• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Dude. I am so sorry. But the 7770 is lowest recommended card. Go for that or the 7850 if you want somethinng that would transfer to a better computer later

Some days, I wish I never found out about NeoGAF; I just gotta have my games looking amazing now. I haven't built a PC in a decade and now I want to get back in the frey.

I picked up an Dell XPS 435mt about 4 years ago for design work, since I was too poor and I had Dell credit. Since then, I've propped it up with upgrade after upgrade... but it seems like this old thing can't keep up with the Jones', especially since now I run macs for my work specific tasks. I now plan on getting a brand new PC that's actually focused for gaming. Not entirely new, however. I plan on transferring some upgraded components over.

Your Current Specs: DellXPS 435mt — Intel Core i7-920/Whatever Dell OEM motherboard/Dell Case/500GB Hard Drive/16GB GDDR3 Ram (I can't figure out the clock speed at the moment)/750Watt PSU/GTX680 <-- (The last three I'm going to bring over.)
Budget: US. I don't have a budget per se... But it does have to be something a bit manageable financially. Included SLI-ing another 680... I would probably say my limit is $1000.
Main Use: 4 rating about? This will be only be used for video/gaming (steam/emulators), but a lot of it. I actually want to post in that High Res PC gaming screenshot thread ;)
Monitor Resolution: Will be playing only on a 51" Samsung TV (1080p) Though I'd like to use downsampling without the huge performance hit.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Using a benchmark; I would say it should play Skyrim in ultra settings, with ENB, downsampled at least from 2880x1620, playing 60fps or higher. (I'm having trouble now; it ranges from25-35ffps)
Looking to reuse any parts?: Not sure about my RAM, which I'll find out when I get home, but I will be reusing that, my 750W psu and GTX680
When will you build?: I plan on building this week. As soon as possible, as I currently have the funds.
Will you be overclocking?: ...sure!

Having looked at the OP, my question is picking a right CPU/motherboard/tower. I noticed the i7 3770K is pretty much the most bang for your buck CPU, though there's a jump in performance between that and the 3930K (from Anandtechs CPU bench link). So that's where I'm stuck at, but I'm willing to hear any suggestions!

t-ramp

So would a XFX Radeon HD7750 1024MB GDDR5 would be overkill for my PC? (Athlon X2 250 3.0 ghz, with 2gb of ram) There cheaper alternatives on their page but i'm hesitant since they might be too weak. I'm looking for something that fits my crappy PC.
I dunno. I can say that my friend has an Athlon X2 + 4830 build that we put together that still allows for some low-setttings gaming enjoyment. I wouldn't worry too much about the particular card you get, but the 7750 would not be a terrible choice.

Some days, I wish I never found out about NeoGAF; I just gotta have my games looking amazing now. I haven't built a PC in a decade and now I want to get back in the frey.
Be glad on NeoGAF there's only one thread dedicated to blowing serious money on PCs. I was at Overclock.net for quite a while... yikes.

mkenyon

Banned
skyim-99th.gif

skyrim-latency-intel.gif

skyrim-beyond-16.gif

Go for the enthusiast build, plop in an X850 or AX850, and grab your second card.

kinggroin

Banned
Ok. Bestbuy has the ASUS equivalent of the asrock z77 vlk, so I'm gonna go with that and an i5 3570k with 8GB ram.

Now, you gents know a thread I can sell my existing CPU/Mboard/Ram? Maybe someone in here interested in a backup or secodary build? Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition (I've clocked it as high as 3.8Ghz before issues with cooling), some MSI board I'll have to check on, and 4GB 800MHZ (clocks over 900mhz) DDR2 OCZ I believe.

Again, thanks for all the help!

darthbob

If anyone wants to weigh in, I'd appreciate it.

I've currently got a GTX 570 (1.2GB VRAM) - Right now, it's doing well, however I play at 2048x1152, and of course, like to use AA but I'm maxing my VRAM, and thus stuttering, frame drops, etc. So basically my inquiry is such, should I upgrade to a GTX 670 (2 or 4GB) or something else?

Smokey

Welp

The intended small 2013 mini-refresh turned out to be anything but. It's February and I'm already down for the count coach. Looks like the 2600k will have to continue to hold strong until 2014.

asdad123

Yes. The fan only turns on when it needs to. With a single GPU, it's unlikely that it will. The fan itself is a Nidec Servo which is super super quiet.

Fractal Define R4 + aftermarket CPU cooler from OP + Gigabyte or ASUS non-reference card is how you achieve a quiet running PC without spending hundreds extra on different fans and coolers.

So a corsair H60? That seems like it gets good reviews.

Also, are there any matx cases like that? I wouldnt mind going to a matx to save some space.

mkenyon

Banned
Define Mini. CoolerMaster Hyper 212 will be totally fine as well. Grab a single Arctic Cooling F12 if you want it to run even more quiet.
Welp

The intended small 2013 mini-refresh turned out to be anything but. It's February and I'm already down for the count coach. Looks like the 2600k will have to continue to hold strong until 2014.
I wonder if those Titans will be bottlenecked by PCI-E 2.0.

so back to the MPower vs Asrock Extreme 4 vs maximus V debacle I've been in.

I can't put my capture card and a sound card on the maximus since it's only got 1 pci express slot.

So Is the Mpower worth it over the extreme 4? (money is non issue for me)

comu

Neo Member
Hi

Will the Standard PC build in OP be capable of running the new Simcity more than comfortably? I won't be playing any other game (i play PS3) so don't need anything fancy

I'm pretty sure my 2gb ram and 2ghz cpu wont be able to play it :) (haven't been using it for gaming)

Thanks

Hi

Will the Standard PC build in OP be capable of running the new Simcity more than comfortably? I won't be playing any other game (i play PS3) so don't need anything fancy

I'm pretty sure my 2gb ram and 2ghz cpu wont be able to play it :) (haven't been using it for gaming)

Thanks

I think it would be perfectly fine :)

kennah

Heaven Benchmark v3.0 Basic

FPS: 104.0
Scores: 2619
Min FPS: 25.4
Max FPS: 195.9

So that's interesting. 500 point bump going from the 660 to the 670. However - I noticed a lot of artifacting while the benchmark was going on. That didn't happen on my 6850 or 660. Something I should be worried about? Could the card be starved for power? I know the Q6600 takes more juice than the 2550K will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom