• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Looks sweet!

mkenyon, are we going to see any updates on the 50 shades of grey build this weekend?
I've had a week and a half from hell, not even time for my Dota addiction. However, it's looking like I am going to have a 5-6 hour window of free time on Saturday!

All my fittings came in, and picked up some really nice acrylic paint to do up the motherboard. I also ended up ordering the new Corsair braided cables, and actually prefer the aesthetic to MDPC, so I will be using those. The titanium ones actually have a shiny/sparkly thread in them that looks fucking fantastic with the rest of the parts.

Also got some really nice professional benders for 10mm pipe. The benders I had were for 3/8", and even though it is almost exactly the same as 10mm, it's just different enough to cause creases in the pipe. These new ones are fantastic though.

I will still be sleeving my fans, pumps, SATA cables, and front panel connectors though. Ordered some MDPC black for that.
Get the ASUS 144Hz monitor from the OP instead :p

Yes 1080p at 27" will do me. I am not looking to spend funny money at this time.

Edit:

I have single GTX 670 that I do not plan to change for a while so anything higher in resolution seems a waste to me (I like my 60FPS).

New computer! Tried by best with the cable management. Not bad for a first/second time I reckon.

(Not the best quality pics, but they'll have to do.)

8621217354_c0b7a48cb2_c.jpg

8621216514_d2cc3ea899_c.jpg

8620116361_bce46787a3_c.jpg

TJ08-E represent!

mkenyon

Banned
Yes 1080p at 27" will do me. I am not looking to spend funny money at this time.

Edit:

I have single GTX 670 that I do not plan to change for a while so anything higher in resolution seems a waste to me (I like my 60FPS).
If you really appreciate the smoothness of motion from 60FPS/Hz, you should really think about getting at least one 120/144Hz monitor. It's a game changer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh yeah, I forgot that they recommend that you update the bios first before using titan. Something about the firmware in it and how it interacts with the mobo. So if you haven't tried again since updating the bios, do that. If that doesn't work then try the method I mentioned.

Thanks -- I did that yesterday since it seemed to be a common recommendation, but didn't seem to do the trick. So I went back in, put the 295 back just to make sure I didn't mess anything else up and it worked fine. So now that it's properly working I did a clean install of the new Nvidia drivers. Tonight I'm going to swap the Titan back in and cross my fingers. I suspected maybe power but I called EVGA and they doubted that was the problem since the 295 sucks way more power than the Titan so if that works the Titan should. So fingers crossed for tonight basically. Otherwise I might have to RMA it, but really hope not because I don't feel it's the hardware that's the problem. grrr!

Madridy

If you really appreciate the smoothness of motion from 60FPS/Hz, you should really think about getting at least one 120/144Hz monitor. It's a game changer.

About 120/144Hz monitors:

Is Vsync not needed when using them to get rid of tearing?

even If I wanted to lock the FPS @ 60 for demanding games?

mkenyon

Banned
I've not noticed tearing at all since I've gone with 120Hz monitors.

I wasn't too sensitive to it before, but did notice it pretty bad in a couple games that drove me nuts. Borderlands was a big offender for me, and I definitely didn't see tearing in it last time I played.

JB1981

Yes, but look into powerline adapters instead.

Are these essentially ethernet adapters that plug into your power outlet? And these adapters communicate with your wireless router? Do you just plug your ethernet cord from your PC into the adapter and the adapter takes care of the rest?

mkenyon

Banned
Yep, just sends the data through the copper wire in your walls as opposed to the copper wire that composes an ethernet cable. Not wireless at all.

mkenyon

Banned
Imagine your computer was next to your router. You would plug an ethernet cable directly from your computer to your router.

With this, you get two powerline adapters. You go computer->powerline adapter (which goes to the other powerline adapter near your router through the power lines in the wall)->router.

The router is 2 floors down. The PC without wifi is two floors up. The powerline adapter would come into play how in this situation?

you would plug one jack directly into the wall outlet by your router, and plug a cat5 from the router into that. The other jack you would plug directly into the wall by your computer and plug another cat5 from your computer to that jack.

presto-changeo

internetz

JB1981

you would plug one jack directly into the wall outlet by your router, and plug a cat5 from the router into that. The other jack you would plug directly into the wall by your computer and plug another cat5 from your computer to that jack.

presto-changeo

internetz

oh so you're saying that you need two adapters then? one downstairs for the jack that connects to the router and one upstairs for the PC without wifi. expensive.

mkenyon

Banned
I just spent 5 mins in paint attempting a similar diagram. Yours is better. This piece of art is titled, 'Magic.jpeg'.

qTCcWTd.jpg

oh so you're saying that you need two adapters then? one downstairs for the jack that connects to the router and one upstairs for the PC without wifi. expensive.
$45 is a lot less than a router that will give you a reliable connection over the same distance.

JB1981

OK thanks for the diagrams guys. You guys really are helpful.

I think I was getting confused because I was thinking I could pull it all off with just one adapter. Seems you will need two - one for the router and one for the PC.

kharma45

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
A small RAM question. Pleas help me out guys.
I just built a new system and had old RAM modules lying around. My mobo has 4 slots. I have put 2 new DDR3 in 2 slots (a total of 8GB) in dual channel. I can also put 2 old modules (each 2GB and DDR3) for a total of 12GB RAM. But it turns out that adding them slows down my RAM. I am posting benchmarks with new ones (8GB), 2 new + one old (10GB) and 2 new + 2 old (12GB). By looking at the benchmarks, can someone tell me if the increase in RAM capacity worth it the loss in speed?

2 new ones (8GB)-

8gbdbku0.jpg

2 new ones + 1 old one (10GB)-

10gbecfqr.jpg

2 new ones + 2 old ones (12GB)-

12gboze1r.jpg

Please help.

JB1981

I just spent 5 mins in paint attempting a similar diagram. Yours is better. This piece of art is titled, 'Magic.jpeg'.

qTCcWTd.jpg

$45 is a lot less than a router that will give you a reliable connection over the same distance.

so this basically eliminates the need for a wireless access point IF you don't own devices that need one?

Threi

notag
Speaking of dvi, i had no clue that videocards can output audio through dvi-i. I just randomly decided to try hooking it up to my tv via a dvi > hdmi connector and couldn't believe that audio still worked.

mkenyon

Banned
Other than backwards compatibility, is there a reason why new mid to high end monitors and video cards still have DVI ports?
Because dual link DVI can output higher resolutions/refresh rates than HDMI can.

No 1440P over HDMI, no 1080P 120/144Hz over HDMI.

I think there's some licensing fees for HDMI too.

HoosTrax

Because dual link DVI can output higher resolutions/refresh rates than HDMI can.

No 1440P over HDMI, no 1080P 120/144Hz over HDMI.

I think there's some licensing fees for HDMI too.
Ah, that makes sense. Wasn't sure if it was something that could conceivably be removed to free up space on the PCI bracket, or if there was a legitimate reason for continuing to include it. I rather like the cabling advantages of HDMI and I haven't moved up to higher than 1080p / 60Hz.

mkenyon

Banned
mkenyon this how you really do sleeved cabling =P
Yeah, but I'm sitting around with a non-delidded Ivy and a modular PSU. You're clearly much more badass than I am.
Absolutely.

I can get the ASUS 24inch 144hz monitor on Amazon for $250($290 -$40 in rewards points), free shipping, no tax.

So hard to not pull the trigger right now!

About 120/144Hz monitors:

Is Vsync not needed when using them to get rid of tearing?

even If I wanted to lock the FPS @ 60 for demanding games?

I'm not versed in the technical side of tearing, but based on my experience, tearing occurs mostly when the framerate of the game exceeds the refresh rate of your display, although tearing also occurs when the frame rate is below your display's refresh rate, it is, for reasons unknown to me at this time, less common. So basically, tearing on a 120 Hz screen should occur much less than on a 60 Hz screen because your game's frame rate tends to stay below 120 fps.

tbhysgb

I love my gaming rig but I also see a benefit to capable laptops.

I bought a samsung laptop a couple months ago with the A-8 4500M and the 7640G for 350 from newegg. Now it's not a competant gaming machine but it works extremely well for plenty of older games. I would never ever buy a "gaming" laptop but I love what AMD has been doing with their APUs, they are extremely beneficial for laptops.

I don't know where I'm rambling too on this, other than for the money the specs have been worth what I paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom