• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

24hrDailyDeal-20130226_Intel-BDL3570KZ77VLK.png

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_3570K_Z77VLK

3570K with Asus P8Z77-V LK for $330 before $15 rebate. I was hoping for a better deal. It's basically $45 off the price of the two of them. But, not bad if you're in the market. Cheapest you'd find in the country. (and still loads more than Microcenter)

so back to the MPower vs Asrock Extreme 4 vs maximus V debacle I've been in.

I can't put my capture card and a sound card on the maximus since it's only got 1 pci express slot.

So Is the Mpower worth it over the extreme 4? (money is non issue for me)

Yes. Extreme 4 is an entry level oc board, and not made with the same standard of components as the MPower.

If nothing else, it's worth it for a thicker (non-warping) pcb. If that isn't enough, well, it has better power phase, higher quality components, built-in wifi/bluetooth.

B.K.

I'm pretty sure my PC has some malware. Since I'm going to have to format and reinstall everything anyway, I was thinking of ordering a SSD. I want to build a new PC in the next couple years. If I order a SSD and use it for my OS, would it be okay to format it later and use it as the SSD in my new system?

Koroviev

I'm pretty sure my PC has some malware. Since I'm going to have to format and reinstall everything anyway, I was thinking of ordering a SSD. I want to build a new PC in the next couple years. If I order a SSD and use it for my OS, would it be okay to format it later and use it as the SSD in my new system?

Don't see why not, although SSDs will probably be even cheaper by then.

LegendX48

the upgrade bug is a cruel mistress. So, current specs are:

ASUS M5A97 motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE oc'd to 4.0ghz with a CM Hyper 212+ heatsink in push/pull
7950 oc'd to 1110/1500 (at the moment anyway, still playing around with this)
4gb Corsair XMS3 ram at 1600mhz
750 watt Antec PSU

Anyway, after a talk with a friend, I have basically decided that I will be switching to intel around the summer time or so. So, my main question is what would be the better option, the i5 3570k or the i7 3770k? It would be for gaming, heavy photoshop use, some Illustrator and maybe some indesign.

Smokey

ASUS M5A97 motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE oc'd to 4.0ghz with a CM Hyper 212+ heatsink in push/pull
750 watt Antec PSU

Anyway, after a talk with a friend, I have basically decided that I will be switching to intel around the summer time or so. So, my main question is what would be the better option, the i5 3570k or the i7 3770k? It would be for gaming, heavy photoshop use, some Illustrator and maybe some indesign.

For your situation the 3770k would be better. The extra threads, which the 3750k doesn't have, will be put to good use with your multimedia activities.

You'd want to go 3570k if your machine was just for gaming.

Okay, I'm almost complete ordering components for my new system. The components I have thus far are:
Motherboard: MSI Big Bang Xpower ii
Processor: i7 3930k
Memory: 32 GB (8GB x 4) G.Skill Ripjaws series Z (1866)
Storage: Samsung 840 500GB SSD
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1050W
Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Series Trooper

I still need to order a graphics card, cooling solution and additional storage

I've been looking at the Nvidia GTX680, which is the best brand to get?
The computer will be used mainly for 3d rendering, 3d animation, and cs6

Also what's some good cooling solutions?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A bit? I would hope that a bit counts as more than 10 minutes. Or I'm worried about having damaged my nice graphics card stupidly.

If it is almost certain I damaged my card and somewhat lowered the performance or worse, I'm probably never running Furmark again for more than 3 minutes unless I have insane fans. Also possibly replacing my GPU for a HD 7970 finally and throwing my hd 6870 in a home theatre PC with an HDMI capture card(I'm looking for one of those, by the way. As I want to record PC gaming footage without fraps, and also essentially play and record PlayStation 3 footage on my PC.)

I've noticed there is, in fact, a decent amount of dust stuck in the aluminum or whichever covering right beneath the fan. I've been looking all night/morning for some of those tiny screwdrivers to remove the fan. I may just have to go to town and buy some more, as well as stock up on canned air.

Also, as it turns out there's some dust stuck between the nodes in my pci-express slot. Is there any safe way to get that out? Would a toothpick work? I feel like that shouldn't be there.

By the way, thanks a lot for the help. I've been pretty worried and still worried.
Grab two cans of compressed air from an office store / Best Buy / Wal Mart. Clean it all out! Hold the fans in place if possible while cleaning.
Buddy of mine is looking to put a PC together and he picked out these parts with soem mixing matching. I think he's trying to stay around this price point, doesn't need crazy performance or high specs for most games... He's more into humble bundle stuff and games that are a few years older.

THoughts?
Also, what do you think for a power supply for that?
BP550. Looks solid.
:D
What would you guys consider good temps on a CPU for idle, gaming and a Prime95 stress test?
CPU idle: <40C acceptable, aim for under 35C.
Gaming (Depends on game): Usually 5-10C lower than artificial load
Artificial Load (Prime/ OCCT /Orthos) : <65C is good
Friend is ready to build a new desktop. I put together these parts last night. His budget is ~$1,000. Is this a solid build for his budget?
2570K instead of 2500K. I dislike the Seagate drives and the company line-up atm. BP550 instead of TX.

I'd just grab the 1k build parts tbh :D
I'm currently putting together for a new PC rig with help from this thread and I'd like some feedback as to whether the selected components are solid overall (or rather: synergize well). The main goal behind this is to have a build that'll be future-proof / last me for approximately 3 - 5 years before I'd feel the need to upgrade again when the time comes.

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R
PSU: Corsair CX750W - 80 PLUS Bronze - Silent
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS
Processor: Intel i7-3770K 3,5 GHz
Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212+
GPU: GeForce nVidia GTX 670 2GB GDDR5
SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 128 GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB
Sound card: ASUS Xonar DGX

To fill out the bullet list in the OP:

- Current specs irrelevant, as they are approximately 4 - 5 years old at this point and won't be used for gaming anymore after purchasing the new PC.

- The above build would be mainly used 'heavy' gaming including running emulation software right up to Dolphin (GC / Wii) and video editing alongside HD streaming / recording somewhere in the near future. Other tasks won't be as demanding, so no point to elaborate.

- I want to run my games at 1080p & 60 frames per second. Unlikely I'll be getting a bigger monitor any time soon. 30 FPS would also be acceptable if a game comes around that'd really push the system.

- I guess the most demanding games I have in mind would be The Witcher 2 and ARMA III; no real interest in Crysis or Battlefield due to Origin. Contemplating the recent Assassin's Creed games, Trackmania 2 and Far Cry 3.

- I'm avoiding AMD GPU's, on a sidenote. I (and some people I know) haven't been happy with 'em and nVidia seems to have better drivers / game optimization overall.

- I'd like to buy the above parts very soon. I've been holding off on upgrading for a long time as I expected price drops or newer models to appear, but I figured now would be a good time with both nVidia and AMD recently confirming that they're delaying their next GPU lines 'til next year IIRC.

- I intend to make use of overclocking as well.

One particular 'problem' I already have though, lies with the case mentioned in my list. I know that the Corsair Carbide 200R is one of the recommendations in the OP, but I'd like to know how accurate the following article is:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6515/corsair-carbide-200r-case-review-how-low-can-you-go/5

my main concern lies with (although it is claimed to be competitive relative to its price) it supposedly not providing suitable cooling for the videocard, on top of an allegedly serious heat issue for SSD's. Even without overclocking... I know next to nothing about cases, but this'd be worrisome (especially during the summer) if accurate. If this is a genuine flaw, which other case would be recommended then? I'm looking for maintaining good performance, though being able to keep the noise levels down would (while not -that- important) of course be welcome.

I think that about wraps it up. Not sure if I've missed some important information necessary for specific advice.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the good post :)
Makes it so much easier to help.

I'd take a better PSU over a CX (low end) for sure (See: Enthusiast build sheet). I can't believe ASUS made another Z77 SKU. Jesus Christ. I'd get the ASRock mobo listed there or the LK if you want ASUS (imo ASUS quality is way down sans their high end boards).
Get a 1TB Blue at least and make sure that is backed up (Faster and like $10 more for doubled storage).
Although you mentioned avoiding AMD, the 7970 is by far the best value and drivers have improved a lot. If you want nVidia you can get a GTX680 4GB used from people selling theirs to buy Titans :p
Those issues aren't really issues at all, just buy more fans. All you need is a side intake and an top or rear exhaust and you are fine. Extra is better. Pick whatever fluid bearing ones you like in your color scheme. The Arctic F12's are nice and cheap. Overclocking today (at sane voltages) produces much less heat than it did previously.

You'll enjoy your new build very much. Especially the emulation!

ASUS M5A97 motherboard
750 watt Antec PSU

Check back in summer and see where Intel's next CPU stands.

Budget is obviously important. If you are spending $700 or $1200 you want to make compromises. If you've got the cash drop it on the 3770K.
Although your motherboard supports the FX-8350 which could be very serviceable for just $200 (Should OC better on your mobo), and get another 4GB of RAM in there.
Okay, I'm almost complete ordering components for my new system. The components I have thus far are:
Motherboard: MSI Big Bang Xpower ii
Processor: i7 3930k
Memory: 32 GB (8GB x 4) G.Skill Ripjaws series Z (1866)
Storage: Samsung 840 500GB SSD
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1050W
Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Series Trooper

I still need to order a graphics card, cooling solution and additional storage

I've been looking at the Nvidia GTX680, which is the best brand to get?
The computer will be used mainly for 3d rendering, 3d animation, and cs6

Also what's some good cooling solutions?
GeForce TITAN :D (No, really. Compute is godlike.) If you are picking a GTX680 4GB vendor, then tmk the ASUS, MSI, GB are all ok. MSI tweaked some of their 660Ti/670 voltages though, so if you don't want to support that go ASUS/GB. (ASUS looks a lot nicer imo).
Cooling solution... Honestly on a rig like that, buy what you think looks nicest and doesn't suck. Corsair makes a neat looking package with their AIO water stuff and AF fans with color rings. H80i / H100i depending where you want the exhaust. Larger area gives you more wiggle room with quieter fans.
"Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1050 W" - I have to say you should get something more recent as the cables on this don't look great. Seasonic X or Corsair AX series. (As a bonus you can get colored sleeved PSU cables in Black, White, Red, or Blue) http://www.corsair.com/en/professio...ndividually-sleeved-modular-cables-white.html

When I see that much money dropped it should be a bit more special imo.

Anton668

strange thing, seems the new build doesnt recognize the mouse as it is. it just comes up as generic mouse. when I open the macro program it wont register. the old build saw it just fine and just for shits i just plugged it into the gf's lappy and it showed up just fine. so... where do i start looking to fix this?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
strange thing, seems the new build doesnt recognize the mouse as it is. it just comes up as generic mouse. when I open the macro program it wont register. the old build saw it just fine and just for shits i just plugged it into the gf's lappy and it showed up just fine. so... where do i start looking to fix this?
Use a USB 2.0 port on the back of the PC. See if that works.

Anton668

gigabyte aivia mouse
ASRock extreme 4 MB
Win 7 x64

last build was a gigabyte MB and the gf's lappy is a asus.

just put the new build together and got the latest drivers and such off the website. only thing I havent done is flash the bios

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
gigabyte aivia mouse
ASRock extreme 4 MB
Win 7 x64

last build was a gigabyte MB and the gf's lappy is a asus.

just put the new build together and got the latest drivers and such off the website. only thing I havent done is flash the bios
Try a hard shut down, then turn it back on.

If that's a no go try using the ASRock USB utilities to either boost or not boost USB power, or enable/disable USB power while off.

Alacrity

Neo Member
I'm thinking about going with the bitfenix shinobi xl for case, not planning on water cooling right off the bat, but want to keep my options open. I really like the styling, and the fact that it has spectre fans in it already. Anything else I should know about the case?

cripterion

Is there really a benefit of buying a dedicated sound card in this day and age? Would it offload some ressources when playing games and is the sound quality that much better than onboard sound? (for the 50-60 euro sound cards).

GeForce TITAN :D (No, really. Compute is godlike.) If you are picking a GTX680 4GB vendor, then tmk the ASUS, MSI, GB are all ok. MSI tweaked some of their 660Ti/670 voltages though, so if you don't want to support that go ASUS/GB. (ASUS looks a lot nicer imo).

+1 on this.

the Compute performance is going to be impressive on 3D modeling software (Maya, 3DSM, iRay, vRay, etc.), CS6, and just about all video encoding/transcoding/editing applications.

alternately, the 7970 is going to also give very, very impressive compute performance for half the price. Not quite as good as the Titan's, but damn close given the price disparity. Game performance on the 7970 is no slouch either. But if you think you'll be able to afford *2* Titans for SLI down the road, that is clearly the best path forward right now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm thinking about going with the bitfenix shinobi xl for case, not planning on water cooling right off the bat, but want to keep my options open. I really like the styling, and the fact that it has spectre fans in it already. Anything else I should know about the case?
I used a Sinobi in a build. Love it for the price no questions.

masterkajo

ordered 1GB XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition £134 shipped + Tomb Raider + bioshock Infinite....great deal I feel.

Sound good. I am debating myself if I should upgrade from a HD 5770 to either a HD 7850 or 7870. It will probably be a short term solution for about the next 2 years until I have enough money to afford living on my own and built a new PC. Would the 7850 suffice for that? Or is the gap from the 5770 to 7850 not very big? Should I rather take a 7870?

kharma45

Sound good. I am debating myself if I should upgrade from a HD 5770 to either a HD 7850 or 7870. It will probably be a short term solution for about the next 2 years until I have enough money to afford living on my own and built a new PC. Would the 7850 suffice for that? Or is the gap from the 5770 to 7850 not very big? Should I rather take a 7870?

Gap between 7850 and 5770 is significant, it's what I went from to. 7870 is bad value whilst the 7870XT exists.

Just got an email from DPD and my GPU won't be here until tomorrow :( and i'll be working :(

See if you can change the delivery address to your work.

neoanarch

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $366.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-26 05:52 EST-0500)

My current system is being complete ass, and I want to build a new one. Not having a huge budget though. I'm going with that and reusing a case, hdd and video card(5750, yes terrible it was a replacement for broken card). All to be replaced at a later date. The microcenter bundle deal for cpu+mb should make it about 30 cheaper. Not sure if its worth my day off and travel time though. I live at least an hour from there.

Any major issues I'm missing?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Dude. I am so sorry. But the 7770 is lowest recommended card. Go for that or the 7850 if you want somethinng that would transfer to a better computer later

I dunno. I can say that my friend has an Athlon X2 + 4830 build that we put together that still allows for some low-setttings gaming enjoyment. I wouldn't worry too much about the particular card you get, but the 7750 would not be a terrible choice.

I'm so confused right right now! But now that i look at the prices the XFX Radeon HD7770 is only slightly more expensive that the 7750, maybe i should go with 7770 specially since they only have two on stock right now. Thanks guys.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $366.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-26 05:52 EST-0500)

My current system is being complete ass, and I want to build a new one. Not having a huge budget though. I'm going with that and reusing a case, hdd and video card(5750, yes terrible it was a replacement for broken card). All to be replaced at a later date. The microcenter bundle deal for cpu+mb should make it about 30 cheaper. Not sure if its worth my day off and travel time though. I live at least an hour from there.

Any major issues I'm missing?
Can you get a VP450 instead for the PSU? How much more is an XFX Core 450/550 or Antec BP550? The builder series are cheap for a reason :/

Otherwise good.
Is there really a benefit of buying a dedicated sound card in this day and age? Would it offload some ressources when playing games and is the sound quality that much better than onboard sound? (for the 50-60 euro sound cards).
There's more you can fiddle with, it can help with mic static, volume, driving power (onboard amps on some). For most I would say it is not needed, but nice to have.
I'm so confused right right now! But now that i look at the prices the XFX Radeon HD7770 is only slightly more expensive that the 7750, maybe i should go with 7770 specially since they only have two on stock right now. Thanks guys.
If you are spending under $100 the used market is where to look. You'll get at least 150% more horsepower for your money. GTX 560 / 560Ti / 660 / 6870 / 6950 / 7850 etc.

noomi

Does anyone have any insight on the corsair h60i?

Currently using a Hyper TX3, and while it cools pretty decently for me (4.3GHz oc with 1.225v 30idle, 65 load), I want just a little more. I like the h60i since it's not that huge and easy to setup, but the horrors I see on the web about the pump being super noisy is very disappointing, and it turning me away. Seems everyone and their grandmother are having pump noise issues with the h60.

Did not go for the 212 evo cause it's friggin' huge for my case and blocks my ram :(

So h60i, yay or nay?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Does anyone have any insight on the corsair h60i?

Currently using a Hyper TX3, and while it cools pretty decently for me (4.3GHz oc with 1.225v 30idle, 65 load), I want just a little more. I like the h60i since it's not that huge and easy to setup, but the horrors I see on the web about the pump being super noisy is very disappointing, and it turning me away. Seems everyone and their grandmother are having pump noise issues with the h60.

Did not go for the 212 evo cause it's friggin' huge for my case and blocks my ram :(

So h60i, yay or nay?
You can slide the fan up on the 212. Should give you clearance unless the HS is like 2mm from your side door. Honestly that's a good chip already, you can't boost it more on the TX3?

noomi

You can slide the fan up on the 212. Should give you clearance unless the HS is like 2mm from your side door. Honestly that's a good chip already, you can't boost it more on the TX3?

I tried for 4.4GHz but kept getting BSOD and crashes. Was getting temps upwards of 72+, and the voltage was sitting around 1.288 which was a bit too high for my liking. I ended up settling for 4.3Ghz.

I know the general consensus is that the 212+ is great, but I really want to make the move to liquid cooling. If I honestly won't see much of a difference in temps going from the tx3 to h60, then I'll just stay with what I got.

Hey PCGaf

So I'm looking to upgrade a single part - I do lots of YouTube and streaming stuff.

What is the best current CPU that's not stupid expensive for rendering, recording and streaming?

mkenyon

Banned
Hey PCGaf

So I'm looking to upgrade a single part - I do lots of YouTube and streaming stuff.

What is the best current CPU that's not stupid expensive for rendering, recording and streaming?
1) Do you have an Avermedia HD? If not, get one.

2) AMD FX-8350. Not as good for gaming though.

mkenyon

Banned
The amount of stress you end up putting on your CPU is fairly significant enough to kill performance in a lot of games, especially those that are CPU bound.

Check out twitch.tv/kudochop. Streaming PS2 @ 60FPS with zero performance hit.

Heysoos

So, Sapphire HD 7950 or EVGA GTX 660Ti OC? I keep hearing mixed reviews. So I thought I'd ask you guys.

The 7950 comes with Crysis 3 and Bioshock, so that seems like the much better buy, but performance is the most important for me. Any advice?

catabarez

So I am looking at that monster CPU fan from Noctua and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it? Any downsides to it besides the size?

mkenyon

Banned
This is my first time building a computer, so I'm mostly going by what's been recommended in the OP.
It's intended for enthusiast builds. 2-3 GPUs, people who push their CPUs to the limit, overclocking RAM, that sort of thing. If you just want to put something together and have it work great, the Extreme 4 or P8Z77V-LK is the way to go.
So I am looking at that monster CPU fan from Noctua and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it? Any downsides to it besides the size?
It's overkill.

Heatsink protip here:

The heatsink itself doesn't determine how quiet it is. That can play a factor in how well it cools at a given RPM with a given set of fans. But, if you want something just as quiet as the Noctua that will take your Ivy proc to the heatwall, get a Hyper 212 with a nice fan like the Arctic Cooling F12, Corsair SP 120, or Noctua NF-F12. Saves you $40, and runs just as quiet.

kinggroin

Banned
Any major architecture changes coming down the line for Intel or AMD (LOL) that would make waiting to pull the trigger, a good idea? Has well doesn't seem like a big leap

DJ_Lae

I picked up a Xonar DG a few weeks back to try and fix some of the static I was getting at high volumes.

Thing sounds fantastic with headphones and was dirt cheap (less than $30). That's probably its biggest benefit.

mkenyon

Banned
Any major architecture changes coming down the line for Intel or AMD (LOL) that would make waiting to pull the trigger, a good idea? Has well doesn't seem like a big leap
There are two things that make Haswell a possible leap.

1) The VRM is being moved to the die itself, which will allow for an extremely precise power delivery. This means possible huge increases in overclock headroom.

2) There have been rumors that the BCLK will be adjustable which means overclocking of non K chips.

It's speculation, and nothing we will know for certain until release.

It's intended for enthusiast builds. 2-3 GPUs, people who push their CPUs to the limit, overclocking RAM, that sort of thing. If you just want to put something together and have it work great, the Extreme 4 or P8Z77V-LK is the way to go.

It's overkill.

Heatsink protip here:

The heatsink itself doesn't determine how quiet it is. That can play a factor in how well it cools at a given RPM with a given set of fans. But, if you want something just as quiet as the Noctua that will take your Ivy proc to the heatwall, get a Hyper 212 with a nice fan like the Arctic Cooling F12, Corsair SP 120, or Noctua NF-F12. Saves you $40, and runs just as quiet.

does the extra fan on the Hyper 212 really help out?

JoseDFrog

Banned
So, Sapphire HD 7950 or EVGA GTX 660Ti OC? I keep hearing mixed reviews. So I thought I'd ask you guys.

The 7950 comes with Crysis 3 and Bioshock, so that seems like the much better buy, but performance is the most important for me. Any advice?

I just did a sidegrade from a GTX 670 to an HD 7950 and I'm getting better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom