• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm going from one Nvidia video card to another, what should I do in regards to drivers and all that jazz? Is it okay to just drop the new card in and start 'er up?

ss_lemonade

Finally have something running here. My wife wanted to help but she ended up doing most of the work lol. I think she did great, especially with this being her first ever pc build.

I know its still missing a gpu (and an ssd) but those will come hopefully soon. Thanks gaf, especially mkenyon!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Do people use those harddirives anymore? Newegg isn't letting me return it
Call them.
Also there is a reason Amazon is listed above Newegg.
Welp. It's all on it's way; made a few minor changes after some advice received here...

CPU Cooler: Zalman 120mm fan

*Trying to see if I can get Windows from my school, even tho I graduated last year.
Rifle style right? Not the terrible other ones that will cut you? Don't get cut.
Doing a little bit of cable management for my PC (long overdue) and was wondering. I have an EVGA 670, and it has two 6 slot power slots on the top of the card. My power supply has two cords each with 2 of the 6 piece adapters. Can I just use one cord with the two 6-pin adapters or should I use one each from the two cords?

Does it make a difference? Am I making any sense at all? After reading it, I confused myself, but maybe someone can help me!
It shouldn't. You could use the two on one so it looks nicer.
Possibly, the PSU would like it if you ran the power through two, but it should be handle it fine. Very minor.
If I'm going from one Nvidia video card to another, what should I do in regards to drivers and all that jazz? Is it okay to just drop the new card in and start 'er up?
Shouldn't. I'd do it anyway though myself :p

Rootbeer

Banned
Ugh I keep having problems with my PC dropping my hard drives (different ones), i've been changing the sata ports and PSU cords/ports but it's happened again last night. the computer sees them in the bios but i can't access them at all. i'm really dumbfouned by this and i think it's a mobo or psu problem, i'm not sure.

bigger problem is I really don't want to pour more money into this aging 2009 rig when I really, really want to build a haswell rig soon!!

Hurry up intel! I don't know how much longer i can wait -__-

kewlmyc

It's a computer.
It'll struggle with just about anything demanding. Don't sink any money into upgrading it beyond some low power PCI-E card.

Last thing is see if your N520 will cut a high overclock or not.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to bet the EVO 212 now since it overclocks better. I'm also getting a SABERTOOTH Z77 due to a friends advice. I'll also be keeping the 3D stuff in since I'll be using it for mostly my 3D blu ray movies.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the help. I'm going to bet the EVO 212 now since it overclocks better. I'm also getting a SABERTOOTH Z77 due to a friends advice. I'll also be keeping the 3D stuff in since I'll be using it for mostly my 3D blu ray movies.

Thanks for the advice

Your friend gave you bad advise. The p8z77-v pro board does everything that the sabertooth does, and more, for less money. Could probably even drop the pro and still have one that does everything you need.

abunai

Ugh I keep having problems with my PC dropping my hard drives (different ones), i've been changing the sata ports and PSU cords/ports but it's happened again last night. the computer sees them in the bios but i can't access them at all. i'm really dumbfouned by this and i think it's a mobo or psu problem, i'm not sure.

bigger problem is I really don't want to pour more money into this aging 2009 rig when I really, really want to build a haswell rig soon!!

Hurry up intel! I don't know how much longer i can wait -__-

Do the drives show up in windows disk management?

Alright, in somewhat of a drunken state last night, I ordered all the parts for my Super-Gaben Steambox.

I decided to go with mATX and the SilverStone FT03B. That should give me a little more room to play with over ITX - especially in regard to wire management - and the aesthetics and footprint of it are exactly what I was looking for within a home theater setup. At first I was a little turned off at its internals - very unorthodox - but after a few reviews of praise I was sold.

Asus Maximus V Gene Z77 - probably the most I've ever spent on a motherboard. The only reason I went with it was for the (supposedly) superb onboard sound. Plus I like Asus.

i5 2500K

Thermaltake V1 (hope it fits)

G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600

EVGA 650Ti Boost

Corsair CX430

Not the most beastly of machines, but it should push 1080 well enough for the next year or so. Right now my main concern is the noise levels of EVGA stock cooler. I almost always buy cards with larger, aftermarket fans, but for this case I wanted a cooler that exhausted the hot air. Hopefully it won't be too bad, or that I can at least tame it a bit with Afterburner.

I also ordered that 360 wireless control as well, along with a Logitech K400 keyboard/touchpad for couch surfing. Once it's all hooked up I plan on breaking it in with a little Bioshock. Should be fun.

Also, when did Newegg start to suck? That site has fallen from grace.

The 2500K is $160 and the 3570K is $190. It's always a slippery slope, but is the Ivy Bridge worth $30? I've read they're pretty comparable.

I've long sworn off Antec. Too many problems with them and their psu's.

kharma45

And you get PCIe 3 which if you get a top end GPU say from the next generation or two may well be worth it.

I'd worry about that Corsair unit too, it isn't great and is very much built to a price.

Lucid07

So I just bought an ssd, how would I go about installing the OS on it, uninstalling the OS off mu hdd but keeping the games on there?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Guys I got all my parts, I'm trying to install the CPU and when I place the safety cover over it, which you have to push with the lever thing, it feels like it applies too much pressure to be right. Is that normal? I can hear it, I'm scared I'll break something.

i7 3770K, Gigabyte Z77-D3H

knitoe

So I just bought an ssd, how would I go about installing the OS on it, uninstalling the OS off mu hdd but keeping the games on there?
Clone the HDD to SSD or new OS install on the SSD.

Guys I got all my parts, I'm trying to install the CPU and when I place the safety cover over it, which you have to push with the lever thing, it feels like it applies too much pressure to be right. Is that normal? I can hear it, I'm scared I'll break something.

That's normal.

haha. I remember my first build too.

Jam that sucker down!!

disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage incurred forthwith

bro1

Banned
My i5 3570K under maximum load in P95 (lots of heat test) is spiking up to 65c on one core at stock with an Evo 212. Is that high and should I reseat it? It gets up to 73c on one core if I also run Heaven or Valley at the same time. It's just on one core though, the rest are much lower.

I just installed a new Silverstone 600w Silver PSU and moved my PC and I'm concerned it my Evo may have moved. Is there any danger in reseating the heatsink?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ok I'm about to shut off this PC to rip out the PSU and HDDs. I will need to reinstall Windows 7, right? Or has the process been improved since and I can just jam the HDDs as they are in the new PC and just install new chipset etc drivers after booting?

ruxtpin

Banned
Uh - silly question - but I'm assuming that Windows 7 is still my best choice for gaming when it comes to OS? I should avoid Win8?

And you get PCIe 3 which if you get a top end GPU say from the next generation or two may well be worth it.

I'd worry about that Corsair unit too, it isn't great and is very much built to a price.

Really isn't good to be planing things like that. 2 generations away may even be generous planing for when pcie 3 is even useful, and by then you can be upgrading again with all the ducats you saved from not trying to "future proof".

That CPU is kinda shady though, you are right.

A bigger issue though, is that the SilverStone FT03B is an M ITX case. Were you thinking about the TJ08B-E? That is the really nice SilverStone m atx case.

Jas

Jas said:
Slightly off topic but need a little bit of help, I'm trying to get a graphics card out of a Dell XPS 435T but not sure how to unattach this part...

3377.photo-_2800_1_2900_.JPG

It's a black piece of plastic that's on top of the card that extends beyond the card and attaches to a black piece of plastic that is in front of a fan.

I've unattached everything else from the card, push down the retainer clip but can't get the card to budge.

I have a quick question for you folks. I upgraded my windows 8 BETA to windows 8 pro with the upgarde windows 7 promo for 14.99.

my questions is if I need to format and re-install how can I do this? can I write down my windows key from withing windows? then just re-install and use my key?

Ty4on

The 2500K is $160 and the 3570K is $190. It's always a slippery slope, but is the Ivy Bridge worth $30? I've read they're pretty comparable.

I've long sworn off Antec. Too many problems with them and their psu's.

With decent cooling the 2500k can overclock around 10% higher than the 3570k. If you dare delid then the 3570k can also hit 5Ghz, but otherwise they're pretty similar in performance when overclocked.

Any of you guys good with overclocking? I have an ASUS GTX 570 and using MSIAfterburner, I can change all the settings and GPU-Z shows them as changed by when I run benchmarks, the outcomes are the same?

Anyone know why this could be happening?

Lucid07

Any of these worth upgrading?

Mobo: Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 >> Z77
CPU: i5 2500k >> 3750k
GPU: 2GB 680
RAM: G.Skill 8GB
HDD: 1TB HDD
SSD: Samsung 840 pro 256GB
PSU: AX850

snack

When Ivy Bridge first releases, were people skeptical about it? I hear alot about Haswell being overhyped yadda yadda. What's your guys' take on this?

Ty4on

When Ivy Bridge first releases, were people skeptical about it? I hear alot about Haswell being overhyped yadda yadda. What's your guys' take on this?

Very. People were very dissapointed it could only boost performance by like 5% in some benches and how it got hot really quickly regardless of how good the cooler was.

Any of these worth upgrading?

Mobo: Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 >> Z77
CPU: i5 2500k >> 3750k
GPU: 2GB 680
RAM: G.Skill 8GB
HDD: 1TB HDD
SSD: Samsung 840 pro 256GB
PSU: AX850

Jesus no. There are people that are still not picking a 2500k over a 3750k when buying a new rig. You are good for a while.

Yes they were. It was disappointing compared to the previous gen. Most places I go to though Haswel doesn't have that much hype behind it because of how the 3570k didn't live up to expectations.

Really isn't good to be planing things like that. 2 generations away may even be generous planing for when pcie 3 is even useful, and by then you can be upgrading again with all the ducats you saved from not trying to "future proof".

That CPU is kinda shady though, you are right.

A bigger issue though, is that the SilverStone FT03B is an M ITX case. Were you thinking about the TJ08B-E? That is the really nice SilverStone m atx case.

I completely agree that 'future proofing' is a fools errand. I gave up on that concept long ago and I purchase for my current needs. I think I'm going to stick with the Sandy Bridge. Thirty bucks is thirty bucks, and a small OC will more than make up for any performance gap. Seems like the biggest leap with Ivy Bridge was the onboard graphics.

My last two psu's have been Corsair and they've been rock solid for me, so I'm going to stick with them. Not sure what you guys find 'shady' about it.

FT03 is both mATX and ITX.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Intake or exhaust for the cooler? Here are some temps. Min were idle and Max were using Intel Burn Test.

Intake seems better but now it's disrupting the airflow through the case. Not sure what to keep them at.

Also I have everything set at Silent.

Exhaust:
  • Min 37 - 40 - 39 - 39
  • Max 68 - 74 - 72 - 69
Intake
  • Min 32 - 34 - 33 - 34
  • Max 62 - 68 - 65 - 63

Any of you guys good with overclocking? I have an ASUS GTX 570 and using MSIAfterburner, I can change all the settings and GPU-Z shows them as changed by when I run benchmarks, the outcomes are the same?

Anyone know why this could be happening?

Not enough OC to make a difference? Your cpu is bottlenecking the benchmark? Tough to say....

knitoe

I completely agree that 'future proofing' is a fools errand. I gave up on that concept long ago and I purchase for my current needs. I think I'm going to stick with the Sandy Bridge. Thirty bucks is thirty bucks, and a small OC will more than make up for any performance gap. Seems like the biggest leap with Ivy Bridge was the onboard graphics.

My last two psu's have been Corsair and they've been rock solid for me, so I'm going to stick with them. Not sure what you guys find 'shady' about it.

FT03 is both mATX and ITX.

The closest thing to "future proofing" in PC are only the PSUs. Get a good one and it can last you for many builds. I have been using my 1000W for almost 7 years, and currently, is powering my SLI Titans. People thought I was crazy to spend that much money on it back then, but look how much money I save over the years by not having to constantly buy new PSUs. People go all out with the CPU and GPU, but make a mistake by trying to save some money here.

Ty4on

Intake or exhaust for the cooler? Here are some temps. Min were idle and Max were using Intel Burn Test.

Intake seems better but now it's disrupting the airflow through the case. Not sure what to keep them at.

Also I have everything set at Silent.

Exhaust:
  • Min 37 - 40 - 39 - 39
  • Max 68 - 74 - 72 - 69
Intake
  • Min 32 - 34 - 33 - 34
  • Max 62 - 68 - 65 - 63
Check GPU and chipset temps. If it's Ivy Bridge chances are they're pretty similar because Ivy as an intake doesn't lead to very high case temps. I'd keep it at an intake because it's much harder to cool Ivy than any GPU.

Ty4on

From what I've seen they trade blows for the most part. The Nvidia was about $15 cheaper and I like to support EVGA when I can. I don't regret the choice (yet).
If you go for an FT03 you also need a cooler that doesn't have long heatpipes. They're not ment to be mounted vertically and the liquid will get stuck at the bottom instead of moving around cooling the GPU. Blowers are perfect for the FT03 and its airflow and there are no blower 7850 except for some few reference models.

kharma45

Actually according to the HardOCP review the 650 Ti Boost is slightly faster than the 7850.

TechPowerUp and Tom's saying the same (by 2%) but Anandtech rates the 7850, as does TechReport. "Right now, the Radeon HD 7850 2GB offers equivalent performance per dollar to the GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost according to our 99th-percentile metric. It consumes less power, as well, which makes it easier to cool quietly. Last, but not least, it comes with a much more tantalizing game bundle: Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite. Given those factors alone, the Radeon looks like the better choice—even if you have to pay a $10 premium over the vanilla GTX 650 Ti Boost." Just depends on the reviews, seem split over which is faster.

Also worth noting with the 2GB 650 Ti Boost you're effectively only getting 1.5GB VRAM too because of the 192-bit memory bus and a good 7850 will overclock to almost stock 7950 levels which the 650 Ti Boost can't match.

You'll not go wrong with either though tbh, I just feel that the 7850 still offers the better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom