• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

I was literally about to edit my post because I didn't notice it said that.

Too good to be true saying applies :p

Shitty situation. Built my computer long enough ago that to upgrade one or 2 things I pretty much have to upgrade everything. SIGH.

What're your current specs? And besides, don't you have any of that sweet DIII cash left? :p

NoRéN

And you can trust that the average PC enthusiast has spent all of the time researching parts and hardly any of it actually using them ;)

lol

Point is, Pyro, avoid open box. Post your specs to see what needs to be upgraded.

Then, people can make recommendations and if you are lucky, someone here may be able to help you out with the parts you need.

What're your current specs? And besides, don't you have any of that sweet DIII cash left? :p
haha I actually don't have a lot of it but I do have some leftover money from there, around 350.

Keep in mind the last time I built my computer is was an inexpensive build from the days where there was no i3/i5 bullshit. So yeah. It's a Q9550 cpu, some shitty motherboard that only supports ddr2 ram so that's gonna need an up, then the ram itself is 4gb ddr2. Power supply is vx450. Video card is hd 4850.

So tell me guys.

What's the biggest jump I can make without going over 450 ish. Preferebly less but I'm being realistic. No case/harddrive needed.

NoRéN;48394222 said:
CPU and motherboard obviously. Standard build?
Not looking for anything hardcore but I would like to future proof it gaming wise for at least a couple years. Not talking about max settings for every game for the next 5 years or anything like that. But you know what I mean. TBH I'm surprised the 4850 has done as well as it has up till now.

kennah

haha I actually don't have a lot of it but I do have some leftover money from there, around 350.

Keep in mind the last time I built my computer is was an inexpensive build from the days where there was no i3/i5 bullshit. So yeah. It's a Q9550 cpu, some shitty motherboard that only supports ddr2 ram so that's gonna need an up, then the ram itself is 4gb ddr2. Power supply is vx450. Video card is hd 4850.

So tell me guys.

What's the biggest jump I can make without going over 450 ish. Preferebly less but I'm being realistic. No case/harddrive needed.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Produc...mail&utm_campaign=Feb2013_24hrDailyDeal-Feb25

This is the daily deal on Friday. I could see it being around $200. Add a 7850 for $210 and bam, there you go. Wouldn't be able to overclock though.

Alternatively, get the 7850 or a 7950 and you would still see a huge increase with that CPU. I went from a 4850 to 6850 to 670 and saw a huge jump in performance each time.

NoRéN

Not looking for anything hardcore but I would like to future proof it gaming wise for at least a couple years. Not talking about max settings for every game for the next 5 years or anything like that. But you know what I mean. TBH I'm surprised the 4850 has done as well as it has up till now.

Well, i3 with an ASROCK z77 would be good. i5 if you have a microcenter nearby as they tend to have excellent deals.

Compared to your video card, something like a 560ti would be a good jump. Trying to get it used would save you some cash while improving performance.

Oh, and 8gb RAM. Try and track down those Samsung sticks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
have plugging stuff into a case gotten easier over the past 5 years?

Can my old mobo even 'work' with modern cases, or has mobo 'shape' not changed much?
Yeah it's ATX, hasn't changed.

Any recent case should have standard support for longer cards now. HDD bays were turned sideways for more room on just about everything, or they made the cases longer.

iavi

So, Catalyst 13.2 beta 6 wasn't the memory rewrite, though it had improvements across the board.

Just how big an improvement is this thing going to be when it hits, holy shit?

NoRéN

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Produc...mail&utm_campaign=Feb2013_24hrDailyDeal-Feb25

This is the daily deal on Friday. I could see it being around $200. Add a 7850 for $210 and bam, there you go. Wouldn't be able to overclock though.

Alternatively, get the 7850 or a 7950 and you would still see a huge increase with that CPU. I went from a 4850 to 6850 to 670 and saw a huge jump in performance each time.

Good deal on the mobo/cpu combo.

Alternatively, it would be around $210 for that on newegg right now. Well, an i3 3225.

NoRéN;48394642 said:
Well, i3 with an ASROCK z77 would be good. i5 if you have a microcenter nearby as they tend to have excellent deals.

Compared to your video card, something like a 560ti would be a good jump. Trying to get it used would save you some cash while improving performance.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...ailyDeal-Feb25

The thing is if I do upgrade I just want to go further with it. I'd do an i5 over an i3. I mean with a budget of 450-500 max I might as well right? It's definitely the video card I'm worried about since I want a good jump but from some recommondations I'm seeing those prices are nuts.

Also gonna need a new PSU I assume right? That'll run about 60-70 I figure. Plus some RAM, not looking to go overboard but at least 4-8gb ddr3 I figure. Also keep in mind I'm canadian so I'd be doing any price matching I can from canadian sites with ncix, since that always seems to be the best unless a great deal pops up on another site.

kennah

NoRéN;48394642 said:

He's in Canada. And heh, I forgot RAM in my suggestion.

EDIT: Above - Your PSU might be fine, Power consumption has gone DOWN since the Core2 Days. I think your best bet might be to get a decent video card for 200-300 and ride that until you can afford the rest. My Q6600 is still pretty decent (ish) when backed by a good video card.

7970 would be a huge increase. That's 680GTX territory for speed. Then next $450 you have will net a decent cpu, motherboard and ram.
I just look at that price and I get horrified lol. Is there a huge difference between 7850 and 7970?

With the 7850 I'd probably be able to get the cpu/mobo/RAM as well all at once.

kennah

I just look at that price and I get horrified lol. Is there a huge difference between 7850 and 7970?

With the 7850 I'd probably be able to get the cpu/mobo/RAM as well all at once.

Then that is totally your best bet. If a 4850 lasted you this long, a 7850 will be able to do you to the 10850. Get an i5-3570K, decent motherboard and 8gig of RAM and you'll be laughing.

What is your current power supply? Got a model number?

Well, there is also the 7950, which is generally available for $300.
ahh looks like a big jump but still expensive

Then that is totally your best bet. If a 4850 lasted you this long, a 7850 will be able to do you to the 10850. Get an i5-3570K, decent motherboard and 8gig of RAM and you'll be laughing.

What is your current power supply? Got a model number?
this is the exact psu I believe

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

Keep in mind there's no interest in me in overclocking or anything.

kennah

You'll be fine.

And ok... you say you want to go all out, but you don't to overclock, which is it :p The K series is designed for it. Basically you get an extra GHz of performance for the cost of a $35 fan and 5 minutes work in the bios.
haha I'm too no fuss about everything. Just want to hook everything up and be good.

Is this one the one you're talking about http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115234

And I actually do have something on my cpu currently, not sure why I got it considering I didn't overclock but I do have a cooler.

kennah

haha I'm too no fuss about everything. Just want to hook everything up and be good.

Is this one the one you're talking about http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115234

And I actually do have something on my cpu currently, not sure why I got it considering I didn't overclock but I do have a cooler.

Yeah, it isn't a fuss at all. Overclocking is WAY different from how it used to be. The processors are designed for it. Literally. mkenyon could show you graphs and shit. You change two points in your bios and boom, free extra ghz. That's 30% increase in speed. For free.

Hmm alright.

So this is where I'm at now:

CPU: 3450P if I don't want to OC, and 3570K if I do want to
GPU: HD 7850 or go extreme which I doubt at the 7900 series
RAM: 8gb ddr3
PSU: can stay the same (vx450W)
Mobo: ???

Koroviev

Hmm alright.

CPU: 3450P if I don't want to OC, and 3470 if I do want to, leaning to 3470 since the price difference doesn't seem like much.
PSU: can stay the same

No, you need the 3570K. Only 'K' processors overclock. I don't even know why the other i5s exist since they're typically within $20 of each other.

kennah

Hmm alright.

CPU: 3450P if I don't want to OC, and 3470 if I do want to, leaning to 3470 since the price difference doesn't seem like much.
PSU: can stay the same

You need a K series processor for the overclocking. 3570K is the one. Here is a decent bundle deal at NCIX for the processor with a good motherboard.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=72062&vpn=3570K & P8Z77-V LK&manufacture=Bundle Deals&promoid=1302

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=74...s&promoid=1302

Some ram that's on sale for 45 down from 70. Not one of the usual recommended brands but should be fine.
I was looking at the same thing earlier.

Ahh decisions decisions. Is there a cheaper yet still good combo where I can get the 3570K and a mobo for less than that bundle deal? Notably cheaper at least. If it's only a few bucks it's no big deal. Also we agreed that my current PSU would be fine for this? http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69494&promoid=1302

kennah

That mobo cpu ram and 7850 is a solid upgrade on what you have. If you want to stretch a little more performance out of it then by all means get a cooler master hyper 212 (about 30-35$) and take it from 3.4 ghz to 4.2 ghz without stressing it too much. But even without the oc it is pretty decent. Better than what I have at home right now :p

Edit. There is one that is $5 cheaper with a worse motherboard. The LK is a great board the bundle is good. Your powersupply is fine for this setup. Cpu will use 15-20 W less than your current one :p

Further edit. Gpu uses 50 less W than your current one.

Alright, thanks for all the help guys. Picture is becoming clear on what I'm gonna go for. I would have thought the 7850 used more W than my current one.

kennah

Power consumption is way down. Which means heat is way down. Which means noise is way down. It is a great time in computing right now.

And I'm glad that's settled. Finally I can go to bed.

Can someone explain to me how to get 3 monitors working on a single ati card?

Right now I want to get 1 1080p monitor (connecting using dvi to minidisplay) 1 1080p monitor (connect via hdmi). 1 1440p monitor (connecting using dual dvi).

Card is 7870 xt

First time using ati. don't get catalyst. Whats eye finity?

oh man... this is confusing... wait, my 1440p monitor has a displayport slot, so if I get a display port cable... this should somehow all work? o_O

Katyusha

Found this on the Sapphire forums. Basically, you need an HDMI to DVI adapter
Suggested EyeFinity Connection Setup for HD 7XXX cards:
Card (DVI-D)------------------------------------------------------------>Monitor (DVI-D)
Card (HDMI)---------->HDMI to DVI-D Cable/Adapter----------->Monitor (DVI-D)
Card (Mini-DSP)--------->Mini-DSP to DVI-D (ACTIVE)-------->Monitor (DVI-D) ]

active display port adaptors still expensive?

Thinking...

wait dual dvi cables can work on single dvi stuff right? (like a square is a rectangle)

Soo... if I spend 10 bucks on a display port cable.

1440p monitor - > display port to mini display port (with included adapter)

1080p monitor -> dvi to mini display port

1080p monitor - > dvi

would that... work?

Katyusha

Active displayport adapters are about $30 on Amazon

And dual link should work with the single link, as long as there are the right amount of pins

mkenyon

Banned
active display port adaptors still expensive?

Thinking...

wait dual dvi cables can work on single dvi stuff right? (like a square is a rectangle)

Soo... if I spend 10 bucks on a display port cable.

1440p monitor - > display port to mini display port (with included adapter)

1080p monitor -> dvi to mini display port

1080p monitor - > dvi

would that... work?
Yes.

Pandemic

The other thread looks a little... Dead, so I'll post here.

I turned my PC on today, and for some reason I got this error..
''The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable.''

I can't save Microsoft Word documents, or any type of file for that matter, and a little message keeps popping up in the bottom corner saying
''steam.exe - Corrupt Disk
The file system structure and unusable. Please run the Chkdsk utility on the volume C:.''

Any ideas..?

None can. The best ones have their displays maxed at like 90hz, but the actual circuit board can receive a 120Hz signal. There's a lot of issues around it as well.

There's a lot of confusion and misinformation out there, so what I'd suggest you do is check out 120hz.net to learn all you can.

I've spent the better part of the night trying to understand whats going on with the monitor overclocking thing. I don't think I understand it at all.

There are quite a few people claiming to have overclocked to 120hz, but apparently you need a special PCB (the "2B" revision) of these panels.

I dunno. I am pretty happy with 60hz IPS panels to be honest. The 3 Dell 22" I have look great to my eyes. Awesome color at any angle. I played a bunch of Unreal Tournament 3 on one of them and it feels super fluid to me. I doubt I am in need of overclocking refresh rates anyways.

The only issue I am going to end up running into is I still think I want to do a multi monitor setup, but I don't think you can do mismatched monitors for nvidia surround. Then again, the appeal and charm of that eyefinity/nvidia surround will likely (hopefully) be dwarfed by Oculus Rift kit coming in a month or so.

The biggest kick in the pants for nvidia surround so far has been just the sheer power needed to run @ 5670x1080 (6.1mil pixels) and the lack of support on some of my favorite games. Getting that 27" in the middle running @ 2560x1440p (3.6mil pixels) is going to take a huge load off the system, have a higher pixel density, and the best part is, 1440p is pretty much universally supported.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm just glad I have a little bit of room in the budget for finalizing my monitor setup. For awhile there I really was thinking of going for a Titan. I think at that point I'd be forced to game on a 19" Packard Bell CRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom