• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have $1k, the Alienware X51 is a good buy. Outside of that, you're just going to get screwed in one place or another in optimization of good parts. Or you'll pay a stupid premium to get what you need.

They fit different motherboards. ATX = standard size, mATX = ATX board with less expansion slots, ITX = entirely different form factor with a single expansion slot. There's a Small Form Factor Guide in the OP. Let me know if this clears it up, otherwise I can dig up the exact dimensions and some pictures to go along with it.

Yes, you want two sticks of RAM.

*edit*
After re-reading your post -

If you are planning on using more than one expansion slot, then ITX is a bad choice. ITX is good for a huge majority of people building a gaming PC as they'll likely only be using a single expansion slot. Instances where you would want more than one expansion slot are like a soundcard and videocard, two videocards, a RAID card and a videocard, capture device and a videocard, or some less-likely requirement. The only issue with ITX motherboards is that their onboard sound is just okay. If sound is important to you, then you'll want to look into an external DAC/Amplifier, which I built in to the SFF Guide spreadsheets.

ITX is the smallest though, and definitely the way to go for small form factor. I'd argue it's the best choice for most people, and I think we're going to definitely be seeing some more movements towards it in the coming years. We're already getting enthusiast class ITX boards which was something that was previously unheard of.

This is a very helpful post, thanks. I did see the guide and will re-read it, but it didn't seem to as clearly define the differences between the three mobo sizes as your post just did, so thanks for that. Sound is not very important as long as it is capable of playing Pandora/Youtube/abc.com/etc, which I assume modern mobos are very capable of.

I'm essentially building a SFF non-gaming PC for my girlfriend with a budget of <$600. I'm considering the Budget CM Elite 120 build in the post you linked, but going for a slightly cheaper (and cooler/quieter if possible) graphics card, since the 6850 is probably massive overkill for non-gaming usage. I'm almost wondering if the AMD A8-3850 APU or Intel i3 2105 is enough to handle 1080p video + basic internet browsing/word processing?

mkenyon

Banned
<3
This is a very helpful post, thanks. I did see the guide and will re-read it, but it didn't seem to as clearly define the differences between the three mobo sizes as your post just did, so thanks for that. Sound is not very important as long as it is capable of playing Pandora/Youtube/abc.com/etc, which I assume modern mobos are very capable of.

I'm essentially building a SFF non-gaming PC for my girlfriend with a budget of <$600. I'm considering the Budget CM Elite 120 build in the post you linked, but going for a slightly cheaper (and cooler/quieter if possible) graphics card, since the 6850 is probably massive overkill for non-gaming usage. I'm almost wondering if the AMD A8-3850 APU or Intel i3 2105 is enough to handle 1080p video + basic internet browsing/word processing?
I'd most definitely go for an FM2 build if it isn't for gaming.

This proc: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113282 (or A10 if you think there might be some light gaming)
This mobo: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=77267&vpn=FM2A75M-ITX&manufacture=ASRock

There aren't a lot of reviews on the motherboard, but ASRock hasn't had a bad offering in the last 3 years. I wouldn't hesitate buying that for myself.

You can do with a ~150-200W PSU on that build, so you can get really really funky with the cases. This is the one that I had picked out for my next HTPC with an A10.

Even with splurging on the case, you're at ~$460 with an SSD and RAM. That's a fully functioning system.

If you want to go a bit higher on the budget, you could look at the FT03 mini with an SFX PSU from the SFF Guide, and just swap in the parts I linked above. That would give you the overhead of adding in a card for crossfire performance if she ever picks up gaming or even if you want some light comfy couch use.

xJavonta

Banned

I would go with the Intel, but either one of them will be fine for those needs.

I would go with the Intel, but either one of them will be fine for those needs.

Any specific reason Intel over AMD? I've always gone Intel in the past, but at a $40 difference (or $50 for an i3 3225) it'd need to be a fairly noticeable improvement, in my opinion. Reviews seem to suggest that any of the 3 I've mentioned will do just fine, but I certainly don't want to skimp out if it makes a significant difference.

EDIT: I'm noticing the 3850/3870K both are ~100W CPUs but the 2105/3225 are 65/55W respectively, so perhaps they also run a bit cooler which makes a small difference in smaller cases I assume.

LifEndz

Nope not at all. Definitely don't need 16Gb for gaming and the GPU is woefully underpowered for a $300 machine let alone $700 (like 5 year old GPU could do better). Read OP, build your own PC (really not hard, like advanced lego) or pay someone like NCIX $50 to assemble it for you.

Thanks. I'll go through the OP. THe idea of PC gaming and dealing with benchmarks and specs is enough without me having to put the darn thing together myself (although I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as I think it is). I think I'll go the NCIX route and pay someone to assemble it for me. Thanks for the input.

xJavonta

Banned
Any specific reason Intel over AMD? I've always gone Intel in the past, but at a $40 difference (or $50 for an i3 3225) it'd need to be a fairly noticeable improvement, in my opinion. Reviews seem to suggest that any of the 3 I've mentioned will do just fine, but I certainly don't want to skimp out if it makes a significant difference.

Not really. Every AMD processor I've had over the years has been subpar to every Intel processor I've had. Granted, I always got the lower end ones. Call it fanboyism I guess, but 95% of the time Intel > AMD for me. She's not doing anything intensive though, so in her case it really doesn't matter which one she goes with. She could rock an Intel Pentium and still be fine.

Thanks. I'll go through the OP. THe idea of PC gaming and dealing with benchmarks and specs is enough without me having to put the darn thing together myself (although I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as I think it is). I think I'll go the NCIX route and pay someone to assemble it for me. Thanks for the input.

It's like a puzzle, everything just fits. I had to convince my buddy to build his own instead of going prebuilt, he only agreed if I built it with him. After we were done he was shocked at how amazingly simple it is. If you have an old PC lying around, take it apart and put it back together. You'll see how easy it really is (it's actually easier with custom builts than prebuilts since there aren't any "proprietary" parts.)

xJavonta

Banned
Edited post above for some more info.

C'mon now. How about some empiricism and hard fact rather than this kind of attitude?

Well there's this

...Every AMD processor I've had over the years has been subpar to every Intel processor I've had. Granted, I always got the lower end ones. Call it fanboyism I guess...
But when I jumped from a Phenom II X2 to an Intel Core i3, I noticed an improvement immediately. I don't have any benchmarks or anything like that since I don't give a shit about numbers, but in real-world situations I noticed it right away.

Like I said, could be my fanboy attitude towards Intel (had a shitty laptop [MSI GX630] with an Athlon X2 that I absolutely despised, the Athlon bottlenecked everything else.) I've gone Intel since then and haven't had any issues.

mkenyon

Banned
Well yeah, I'd hope you'd see a jump in performance when you go forward like 4 gens. Phenom II X2s are essentially Athlon processors with more cache. They were out when the first Core Duos were.

Anyway, for on-die GPU performance and simplicity of design, I really like trinity a lot. You're not really asking much out of your computer when you are talking about general web usage/videos, so it's almost impossible to make a bad decision in that regard. An SSD would be the largest noticeable increase in performance for that. Just having that bit of rendering edge over what Ivy brings to the table is really nice wiggle room to have. It'll allow maybe a casual jump into something like Limbo.

mkenyon

Banned
Alright, most of the way through an Enhanced build in the BitFenix Outlaw. This case is famazing for $50. Definitely my budget pick now.

Also, after getting used to Gigabyte's heavy copper PCB, this ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 feels cheap. Don't know if I could buy one myself after handling it. Seems like a silly thing to pick on, but that also means there's fewer PCB layers for that circuitry to be separated by. Can't spell good things for the onboard audio.

Sure is pretty though.

tafer

Welp, time to ask the experts for some advice about multiple "issues" I currently have with some builds:

1. SSDs for laptops:
I'm looking for the best overall SSD for a couple of laptops: a MacBookPro (Core i7 SandyBridge) and a Toshiba Satelite Pro (Core i5 SandyBridge).
At this point it seems that the Samsung 830 (256GB) is the best choice, but I want to hear opinions.
Keep in mind that both machines are going to be used for software development and that this upgrade isn't a necessity. If someone thinks that this upgrade is pointless, please let me know! (I'm kinda new with SSDs on laptops)

2. Budget build for my brother:
My brother is currently looking for a PC and I wanted to help him giving him my current GPU and memory while I upgrade my current PC, this is the build I have so far:
- Intel Core i3-3220 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 Ghz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155
- AS Rock LGA1155 Intel Z77 CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 PRO4
- Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive
- Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 Modular Power Supply (For some reason is cheaper than a regular one)
- GTX570 (My current GPU)
- 8GB RAM (1600MHz, my current RAM)

3. Upgrading my PC:
My current PC:
- Intel Core i7 2600k
- ASUS P8P67 LGA 1155
- GTX570 (I'm giving this to my brother)
- Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 Watt
- 8GB RAM 1600MHz (I'm also giving this to my brother)
- 120 GB Intel 320 SSD.
- 640 GB WD HDD for general storage.

This machine is used for games, software development and virtualization.

Considering that I'm upgrading only the memory and the GPU, this is what I think is the best I can get for the moment:
- GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 Windforce OC 2048MB GDDR5 256-bit PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Graphics Card
- Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML16GX3M4A1600C9)

All suggestions or comments are welcome!

Hey guys, I have put together a cart on pccasegear in Aus, so that may be why the prices look high. I am starting out here with absolutely nothing btw, so I need everything! Please excuse the many questions to follow. Does this look like it'll fit together?

I'd like to mainly play current-gen stuff (and probably planetside 2) at 1080p maxed, is the 670 good enough? And would having 4 rather than 2gb of vram make any difference?

I'd also like to emulate ps2 and gcn/wii stuff, should I buy some more serious cooling to overclock the cpu (if that's even necessary)?

Thanks, this thread is really informative!

Ledsen

Hey guys, I have put together a cart on pccasegear in Aus, so that may be why the prices look high. I am starting out here with absolutely nothing btw, so I need everything! Please excuse the many questions to follow. Does this look like it'll fit together?

I'd like to mainly play current-gen stuff (and probably planetside 2) at 1080p maxed, is the 670 good enough? And would having 4 rather than 2gb of vram make any difference?

I'd also like to emulate ps2 and gcn/wii stuff, should I buy some more serious cooling to overclock the cpu (if that's even necessary)?

Did you check the OP and the builds there? The parts there are the best bang for your buck.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Very near to my final build list! Just changed out my PSU for a Seasonic and my case for the ever-so-slightly larger Antec one. The overall price is inching towards $1200, which is nearly $100 more than the same build list I started with, but I'm okay with that.

Please give me as much final criticism as you guys can. Looking to buy this week:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20790465
Solid. Optional swap to the best RAM on the planet if you want.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

If you are concerned about the price, the 7950 3GB is really a very nice card, even more so for the price it is at, and not much slower than a 670. That knocks off a lot on cost and you get 3 games.
That said I really enjoy my GB 670. Silent, low power, and a beast.

Good lord, an i5 and 670 will slay anything. 4GB over 2GB doesn't really matter at 1080p unless you are pushing texture mods and stupid amounts of AA.

212 is more than enough for cooling. Parts are good.

Salacious Crumb

Better and cheaper:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20429

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I'd be way better than fine for at least a year. I'll probably end up getting that Samsung ssd after looking at reviews too.

I'd argue that $60 for RAM is too much.

Tall heat-spreaders are almost a universal nuisance and 1600mhz memory isn't all that useful with Ivy Bridge. You'll get performance gains so minor that you can't tell the difference between the 1600mhz kit you plan to get and a slower 1333mhz kit unless you benchmark.

If you can't immediately tell the difference, what is the point?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd argue that $60 for RAM is too much.

Tall heat-spreaders are almost a universal nuisance and 1600mhz memory isn't all that useful with Ivy Bridge. You'll get performance gains so minor that you can't tell the difference between the 1600mhz kit you plan to get and a slower 1333mhz kit unless you benchmark.

If you can't immediately tell the difference, what is the point?
I agree, but I can't browse that site right now an AUS RAM options suck and are expensive. The $3 difference or sometimes $0 difference of 1600 and 1333 sticks make 1600 the default imo.

I've got a 560Ti (not the 448 core one) and was thinking of upgrading to a 670 or similar around March next year. Would this be a decent upgrade? I'll be playing games at 1080p mostly.

Also, my CPU is an i5-2320 3.00GHz. Will this become a bottleneck for my system if I go through with the GPU upgrade or do I not have to worry?

Voted for that slick SLI build in white and green. I wish I had the disposable income to enter that world...

I did have the disposable income to pull the trigger on that M4 SSD deal, however. Now the one in my box will have a sibling!

After thinking about it for a while, I think I'm going to do an incremental upgrade sometime next year.

My current build

Mobo: mATX Maximus Gene-Z IV
CPU: i5 2500k / Scythe Big Shuriken
RAM: Ripjaws 2x4GB
GPU: GTX 470(EVGA) / reference cooling
PSU: OCZ Modstream 600W
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB x1 (soon to be x2)
Case: Silverstone Grandia GD-05b / 5 fans & controller in optical slot

-Switching from the Silverstone case to a mid tower(probably Arc Midi/Arc Mini/R4)
-Probably putting a Corsair closed loop watercooler on the CPU(currently using Scythe Big Shuriken due to space constraints)
-Adding a GTX 670 with the superior double fan cooler; possibly keeping the 470 for PhysX... don't know if anyone would want a 470 at this point in time anyway
-Possibly adding more RAM since it is dirt cheap(8GB currently)
-considering looking for a bracket converter and putting my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 in there
-It's not modular, but if power is dicey at 650W I have a Corsair TX 650W I could swap in.

Jharp

Solid. Optional swap to the best RAM on the planet if you want.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

If you are concerned about the price, the 7950 3GB is really a very nice card, even more so for the price it is at, and not much slower than a 670. That knocks off a lot on cost and you get 3 games.
That said I really enjoy my GB 670. Silent, low power, and a beast.

Might I ask why you recommend the Samsung RAM over G.Skill? I compared the two and the only difference seems to be timing, which is higher on the Samsung RAM, which I understand means it's worse, doesn't it? Or am I missing something?

And my final biggest worry is the heatsink and case not fitting. Can you put that to rest? :)

Leckan

So what does people think about the long-term prospects of the 7950 vs 670, especially regarding next-gen ports?

The 670 is generally considered the better card (I think?) since it's a fair bit more expensive but the 7950 have 3GB VRAM vs 2. Will that make more of a difference in the future you think?

kennah

Might I ask why you recommend the Samsung RAM over G.Skill? I compared the two and the only difference seems to be timing, which is higher on the Samsung RAM, which I understand means it's worse, doesn't it? Or am I missing something?

And my final biggest worry is the heatsink and case not fitting. Can you put that to rest? :)

The timings listed on the samsung ram are conservative. People have overclocked it to 2133 with aggressive timings.

Basically it runs so cool and fast that it will take anything you throw at it.

FinKL

The timings listed on the samsung ram are conservative. People have overclocked it to 2133 with aggressive timings.

Basically it runs so cool and fast that it will take anything you throw at it.

Was leaning towards the low profile Corsair Vengence, but I want to give this a shot. No fancy heat spreaders, just raw ram almost too good to be true.

There's no 2x8gb sticks?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

OCs to 2133. Low voltage. Low profile.
So what does people think about the long-term prospects of the 7950 vs 670, especially regarding next-gen ports?

The 670 is generally considered the better card (I think?) since it's a fair bit more expensive but the 7950 have 3GB VRAM vs 2. Will that make more of a difference in the future you think?
nVidia is pretty good at ballparking what the avg person needs for vram. 2GB is fine for a large majority except with texture mods and custom/high AA above 1080p.

What are your thoughts on a 7970 with Hitman, Sleeping Dogs and Far Cry 3? It's on sale for $320....but I don't want to upgrade my system in the future when PS4 and Xbox Next roll around. Will it be powerful enough to handle the ports?

I have a AMD 1055t processor :/

kharma45

What are your thoughts on a 7970 with Hitman, Sleeping Dogs and Far Cry 3? It's on sale for $320....but I don't want to upgrade my system in the future when PS4 and Xbox Next roll around. Will it be powerful enough to handle the ports?

Should be plenty powerful.

What about a 7970? You can get one from Newegg (a Sapphire one) for $380 after rebate although the Gigabyte 7950 is $80 cheaper and is still a great card too, and from what I can gather should OC well.

mkenyon

Banned
The Samsung 30nm DDR3 doesn't come in 8GB sticks yet, which is really the only knock there is against them.
Why a gamer would need more than 16GB of RAM is beyond me. Why one would need more than 8 is beyond me. If you're doing multimedia, you should have a quad channel board anyway, which gives you 32GB of RAM on 4GB sticks.

In a year or two, it will make a difference. Folks were saying that the 1GB on the 560Ti was 'plenty' when it released. I still really like the 670 thanks to the low power/heat though.

No one can give you an idea on how it will perform with next gen games. If you want to make purchases for the future, buy a $200 card now, and then a $200 card when time comes to upgrade. Going big to save a future upgrade is risky.

That processor will have to go at some point. You need per thread/core performance, not lots of cores.

No one can give you an idea on how it will perform with next gen games. If you want to make purchases for the future, buy a $200 card now, and then a $200 card when time comes to upgrade. Going big to save a future upgrade is risky.

That processor will have to go at some point. You need per thread/core performance, not lots of cores.

what about a 7950? What do you think of that?

Well I have my PC ordered, however I'm debating on going with Windows 8 or 7. My laptop had Vista on it for the 4 years I have had it (I never really had a problem with it). However, I'm hearing mix reviews on 8 and I am planning on doing games but a lot of 3D and art style work like that. So I'm somewhat conflicted, both the pro 64 bit versions (for a new computer install) are 139 bucks on newegg but I'm just unsure of what to go with. Any help on this one?

scogoth

Well I have my PC ordered, however I'm debating on going with Windows 8 or 7. My laptop had Vista on it for the 4 years I have had it (I never really had a problem with it). However, I'm hearing mix reviews on 8 and I am planning on doing games but a lot of 3D and art style work like that. So I'm somewhat conflicted, both the pro 64 bit versions (for a new computer install) are 139 bucks on newegg but I'm just unsure of what to go with. Any help on this one?

Dont go windows 8. Lots of incompatabilities and issues to be worked out.

ffs, so i just realized that my pc (2600k OC'd to 4.8 with 16gb ram) isn't fast enough to do multi camera edits on adobe premiere. which all 3 are 1080p footage.
the media studio that i started contracting for recommends a dual CPU pc for doing 3 camera edits on premiere.
of course there are less efficient ways on premiere to do cutting, but MCE on premiere is the fastest and most efficient way.

so gaf brosefs, recommend me a not so expensive dual cpu rig.
i already have a 2600k, so i was thinking of pairing it with another 2600k.
and with a dual cpu mobo, can i overclock them and use an aftermarket cpu cooler?
i currently have a silverarrow cpu cooler. i dont think two of those will fit on a mobo.
thanks in advance!

Dont go windows 8. Lots of incompatabilities and issues to be worked out.

Contrary to this guy, I have Windows 8 on my gaming rig and have had no issues or incompatibilities at all after doing a fresh install.

Core i7 940 OC'ed to 3.6ghz
6 GB Ram
GTX 670
2 SSDs
EVGA FTW3 motherboard

I'd recommend it if the new Metro stuff doesn't scare you away.

I'm still a bit on the fence for my mITX build, but am wondering what GAF thinks? Here is what I want out of the build:

• Not super loud
  • Not super hot
  • Obviously, not super large
  • 1080p video playback (Youtube, Netflix, etc)
  • MS Office-usage
  • Light web browsing
  • Pandora/iTunes
  • No video gaming at all

The budget is ~$650, including my student discounted Microsoft Windows purchase, stereo speakers, and a monitor (something >21" and hopefully 1080p).

Current component list:
Case: CM Elite 120 - $60
Mobo: ASRock FM2 mITX - ~$105 it looks like... but the problem is, both NewEgg and TigerDirect are out of stock. Any one have a suggestion on this front or have any guess if they'll ever be back in stock?
CPU + GPU: AMD A8-5500 - $105
RAM: 1x4 GB Samsung 1600 DDR3 - $18 (Should I get 2x2 GB instead?)
HDD: We have a 2-year old laptop HDD that I'm going to use; I need to double check that it has the right connections, but it's new enough that I think it will b a-okay.
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120 GB - $100 (seems like there are constantly good deals on SSDs these days though, so this is very tentative to change)
Power Supply: 400 W PC Power & Cooling Modular - $40 after -$10 code and $20 rebate (I know 400W is overkill for this system, but it's the lowest I can find that is also modular & from a decent company).

Total from the above is = $428, plus $10 for a laptop HDD mount = $438 after shipping and taxes. That leaves me about $210 for Windows, speakers, and a monitor (already have a keyboard and mouse). I can get Windows 7 for about $70 or a bit less from my school, leaving me ~$140 for a monitor and some inexpensive stereo speakers to stay under or near $650. I'd love to get Windows 8, but does anyone have any idea where I can pick it up for a clean install? Seems like they're only offering upgrade packs right now.

mkenyon

Banned
So, dual proc boards are dual Xeon workstation boards. You're looking at socket 1366 or 2011. You will also need a case that can hold the giant boards, as they are an entirely different form factor.

You can go 1366 and score a good deal on some used 1366 Xeon procs and grab an EVGA SR-2, or go 2011 with the ASUS Z9PE-D8. You can't overclock 2011 Xeon processors at all, but they'll still outpace the 1366 procs.
I'm still a bit on the fence for my mITX build, but am wondering what GAF thinks? Here is what I want out of the build:

• Not super loud
  • Not super hot
  • Obviously, not super large
  • 1080p video playback (Youtube, Netflix, etc)
  • MS Office-usage
  • Light web browsing
  • Pandora/iTunes
  • No video gaming at all

The budget is ~$650, including my student discounted Microsoft Windows purchase, stereo speakers, and a monitor (something >21" and hopefully 1080p).

Current component list:
Case: CM Elite 120 - $60
Mobo: ASRock FM2 mITX - ~$105 it looks like... but the problem is, both NewEgg and TigerDirect are out of stock. Any one have a suggestion on this front or have any guess if they'll ever be back in stock?
CPU + GPU: AMD A8-5500 - $105
RAM: 1x4 GB Samsung 1600 DDR3 - $18 (Should I get 2x2 GB instead?)
HDD: We have a 2-year old laptop HDD that I'm going to use; I need to double check that it has the right connections, but it's new enough that I think it will b a-okay.
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120 GB - $100 (seems like there are constantly good deals on SSDs these days though, so this is very tentative to change)
Power Supply: 400 W PC Power & Cooling Modular - $40 after -$10 code and $20 rebate (I know 400W is overkill for this system, but it's the lowest I can find that is also modular & from a decent company).

Total from the above is = $428, plus $10 for a laptop HDD mount = $438 after shipping and taxes. That leaves me about $160 for Windows + a monitor (already have a keyboard and mouse). I can get Windows 7 for about $70 or a bit less from my school, leaving me ~$140 for a monitor and some inexpensive stereo speakers to stay under or near $650. I'd love to get Windows 8, but does anyone have any idea where I can pick it up for a clean install? Seems like they're only offering upgrade packs right now.

Buy the FM2 board from NCIXUS.

Yes, you should get two sticks of RAM.

Samsung 840/830>Crucial M4>Corsair Force 3/GT>everything else for an SSD. The 840 is on sale for $80 today on Newegg,

You can do a clean install of Win 8 from an upgrade, iirc.

scogoth

Contrary to this guy, I have Windows 8 on my gaming rig and have had no issues or incompatibilities at all after doing a fresh install.

Core i7 940 OC'ed to 3.6ghz
6 GB Ram
GTX 670
2 SSDs
EVGA FTW3 motherboard

I'd recommend it if the new Metro stuff doesn't scare you away.

There is no benefit to windows 8 for gaming plus losing the start menu makes it needlessly diffiult to use a mouse and keyboard for launching. I clean installed, asus audio drivers didnt work, mumble has issues, nvidia surround has issues, benchmarking is slower and it goes on. Why bother making your desktop experience worse and have possible issues? Stick with win 7

Avallon

I just ordered my new rig that will be arriving tomorrow. My first custom desktop. How'd I do:

• CASE: "CM Storm Enforcer - Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 Ports (SGC-1000-KWN1)"
  • MOTHERBOARD: "AS Rock LGA1155 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Quad CrossFireX and Quad SLI A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 EXTREME4"
  • CPU COOLER: "Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)"
  • FAN: "Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Red LED Computer Case Fan (R4-LUS-07AR-GP)"
  • GPU: "EVGA GeForce GTX680 SuperClocked 2048MB GDDR5, DVI, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-way SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2682-KR"
  • HDD: "Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX"
  • POWER SUPPLY: "Thermaltake SMART Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze Certified Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC ATX 750 Power Supply SP-750M"
  • CPU: "Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K"
  • RAM: "Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML16GX3M2A1600C10)"
  • DVD: "Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive - Bulk - IHAS124-04 Version C (Black)"
  • SSD: "Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s with Data Transfer Kit CT128M4SSD2CCA"

I already have an OS disc, mouse, keyboard, wireless card, and monitor.
How important is a sound card? I typically play with headphones.

There is no benefit to windows 8 for gaming plus losing the start menu makes it needlessly diffiult to use a mouse and keyboard for launching. I clean installed, asus audio drivers didnt work, mumble has issues, nvidia surround has issues, benchmarking is slower and it goes on. Why bother making your desktop experience worse and have possible issues? Stick with win 7

I find that my framerates are the same as they were on Windows 7, a little better in some games even. No driver incompatibilities or issues for me, everything worked great.

The Start screen is fine when you get used to it. Its really just a full-screen start menu. If it bothers you that much you can add a Start menu replacement anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom