• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Um, I don't have an iPad, but with my Google Nexus, I can either just connect it to PC via USB, at which point the memory just shows as a removable drive on the PC, or maybe upload it through image hosting?
i am building the pc now...

Alexios

Did you get the cpu power connected? It's 8-pin and usually located at the top of the board and easy to miss - and a pain in the ass if you have a larger heat sink.

It's odd that you're not even seeing the motherboard power up.
yes, i have that connector in directly from psu, the large mobo connector also from psu w many pins, usb 3 small many pins from case to mobo, hd audio from case to mobo, gpu 6 pin from psu and also 8 pin, sata 2 stuff for hdds and optical, and power for those devces, and fans connected to power and one to the mobo. Also the small pins for hdd led, reboot power, etc, from case to mobo. Anythin obvious missing?

Sent the mail mkenyon. Should this mobo have a led when it has power?

Z77-D3H

Recheck your front panel connections then (those really small 2-pin connectors, with a + and -). If those aren't hooked up correctly, especially in this case your power button, then nothing will happen when you hit it.

Check your mother board manual as to how to hook them up, although a lot of times the names in the manual and the names on the connectors themselves (since they're a part of the case) don't match up. But usually you can figure it out. And personally, I always have a hard time telling which pin is + and which is -.

HoosTrax

Also the small pins for hdd led, reboot power, etc, from case to mobo. Anythin obvious missing?
Hopefully this also includes the actual Power On connector. You can jump start the motherboard with a screwdriver by bridging the two pins on the motherboard, if you need to test to make sure the cases's connectors aren't defective somehow.

Alexios

Recheck your front panel connections then (those really small 2-pin connectors, with a + and -). If those aren't hooked up correctly, especially in this case your power button, then nothing will happen when you hit it.

Check your mother board manual as to how to hook them up, although a lot of times the names in the manual and the names on the connectors themselves (since they're a part of the case) don't match up. But usually you can figure it out. And personally, I always have a hard time telling which pin is + and which is -.
Yes only my hdd led cable has +- marks so i tried the rest both ways.

My case has no speaker and sasis intrusion cables to,connect there though so i have empty pins, is that not ok?

fans dont boot either obv, not even psu fan.

mkenyon

Banned
Alextended's pics:

Tl2AjEM.jpg

fU8nn7G.jpg

nMuT1Yp.jpg

LYtzMH7.jpg

uK9JX7U.jpg

Alexios

Thanks, sorry so dark, bad light in my room...
Not pictured the power to drives cables only.

So, gpu 8 and 6 pins (umm it seems the 8 pin only has 6 active too?), switches/leds and hdd sata 2s, audio and I think usb from case, big mobo many pins from psu and usb3 from case, last is 8 pin near the cpu, top left, from psu.

Yes only my hdd led cable has +- marks so i tried the rest both ways.

My case has no speaker and sasis intrusion cables to,connect there though so i have empty pins, is that not ok?

That's fine. Right now your PWR (?) connection is the most important. The others are usually for HDD indicator light, reset button, speaker..... I forget the others, if any. But I'm pretty sure those don't need to be attached - for instance if you didn't want your front HDD light to blink.

Right now, given your symptoms, I still think that would be it. I suppose you could try Hoostrak's awesome-sounding jumpstart method though. I've never heard of it, but jamming screwdrivers into your motherboard sounds awesome, so you should try it and get back to us.

kennah

That's fine. Right now your PWR (?) connection is the most important. The others are usually for HDD indicator light, reset button, speaker..... I forget the others, if any. But I'm pretty sure those don't need to be attached - for instance if you didn't want your front HDD light to blink.

Right now, given your symptoms, I still think that would be it. I suppose you could try Hoostrak's awesome-sounding jumpstart method though. I've never heard of it, but jamming screwdrivers into your motherboard sounds awesome, so you should try it and get back to us.

That's been my primary method of starting my computer for more than one machine :p

Even better I would just run the screwdriver along the pins until it started (this was before motherboards were labelled with this information)

It isn't really jamming, just connecting 2 leads with something metal. It is a good way to test components out of the case before routing cables and mounting stuff to make nothing is doa.

Thanks, sorry so dark, bad light in my room...
Not pictured the power to drives cables only.

So, gpu 8 and 6 pins (umm it seems the 8 pin only has 6 active too?), switches/leds and hdd sata 2s, audio and I think usb from case, big mobo many pins from psu and usb3 from case, last is 8 pin near the cpu, top left, from psu.

What case is that? Thinking of why it has usb3.0 and 2.0 connections.

Alexios

Well i also dont get any led on though. I tried the pwr sw connector either way, removed the rest to not be in the way etc and get nothing, im scared of getting electrocuted to do the screwdriver thing. Using a swiss multitool. Could my psu have died from switching from one build to the other?

I also tried without connecting anything but the two mobo power cables and awitches and nothing...

HoosTrax

Despite what it sounds like, I'm not trying to blow up his new build or get him killed :p. This is a normal way of starting the motherboard if you're testing parts outside of the case. Although, I think nowadays, some of the fancier boards actually have a red Start button on the motherboard itself for this purpose.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I usually try and solve technical issues myself, but the answer to this has eluded me. Hopefully someone here can help me.

I built a new PC a month or two ago. Everything was fine until one time when I started up the PC and it said it couldn't find the boot device. I went in out of options and I finally fixed it or it fixed itself. I go to shutdown my computer a week or so later and it says It wants to install an update (I have it selected so it won't install anything without asking me), and the next time I power the system on I get the same message.

The bios sees the hard drive. I can select it as the device to boot. I have problems where it doesn't see the Windows 7 parition when trying to do a recovery. I think this might have to do with the system being in AHCI Mode and not having the drivers (I think I had a similar problem at setup). It is an Asus Mother. I try and see if I can load drivers off of the disc that came with the motherboard, but there are hundereds of files in folders on the CD and any of the ones I select it doesn't like. My previous comp could detect partitions without drivers. When I was fixing it the first time I noticed switching to IDE would allow me to see the Windows 7 parition in recovery, but trying to load Windows with IDE causes a blue screen as Windows is starting.

The times when Chkdsk was working it didn't find anything wrong with my OS Hard Drive, a Samsung 830.

The other thing that might be messing up certain portions of me trying to get it to work is that one of the hard disks in my computer was a part of a Vista desktop and when I try to do recovery it fixes the partition table, but only does that.

Despite what it sounds like, I'm not trying to blow up his new build or get him killed :p. This is a normal way of starting the motherboard if you're testing parts outside of the case. Although, I think nowadays, some of the fancier boards actually have a red Start button on the motherboard itself for this purpose.

And just to prove that he isn't trying to blow up his new build...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=d_56kyib-Ls#t=851s

Honestly don't know if this will help the guys problem though other then seeing if he plugged the power button into the correct thing.

Alexios

Mkenyon emailed u a pic of the mobo cable, i think it is damaged cos one of the slots for pins seems to not have metal inside...

mkenyon

Banned
I know that has to be related to the windows boot manager, but beyond that I'm unsure.
Mkenyon emailed u a pic of the mobo cable, i think it is damaged cos one of the slots for pins seems to not have metal inside...
Should be fine. Try the paperclip method to ensure that your PSU can turn on:

24%20pin%20with%20bridge.gif

Alexios

It isn't really jamming, just connecting 2 leads with something metal. It is a good way to test components out of the case before routing cables and mounting stuff to make nothing is doa.

What case is that? Thinking of why it has usb3.0 and 2.0 connections.
carbide 400r, i dunno why it would have usb 2 too, i can only see usb 3 slots up front but it has that cabl hanging off still, and its not to convert usb 3 to 2, it has that as extra too. It doesnt have a detailed manual, only a crappy quick atart with no details, and the pins on that cable match the usb 2 slots on mobo exactly...

bro1

Banned
Tried putting my Corsair R300 case into my home theater stand (big wooden huge box from Pottery Barn) and that was a huge mistake. While the case fit and the front is open my temps spiked by 10c!

Anybody have a favorite smallish case for a Sabertooth Z77 mobo?

Also, a bit of advice I just learned the hard way: watch how much thermal paste you use. What I thought was a pea size drop was too much. Reseated my Hyper 212 with even less paste and my temps dropped by 5c which is great.

mkenyon

Banned
So you've tried turning it on with JUST the 8 Pin CPU, 24 Pin ATX, and video card power?
Tried putting my Corsair R300 case into my home theater stand (big wooden huge box from Pottery Barn) and that was a huge mistake. While the case fit and the front is open my temps spiked by 10c!

Anybody have a favorite smallish case for a Sabertooth Z77 mobo?

Also, a bit of advice I just learned the hard way: watch how much thermal paste you use. What I thought was a pea size drop was too much. Reseated my Hyper 212 with even less paste and my temps dropped by 5c which is great.
Whatever case you put in there will have the temps spike significantly.

The smallest ATX cases I can think of are the Lian Li A05 and V700.

Alexios

So you've tried turning it on with JUST the 8 Pin CPU, 24 Pin ATX, and video card power?
i tried this without even gpu power.

I connected the 24 pin mobo cable to the old pc mobo and no other cables and its green led turned on just now after plugging psu back in so i take it thats not the problem?

Could the mobo be doa? Since no led?

carbide 400r, i dunno why it would have usb 2 too, i can only see usb 3 slots up front but it has that cabl hanging off still, and its not to convert usb 3 to 2, it has that as extra too. It doesnt have a detailed manual, only a crappy quick atart with no details, and the pins on that cable match the usb 2 slots on mobo exactly...

Just looked up that case, and I think that is a firewire cable, not usb 2.0. Unplug it from the usb2.0 header.

bro1

Banned

Whatever case you put in there will have the temps spike significantly.

The smallest ATX cases I can think of are the Lian Li A05 and V700.

Sucks though! I would be scared to OC if it keep it in the wood case. Going to have to have it on the outside of my entertainment center. WAF is low and she is letting me know ;-(

mkenyon

Banned
i tried this without even gpu power.

I connected the 24 pin mobo cable to the old pc mobo and no other cables and its green led turned on just now after plugging psu back in so i take it thats not the problem?

Could the mobo be doa? Since no led?
It might be shorting on something, try getting it to boot outside of the case. Put the mobo on top of a cardboard box or wooden desk.

Well I don't really want to tell you what you should or shouldn't get. If you have the cash and are willing to live with the fact that the next generation of card's mid range will be as good or better then the 680 for much less, then go for it.

As for recommendations, it is hard not knowing the level of quality you want and the price you would put on it. I just put some 7950s in a few computers I build for people for Christmas, and I liked how they ended up. AMD does have a better deal going on right now for the games you get for buying some of their cards too. But if you are interested in using the 2d lightboost stuff on a 120hz monitor you would need to go nvidia.

But yeah, I'm not meaning to convince you not to get a 680 if you want it, it defiantly will make things look better. Just that you shouldn't go into it thinking it will last.

Hmm... I how far off is the next generation of cards?

6-9 Months.

Hmm.......... I may hold off then. I'm putting a lot of money down since this is my first build and I don't want to end up replacing the card in less than half a year especially with cards being so expensive. I'll just play my backlog of indie games which my laptop can handle.

Alexios

It might be shorting on something, try getting it to boot outside of the case. Put the mobo on top of a cardboard box or wooden desk.
tried this with just 24 pin and cpu power cables and pw sw and nothing. Maybe it has no led.

ok, still nothing, and be4 conecting that too since i didnt from start. Cant see where to connect it though.

Not all motherboards have a firewire header.

It does sound more and more like your motherboard is fried though, if the mb led isn't even coming on and it isn't shorting out on anything. What motherboard do you have so I can look up some info on it.

Hmm.......... I may hold off then. I'm putting a lot of money down since this is my first build and I don't want to end up replacing the card in less than half a year especially with cards being so expensive. I'll just play my backlog of indie games which my laptop can handle.

Just watch out. Could enter a deadly cycle of always waiting for the next big thing. (now is a good time to wait anyway if you can since haswel is coming relatively soon as well)

Alexios

Not all motherboards have a firewire header.

It does sound more and more like your motherboard is fried though, if the mb led isn't even coming on and it isn't shorting out on anything. What motherboard do you have so I can look up some info on it.

Just watch out. Could enter a deadly cycle of always waiting for the next big thing. (now is a good time to wait anyway if you can since haswel is coming relatively soon as well)
gigabyte z77-d3h

It would suck if for your first build you got a doa motherboard. I've done a bunch of builds and I think the only doa I've ever gotten was a stick of RAM or something.

Sorry, amigo, I'm out of ideas.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
Man, I just fucked up big time PC-Gaf. I was putting a PC together for mom and I didn't realize the AMD-A8 I was using needed a FM1 chipset instead of an AMD3, so I just bent some of the pins trying to put the stock fan on :(

Is it completely fucked or can I maybe put the pins back in place? I can return the motherboard and just get the right one I believe (ordered that from newegg), but I'm pretty sure the CPU is broke. I got it from amazon and I know their customer service is boss, but I can't just replace something I broke, can I? Because I'm broke as well and don't want to have to eat $100 to replace it.

ruxtpin

Banned
It would suck if for your first build you got a doa motherboard. I've done a bunch of builds and I think the only doa I've ever gotten was a stick of RAM or something.

Sorry, amigo, I'm out of ideas.

My first build 10-ish years ago, I got a DOA motherboard. Got all psyched to build my first PC, parents paid for it as my high-school graduation present, get all the parts, put it together (I had assistance from another builder at that time), and what do ya' know... motherboard was defunct. Had to wait a couple of weeks for the return/replacement.

My first build 10-ish years ago, I got a DOA motherboard. Got all psyched to build my first PC, parents paid for it as my high-school graduation present, get all the parts, put it together (I had assistance from another builder at that time), and what do ya' know... motherboard was defunct. Had to wait a couple of weeks for the return/replacement.

So, did they give you the business about how you should have just bought one prebuilt from the professionals?

gigabyte z77-d3h

Sorry bro, but I am getting way too tired right now. Will look up more about this tomorrow if you are still around, do hope you get it figured out by then though and it isn't just a fried motherboard. Odd though that you just got it new, and from the little I've been able to look around it seems like it was discontinued.

Is it completely fucked or can I maybe put the pins back in place?

Are they broken off completely, or just bent? It is possible to bend pins back into place using something like the head of a pen. If they are broken, or there is other damage you are sol though.

Alexios

So, did they give you the business about how you should have just bought one prebuilt from the professionals?

Sorry bro, but I am getting way too tired right now. Will look up more about this tomorrow if you are still around, do hope you get it figured out by then though and it isn't just a fried motherboard. Odd though that you just got it new, and from the little I've been able to look around it seems like it was discontinued.
well they have a to pn of variants of that range, not uncommon to stop making one surely? Just stores here have it in stock still I guess, I looked up reviews and it seemed good for the price.

brentech

Re-arranged my office after building the new PC. Every piece of furniture is in a different place in the room, but I'm liking this layout much better. Also new rug. Need to work on some more wire management. get them to all come together under the desk or something.
Picture was taken from my couch.

8595128481_9cfc99455c_c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom