain type of radiator people prefer for mounting and ease of use?

Any sort of info people have on this shit would be super fantastic.

scogoth

Hey internet.

It's that time for me too. Current machine's a bit old. Gonna retire this one and use it as a secondary/file server/some other use.

However, for my new build I kinda wanna give water cooling a go. Never done it before. Figure why the fuck not, right?

Does anyone have suggestions for kits? I haven't even firmly decided on further components, I'm just starting to look into the liquid cooling angle.

Is there something I should be looking for in particular with LC kits? I am aware that some loops don't contain reservoirs for some reason, is there a benefit to not having one? Is there a certain type of radiator people prefer for mounting and ease of use?

Any sort of info people have on this shit would be super fantastic.

If you want the easy WC, closed loops are just as easy to install as air. Check out corairs stuff. If you want to do wc proper then do lots of research and talk to mkenyon. martinsliquidlab and overclock.net helped me a lot.

EDIT: WC has about 0 practical benefit nowadays and can get very expensive very quick. That being said its tons of fun and looks awesome

mkenyon

Banned
EDIT: WC has about 0 practical benefit nowadays and can get very expensive very quick. That being said its tons of fun and looks awesome
Shhhh, keep that quiet man. Don't scare off the new folks!

Real benefit is all in noise. You can spin fans super super low and achieve temperatures that would be impossible with even the best giant aluminum/copper heatsinks.

What those temps mean in realized performance isn't anything to write home about with Ivybridge or Kepler, which are extremely limited in their overclocking potential. It does mean that you can overclock everything to the silicon's limit without paying the price of heavily increased noise, however.

If you want to start right with a single CPU and GPU, I'd budget about $500 to use good parts that can move forward to future builds. If that sounds like too much to stomach, just stick with nice big heatsinks. The closed loop coolers do nothing outside of aesthetics, and are outperformed on a monetary basis by the standard tower coolers.

scogoth

Shhhh, keep that quiet man. Don't scare off the new folks!

Real benefit is all in noise. You can spin fans super super low and achieve temperatures that would be impossible with even the best giant aluminum/copper heatsinks.

Unfortunately for me I've realized that all that heat instead goes into the air and heats up my room by 3-4C .....

Good ventilation people! Don't live in a room without air return!

xJavonta

Banned
I run Skyrim at 8x AA on my 560Ti, max settings everything (Shadows High though) and it's an almost constant 60 fps. I have a 2500k @ 4.5 GHz though so I don't know if that helps me.
Ahh well there ya go. I heard Skyrim was somewhat intensive for what it was, must have gotten fixed through patches or something. And I don't think AA really puts a strain on your CPU as much as it does your GPU, I could be wrong though.

Getting a new motherboard and being limited to 2 sticks of ram are my main concerns. But those are pretty minor concerns. I'm not really unhappy with my current build. Just debating if the cost of going to mini ITX is worth it for just a cosmetic case change.
Same here. I want this case to take with me to LAN parties so I don't have to lug around my mid tower rig, but I don't really know if I want to spend the money on a new mITX mobo when my current mATX mobo works just fine for what it is.

mkenyon

Banned
BTW, if I can get a hold of someone at EK about the CooledPC competition, hopefully I'll be having my build transferred over to the Limited CSQ category, which means I'll be able to grab two GPU blocks and backplates of my choosing. I have no cards left that I want to put under water (or anything else in this generation actually), so I'm sure we could work out a deal on those 4GB blocks if you are still interested in going full cover.

Also, shameless plug time:

GAF, please please please vote for my build!

Much appreciated! If you hate the facebook integration, I would be so very gratetful if you registered to put in a vote.
Same here. I want this case to take with me to LAN parties so I don't have to lug around my mid tower rig, but I don't really know if I want to spend the money on a new mITX mobo when my current mATX mobo works just fine for what it is.
How about the SG09? PS07 and V354 are really nice and compact too.

xJavonta

Banned
BTW, if I can get a hold of someone at EK about the CooledPC competition, hopefully I'll be having my build transferred over to the Limited CSQ category, which means I'll be able to grab two GPU blocks and backplates of my choosing. I have no cards left that I want to put under water (or anything else in this generation actually), so I'm sure we could work out a deal on those 4GB blocks if you are still interested in going full cover.

Also, shameless plug time:

GAF, please please please vote for my build!

Much appreciated! If you hate the facebook integration, I would be so very gratetful if you registered to put in a vote.

Done

scogoth

That would be amazing! So can I vote multiple times for you?

EDIT: You got 2 votes from me

xJavonta

Banned
How about the SG09? PS07 and V354 are really nice and compact too.

I saw the V354 but didn't see it in stock on Newegg, I'll check Amazon later though. And I saw the PS07 and loved the price, but not so much the case. Same goes for the SG09, good price, just wasn't feeling the case design.

Stellares

I was wondering if I could get feedback on this potential build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/noFx

I don't have that much money, so I prefer cheaper items. I believe 550 to be my max. I'm in the US. I am interested in gaming, but I do not need to run them in the highest settings, I just want stable/acceptable frame rates. 30 fps is fine for me. Additionally, I would be interested in GC/wii emulation.
I wanted parts that weren't too expensive but also weren't going to quickly become obsolete.
I'm not against overclocking, but I'd prefer to use a stock cooler.

Are there any poor choices I selected or better/cheaper alternatives?

Thanks.

xJavonta

Banned
I was wondering if I could get feedback on this potential build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/noFx

I don't have that much money, so I prefer cheaper items. I believe 550 to be my max. I'm in the US. I am interested in gaming, but I do not need to run them in the highest settings, I just want stable/acceptable frame rates. 30 fps is fine for me. Additionally, I would be interested in GC/wii emulation.
I wanted parts that weren't too expensive but also weren't going to quickly become obsolete.
I'm not against overclocking, but I'd prefer to use a stock cooler.

Are there any poor choices I selected or better/cheaper alternatives?

Thanks.

Build an Intel computer if you want to emulate. Nothing less than an i3, an i5 is ideal. I don't know if it's (an i5 build) possible with your budget though, perhaps mkenyon or one of gaf's other PC vets can help.

e: I don't know how that FX-6100 will handle Dolphin/PCSX2 but I've heard bad things about AMD and emus.

e2: Does anyone know how reliable 2TB HDDs typically are? I need one as Steam drive because my 1TB is filling up quickly. Is 5900 RPM a good speed? I currently have a 1TB 7200RPM drive for games, but my OS drive is only 5400RPM.

Xdrive05

Build an Intel computer if you want to emulate. Nothing less than an i3, an i5 is ideal. I don't know if it's (an i5 build) possible with your budget though, perhaps mkenyon or one of gaf's other PC vets can help.

e: I don't know how that FX-6100 will handle Dolphin/PCSX2 but I've heard bad things about AMD and emus.

I second this opinion.

Dolphin/PCSX2 does not like AMD, since they need gobs of single-threaded performance which AMD is not very good at (compared to modern Intel).

If instead you needed a lot of multimedia performance (video/audio encoding, etc.), I would say that processor is far better than Intel at price/performance ratio for that kind of work.

But you can forget about Dophin/GC emulation on AMD. I tried with my Phenom II, and they're not good enough for that type of work.

Xdrive05

I see. Thanks for the advice.

I did see this youtube user playing dolphin with the fx6100:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB59xK6H7cE&feature=channel&

It seems to work for them, but perhaps the graphics card they picked is doing the work.

Doesn't look too bad. You will likely still have some performance issues in places or on certain games, where you definintely wouldn't with Intel. But it does look okay from the video.

But if you want to keep the cost down by going with AMD, I would look into getting a Vishera chip as it's the newer architecture and is superior for not much more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286

or this for the reason DreadPirateRobers stated:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287

Stellares

Thanks for the help. I am going to go for the fx6300.

I was wondering if I could use my TV instead of buying a new monitor. I have a 23 inch Westinghouse LCD. I could use the HDMI connection, right?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Hello, I just bought an AMD3 Phenom II X6 1045T Processor and I was just wondering what type of a solid motherboard I could get to along with it, any ideas? :)

Thanks

Jharp

So I took my build over to /g/ to have them critique and got some interesting feedback. The only recommendation they made that I've committed to is replacing the 212+ with the 212 Evo, since the price difference is negligible, and the Evo is full contact. Besides that, they were saying I ought to go for the 7950, which is not only cheaper than the 670, but outperforms it as well. I used to be a big ATI guy back when my parents bought me two PCs from Dell that both had ATI cards in them, but since building my nVidia system back in 2007, I've loved it as well, and I've heard nothing but talk of ATI falling by the wayside in recent years.

Another interesting tidbit of advice they gave me was to definitely wait till Black Friday for the best possible price. What do you guys think? I kind of want to wait till Cyber Monday, but that will technically be December, which could mean i'll be taking a gamble on my current discounts for Black November.

I'm going to post my current spec list as well as one that /g/ cooked up for me using a 7950 at a total of less than $1000.

me: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20790465
/g/: https://pcpartpicker.com/p/no2P

beje

Banned
Just a stupid question that recently crossed my mind... is it possible to plug PCI-Express x1 devices into PCI-Express x16 slots? They obviously fit as they're exactly the same but shorter, but you're never sure with this stuff.

Edit: derp, just a quick google told me it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom