• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

haikira

your motherboard supports SLI ?

I should have posted specs, sorry.

Motherboard ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1)
CPU 2500k
GPU Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2 GB
Memory G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Case
PSU Corsair TX850w

mkenyon

Banned
Not worth it for gaming. An i3 will be better.
An i3 is in fact better in a number of games than the 8350. What makes the i3 a better choice is that when you save up $200, you can put a proper gaming CPU in there with the 3570K.

arkham-99th.gif

arkham-beyond-50.gif

skyrim-99th.gif

skyrim-beyond-16.gif

Really? According to TekSyndicate the AMD 8350 was really good that was the one I originally recommended him to get but because of his budget he took it down to the 6100.
TekSyndicate is complete garbage. It's a fan boy site osbcured in a veil of legitimacy. The whole FX8350 video "Time to rethink everything" that they did was horribly inaccurate, offensively missing methodology, and had zero consistency. It also lacked a good test suite of games. I'm fairly certain it was just a grab for clicks.

Ty4on

Really? According to TekSyndicate the AMD 8350 was really good that was the one I originally recommended him to get but because of his budget he took it down to the 6100.

Problem is the result is that Intel is superior in pretty much every other benchmark done. Some games (Crysis 3) are able to use many CPUs efficiently and does well, but the vast majority of games are horrible at using many cores and the beefier Intel cores do much better. Tera is using Unreal Engine 3 which Arkam City also does and here you can see a bench with first average FPS, then frame time for 99% of all frames (smooth 60fps would need less than 17, smooth 30fps would need less than 33) and lastly how many frames took more than 50ms (which means sub 20fps).
As you can see an i3 is about as good in this game as the most expensive AMD CPU which is a 4Ghz eight core, the i3 3225 is a 3.3Ghz dual core...
I would suggest an i5 and an AMD 7770 (cheap Nvidia GPUs are horrible value) or an i3 and the same GPU or a 7850. The 7850 is twice as powerful as the 7770. A 3570k and Z77 if his budget can afford it. It can overclock to 4Ghz+ which would make a big difference in a CPU heavy MMO.

Edit: I always lose the battle to show TR graphs when AMD FX is mentioned :/

Poker360

I recently built my computer, went with an AMD 8350 / Radeon 7970 setup. Recently did a benchmark comparison with a buddy who did i5 3570k / GTX 680 build. My build outperformed his by a decent amount, and mine was a cheaper build.

Why aren't people recommending these considering the boost in performance and lower price over the 3570k?

We both used the valley benchmark 1.0

here was my benchmark results:

38AJbmW.png

haikira

SLI IS WORKING!

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers one last time and now it's magically working. I won't question it.

Thanks a lot everyone for all the help. This thread is always awesome and makes me feel like such a freeloader on Neogaf.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah. That video is lacking a few things.

1) Lacking extensive methodology, no testing of frame time.

2) Uses a tool to grab data that has never been considered accurate. It also places a pretty big strain on performance while running it, but it is multithreaded, giving an unfair advantage to processors that have 4 or more cores.

3) Only tests a few games.

4) It's been exposed that he only ran the benchmarks a single time per game.

For comparison, an email Scott Wasson sent me:

2) Exactly repeatable tests are nice, but they're not always possible. (Ask a biologist!). Look at the test sequence videos in our recent reviews. Some involve a simple walk through an area (Guild Wars, Skyrim, Hitman) that we can repeat with precision and others involve combat (Borderlands 2) that we can't replicate perfectly. Either way, we test each sequence five times for each GPU or CPU being tested and we report the median result for each metric (FPS, time beyond X, etc.).

The one exception there is the 99th percentile frame time, where we've found that treating all of the collected data as a single pool yields more consistent results. That's just due to the nature of the metric, of course.

"Time beyond X" varies enough that even five runs and a median doesn't inspire much confidence. That, too, has to do with the rather variable nature of big latency spikes. Ideally, we'd probably want to test more, but I think using this result alongside all the others is still reasonably sound.

It's pretty clear he loaded the test in AMD's favor on purpose to give shoddy results that would give him clicks.

Read this, this, and this.

Poker360

Yeah. That video is lacking a few things.

1) Lacking extensive methodology, no testing of frame time.

2) Uses a tool to grab data that has never been considered accurate. It also places a pretty big strain on performance while running it, but it is multithreaded, giving an unfair advantage to processors that have 4 or more cores.

3) Only tests a few games.

4) It's been exposed that he only ran the benchmarks a single time per game.

For comparison, an email Scott Wasson sent me:

It's pretty clear he loaded the test in AMD's favor on purpose to give shoddy results that would give him clicks.

So was my benchmark vs. my friends gtx 680 / i5 3570k better because my radeon 7970 is superior to his 680?

mkenyon

Banned
So was my benchmark vs. my friends gtx 680 / i5 3570k better because my radeon 7970 is superior to his 680?
There's so many variables that would need to be accounted for, that it's nearly useless to look at you and your buddies benchmarks as a good comparison for performance.

Maybe his 680 was downclocking due to temperature. Maybe he had some sort of program running in the background. Maybe his 3570K wasn't OC'd properly while you had yours OC'd. Maybe his 680 was running on drivers that gave worse performance.

Tons of variables.

Chuckl3s

I'm in the market for extra storage in my pc and I have a couple of concerns.

Should I be cautious in purchasing a 3tb hard drive? I keep reading on forums that you shouldn't buy anything that big unless it is for a NAS. I've been looking at this Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA III on Amazon. I also know that I need to make sure my Mobo supports 3tbs (which is does).

My other question is...when I install a new hard drive. Is there anything I need to do before moving stuff to it? Of course formatting but anything special I should do?

Thanks in advance.

Ty4on

Looking at that again there are many results that don't make any sense. The 3770k seems to always beat the 3820 by a big margin, but they're really similar CPUs with the only difference being that the 3770k has Ivy Bridge which is 5% faster than Sandy Bridge and a max turbo of 3.9Ghz vs 3.8Ghz. Stock frequency on the 3820 is actually 0.1Ghz higher so where the hell does the 29% performance bump in Metro 2033 come from?

Found it interesting that all three test rigs also use different RAM and SSD as well as mobos from different manufacturers and the Z77 test rig is for some reason on an ITX mobo. Shouldn't explain 30% a 30% difference, but it was strange that he didn't swap RAM or SSD for the test runs.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, that video has become kind of an in-joke.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it were just some random guy. But that they are trying to veil it in the name of consumer advice, I find it horribly offensive in that there's no way anyone can actually put forward those results and think what they are writing is sincere. That guy is purposefully misleading.

Dave_6

Is the ASUS Sabertooth mobo worth the $240 it costs? I have been planning on going with either the ASRock Extreme 4 or the MSI M Power (both in the OP) but I do like the look of the Sabertooth. I think it would look cool in my windowed R4 with the EVGA 670 but I'm not sure it may be worth the $ for the cool factor.

kennah

Is the ASUS Sabertooth mobo worth the $240 it costs? I have been planning on going with either the ASRock Extreme 4 or the MSI M Power (both in the OP) but I do like the look of the Sabertooth. I think it would look cool in my windowed R4 with the EVGA 670 but I'm not sure it may be worth the $ for the cool factor.

Do it. Be cool. Also you should start smoking.

sprinkles

It runs!
At least to the Bios. So much for my dream of a driveless, quiet case? It seems that my USB Stick with Windows 8 is broken, or the setup to create it, which I did a few weeks ago, went wrong somewhere. Onto the troubleshooting..

Irobot82

I'm the process of overclocking my video card. Got my core clock to +100 and it can run Heaven maxed out, the new 3D Mark, but if I try 3d mark 11 it crashes in the scene with the antec car in the jungle. What's up with that?

What card? What drivers? If AMD update to latest beta drivers, that fixed the crash for me.

Ty4on

Yeah, that video has become kind of an in-joke.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it were just some random guy. But that they are trying to veil it in the name of consumer advice, I find it horribly offensive in that there's no way anyone can actually put forward those results and think what they are writing is sincere. That guy is purposefully misleading.

Also fuels this strange myth that AMD is for gaming and Intel for general purpose when the one thing the 8320/8350 is really good at for the price is threaded workloads like rendering. For a cheap work bench it should be really good if you don't need PCI-e 3.0.

When I started playing around with the idea of building a computer and at first wanted an AMD system (totally irrational, just didn't want Intel) I noticed all the little things making an Intel build much better. There are NO 990/980/970 mobos smaller than ATX, heck there aren't even any mATX mobos with AM3+ socket, eight pin power and more than four phase power delivery which is really bad for the power hungry FX8XXX CPUs. Pretty sure there was one guy who got a good overclock on a 3570k just using four pin power. That also saves money regarding mobo and PSU. On what I think is the best mATX AM3+ mobo out there a 3.8Ghz 8150 starts to throttle because it's too power hungry and several MSI mATX are reported to blow up (with smoke even) when running a stock 1100t and the 8150 uses more power.
The low power output also means they can be cooled with an air cooler or an AIO as an intake without really heating up the rest of the computer.

Addnan

What card? What drivers? If AMD update to latest beta drivers, that fixed the crash for me.
Ah, I just realised I didn't post any of that. It's a GTX670, sorted it out. My core clock just doesn't like going beyond +90, I think that is 1270 on boost clock. The memory clock seems to keep going up without any problems.

Slighty networky question. Gonna be picking up a Wii U this month but my router sits downstairs while I have all my game stuff upstairs. Wii U only has a wireless connection but I do have a long ethernet cable running into a small switch upstairs, would I be able to just run a normal wireless access point off that? Thinking of something basic like this.

Mogwai

Is the Noctua NH-D14 worth getting over a Hyper 212 Evo?

I gotta tune my 3570K and I quite like the idea of the two fan configuration that supports the airflow of the case. But then again, it's over twice the cost of the Evo. Is the Noctua overkill? I only have a single HD7970 in the case, so nothing fancy.

Enlighten me, please :)

I gotta tune my 3570K and I quite like the idea of the two fan configuration that supports the airflow of the case. But then again, it's over twice the cost of the Evo. Is the Noctua overkill? I only have a single HD7970 in the case, so nothing fancy.

I got a Phanteks PH-TC14PE with my new build, it and the Noctua are pretty much the same except the Phanteks doesn't look like it belongs in a hospital.

It's super quiet and insanely cool, usually get no higher than 24-25 on idle. Definitely worth the extra money if you want to OC.

mkenyon

Banned

Overkill. If you want super quiet performance, get a Hyper 212 with a Corsair SP Quiet Edition, Arctic Cooling F12, or a Noiseblocker NB-eLoop.

(mat)

I said goddamn

LOL. I absolutely had an extra zero in there. I'm just a trainwreck over here.

Ok first up you should buy their daily deal RIGHT NOW before it expires in the next two hours. The 3570k with asus p8z77-v lk. Right on the mem express front page.

Rest of the items you need.

Mobo and cpu $330
Cpu fan - hyper 212 $35
Case - Fractal R4 - $100
Ram - 8 gig 1600mhz Corsair low profile vengeance $55
Powersupply Antec hcg-620m -$90
Ssd - 128 gig crucial m4 $120
Optical drive - lg burner $20
Video card - asus direct cu 7850 $210
Os - windows 7 home premium 64 bit $120
Assembly -$70

If you can afford it put a 1tb drive in or bring your old computer and get them to install that hard drive along the new ssd.

If you want it a little cheaper get a hdd instead of the ssd. But i realllly don't recommend that. Or get windows 8 instead of 7. Or get a cheaper case. I wouldn't recommend changing much else.

I missed the deal. Don't have the cash on hand atm. That's OK, though. I really do appreciate the tip anyway.

So using your parts there should land me a usable computer, hm? I'm going to sort out my money, and look in to this. Thanks very much.

If you or anybody have any other tips to get my hands on a roughly $1000 computer (not $10,000), I'd love to hear them. I do not want to build personally. I don't have to go through Memory Express, either.

noomi

Alright, after much hesitation and excessive maybe even obsessive research, I decided to go buy an corsair h60 2013 edition during my lunch break today.

From what I've read it's on par with 212+ performance and cooling, and if that truly is the case then it will be a small step of for me (hyper tx3). Mainly concerned about space here, and being able to OC to around 4.4 - 4.5

Hope I'm not disappointed, read many stories about noisy pumps here. Maybe 2013 edition has that fixed.

Ty4on

It may be more silent, but the NZXT Hawik 140 has similar performance and is more silent. The 212 may be the best buy for the money though as the temps don't drop as much as you'd think with a better cooler on Ivy Bridge. The small CPU die with thermal paste between it and the heatspreader acts as an insulator making an overclocked chip hit 70-80C even though the cooler is never above 40. A better cooler will of course improve temps, but the difference is much smaller than on other chips. The 3770k is pretty much identical temp wise.
Notice how the difference of only 5C between the H100i on low and max. The fans on the 212 can also be swapped for better performance, but I think the Hawik is the best bet. It is very similar to the NH-D14. In overclock3d.net's review with the highest OC the difference is 69.15 delta temp on NH-D14 vs 69.7 delta with the Hawik 140.

So if I say fuck you to an optical drive when I'm building (because I don't need that shit) how do I... actually get windows on it. I can't download it and install it through Linux or off a usb drive right?

Ty4on

So if I say fuck you to an optical drive when I'm building (because I don't need that shit) how do I... actually get windows on it. I can't download it and install it through Linux or off a usb drive right?

Sure you can. Microsoft have a program to move the ISO onto a USB drive and making it bootable. All newer (newer than 08 at least :p) bioses should be able to boot off of a USB drive and it is much faster to install it that way. Don't know how you'd do it through Linux though, you could google around here or just borrow a Windows computer for 30 minutes.

NoRéN;48444440 said:

Sure you can. Microsoft have a program to move the ISO onto a USB drive and making it bootable. All newer (newer than 08 at least :p) bioses should be able to boot off of a USB drive and it is much faster to install it that way. Don't know how you'd do it through Linux though, you could google around here or just borrow a Windows computer for 30 minutes.
I just figured microsoft wouldn't allow you to do it that way for... reasons.

Glad I'm wrong.

Edit: Ah thank you mkenyon.

Just a random tip for people. New motherboards that boot UEFI will only be able to read from the FAT32 file system, so you might need to follow a guide on how to create your USB installation using the legacy file system.

I know I was pounding my head against the wall when I attempted to boot off a NTFS install drive created with the official tool.

Turns out a simple drag-drop to FAT32 from a NTFS formatted install drive did the trick for me.

Other than that slight hiccup, it's a super easy process.

Mogwai

It may be more silent, but the NZXT Hawik 140 has similar performance and is more silent. The 212 may be the best buy for the money though as the temps don't drop as much as you'd think with a better cooler on Ivy Bridge. The small CPU die with thermal paste between it and the heatspreader acts as an insulator making an overclocked chip hit 70-80C even though the cooler is never above 40. A better cooler will of course improve temps, but the difference is much smaller than on other chips. The 3770k is pretty much identical temp wise.

Notice how the difference of only 5C between the H100i on low and max. The fans on the 212 can also be swapped for better performance, but I think the Hawik is the best bet. It is very similar to the NH-D14. In overclock3d.net's review with the highest OC the difference is 69.15 delta temp on NH-D14 vs 69.7 delta with the Hawik 140.
Nice chart!

Never heard of Havik though. Gotta check that out.

kennah

LOL. I absolutely had an extra zero in there. I'm just a trainwreck over here.

I missed the deal. Don't have the cash on hand atm. That's OK, though. I really do appreciate the tip anyway.

So using your parts there should land me a usable computer, hm? I'm going to sort out my money, and look in to this. Thanks very much.

If you or anybody have any other tips to get my hands on a roughly $1000 computer (not $10,000), I'd love to hear them. I do not want to build personally. I don't have to go through Memory Express, either.

Ncix has the same deal (for $5 more), but then you'd have to get your hands dirty and actually build the thing yourself (Which you should do anyway). I think Memory Express is your best bet (though I dont' really know edmonton stores that well). They generally have good service and knowledgeable people. Spent an hour in there the other day talking cases with a tech.

DJ_Lae

Ncix has the same deal (for $5 more), but then you'd have to get your hands dirty and actually build the thing yourself (Which you should do anyway). I think Memory Express is your best bet (though I dont' really know edmonton stores that well). They generally have good service and knowledgeable people. Spent an hour in there the other day talking cases with a tech.

I found them pretty unhelpful the one time I was in there (Edmonton north), but maybe that's because it was black friday and everyone was grumpy.

DJ_Lae

Anywhere in Edmonton you'd recommend him to go?

No, they're pretty much the only decent place as far as I've seen.

I haven't lived here for too long, though. The computer I built the other month mostly consisted of parts I ordered from NCIX. I realize if I had gone with Memory Express it would have made returns/exchanges easier, but oh well.

I'd imagine my experience there was not normal.

Dammit. I accidentally ordered an i5 3570 instead of a 3570k, and I was too late to cancel the order from Amazon. This will be my first Amazon return :/.

Now I'm wondering if I should opt for a 3770k; my plan was to overclock the 3570k, but I'm wondering if the extra 100 bucks is worth getting the faster CPU... I do want to futureproof this thing.

mr2xxx

Banned
Dammit. I accidentally ordered an i5 3570 instead of a 3570k, and I was too late to cancel the order from Amazon. This will be my first Amazon return :/.

Now I'm wondering if I should opt for a 3770k; my plan was to overclock the 3570k, but I'm wondering if the extra 100 bucks is worth getting the faster CPU... I do want to futureproof this thing.

That money would be better spent on a GPU unless you already have one of the top ones.

Do they they have a Windows 8 iso because I could never find it? I upgraded to 8 but didn't do it where I got the iso,

bro1

Banned
That money would be better spent on a GPU unless you already have one of the top ones.

Do they they have a Windows 8 iso because I could never find it? I upgraded to 8 but didn't do it where I got the iso,

When I bought windows 8 they sent me a link to download the thumb drive bootable. works great

I currently have a GTX 680, and plan on picking up another one after this initial build. Hmmm, Maybe the 3770k is overkill...

Speaking of the Windows 7 ISO; if you don't currently have a physical copy of windows 7, how do you get a license for it? It's hard to find an answer on the Window's site, since they're pushing 8 stuff everywhere. Or is it just better to buy it retail somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom