• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandemic

Is anyone able to recommend a good virus program for my new PC?

I've been using Avast! on this current PC which has been good, but is their better?

Katyusha

I'm having a tough time trying to decide on the type of graphics card I want. It's between a 7970, GTX 670, or a GTX 680. My price range is $400-$450ish. I'll be running games at 1920x1080 with a possible option to run on dual monitors.

Reading AnandTech, the 7970 and the 680 perform right around the same, but the 7970 does come with Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite, which I both want.

I'd go with the 7970, especially if you're considering dual monitors (7970 has more VRAM)

But if you're looking to go with a dual card setup in the future I would go with the 670/680

I'd go with the 7970, especially if you're considering dual monitors (7970 has more VRAM)

But if you're looking to go with a dual card setup in the future I would go with the 670/680

Thanks. I don't plan on going SLI any time in the future, but I'll definitely entertain the option.

Guess I'll go with the 7970 for now.

Hawk269

So PC Builders...what are your thoughts on using a Blu Ray drive for media vs. a standard DVD Drive?

I recently built a gaming rig for a friend and due to a defective part (his new DVD Drive came DOA), I ended up using a Blu Ray drive that I originally ordered to install onto my Rig. When I mentioned this to him, he was not too sold on having a Blu Ray drive, but I started to think about something.

A lot of our current PC games are not that big in size due to their initial birth on consoles, but in the near future with both the PS4 and new Xbox having Blu Ray drives, I know that game size is going to get a lot bigger. While I know that the majority of PC gamers download their games, there are a percentage that still like to buy retail PC games, especially "Collectors" or "Limited" editions of PC games. With the next gen console games, do you really see them selling the PC version with 8-10 DVD's?

I really think that retail PC games will begin to ship on Blu Ray disks instead of DVD because if the increase in size of the majority of games due to the new consoles. When I used this reasoning, he was "yeah, leave that f'n blu ray in there then". lol.

Just wanting thoughts/opinions on this.

Hawk269

Is anyone able to recommend a good virus program for my new PC?

I've been using Avast! on this current PC which has been good, but is their better?

What OS are you using?

I used both Windows Essentials (Windows 7) and Windows Defender (Windows 8) and they both are free and have never had any issues.

Pandemic

What OS are you using?

I used both Windows Essentials (Windows 7) and Windows Defender (Windows 8) and they both are free and have never had any issues.

I'm using windows 7. I didn't even know you could function a computer without a third party virus program..

So PC Builders...what are your thoughts on using a Blu Ray drive for media vs. a standard DVD Drive?

I recently built a gaming rig for a friend and due to a defective part (his new DVD Drive came DOA), I ended up using a Blu Ray drive that I originally ordered to install onto my Rig. When I mentioned this to him, he was not too sold on having a Blu Ray drive, but I started to think about something.

A lot of our current PC games are not that big in size due to their initial birth on consoles, but in the near future with both the PS4 and new Xbox having Blu Ray drives, I know that game size is going to get a lot bigger. While I know that the majority of PC gamers download their games, there are a percentage that still like to buy retail PC games, especially "Collectors" or "Limited" editions of PC games. With the next gen console games, do you really see them selling the PC version with 8-10 DVD's?

I really think that retail PC games will begin to ship on Blu Ray disks instead of DVD because if the increase in size of the majority of games due to the new consoles. When I used this reasoning, he was "yeah, leave that f'n blu ray in there then". lol.

It took a while before DVDs were the norm over CDs, so I don't see there being a major change any time soon. Plus, I see more of a focus on DD anyhow, over physical media. Especially in the gaming realm.

knitoe

:O

Amazing.. And I've been using Avast all this time. Is it any good?

From the reviews, Avast seems to be better. The problem with MSE is it's signature base. They do poorly on day one / unknown viruses and malwares.

Personally, I run Norton Internet Security, get it from free to $10 on deals yearly, and Malwarebyte, $10-15 lifetime sub on deals.

Touch

:lol just found it taped to the inside bottom of the shipping box under like 30 feet of packing shit :/ Why would they put it there? Thanks guys :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ugh now it won't launch Bioshock (in Steam). Says "Installing DirectX for Windows: Step 1 of 1" then fades out like it's going to start but then goes right back to where it was on Steam.

Before this, I had left the room for ~30 minutes with Bioshock installing/downloading. Went back in there and the PC was off. Turned it back on, no display, nothing. Turned it back off then back on and then it finally booted up. Think I need to let my PC guru-friend at work look at this thing. I might can put one together but I can't get it to run right or do anything properly.
:(

I'd personally redo the build (Sucks I know). There could easily be something stuck behind a plate and shorting, or some half plugged in connector, maybe a bad power connection.

While I know that the majority of PC gamers download their games, there are a percentage that still like to buy retail PC games, especially "Collectors" or "Limited" editions of PC games. With the next gen console games, do you really see them selling the PC version with 8-10 DVD's?

If you watch BR on PC, get one. If you don't then:
1) Don't get a drive
2) Buy an External one

There's more of an argument to not having one than getting a BR Drive imo. Don't most
Special Editions' give you a download code, or you have to register it to an account now anyway?
:O

Amazing.. And I've been using Avast all this time. Is it any good?
MSE is pretty good, but seems to have been lacking on Day 0 protection.
At least according to random internet rankings/testing websites.

I use it though along with NoScript

Pandemic

I took some photos, shitty ones in fact. And knowing me, I got a little concerned about the fans. Is their enough fans?

I have a big one at the back, then at the top theres the H100i CPU cooler, which has taken up two fan slots. I sort of regret it, since I could have used one for another fan.. Do the fans for the CPU cooler provide ventilation? I'll show photos in a sec.

Pandemic

Alright, lemme minimize them. Don't seem to be doing that. :/

Alright, here's the album of my PC,
http://imgur.com/a/BJsvV

I have a question, with this image, that's the main back fan,
oXVkJxSh.jpg

And then there's the H100i CPU cooler, and has two fans. Do those fans provide ventilation and help with keeping the inside cool..?
3X3EIp2h.jpg

Feels like I'm regretting the H100i since it took up two fan spots, and if they do nothing then I only have 1 fan to rely on to keep the inside ventilated..?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You don't have a front intake at the very least?
One front, one side is what I would add. Your mobo should have 5 fan ports.

Your PC is fine as is.

Pandemic

You don't have a front intake at the very least?
One front, one side is what I would add. Your mobo should have 5 fan ports.

Your PC is fine as is.

Umm, well the only fans I can see are the top two and the back one, so three.

Just feels like it isn't enough... :s

Edit: Checked and their are four fans, two at the top, one at the back, one at hte front.

Mad Max

You could remove the four upper hdd trays, and move the drives down to the bottom three, this should give you better airflow from the front fan atleast. Also what are the GPU/CPU temps you're getting?

Pandemic

You could remove the four upper hdd trays, and move the drives down to the bottom three, this should give you better airflow from the front fan atleast. Alsowhat are the GPU/CPU temps you're getting?

Uh, not sure. I haven't even turned it on, will soon though and I'll let you know what temps I'm getting.

Varna

You could remove the four upper hdd trays, and move the drives down to the bottom three, this should give you better airflow from the front fan atleast. Alsowhat are the GPU/CPU temps you're getting?

That kind of thing a must I would say.

Someone in here suggested this a while ago and it's been working wonderfully for all my setups.

Varna

I would personally. Those HDD cages seem mighty obstructive.

I would do two 120mms and if you want through in a third 120mm between your card and the HD cage to funnel air onto the GPU.

Pandemic

I tried taking out the white things, but the black thing is still in there, and not sure how to get it out. And it looks like it's attached to the top too..

But it does basically block the fan from getting air in... :/

Mad Max

I tried taking out the white things, but the black thing is still in there, and not sure how to get it out. And it looks like it's attached to the top too..

But it does basically block the fan from getting air in... :/

Maybe you should try turning your PC on first if you haven't done so, to see if everything else works. A bit of suboptimal airflow isn't going to damage it.

Also you have to remove the upper drivecage before you can remove the bottom one with the R4 I believe, so you might want to move your front fan to the top position and just take out the top drivecage. I think there are a few (four or so) thumbscrews that hold the top drivecage, you don't really need to remove the white brackets themselves. If you can't find out how to do this you could check out some video's or reviews of the case, or look up a manual for it, they might mention it there.

Pandemic

Maybe you should try turning your PC on first if you haven't done so, too see if everything else works. A bit of suboptimal airflow isn't going to damage it.

Also you have to remove the upper drivecage before you can remove the bottom one with the R4 I believe, so you might want to move your front fan to the top position and just take out the top drivecage. I think there are a few (four or so) thumbscrews that hold the top drivecage, you don't really need to remove the white brackets themselves. If you can't find out how to do this you could check out some video's or reviews of the case, or look up a manual for it, they might mention it there.

Interesting, I get really hesitant when doing this type of stuff since I'm useless with technology. It does look like the top cage has to be removed first before removing the bottom one though which is a pain..

I'll try look for some videos.

Mad Max

Do you reckon it'd be easier to just remove the top cage, then the bottom cage, then reattach the top cage, which means I don't have to move the SSD, HDD, etc nor do I have to move the fan?

I don't think it matters that much really, but removing the top one should give you better airflow if you also move the fan. If you keep the drives attached to the brackets moving them is simply a matter of unplugging the cables, sticking the brackets in the bottom cage, and then plugging the cables back in. Moving the fan should also be easy enough in the R4 I think.

Pandemic

Ive been able to remove the fan and move it to the top, woo!

But I can't ge tthe cables out of the hard drive and ssd, and im getting nervous that Im gonna break something.

Pandemic

I can't seem to get these cables out (looks like these),
images

of the hard drive or SSD, and I'm slowly panicking that I've broken something lol.

Mad Max

Ive been able to remove the fan and move it to the top, woo!

But I can't ge tthe cables out of the hard drive and ssd, and im getting nervous that Im gonna break something.

Have you removed the rear side panel of the case? That should give you acces to the cables. Some sata cables have a lid that you need to push in to remove them, so pay attention to that.

Also you still may have to use some force to remove the cables, however you should always make sure that the force you're exerting is parallel to the connector on the drive.

Pandemic

Yeah, I can't seem to remove the two cables. All I need to do is remove them, then I can take it out and I'm done, but they don't seem to budge.

iqubal

Banned
Right now I'm rocking a MSI GTX 660 (non TI version)......I can sell it and pay about $170 more to get a Gtx 670 OC version. Is the jump worth it? I play at 1080p at 1920X1080.

Thanks for any information!

Mad Max

Yeah, I can't seem to remove the two cables. All I need to do is remove them, then I can take it out and I'm done, but they don't seem to budge.

Do you have some other, older, parts lying around to 'practice' on (dvd drive, older hdd etc)? If so you could try plugging in and unplugging one of the additional sata cables that came with the mobo on one of those parts. Otherwise you could look up some videos again. Also for some cables you may have to push in the sides instead of a lid on the top.

Pandemic

Do you have some other, older, parts lying around to 'practice' on (dvd drive, older hdd etc)? If so you could try plugging in and unplugging one of the additional sata cables that came with the mobo on one of those parts. Otherwise you could look up some videos again. Also for some cables you may have to push in the sides instead of a lid on the top.

Nah, I don't.

Im having the urge to just put it all back together. Feels like I've already put to much pressure on the cables lol.

Mad Max

Nah, I don't.

Im having the urge to just put it all back together. Feels like I've already put to much pressure on the cables lol.

Can you take a pic of the connector maybe?

But if you really can't get them out that might be a good idea. Try out the PC first and maybe have a look at the temps, you could always do this later if you want.

Pandemic

Done and done, on the new PC and it works like a charm, woowoo.

I'm trying to figure out which virus protector to use.

Not sure where to start with this PC, any ideas? :p

Pandemic

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

Does anyone know why the light on my mouse and keyboard remain on even when the PC has shut down? Or is that normal..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom