• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorral

Finally installed my H80i. Got scared at first cause my temps were at like 100c idle. Then I realized I forgot to plug the pump in :p. Stress test puts me at 58c max @ 4.5 ghz/1.28 volts Loving it.

That noctua fan looks so out of place though. And I might replace the corsair fans for maybe the Corsair silent profile fans cause those things get damn loud.

Which case do you have? I like. Lots of space and very organized. Already thinking of upgrading the case later. >_> I haven't even put the PC together yet.

This thread is a sickness

Looks great! I think you have sold me on going with an H60 to go with the MPower mobo I am also getting.

Thanks! The H60 looks nice too, I was going to pick it up because it wouldve looked a lot cleaner in my case but I went with the H80i because I wanted to control my fans from within the desktop.

Which case do you have? I like. Lots of space and very organized. Already thinking of upgrading the case later. >_> I haven't even put the PC together yet.

I have the Fractal Define r4. It's an awesome case and its actually very highly regarded in this thread which made me want to pick it up. It has good airflow + it's designed to be a silent PC with all the sound dampening material in it.

Sorral

I have the Fractal Define r4. It's an awesome case and its actually very highly regarded in this thread which made me want to pick it up. It has good airflow + it's designed to be a silent PC with all the sound dampening material in it.

Oh! The R4. Definitely keeping it in mind and the price isn't too bad for a later upgrade. Thanks.

Been trying out RadeonPro, and man I really get a lot of crashes with it. I can't even just enable Triple Buffering and vsync with no other settings enabled without it causing games to crash. Some games won't even run at all.

Rur0ni

What's better between the 2 monitors?

BenQ XL2420T

ASUS VG248QE

I see both mentioned in the OP but the asus one is newer I believe, cheaper and is 144hz (is that even noticeable over 120hz?). What does the benq one then have over it that makes it more expensive?
I own the VG248QE. Three of them actually. Can feel the difference from 120hz.

Colors need tweaking out the box. I just used the nVidia controls until it was pleasing, and turned down the brightness a bit. Quite happy.

MedIC86

Thanks, is there anything known about pricing? Would I be able to find something good in that price range?

If i recall correctly some intel rep on the Tom's hardware forum said that the prices will be around the same mark as when the ivy bridge was introduced. But afaik no prices yet.

Sheeshor

Banned
K, thanks good to know. Then it really would be smarter to wait a while, huh? Now I just need to stand waiting for 2 more months ~_~
Allready ordered a tower and an SSD.

kharma45

No. Video card in it is terrible.

You do NOT want a laptop for gaming. Unless you absolutely need to have one.

Also, yeah, I can't imagine you'd be able to run anything with that GPU at 1080p

I'm not really looking for a pure gaming laptop or computer since I play everything on my PS3. But it would be nice to be able to play a few games that are only for PC or have PC only features. I don't really need it to run at the highest settings, I just want it to run smooth. Also yeah, a laptop would be best for me since I need it for school.

Ugh, I dont know. Besides I got a new desktop (just a basic one) a few months ago so to get another one just for a few games is not worth it for me.

Disclaimer: After working for Aria for a month I am now back working at Maplin again... :p I don't get anything off this. It's just a FYI for UK peeps.

Okay, to US people, Maplin is a large chain of hardware stores. ANYWAY:

I spotted this a couple of weeks ago, but I've only just remembered to post about it here. Maplin are doing some work on their online store's PC hardware range. Depending on the item you might be able to get a good buy there. For example, a 7850 2GB for £153, free delivery. It's not the same story across the entire range though. Overclockers have the Corsair 600W PSU at £63, whilst Maplin have it at £70, for example.

Nevertheless, they might be worth checking out for good buys on certain lines?

Using my discount, I grabbed myself a Corsair K60 and a M65... oh my days I love mechanical keyboards now. The mouse made my hand hurt after a couple of hours but my hand appears to have manned up now.

Ty4on

Can anyone estimate what that Titan LE is gonna cost? would it be like 7/800 ? or more like 5/600?

With the 680 being 450-500 I really don't see how the Titan LE will be less than 700 as long as the 680 sells. If you don't need good support for multiple GPUs and dare overclock them the 7970 is a really good performance bargin. Overclocked it beats an overclocked 680 in most games and has a memory bus as big as the Titan's.

Did any of you see Ryan Shrout on Linus's live stream? If you haven't, Linus posts the recording on his youtube channel. Very interesting. According to him, the frame rating issue for AMD's crossfire might not be solved from a hardware stand point for another 2 years with the way GPU's are manufactured. AMD will try to fix it as much as possible software wise, but there's always a chance for issues with the hardware not being fixed until the 9000 series or later. Of course this doesn't effect people with single gpu's, but if you are thinking about multiple gpus I'd go with SLI at this point until this gets solved.

kennah

I'm not really looking for a pure gaming laptop or computer since I play everything on my PS3. But it would be nice to be able to play a few games that are only for PC or have PC only features. I don't really need it to run at the highest settings, I just want it to run smooth. Also yeah, a laptop would be best for me since I need it for school.

Ugh, I dont know. Besides I got a new desktop (just a basic one) a few months ago so to get another one just for a few games is not worth it for me.
That video card is lower than the lowest one we recommend for running on low settings. What is your current desktop? You could probably upgrade it to do what you want to do

demented

I've been looking at 120mhz and some benchmarks and from what I've noticed I won't be getting anywhere near 120 fps with the newer games, who knows about the ones that will come. But then again new graphics cards aren't coming that soon so fuck if I know what to do now. I could wait for new CPU but it will probably cost a lot more than current ones, which I can oc to get better performance maybe..

I don't really know what to do. I want to upgrade so I can play new stuff, but if I will have to do the same in a year...
Yeah I know PC market is like that, always big new thing coming but all my PCs were able to last for quiet a few years, I'm not rich so I need them to :\

brentech

With the Fractal R4, do you guys stick with the standard 140mm fans?

Damn you all for even making me think about switching my case only a few weeks after building, but yeah, I'm taking it into consideration. Have until the 10th to order on Newegg at reduced price.

gilljoy

CrZTyg7.jpg

Finally the stuff arrived today. Going to run it in my current case for a while until I can decide which new case to get

Red

Am I right in thinking I am basically out of luck upgrading my cpu on a 1366 mobo? I'd have to swap the board and ram as well to get something recent?

scogoth

Am I right in thinking I am basically out of luck upgrading my cpu on a 1366 mobo? I'd have to swap the board and ram as well to get something recent?

RAM you can keep. you can also overclock your cpu to keep you going until haswell is released. 1366 is great for overclocking.

Red

RAM you can keep. you can also overclock your cpu to keep you going until haswell is released. 1366 is great for overclocking.
It's a 920 clocked @4GHz. Unstable pushed higher than that. My RAM is triple channel and I thought 1155 was dual. Any difference in practice?

scogoth

It's a 920 clocked @4GHz. Unstable pushed higher than that. My RAM is triple channel and I thought 1155 was dual. Any difference in practice?

The RAM itself is not triple or dual channel, it just means you should try buy it in packs of three or two. You can have 1,2,3 or 4 sticks on 1155 its just best performance at 2 or 4 but its really negligible difference.

Red

The RAM itself is not triple or dual channel, it just means you should try buy it in packs of three or two. You can have 1,2,3 or 4 sticks on 1155 its just best performance at 2 or 4 but its really negligible difference.
Ah, that makes way more sense.

What's better between the 2 monitors?

BenQ XL2420T

ASUS VG248QE

I see both mentioned in the OP but the asus one is newer I believe, cheaper and is 144hz (is that even noticeable over 120hz?). What does the benq one then have over it that makes it more expensive?

The benq has some extras like that quick profile switching thing. Overall I think I would buy the asus between those two choices, but the benq is an older model. They have a 144hz model out now as well in their lower series (XL2411T) that just doesn't seem to be released everywhere.

As for noticeable, you have to make sure your video card can even display 144hz. Also both the 144 monitors mentioned (VG248QE and XL2411T) are suppose to be the "best" at using that lightboost method, if that is something you are interested in.

DeVeAn

So what should I go for 670 GTX or 7970? I am partial to nvidia but, can go either way. I know I want the Gigabyte version of either card (windforce).

Also these cards are worth $399 right?

brentech

Fuck it, 3 weeks in and bought the Fractal R4.

Now I've upgraded PSU and Case with weeks of the build. And I'm even happy with the machine. Got damn.

I am making new gaming rig, re-using some of my existing components. Currently my rig is way too large so I am going with a smaller form factor that packs a punch. I am pretty much set on the components I am getting, but unsure about the power supply. Can someone give me advice for what power supply from Microcenter I should purchase that will fit my case and be adequate for my hardware. Also to note I plan on upgrading the GPU in the future:

Case: BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Computer Case - White
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE LGA 1155 Z77 mITX Intel Mother
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooler

I will be transplanting from my current PC:
- GeForce GTX570
- SSD
- ESATA HDD
- LG DVD burner

I think my current PSU in my PC is too large for this case:
OCZ ZT Series 750W

It has to be from Microcenter! I just want to make this a one trip. I read in this thread that the PSU needs to be a certain size to fit this case and read it online, but I am really on the fence about what I should do.

Hey guys so recently my pc has been randomly rebooting, losing power to the keyboard+mouse and losing picture at the same time.

Am I right to think this is a PSU issue? I'm pretty pc savvy but never seen this before :/

Pandemic

Was supposed to order my new PC almost two weeks ago, but my local PC store that build custom PC's, etc is taking ages to respond to emails.. :/

mkenyon

Banned
I am making new gaming rig, re-using some of my existing components. Currently my rig is way too large so I am going with a smaller form factor that packs a punch. I am pretty much set on the components I am getting, but unsure about the power supply. Can someone give me advice for what power supply from Microcenter I should purchase that will fit my case and be adequate for my hardware. Also to note I plan on upgrading the GPU in the future:

Case: BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Computer Case - White
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE LGA 1155 Z77 mITX Intel Mother
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooler

I will be transplanting from my current PC:
- GeForce GTX570
- SSD
- ESATA HDD
- LG DVD burner

I think my current PSU in my PC is too large for this case:
OCZ ZT Series 750W

It has to be from Microcenter! I just want to make this a one trip. I read in this thread that the PSU needs to be a certain size to fit this case and read it online, but I am really on the fence about what I should do.
You'll need to squeeze it in there, but it'll fit. 160mm is the max length of PSU, which is the standard size. Some modular 160mm PSUs do not fit though. You could go with a more reliable/smaller PSU as well.

Make sure you get the H60 that has the fan with grey blades.
Fuck it, 3 weeks in and bought the Fractal R4.

Now I've upgraded PSU and Case with weeks of the build. And I'm even happy with the machine. Got damn.
Save your wallet, stop coming to this thread.
Was supposed to order my new PC almost two weeks ago, but my local PC store that build custom PC's, etc is taking ages to respond to emails.. :/
Where are you located? Could probably get someone on GAF to help you build. Could do a Small Form Factor build for you and have it shipped if you are in the US.
Hey guys so recently my pc has been randomly rebooting, losing power to the keyboard+mouse and losing picture at the same time.

Am I right to think this is a PSU issue? I'm pretty pc savvy but never seen this before :/
Sounds like it.

Make sure you get the H60 that has the fan with grey blades.
What do you mean by this? How can I tell if it has grey blades?

I planned on getting this: http://www.microcenter.com/product/404942/Hydro_Series_H60_High_Performance_Liquid_CPU_Cooler

Also I think I settled on a power supply: http://www.microcenter.com/product/301550/ModXStream_Pro_700W_Modular_ATX_Power_Supply. I am going to purchase it and if I can get my older power supply to fit I will return this one. However I think the depth of my older power supply is too much.

mkenyon

Banned
What do you mean by this? How can I tell if it has grey blades?

I planned on getting this: http://www.microcenter.com/product/404942/Hydro_Series_H60_High_Performance_Liquid_CPU_Cooler

Also I think I settled on a power supply: http://www.microcenter.com/product/301550/ModXStream_Pro_700W_Modular_ATX_Power_Supply. I am going to purchase it and if I can get my older power supply to fit I will return this one. However I think the depth of my older power supply is too much.
This is the one you want:

5089_99_corsair_hydro_series_h60_2012_edition_liquid_cpu_cooler_review_full.jpg

Get this PSU instead: http://www.microcenter.com/product/315117/BP550_Plus_550W_ATX_Modular_Power

*edit*

If they don't have that H60 at microcenter, then pick up a Corsair SP Quiet Edition 120 fan to put on. The old H60 fan is meh, and gets crazy loud.
its a 3770k, I'm not planning on deliding it for a while, I've not even over clocked it yet but I'm planning to later on :)
The reason why Scogoth suggested that you delid it is because it will hit a heatwall no matter what cooling you have. The H100 on a stock 3770K is going to give you the same kind of thermals that a less expensive cooling configuration would. Once you hit that heatwall, even a full on proper water loop won't keep it from hitting 100C+. If you delid it, then you can reliably OC it to 4.8-5.0 with an H100.

brentech

Save your wallet, stop coming to this thread.

No kidding. Though my current case as no work space on the right side and I think I'll be able to return to micro center(it's a nice budget case, but lacks some of the nice refining features). The first PSU I started with I'll sell on ebay along with my old systems parts.
I just have to actually take the time to do it. Haven't used eBay in forever.

This is the one you want:

5089_99_corsair_hydro_series_h60_2012_edition_liquid_cpu_cooler_review_full.jpg

Get this PSU instead: http://www.microcenter.com/product/315117/BP550_Plus_550W_ATX_Modular_Power

*edit*

If they don't have that H60 at microcenter, then pick up a Corsair SP Quiet Edition 120 fan to put on. The old H60 fan is meh, and gets crazy loud.

The reason why Scogoth suggested that you delid it is because it will hit a heatwall no matter what cooling you have. The H100 on a stock 3770K is going to give you the same kind of thermals that a less expensive cooling configuration would. Once you hit that heatwall, even a full on proper water loop won't keep it from hitting 100C+. If you delid it, then you can reliably OC it to 4.8-5.0 with an H100.
Thank you for the suggestion. Also do you think 550W is enough for my video card (PNY GTX 570 Enthusiast Edition)? It says 550W is the minimum. Also I plan upgrading it in the future. 550W sounds a tad low.

Demon Ice

Banned

That video card will not run any games at even close to high settings, or smoothly at low settings. You will not be able to enable any PC specific features.

oneils

Anyone here care to share their experiences with using a gaming pc in the living room?

I'm thinking of getting a SFF gaming pc from NCIX and playing some games in the living room. Only thing I don't really have a lot of experience with is wireless peripherals.

My TV is pretty far from the couch - about 10 feet. I was thinking of just using motioninjoy with my dual shock 3 and a blue tooth dongle and/or a wireless 360 controller.

Only thing I can see being a pain is typing youtube searches and stuff like that.

Has anyone done this without a wireless keyboard/mouse? If so, does it work well?

Celcius

°Temp. member

Can you check the reading on the psu's rails in the bios? (12v, 5v, 3.3v)
Or you can use OCCT to monitor the rails while running a stress test and see how it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom