• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE:MILKMAN

Completed my modest upgrade this evening. Everything went smoothly and took just 45 minutes to swap everything over. (and 2 hours to install/update windows!)

In the end I went with the AMD A6 5400K/8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz RAM/AsRock FM2A75Pro4-M mobo/Corsair builder series 430M PSU. Very pleased with performance so far for the £185 cost.

Thanks Kharma for the advice.

Just wondering whether to connect my Rega Brio R/Dac combo via USB or Optical......Anyone have any links to help me out?

kharma45

Completed my modest upgrade this evening. Everything went smoothly and took just 45 minutes to swap everything over. (and 2 hours to install/update windows!)

In the end I went with the AMD A6 5400K/8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz RAM/AsRock FM2A75Pro4-M mobo/Corsair builder series 430M PSU. Very pleased with performance so far for the £185 cost.

Thanks Kharma for the advice.

Just wondering whether to connect my Rega Brio R/Dac combo via USB or Optical......Anyone have any links to help me out?

Might this thread be of any use? http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi...ut-on-my-mac-the-best-way-to-connect-to-a-dac

I've no clue myself so I tried to do some searching.

In the market for a $200 video card. Looking into a Radeon HD 7850 2gb card specifically. Is there any preference to manufacturer? I've seen prices as low as $179.99. And as it comes with Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider, it's hard to pass up.

For ATI I've always kinda liked Sapphire. Their Toxic cards are great.

Would you guys advise me building a $800 PC now and wait for a better GPU down the line, rather than spend $1600 for a high-end gaming PCs based on current parts?

Or does it not matter?

kharma45

After watching I'm fine with getting Intel still but still hope stuff starts getting optimized more for these AMD cpus.

I believe AMD's CPUs will get better as games become optimised for more threads (take Crysis 3 for example) but what he did in that video was utter rubbish.

Going off of what Ty4on posted earlier about mounting video cards (heat tubes) vertically, does anybody have a site where they've done testing or anything? I was curious and wanted to read more about it but Google has failed me. Or I've failed Google. One or the other.

Would you guys advise me building a $800 PC now and wait for a better GPU down the line, rather than spend $1600 for a high-end gaming PCs based on current parts?

Or does it not matter?

It doesn't matter, because there's always going to be a better GPU down the line. Figure out the kinds of games you like to play and at what resolution you want to push, and build what you need. But that's just me.

$800 to $1600 is a pretty huge spread..... Are you trying to decide between a 460 and a Titan?

It doesn't matter, because there's always going to be a better GPU down the line. Figure out the kinds of games you like to play and at what resolution you want to push, and build what you need. But that's just me.

$800 to $1600 is a pretty huge spread..... Are you trying to decide between a 460 and a Titan?
Well, if I'm going with a high-end GPU I'll probably be getting the 7970. If I'm going with a cheaper build in general, I don't know which GPU I should consider tbh.

My friend would like to build a budget PC and the AMD Trinity looked like a good option. I know the CPU is weaker than Core i3 but the GPU is suppose to be much better. I'm trying to keep it around $400 with OS while reusing monitor, dvd drive, and HDD I think.

ss_lemonade

Been experimenting oc'ing my 3570k + asrock z77 extreme4 setup (following this OC guide) and I reach this before getting instability

How do the temps and voltages look for 4.5? This is after an hour of prime95 testing using the settings suggested at the guide above. I initially got a system freeze exactly after an hour (moved the mouse then bam, freeze) but increasing Turbo Boost seems to have fixed that

scogoth

Don't spend money on a second card now. It's pretty much broken. You'd be better served by selling your card and getting two 670s at the moment.

We have confirmation from AMD that the patch will be out in July. BF4 won't be here till the fall. Not the best investment regardless, I would stay single GPU and wait till BF4 is released and see what the GPU landscape is like.

knitoe

Add more fans and remove a storage bay for better airflow, but I still can't keep my Titans under 80C. Doesn't seem possible under air only like some say.
VK68xNh.jpg

ruxtpin

Banned
Would anyone know of a cheaper place than Amazon to get a retail copy of Windows 7? I've been out of school too long to re-download my old copy of Windows 7 (and can't find the key).

Amazon has Windows 7 Home goes for 90 I believe. Wondering if anyone else here has found anything cheaper. Looking around Google now.

nbthedude

Trying to narrow down videocard options for my friend a bit. He will be playing on a TV, so no resolution over 1080p. But he obviously wants it to go without upgrading for a while.

So this currently thinking about:

This Saphhire 2GB 7870 GHZ OC for $204

vs.

XFX 7950 3GB for $270 after rebate.

Couple of questions:

1) Is the performance jump from a GHZ edition 7870 to a 7950 that significant?

2) I have never heard of XFX. Reliable brand?

3) I know this is somewhat reading tea leaves, but do you think that that Saphire 7870 GHZ would be solid enough to handle PS3/Next Xbox ports? Would the 7950?

knitoe

Wow. I am glad I went with Nvidia this time.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...ils-Capture-based-Graphics-Performance-Testin

AMD CrossFire Performance - A Bridge over Trouble Water?

Where AMD has definite issues is with HD 7970s in CrossFire, and our Frame Rating testing is bringing that to light in a startling fashion. In half of our tested games, the pair of Radeon HD 7970s in CrossFire showed no appreciable measured or observed increase in performance compared to a single HD 7970. I cannot overstate that point more precisely: our results showed that in Battlefield 3, Crysis 3 and Sleeping Dogs, adding in another $400+ Radeon HD 7970 did nothing to improve your gaming experience, and in some cases made it worse by introducing frame time variances that lead to stutter...

demented

Don't spend money on a second card now. It's pretty much broken. You'd be better served by selling your card and getting two 670s at the moment.
I'm only getting 1 now, was just thinking about the future. No plan to overclock or go sli/cfx until I need to. But then again, would it be wiser to get 670 instead of 7950 or hope they patch it properly hm. One thing I like about amd more is the games I get with the card heh
Trying to narrow down videocard options for my friend a bit. He will be playing on a TV, so no resolution over 1080p. But he obviously wants it to go without upgrading for a while.

vs.

Couple of questions:

3) I know this is somewhat reading tea leaves, but do you think that that Saphire 7870 GHZ would be solid enough to handle PS3/Next Xbox ports? Would the 7950?

Just gonna answer #2, from my personal experience yes. I was looking at xfx 7950 for example because it was cheaper than other versions and they told me it was because you don't get promotional games with it, at least in this shop. And I had one of their cards before and it help up pretty good for maaany years, still going in someone else's PC actually :D

Hawk269

A co-worker is looking for me to build him a new rig and his only requirment is that it plays WoW at 1080p/60fps at the highest possible settings, Ultra I assume is the highest for WoW.

He already has a 3570k CPU and Mobo to go with it...but not sure what GPU would allow him to hit this goal but also not break the bank. Any suggestions.

Can anyone provide any input please?

Thanks!

iavi

I hope one 7950 can do it. At least running at 1150/1575. Oh god please.

Nah. Not happening. An OC'd 7950 will probably max it out, and even hold it well over thirty, but I can't see a locked 60 with acceptable amounts of AA happening, especially so in MP.
Let's hope that update in July changes the landscape as far as xfire viability.

LegendX48

vs.

Couple of questions:

No, stay away from that XFX 7950, I had one for a couple days (that particular card you linked no less) before I decided to return it. It ran very loud and hot.

For comparison, my sapphire 7950 at 1110/1500 peaks at about 69c, the XFX 7950 would hit 80c at stock speeds -_-

edit: but idk, maybe they're all different but I've noticed some customer reviews mention the same issues as well

Bad7667

Hey guys, looking to upgrade from my GTX 460 and hopefully for under $400. I only have a 1080p monitor and I usually use my TV for single player. I've never had any problems with Nvidia, so I would like to buy another one from them.

Any suggestions?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Today I tried the screwdriver method and my PC seems to work well. Installing chipset stuff at the moment (Win7 worked without reinstall!).

What do I do to make it work from the switch now? I don't get any of those switches working, no HDD activity led shows either.

Hey guys, looking to upgrade from my GTX 460 and hopefully for under $400. I only have a 1080p monitor and I usually use my TV for single player. I've never had any problems with Nvidia, so I would like to buy another one from them.

Any suggestions?

i would say

GTX 660 Ti 3GB version (less than 400)
GTX 670 (right at 400)

Today I tried the screwdriver method and my PC seems to work well. Installing chipset stuff at the moment (Win7 worked without reinstall!).

What do I do to make it work from the switch now? I don't get any of those switches working, no HDD activity led shows either.

Oh hello again. Good to hear that you got the problem semi sorted out. I suspected the worst when you said the MB led wasn't even coming on, but guess you were talking about the power light on the case.

If you were able to turn it on with the screwdriver method, it means that either the front panel connectors were not inserted correctly, or that part of the case has something wrong with it. Much better situation either way since it means that at worse you would have to exchange the case. Make absolutely sure you are plugging those little cords into the proper headers and that they are in all the way. If you have another case laying around that you know the power and lights work on it may be worth plugging your motherboard into it just to test.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Windows Live Movie Maker is so aggravating right now. I'm trying to publish a movie to YouTube using the plugin, but I can't seem to login with my info. Thanks to Google integrating with YouTube, I don't know what the fuck my username is anymore. It's all connected to my gmail. Is that the "username" I should be using when trying to login with my YouTube info via Movie Maker? Because it isn't fucking working.

We have confirmation from AMD that the patch will be out in July. BF4 won't be here till the fall. Not the best investment regardless, I would stay single GPU and wait till BF4 is released and see what the GPU landscape is like.

Can I read up on this somewhere? What exactly did they say?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oh hello again. Good to hear that you got the problem semi sorted out. I suspected the worst when you said the MB led wasn't even coming on, but guess you were talking about the power light on the case.

If you were able to turn it on with the screwdriver method, it means that either the front panel connectors were not inserted correctly, or that part of the case has something wrong with it. Much better situation either way since it means that at worse you would have to exchange the case. Make absolutely sure you are plugging those little cords into the proper headers and that they are in all the way. If you have another case laying around that you know the power and lights work on it may be worth plugging your motherboard into it just to test.
No, I did mean the motherboard led. It doesn't seem to have one after all. Or I can't see it...

I don't really wanna put this new mobo in the crummy dirty last case I was using... its switch cables are too short to reach the other mobo without doing that.

The USB 3 and audio jack things on the case seem to work, just the switches and leds don't.

By the way, different issue, other than this, I also got the cheap logitech z323 speakers but I don't understand how to get a 2.1 setup going. Speaker management only lets me choose between stero or 5.1 and 7.1 etc systems, no 2.1. I tried choosing 5.1 and disabling the rear speakers but I still lose sounds doing that. Using onboard sound, VIA something something, VIA tools from the control panel don't seem to have anything at all of use.

DagsJT

What made you want to upgrade?

Workmate was selling his 680 and it wasn't going to cost me much to sell my 7950 and buy it off him.

My next problem is that my Z77-D3H board only supports Crossfire. Can't believe I was so stupid not to notice it didn't support SLI at the start. So at some point I'll have to replace my system board too.

No, I did mean the motherboard led. It doesn't seem to have one after all. Or I can't see it...

I don't really wanna put this new mobo in the crummy dirty last case I was using... its switch cables are too short to reach the other mobo without doing that.

The USB 3 and audio jack things on the case seem to work, just the switches and leds don't.

By the way, different issue, other than this, I also got the cheap logitech z323 speakers but I don't understand how to get a 2.1 setup going. Speaker management only lets me choose between stero or 5.1 and 7.1 etc systems, no 2.1. I tried choosing 5.1 and disabling the rear speakers but I still lose sounds doing that. Using onboard sound, VIA something something, VIA tools from the control panel don't seem to have anything at all of use.

Checked the manual for that MB when I woke up and didn't see the led either. Anyway, if you have all those little wires plugged in properly for the power switch and led then the only things that it could be is that that part of the case is messed up I think. Especially since you are able to short the two headers to turn the power on directly. Will do some googling around though to see if there is anything else that it could be.

As for your audio thing, stereo is the chose you may have to use if that is the only 2 speaker option and you have updated all your chipset and audio drivers.

My SSD arrives today any quick/ last minute tips before installing it?

The easiest way to go about setting it up is to just backup all your important things, and do a clean os install on it. Well that is just imo I guess. Just simpler in the long run then trying to clone stuff over and worry about settings. Even windows 7 will automatically set up things like trim and disable defragmentation.

DagsJT

Anyone done a refresh using Windows 8? In a child-like excitement, I just swapped my ATI card out for my Nvidia card and booted the PC. Used Driver fusion etc and cleared all ATI out and everything seems fine on the graphics side.

The odd thing is, since swapping cards, my media keys don't work on my Sidewinder X4 keyboard. I've downloaded the software etc and that's all installed but the keys are just dead. They were fine when using the ATI card the previous evening.

So I'm thinking I might as well clean up my Windows 8 install anyway, but still keep my files etc.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Add more fans and remove a storage bay for better airflow, but I still can't keep my Titans under 80C. Doesn't seem possible under air only like some say.
VK68xNh.jpg

The Titans run to a temperature target by design (default 80C). The only way you'll 'defeat' that is with watercooling or some ludicrously loud air cooling setup.

Edit: If you're playing something older, use EVGA Precision X to dial down the temp target.

gilljoy

So guys I'm just about to order my new system and I've just got one quick question. I need to upgrade now / replace my motherboard (which I don't want to do) and as such I can't wait for haswell. Will I be missing out much by just getting a 3770k?

Edit or should I go to AMD?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So guys I'm just about to order my new system and I've just got one quick question. I need to upgrade now / replace my motherboard (which I don't want to do) and as such I can't wait for haswell. Will I be missing out much by just getting a 3770k?

Edit or should I go to AMD?
An i7 now is quite fine. Haswell (stock) seems to be 10% faster. No idea on OC.
AMD is lacking in per core performance so nothing new.

Lucid07

The easiest way to go about setting it up is to just backup all your important things, and do a clean os install on it. Well that is just imo I guess. Just simpler in the long run then trying to clone stuff over and worry about settings. Even windows 7 will automatically set up things like trim and disable defragmentation.

Do I need to set up my bios to ahci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom