• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

comu

Neo Member
DRAM frequency in BIOS is 1600 MHz, while in CPU-Z it's 800 MHz.

How do I change this?

EDIT:

NVM, apparently CPU-Z reports half the speed, while BIOS reports it all.

I should probably google before i post again :)

MedIC86

The only virus protector you need is Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7. If you're on Windows 8, you are golden.

Not really, a few weeks ago there was this article on AV-Test that it wasnt safe enough.
I always recommend using Kaspersky, but there are other brands that will probarly perform well enough (just make sure its compatible with W8). I find it weird that people spend 1000's of dollars on hardware and dont want to pay 25$ for a decent AV tool.

Echoplx

MSE/Defender + Common sense is enough, I was skeptical at first so every few months I would run malwarebytes/sbybot but they always came up clean. Only time I've ever even seen a virus recently is when I knew I was downloading something shady but had no alternative :lol

MedIC86

New rumours about the Titan LE OR GTX780

kbe1jVg.jpg

lnGfmaC.jpg

T0t73gA.jpg

plainr_

The only virus protection you need is common sense, in my opinion :) But if you absolutely do need something, MSE is a good bet.

Fully agree. I went years without a virus protector during the Windows XP era and I was never hit a with a virus. Worst case, maybe a browser toolbar which I accidentally forgot to uncheck during an installation of a program. :p These days, I run MSE because they are very lightweight, yet effective.

Pandemic

Hey, I just have a few questions if anyone is able to answer them, that'd be appreciated.

1. How do I know/check how many spots I have left on my MOBO for fans? Here's my MOBO,
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21537

If you scroll down there's a large image of the MOBO. I have one fan at the front, one at the back, and a two fan CPU cooler at the top. Do I have any more room for more fans on the MOBO or no? Greatly appreciate any help.

And secondly, anyone know why my LED light on the front of my fractal design define r4 case keeps twitching/flashing, and doesn't stay on?

brentech

For a really long set of years I used AVG free virus scanner along with zone alarm firewall, then zone alarm starting packing virus scanner in with their firewall so I was only using their products.

With my new system I'm just using windows firewall and Microsoft Security essentials for virus scanner. Easy, small updates. No complaints.

But I'm not one to download random shit. I haven't downloaded a single torrent or anything. I only use retail software or more realistically, open source software.
I use GIMP for photo editing past the RAW stage, which I simply use canon's utility to convert from. I do own a copy of light room, but don't use it.

I might eventually pay for a bluray movie playback suite, but not a big concern. Everything else for my needs I just go to Open Source Alternatives.
There is quality open source software for almost any need now.

Dave_6

:(

I'd personally redo the build (Sucks I know). There could easily be something stuck behind a plate and shorting, or some half plugged in connector, maybe a bad power connection.

Oh well. I think I'm going to just let it sit for a couple days. I got way too frustrated with it last night; it's the fact that I spent ~$1400 and in my mind it's already fucking up.

The first game I downloaded and installed was Hotline Miami and it launched and worked fine. Then Bioshock won't do anything...

GHG

Right now I'm rocking a MSI GTX 660 (non TI version)......I can sell it and pay about $170 more to get a Gtx 670 OC version. Is the jump worth it? I play at 1080p at 1920X1080.

Thanks for any information!

Is your motherboard SLI capable? I'd recommend spending that extra money towards another 660. Its the setup I have and it blasts through everything smooth as butter, downsampling and all.

If not then I would say just get a custom bios and overclock your 660. If you've got a good chip you can get performance that sits between the 660ti and 670. I wouldn't recommend spending $170 on what will be an incremental jump.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...HD-7870-plus-HD-7790-HD-7850-GTX-650-Ti-BOOST

comu

Neo Member
Hey, I just have a few questions if anyone is able to answer them, that'd be appreciated.

1. How do I know/check how many spots I have left on my MOBO for fans? Here's my MOBO,
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21537

If you scroll down there's a large image of the MOBO. I have one fan at the front, one at the back, and a two fan CPU cooler at the top. Do I have any more room for more fans on the MOBO or no? Greatly appreciate any help.

And secondly, anyone know why my LED light on the front of my fractal design define r4 case keeps twitching/flashing, and doesn't stay on?

Hard drive activity (or ssd)

brentech

Hard drive activity (or ssd)
Yea. Since the R4 only has one LED on the case, the builder has the choice of linking said LED to the motherboards power LED header or HDD activity header. They probably thought that more useful. It's just a personal choice, no harm.

I ended up just linking mine to the power so it's always on when machine is on. /shrug

Pandemic

Yea. Since the R4 only has one LED on the case, the builder has the choice of linking said LED to the motherboards power LED header or HDD activity header. They probably thought that more useful. It's just a personal choice, no harm.

I ended up just linking mine to the power so it's always on when machine is on. /shrug

Do you have to go through the case to change that? Or can you do it through settings or something?

Pandemic

Yeah you have to do that with the plugs on the bottom of the board. Yours sounds like it is done the same way I did mine (I have an R4 too).

Damnit, what a pain haha. Guess I'll leave it as it is and change it later.

Does anyone know a good monitor brand, that's sort of cheap? Is BenQ any good? o.o

brentech

I thought I'd share my build pricing experience since I heavily used the information from this thread due to not having built a system in over 3 years (and not staying current with trends over that span).

Anyways, just thought the general idea of what type of price someone was looking at for a full system build to get up and running (OS included) on recent US market prices would be helpful. (only thing not shown is speakers, as I've had my surround set since about 2002). Prices fluctuate, but if you have any amount of patience you can get better prices on certain parts.

71r7qjA.png

My build is closest to the Excellent build sheet. GPU is a little lower than those used in that build, but that was a deliberate choice and the 660/OC works fine. I want to wait to see what comes out next.

While my degree is in Computer Science Engineering, I don't work in the field any longer and got out of touch with some things over the years, but this thread and my build have re-ignited the enthusiast portion in me. It's fun to play with and tinker again.

I'm likely to replace all case fans to get rid of sleeve bearing fans, and also might switch to closed loop CPU cooling just for fun/design aesthetics. It's hard to say the 212 Evo doesn't do a good job (it's quite good really).

Props to OP and collaborators on all the info.

Any speculation/rumors about when the next wave of GPUs will be launching? My 560 Ti has been fine, but 1 GB of RAM even on 1080P has me nervous with some newer games coming out. As a rule of thumb, I never upgrade a PC component that is within 1 generation of each other (so, I'm basically skipping the 600 series/AMD equivalent and waiting for 700 series), so this info is somewhat pertinent to me!

MedIC86

Any speculation/rumors about when the next wave of GPUs will be launching? My 560 Ti has been fine, but 1 GB of RAM even on 1080P has me nervous with some newer games coming out. As a rule of thumb, I never upgrade a PC component that is within 1 generation of each other (so, I'm basically skipping the 600 series/AMD equivalent and waiting for 700 series), so this info is somewhat pertinent to me!

Nobody knows for sure, but it looks no new cards till 2014 (besides the titan le)

F#A#Oo

Banned
I thought I'd share my build pricing experience since I heavily used the information from this thread due to not having built a system in over 3 years (and not staying current with trends over that span).

Anyways, just thought the general idea of what type of price someone was looking at for a full system build to get up and running (OS included) on recent US market prices would be helpful. (only thing not shown is speakers, as I've had my surround set since about 2002). Prices fluctuate, but if you have any amount of patience you can get better prices on certain parts.

71r7qjA.png

My build is closest to the Excellent build sheet. GPU is a little lower than those used in that build, but that was a deliberate choice and the 660/OC works fine. I want to wait to see what comes out next.

While my degree is in Computer Science Engineering, I don't work in the field any longer and got out of touch with some things over the years, but this thread and my build have re-ignited the enthusiast portion in me. It's fun to play with and tinker again.

I'm likely to replace all case fans to get rid of sleeve bearing fans, and also might switch to closed loop CPU cooling just for fun/design aesthetics. It's hard to say the 212 Evo doesn't do a good job (it's quite good really).

Props to OP and collaborators on all the info.

I will never trust ASRock...

Gigabyte and ASUS always for me. Build quality is not something to compromise on.

RedSwirl

So right now I'm targeting an i5 3570k for my next purchase. Is there any reason why I should not instead go for an AMD chip like the FX-8350? It apparently more power for roughly the same price. I know Intel chips have been dominant for a while, but why?

scogoth

So right now I'm targeting an i5 3570k for my next purchase. Is there any reason why I should not instead go for an AMD chip like the FX-8350? It apparently more power for roughly the same price. I know Intel chips have been dominant for a while, but why?

Because their single threaded performance and per clock performance are vastly better than AMD. For heavy multi threaded apps (basically only media creation) AMD can offer better price/performance but for gaming and regular computer use Intel is way better.

Smokey

Future proofing your PC for next-gen - Digital Foundry

We approached a number of developers on and off the record - each of whom has helped to ship multi-million-selling, triple-A titles - asking them whether an Intel or AMD processor offers the best way to future-proof a games PC built in the here and now. Bearing in mind the historical dominance Intel has enjoyed, the results are intriguing - all of them opted for the FX-8350 over the current default enthusiast's choice, the Core i5 3570K.

Perhaps it's not entirely surprising - Crytek's Crysis 3 is a forward-looking game in many ways, and as these CPU tests by respected German site PC Games Hardware demonstrate, not only does the FX-8350 outperform the i5, it also offers up an additional, minor margin of extra performance over the much more expensive Core i7 3770K - a processor that's around £100 more expensive than the AMD chip. Only the six-core Intel Core i7 3930K - a £480 processor - beats it comprehensively.

Avalanche Studios said:
The FX-8350 offers not only the same core count as PS4 but also a similarly impressive boost to clock speed. So in theory, chips from both vendors should easily outperform the next-gen consoles, but AMD has the potential to offer more performance at the same price-point - as Avalanche Studios' Chief Technical Office, Linus Blomberg, tells us.

"I'd go for the FX-8350, for two reasons. Firstly, it's the same hardware vendor as PS4 and there are always some compatibility issues that devs will have to work around (particularly in SIMD coding), potentially leading to an inferior implementation on other systems - not very likely a big problem in practice though," he says.

"Secondly, not every game engine is job-queue based, even though the Avalanche Engine is, some games are designed around an assumption of available hardware threads. The FX-8350 will clearly be much more powerful [than PS4] in raw processing power considering the superior clock speed, but in terms of architecture it can be a benefit to have the same number of cores so that an identical frame layout can be guaranteed
."

Interrrresting

Pretty good read

Its as mkenyon said in a earlier discussion, AMD bet on multithreading last round and it didn't pan out as much as they had hoped (only a few PC games really take advantage of them iirc).

Now I wonder if it work out this time especially since the next-gen consoles have all AMD stuff and hence their philosophy.

Threi

notag
I will never trust ASRock...

Gigabyte and ASUS always for me. Build quality is not something to compromise on.
Interestingly enough every ASUS board i've ever owned (actually almost every Asus device ive ever owned) has had to have been RMA'd for one reason or another. Every ASRock mobo i've owned however has worked fine. Different experiences for different people i guess but i actively avoid any ASUS computer parts now.

scogoth

After changing all my fans around and trying different configurations found that my PSU fan was the loudest..... so I replaced it. Then I realized its a 135mm fan. Who uses a 135mm fan?!?! Nothing drilling can't fix!

Now my pump is the loudest thing in my case...... hmmmmm the battle continues.

Any chance AMD releases a single GPU card to compete with Titan?

Rumored Titan 'lite' might be the perfect card until maxwell hits (depending on price)

plainr_

After changing all my fans around and trying different configurations found that my PSU fan was the loudest..... so I replaced it. Then I realized its a 135mm fan. Who uses a 135mm fan?!?! Nothing drilling can't fix!

Same here. Replaced every damn fan in the system and I'm down to the pump being the loudest.

Hawk269

DRAM frequency in BIOS is 1600 MHz, while in CPU-Z it's 800 MHz.

How do I change this?

EDIT:

NVM, apparently CPU-Z reports half the speed, while BIOS reports it all.

I should probably google before i post again :)

lmao. Yeah, Google/Bing can come in handy, but you are going through new PC excitement and I think most of us here don't mind the numerous posts for some stuff. :)

Its as mkenyon said in a earlier discussion, AMD bet on multithreading last round and it didn't pan out as much as they had hoped (only a few PC games really take advantage of them iirc).

Now I wonder if it work out this time especially since all the consoles (Even the WiiU) have AMD stuff and hence their philosophy.

Nintendo's still sticking with IBM for their CPU.

But yeah, I wonder if Intel will bother responding by finally upping the stakes once again.

Ty4on

Same here. Replaced every damn fan in the system and I'm down to the pump being the loudest.

Fanless FTW!

Anyone here BTW who has a serious fanless rig? Seems really awesome not just with noise, but also dust.

Sarcasm

Hey I am buying new parts and doing a reformat..just to make sure..what important stuff should be back'd up? Especially gaming wise.

Also for dual channel memory...does it work like this if I get same speed but better memory in dual channel slot 1 than my not so great memory at slot 2..that be fine?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Does the PS4 CPU have AVX instruction set?

If CPUs aren't going anywhere until graphene is used, then it would be nice if software used the instruction sets that are 10-50x faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom