• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_6

I think I have asked this before but I'm asking again just to be sure. I currently have Steam on my current Dell desktop and only two games on it, Hotline Miami and Portal 2. I got my key yesterday for Bioshock Infinite (and Crysis 3 but its on Origin); if I download it now can I move it and the other two games to my new PC once I get it built? I'm guessing I will just have to re-download them from my Steam account?

mkenyon

Banned
You can just copy/pasta the Steamappps folder and it'll bring all of the games over. Over the network, USB drive, whatever.

I think I have asked this before but I'm asking again just to be sure. I currently have Steam on my current Dell desktop and only two games on it, Hotline Miami and Portal 2. I got my key yesterday for Bioshock Infinite (and Crysis 3 but its on Origin); if I download it now can I move it and the other two games to my new PC once I get it built? I'm guessing I will just have to re-download them from my Steam account?

No, back up your steam apps folder. When you reinstall steam on your new system,move the steam apps folder back to steam directory and then just launch/login to steam. All your steam your steam games will be there - just click on them and they will reinstall, but you won't have to re download them.

j-wood

I'm about to pull the trigger on that Asus GTX 660 but one last question.

The 660 is a 192 bit card, my 460 is a 256-bit card. Is that going to make a difference?

Just picked up a Qnix 2560x1440 Glossy Monitor

VeiVzmp.jpg

bYKwrYt.jpg

U6HtCBU.jpg

irCagwD.jpg

$350 including shipping and duty, uses a Samsung IPS Panel. Bought off eBay from Bigclothcraft. Thumbs up here.

Ty4on

I'm about to pull the trigger on that Asus GTX 660 but one last question.

The 660 is a 192 bit card, my 460 is a 256-bit card. Is that going to make a difference?

Memory bandwidth is actually higher with the 460 having 115GB/s and the 660 144GB/s. What the memory is clocked at also makes a difference.

What you need to worry about is gaming performance and there the 660 is better. The 580 has pretty much the same memory bandwidth as the 680 and even performs better in many compute tasks, but who cares when the gaming performance with a 60 is much better.

Hi GAF,

I've been sitting on my current rig for ~4.5 years (don't cringe!), and I'm finally looking to upgrade. My current specs are detailed below. I've been really happy with what I've gotten out of it, but now I am looking for a new PC for the next few years (at least 3). I'm planning to taking from my old rig the SSD, HDDs, and monitor for my new setup (the rest will be used for my wife to play older games with).

CPU: Intel E8500
MOBO: Gigabyte EP43-DS3L
RAM: Corsair 2x1 GB
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512MB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 500W
SSD: Intel 320 Series 80GB SATA II
HDD: 1 x 500Gb Seagate, 2 x 1Tb WD
Monitor: Dell S2409W (1080p)
Case: Nonbranded

So this is what I'm currently looking at purchasing. It's more or less the same as what is suggested in the OP, but I'm mainly interested in 3 questions.

1. The PSU - ok or too small? It's done me quite well with my old rig, so would be happy to buy a second. The other option I was weighing up was the Antec HCG-520, but I'd prefer modular if I can.

2. I'm in New Zealand, therefore the prices are a bit higher than usual. My budget is $1000 US, which can get me the following. If anyone has any suggestions or critiques, I'd be much appreciative.

3. How future proof is this? If I got 4.5 years out of the above build, would I be able to get something similar with this? The reason I ask is because I'm not sure if now is a good time to build, or if it would actually be worth waiting for new releases (though my budget isn't going to change).

CPU: INTEL CORE I5 3570K
MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V LK
RAM: G.SKILL 2x4GB DDR3
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7850 2GB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 500W
Case: BitFenix Shinobi

Cheers,

kennah

May as well wait for Haswell, you've gone this long. And keep your eyes open for a 7950 that is on a massive sale. Would last a bit longer than the 7850 I wager.

Sheeshor

Banned
Hi, I was planing to build a new rig too. On of the few things i wanted to reuse from my current PC is my GTX 560 TI. I was planning on buying an I5 3570K and maybe an Asus Sabretooth z77 or something like the Asus P8Z77-V Pro and wanted to ask which one to get.
But now I've heard of the new Haswell CPU's and started to think. Should i wait? When will they hit? And will I get more for my money or are they going to be very expensive in the beginning?

I'm thinking in that Price range of the Parts above both the cpu and these Boards are about 200 € each here in germany right now, that's about my budget. So, what do yo say? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I was planing to build a new rig too. On of the few things i wanted to reuse from my current PC is my GTX 560 TI. I was planning on buying an I5 3570K and maybe an Asus Sabretooth z77 or something like the Asus P8Z77-V Pro and wanted to ask which one to get.
But now I've heard of the new Haswell CPU's and started to think. Should i wait? When will they hit? And will I get more for my money or are they going to be very expensive in the beginning?

I'm thinking in that Price range of the Parts above both the cpu and these Boards are about 200 € each here in germany right now, that's about my budget. So, what do yo say? Thanks in advance.

You might as well wait. June 2nd.

brentech

Out of sleeving and still have quite a lot left to do. I hope Germany's mail is quick on monday. I know mkenyon better shots with a better camera, I'll get there eventually.

Just setting your camera on a table or flat surface to use as a tripod would do ya wonders =D

scogoth

Just setting your camera on a table or flat surface to use as a tripod would do ya wonders =D

It was my iPhone. I will get the DSLR out when its done, I was just lazy and grabbed the easiest thing to take a picture with

That's a whole lot of carbon fiber

What you're not doing orange dinoc? Its obviously the best way to add cost to your build for almost no benefit. Actually is your new case orange?

kennah

I wish my case were Orange...

That would mean I'd've gone for a Prodigy instead of the Compact Splash and saved myself $600....

brentech

It was my iPhone. I will get the DSLR out when its done, I was just lazy and grabbed the easiest thing to take a picture with
I actually figured as much, just giving shit.

It looks well done regardless. I wish my case had that much space to work with on the right side. I literally have to cram the right cover back on.

asdad123

Okay... so I really want to water cool my system but I have no idea where to start lol.

I have a i5 3570k and a Sapphire Dual X 7950 in a Define R4. Anyone in the NJ area that has done water cooling before that would be willing to help out a beginner?

scogoth

Okay... so I really want to water cool my system but I have no idea where to start lol.

I have a i5 3570k and a Sapphire Dual X 7950 in a Define R4. Anyone in the NJ area that has done water cooling before that would be willing to help out a beginner?

Like full on custom loop water-cooling? Or closed loop pre done water cooling

Finally installed my H80i. Got scared at first cause my temps were at like 100c idle. Then I realized I forgot to plug the pump in :p. Stress test puts me at 58c max @ 4.5 ghz/1.28 volts Loving it.

That noctua fan looks so out of place though. And I might replace the corsair fans for maybe the Corsair silent profile fans cause those things get damn loud.

mkenyon

Banned
Out of sleeving and still have quite a lot left to do. I hope Germany's mail is quick on monday. I know mkenyon better shots with a better camera, I'll get there eventually.
*fap fap fap*

My only piece of advice is that if you want it to look gorgeous the theme needs to be carried over to every part and surface. Thats what separates gorgeous builds from the truly stand out ones. So what I am saying is that you need to paint those GTs. That'd make it MDPC worthy, and better even than a lot of the MDPC builds.

scogoth

*fap fap fap*

My only piece of advice is that if you want it to look gorgeous the theme needs to be carried over to every part and surface. Thats what separates gorgeous builds from the truly stand out ones. So what I am saying is that you need to paint those GTs. That'd make it MDPC worthy, and better even than a lot of the MDPC builds.

Grey goes with black..... right?

mkenyon

Banned
But if the fans blend in with the tubing, mobo, and blocks, it will help make your limited use of color (which I think is the right way to go) pop even more. Since they are the only grey thing in the case, the eye is drawn to them which reduces the impact of everything else.

mkenyon

Banned
ugh I just looked at some fan paint jobs, soooo ugly. Got to be something better than krylon plastic paint.

Well actually there are many.....yeah just aesthetics
MTN Paint. The stuff is insane. Get the 94 type, it is matte. It is filled with pigment to where you barely have to put any on for full coverage. If you do it right (limited particles, light coats, dry weather, and a lightly sanded surface) then it will look stock.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, PM me and I can get you started. It is really a lot easier than it looks.

The tough part is just making sense of what is what.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh yeah, I forgot that they recommend that you update the bios first before using titan. Something about the firmware in it and how it interacts with the mobo. So if you haven't tried again since updating the bios, do that. If that doesn't work then try the method I mentioned.

Whooooo finally got this to work. Feelssogoodman. Guess it really was a driver issue. Went back to the 295, updated to latest, then put in the titan, and updated to latest again (actually had to do it twice hahah).

Now own to restoring my old CPU OC after the bios flash

ss_lemonade

What's better between the 2 monitors?

BenQ XL2420T

ASUS VG248QE

I see both mentioned in the OP but the asus one is newer I believe, cheaper and is 144hz (is that even noticeable over 120hz?). What does the benq one then have over it that makes it more expensive?

Smokey

Whooooo finally got this to work. Feelssogoodman. Guess it really was a driver issue. Went back to the 295, updated to latest, then put in the titan, and updated to latest again (actually had to do it twice hahah).

Now own to restoring my old CPU OC after the bios flash

good stuff..i was right there with you having issues until I went to the later driver releases

those default titan drivers are terrible

Dave_6

Finally installed my H80i. Got scared at first cause my temps were at like 100c idle. Then I realized I forgot to plug the pump in :p. Stress test puts me at 58c max @ 4.5 ghz/1.28 volts Loving it.

That noctua fan looks so out of place though. And I might replace the corsair fans for maybe the Corsair silent profile fans cause those things get damn loud.

Looks great! I think you have sold me on going with an H60 to go with the MPower mobo I am also getting.

Dave_6

You can just copy/pasta the Steamappps folder and it'll bring all of the games over. Over the network, USB drive, whatever.

No, back up your steam apps folder. When you reinstall steam on your new system,move the steam apps folder back to steam directory and then just launch/login to steam. All your steam your steam games will be there - just click on them and they will reinstall, but you won't have to re download them.

Thanks guys. I'm still a super noob so I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the Steam apps folder as I can't find it anywhere. I'll figure out once I get my new PC finished.

In the meantime I got Infinite installed on this one and fired it up; major fail lol. Running in 720p on very low settings it is nigh unplayable and can't be going any higher than 15-20 fps. No big deal as I just wanted to check out the opening.

If I was running an Nvidia card and I didn't have a 120 Hz monitor, I'd be forcing Adaptive Vsync + Triple Buffering in every game. Gives you the best of both worlds, you're either at a locked 60 FPS with no tearing, or you're having dips below 60 but not the massive dips all the way down to 15-30 FPS you get with normal Vsync, and the tearing is pretty minor. Triple buffering takes care of the mouse lag in my experience.

Incidentally, since I run a 660 Ti on a 60 Hz monitor, that's exactly what I do and it works great for me, give it a shot.

You don't feel like you get mouse lag with adaptive V-Sync because it only kicks in when your frame rate goes past 60 fps. When it does you'll get input lag just like with regular VSync, triple bufferred or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom