• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejeezy24

Neo Member
GUYS PLEASE HELP!
built a pc a few weeks ago with no issues but now it says nvidia kernal mode driver crashed and then recovered and messes up what ever im doing in game or not. even when the gpu is at minimum load and temps are fine. still get decent fps in games. I cant figure this out. Tried 3 different drivers. unistalled pervious ones all the way.unistalled recent windowsupdates monitored clock and temps while playing and it seems completly random... help!!!

specs
win7 64bit
zotac gtx 670
i7 3770k
asrock extreme 4
840 pro ssd
8gb samsung ram

helppppp ive tried everything at this point. its an error at the bottom right that pops up and says nvidia kernal mode driver crashed and then recovered.

catmincer

- I'm avoiding AMD GPU's, on a sidenote. I (and some people I know) haven't been happy with 'em and nVidia seems to have better drivers / game optimization overall.

Pretty sure if you want just the one GPU a 7970 performs way better than a 670 nowadays? From what I can tell since AMD started doing less frequent, better updates to drivers it's been a non issue. Plus free games.

If you must go Nvidia, I would suggest something with 3GB vram minimum especially with new consoles potentially being able to allocate higher to amounts of ram to video alone.

(mat)

I know little-to-nothing about PC building, and frankly, all the tech talk hurts my head.

I'm looking for something reliable, fast, and affordable. (Duh.)

I'm considering having URL="http://www.memoryexpress.com/SystemConfig/Default.aspx"]Memory Express[/URL] build me a computer, but I'm trying to do it as close to $1000 as possible. I have no idea what the hell I want in there.

I don't do a lot of gaming, although that may just be because my current PC struggles with it. I will most likely play the occasional game, but nothing too extensively, or too demanding.

My main thing is speed and multitasking. I want to be able to hook up my 2 monitors and switch different programs back and forth with ease. Something that won't take twelve years to start up/switch between programs.

If anyone would like to help me with this, I'd be very appreciative. I want to get the most bang for my buck, obviously.

DTKT

helppppp ive tried everything at this point. its an error at the bottom right that pops up and says nvidia kernal mode driver crashed and then recovered.

How do you uninstall your drivers? CCcleaner, Nvidia uninstaller? Which drivers did you try?

Koroviev

Pretty sure if you want just the one GPU a 7970 performs way better than a 670 nowadays? From what I can tell since AMD started doing less frequent, better updates to drivers it's been a non issue. Plus free games.

Yep. AMD is the way to go for single-GPU configurations.

kennah

I know little-to-nothing about PC building, and frankly, all the tech talk hurts my head.

I'm considering having URL="http://www.memoryexpress.com/SystemConfig/Default.aspx"]Memory Express[/URL] build me a computer, but I'm trying to do it as close to $1000 as possible. I have no idea what the hell I want in there.

I don't do a lot of gaming, although that may just be because my current PC struggles with it. I will most likely play the occasional game, but nothing too extensively, or too demanding.

My main thing is speed and multitasking. I want to be able to hook up my 2 monitors and switch different programs back and forth with ease. Something that won't take twelve years to start up/switch between programs.

If anyone would like to help me with this, I'd be very appreciative. I want to get the most bang for my buck, obviously.

MemEx is good. Where are you? If you're in Winnipeg I'll help you do it.

Koroviev

My suggestions are 8GB RAM, 3570K,128GB SSD, and 2GB 7850 for starters.

Can someone tell me what these cables are for?

oayqXxx.jpg

kennah

Much appreciated, but I'm in Edmonton.

Still, any advice you can give based on the link I posted, and what to choose, I'd really be quite thankful.

Read the OP young one :)

ALSO! Memory Express is having a hugely discounted 3570K with Asus P8Z77-LK motherboard combo tomorrow. We won't know the price for another 6 hours or so, but it will likely be worth picking up along with other stuff. I'll throw something together in the system configurator but please please fill out the survey in the OP (right under Builds) and we'll be able to help you out best.

(mat)

I definitely... skimmed through it...

I'm sorry! All the tech mumbo-jumbo hurts my brain-organ.

I appreciate all the help I've received thus far, though. I was at a computer shop the other day, asking questions, and the manager laughed in my face. Seriously, douche? How about helping me out?

I clearly skipped spending money there.

kennah

I appreciate all the help I've received thus far, though. I was at a computer shop the other day, asking questions, and the manager laughed in my face. Seriously, douche? How about helping me out?

First paragraph is all we're asking for right now. The survey man, the survey!

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case
Budget: Price Range + Country
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, HD Streaming, 3D/Model work, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software?
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
When will you build?: What time frames are doable? Are you building this weekend? Do you need it in a week or so? Can you wait a month or two?
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

Most urgently from my pricing something perspective - do you have a monitor/kb/mouse?

DTKT

ALSO! Memory Express is having a hugely discounted 3570K with Asus P8Z77-LK motherboard combo tomorrow. We won't know the price for another 6 hours or so, but it will likely be worth picking up along with other stuff. I'll throw something together in the system configurator but please please fill out the survey in the OP (right under Builds) and we'll be able to help you out best.

It's not up?

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_3570K_Z77VLK

tried it. no go. even removed the card and put in to the other pci slot

Damn. I did have a few driver crashes, but not since a few weeks. I'm using the 310.90 drivers.

(mat)

First paragraph is all we're asking for right now. The survey man, the survey!

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case
Budget: Price Range + Country
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, HD Streaming, 3D/Model work, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software?
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
When will you build?: What time frames are doable? Are you building this weekend? Do you need it in a week or so? Can you wait a month or two?
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

Most urgently from my pricing something perspective - do you have a monitor/kb/mouse?

Lol! Okay... So my reading comprehension skills need some work, as well.

I'm going to fill this out when I get home tonight. The survey thing is an amazing idea. I wish I had caught what I was supposed to be doing the first time I read the OP.

What can I say? I read tech talk, and my brain turns to mush.

kennah

That is going even more on sale starting 9pm tonight to 9pm tomorrow. Daily deal thinger.

Lol! Okay... So my reading comprehension skills need some work, as well.

I'm going to fill this out when I get home tonight. The survey thing is an amazing idea. I wish I had caught what I was supposed to be doing the first time I read the OP.

What can I say? I read tech talk, and my brain turns to mush.

YOU. MUSH BRAIN!

Are you going to need to buy a monitor and keyboard/mouse or do you already own them :p

Koroviev

We're here to help! Although it will be difficult for me to link you to specific pages until I get home from work.

(mat)

YOU. MUSH BRAIN!

Are you going to need to buy a monitor and keyboard/mouse or do you already own them :p

I have got a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. In the future, I will be looking for a new monitor, however. But in the meantime, the one I've got is just peachy.

ejeezy24

Neo Member
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. screw nvidia and their drivers. Im about to return this piece and grab a 7970. I cant handle this random constant crashing for no reason. Worked fine for 3 weeks. smh.

mkenyon

Banned
I get the same tearing on my friend's 120hz TV. Or does that have to do with 120hz monitors and TVs being different somehow?

At $1,000, the GTX 690 is pretty expensive. I don't know if spending $2,000 for 3D games (and better framerate overall) is worth it. But I did just see this:

I don't plan on playing higher than 1920x1080, so the performance would probably be a bit better than that, right?

No overclocking at all. You're saying with overclocking I don't need to worry about bottlenecking? I've never been interested in overclocking, but would try it out if it meant I didn't have to upgrade my CPU to accommodate a better GPU.
There is no TV that is 120Hz. They use post processing to try and blend everything together to make it appear as though it were at 120Hz when it isn't. You need a dual link DVI or Displayport to display 1080p @ 120Hz.

So you understand, a 690 = literally two 680s, so it is ALWAYS SLI. Two 690s = Quad SLI, and runs like garbage.

Some games are entirely bottlenecked by the CPU frequency. You'll want to get it to 4.5ish if you are pushing for 3D Gaming.

I think going with a single 670 and then adding a second if you aren't happy with the performance is a good way to go. You can find them used for fairly cheap these days.
I'm currently putting together for a new PC rig with help from this thread and I'd like some feedback as to whether the selected components are solid overall (or rather: synergize well). The main goal behind this is to have a build that'll be future-proof / last me for approximately 3 - 5 years before I'd feel the need to upgrade again when the time comes.

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R
PSU: Corsair CX750W - 80 PLUS Bronze - Silent
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS
Processor: Intel i7-3770K 3,5 GHz
Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212+
GPU: GeForce nVidia GTX 670 2GB GDDR5
SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 128 GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB
Sound card: ASUS Xonar DGX

To fill out the bullet list in the OP:

- Current specs irrelevant, as they are approximately 4 - 5 years old at this point and won't be used for gaming anymore after purchasing the new PC.

- The above build would be mainly used 'heavy' gaming including running emulation software right up to Dolphin (GC / Wii) and video editing alongside HD streaming / recording somewhere in the near future. Other tasks won't be as demanding, so no point to elaborate.

- I want to run my games at 1080p & 60 frames per second. Unlikely I'll be getting a bigger monitor any time soon. 30 FPS would also be acceptable if a game comes around that'd really push the system.

- I guess the most demanding games I have in mind would be The Witcher 2 and ARMA III; no real interest in Crysis or Battlefield due to Origin. Contemplating the recent Assassin's Creed games, Trackmania 2 and Far Cry 3.

- I'm avoiding AMD GPU's, on a sidenote. I (and some people I know) haven't been happy with 'em and nVidia seems to have better drivers / game optimization overall.

- I'd like to buy the above parts very soon. I've been holding off on upgrading for a long time as I expected price drops or newer models to appear, but I figured now would be a good time with both nVidia and AMD recently confirming that they're delaying their next GPU lines 'til next year IIRC.

- I intend to make use of overclocking as well.

One particular 'problem' I already have though, lies with the case mentioned in my list. I know that the Corsair Carbide 200R is one of the recommendations in the OP, but I'd like to know how accurate the following article is:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6515/corsair-carbide-200r-case-review-how-low-can-you-go/5

my main concern lies with (although it is claimed to be competitive relative to its price) it supposedly not providing suitable cooling for the videocard, on top of an allegedly serious heat issue for SSD's. Even without overclocking... I know next to nothing about cases, but this'd be worrisome (especially during the summer) if accurate. If this is a genuine flaw, which other case would be recommended then? I'm looking for maintaining good performance, though being able to keep the noise levels down would (while not -that- important) of course be welcome.

I think that about wraps it up. Not sure if I've missed some important information necessary for specific advice.

Thanks in advance.
You can't build a PC to future proof. The only surefire way to future proof is to allow wiggle room for upgrades every 2 years. We just don't know enough about what requirements will be out there in the future.

The 200R benefits from additional fans, yes. The 'issues' they are outlining in the article aren't really issues at all.
Sounds like you have some seriously compromised driver issues as a result of something getting totally corrupted.

Delete everything in C:\NVIDIA\. Go into add/remove programs and delete everything NVIDIA. Delete all of the drivers that you have downloaded. Restart the computer. If you have perfectly good res and everything looks pretty much fine after a second, then you didn't do one of the things above. Do all of them.

Restart until you get a crappy resolution upon boot, which means there are no drivers in place. Then download the newest drivers and reinstall.

If that doesn't work, time to reformat.

darthbob

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. screw nvidia and their drivers. Im about to return this piece and grab a 7970. I cant handle this random constant crashing for no reason. Worked fine for 3 weeks. smh.

Historically, Nvidia's drivers have been quite stable.

I'd recommend either running driver sweeper on your PC, or performing a 'clean install' of the most recent Nvidia driver release. Also, if you just got the card, why not consider an RMA?

Hell, every other time I get RAM I get a bad stick or two. Just the name of the game, really. :-/

ejeezy24

Neo Member
Historically, Nvidia's drivers have been quite stable.

I'd recommend either running driver sweeper on your PC, or performing a 'clean install' of the most recent Nvidia driver release. Also, if you just got the card, why not consider an RMA?

Hell, every other time I get RAM I get a bad stick or two. Just the name of the game, really. :-/

Yea ive tried both. And as soon as i bought this zotac 670 some 7970's dropped to the same price. So im thinking i might just do that since it is more powerful anyhow. And reading in nvidias forums this seems like a huge problem no matter what driver for a ton of people :/

ejeezy24

Neo Member
Sounds like you have some seriously compromised driver issues as a result of something getting totally corrupted.

Delete everything in C:\NVIDIA\. Go into add/remove programs and delete everything NVIDIA. Delete all of the drivers that you have downloaded. Restart the computer. If you have perfectly good res and everything looks pretty much fine after a second, then you didn't do one of the things above. Do all of them.

Restart until you get a crappy resolution upon boot, which means there are no drivers in place. Then download the newest drivers and reinstall.

I did this for each set of drivers i installed :[

You can't build a PC to future proof. The only surefire way to future proof is to allow wiggle room for upgrades every 2 years. We just don't know enough about what requirements will be out there in the future.

The 200R benefits from additional fans, yes. The 'issues' they are outlining in the article aren't really issues at all.
Poor choice of words of mine then, fair enough.

Secondly: in your opinion would it be better to purchase more fans for the 200R, or go with a different case such as (just to name an example) the Fractal Design R4 occassionally mentioned in here?

kennah

Poor choice of words of mine then, fair enough.

Secondly: in your opinion would it be better to purchase more fans for the 200R, or go with a different case such as (just to name an example) the Fractal Design R4 occassionally mentioned in here?

Is your computer too hot or too quiet? Then add more fans. If your computer is running fine - don't add more fans.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm a really bad person to ask these questions about budget cases. So I'll leave it up for others to provide different insight.

For a single GPU system, the 200R is more than capable. You can grab an extra fan or two if you aren't happy with the temps.

That being said, the Define R4 (and Arc Midi R2) is where my search would begin and end for any case under $200.

kinggroin

Banned
I can buy any motherboard and cpu at BestBuy's website to replace my Phenom II setup.

Anyone care to help me transition to Intel without breaking the bank too hard?

GPU is a gtx 670 and I game at 720p on a projector at the moment if that helps any. Thanks!

I'm also wanting to get rid of my Raven II case if anyone is interested. Want to go smaller.

Dave_6

I really hope that once I get mine together that I don't have issues constantly with drivers and whatnot. That would frustrate me to no end and really make me regret spending the money that I have so far. Doesn't help that I am a complete noob at PC building/gaming :/

NoRéN

I can buy any motherboard and cpu at BestBuy's website to replace my Phenom II setup.

GPU is a gtx 670 and I game at 720p on a projector at the moment if that helps any. Thanks!

I'm also wanting to get rid of my Raven II case if anyone is interested. Want to go smaller.

Boom!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46787258&postcount=1

ASRock Z77 + i5 3570K ?

mkenyon

Banned

White or Black?

Follow the OP for part recommendations. Best Buy should price match NCIX/Newegg/Microcenter.
I really hope that once I get mine together that I don't have issues constantly with drivers and whatnot. That would frustrate me to no end and really make me regret spending the money that I have so far. Doesn't help that I am a complete noob at PC building/gaming :/
There will be tiny things that pop up that are easy to fix with basic troubleshooting processes. But, extensive issues are an extreme rarity. Fret not. If you do have issues, we are here :p

kennah

I'm a really bad person to ask these questions about budget cases. So I'll leave it up for others to provide different insight.

For a single GPU system, the 200R is more than capable. You can grab an extra fan or two if you aren't happy with the temps.

That being said, the Define R4 (and Arc Midi R2) is where my search would begin and end for any case under $200.

I was showing off the 670 to a coworker, and showed him the Titan that was replacing it. He asked what kind of case your new card was going into and I showed him the Case Labs one. He was blown away.

Is your computer too hot or too quiet? Then add more fans. If your computer is running fine - don't add more fans.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice.

mkenyon

Banned
I was showing off the 670 to a coworker, and showed him the Titan that was replacing it. He asked what kind of case your new card was going into and I showed him the Case Labs one. He was blown away.
YOU DONT EVEN KNOW THE PLANS I HAVE SO EXCITE.

Hawk gave me an offer I couldn't refuse on his 690. Doing that until the Titan is widely available, then getting a second from Sk3tch when he downgrades from 4-Way SLI. That's my 4 month plan.

*edit*

Speak of the devil!

tUCNRx0.png

Hype level 5000.

scogoth

There is no TV that is 120Hz. They use post processing to try and blend everything together to make it appear as though it were at 120Hz when it isn't. You need a dual link DVI or Displayport to display 1080p @ 120Hz.

So you understand, a 690 = literally two 680s, so it is ALWAYS SLI. Two 690s = Quad SLI, and runs like garbage.

Some games are entirely bottlenecked by the CPU frequency. You'll want to get it to 4.5ish if you are pushing for 3D Gaming.

I think going with a single 670 and then adding a second if you aren't happy with the performance is a good way to go. You can find them used for fairly cheap these days.

Delete everything in C:NVIDIA. Go into add/remove programs and delete everything NVIDIA. Delete all of the drivers that you have downloaded. Restart the computer. If you have perfectly good res and everything looks pretty much fine after a second, then you didn't do one of the things above. Do all of them.

Just to clarify that point, playing a game in 3D negligibly increases CPU usage. So if you are playing a CPU constrained game at 60FPS and your GPU is powerful enough then going to 3D will only drop you to ~55ish.

kennah

YOU DONT EVEN KNOW THE PLANS I HAVE SO EXCITE.

Hawk gave me an offer I couldn't refuse on his 690. Doing that until the Titan is widely available, then getting a second from Sk3tch when he downgrades from 4-Way SLI. That's my 4 month plan.

*edit*

Speak of the devil!

tUCNRx0.png

Hype level 5000.

Sweeeet. Looks like I'll be breaking in that 2550K in stock cooler by the end of the week and then doing it up full whenever I get a new case.

ejeezy24

Neo Member
ughhhhh looks like im gonna have to just try and reformat. Hopefully this works. Rig works fine with the integrated graphics :/

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah yeah. I just meant in the games where you will want 8.3ms frametimes (120 FPS @ 2D 60hz, 60 FPS @ 3D), you will want a processor that is clocked high to prevent bottlenecks. I mostly mean the usual suspects here, like Starcraft 2, UE3 Engine games (tons), BF3 MP, etc etc.

kinggroin

Banned
NoRéN;48279578 said:

White or Black?

Follow the OP for part recommendations. Best Buy should price match NCIX/Newegg/Microcenter.

There will be tiny things that pop up that are easy to fix with basic troubleshooting processes. But, extensive issues are an extreme rarity. Fret not. If you do have issues, we are here :p

Thanks fellas. Will look at this tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom