• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my ASUS VG248QE and connected via Display Port and I just get a black screen that says Display Port No Signal.

This seems to be the case with multi mon (1 DP / 1 DVI) or even just single mon display port. I have newest nVidia drivers and I'm also using the correct monitor driver from ASUS.

Any idea?

dopemethodz

Neo Member
I just got my ASUS VG248QE and connected via Display Port and I just get a black screen that says Display Port No Signal.

This seems to be the case with multi mon (1 DP / 1 DVI) or even just single mon display port. I have newest nVidia drivers and I'm also using the correct monitor driver from ASUS.

Any idea?

where did you get your cable for display port from?

scogoth

Any idea?

Which GPU?

scogoth

Fry's, does that actually make a difference?

Sorry, forgot to mention. EVGA GTX 680

Cable, maybe but doubt it. 680 supports simultaneous out on all outputs at once so that shouldn't be an issue. Look in Nvidia control panel > Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX. Is maximize 3D performance on? If it is put it on activate all displays

Cable, maybe but doubt it. 680 supports simultaneous out on all outputs at once so that shouldn't be an issue. Look in Nvidia control panel > Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX. Is maximize 3D performance on?

Just discovered from a cold boot it works fine. I even see the windows logo, but as soon as it tries to switch to the login screen it loses signal

dopemethodz

Neo Member
Fry's, does that actually make a difference?

Sorry, forgot to mention. EVGA GTX 680

it shouldnt but its possible..its more than likely the cable or the graphics card itself..do you have another card to test it on?

id recommend getting a cable from monoprice if all else fails..thats where i got mine & its been working fine

Ok I got it to work, but I can only get up to 85Hz. I'm not even sure what this means, but in the nVidia control panel for "Change resolution" there are two groups. The first is HD, SD and the resolution there says 1080p, 1920 x 1080 (native). When I set it to that, the only 3 choices for refresh rate are 50, 59, and 60 Hz. Also when I choose that one, I get the no signal problem.

Below that there's a "PC" resolution group, which also has an option which just says 1920 x 1080. The refresh rate options for that are 85Hz only. That works, but a) I can't get it up to 120Hz, and b) what is the difference between these resolutions, if both are 1920 x 1080?

It has the option to create a custom resolution even if the monitor doesn't support it, but I'm nervous to try doing that and setting it to 120Hz if it's going to damage something.

dopemethodz

Neo Member
Ok I got it to work, but I can only get up to 85Hz. I'm not even sure what this means, but in the nVidia control panel for "Change resolution" there are two groups. The first is HD, SD and the resolution there says 1080p, 1920 x 1080 (native). When I set it to that, the only 3 choices for refresh rate are 50, 59, and 60 Hz. Also when I choose that one, I get the no signal problem.

Below that there's a "PC" resolution group, which also has an option which just says 1920 x 1080. The refresh rate options for that are 85Hz only. That works, but a) I can't get it up to 120Hz, and b) what is the difference between these resolutions, if both are 1920 x 1080?

It has the option to create a custom resolution even if the monitor doesn't support it, but I'm nervous to try doing that and setting it to 120Hz if it's going to damage something.

sounds like the cable isnt handling higher signal being sent? do you see the option to change the refresh rate from the regular screen resolution > advanced settings > monitor?

dopemethodz

Neo Member
This is the cable I'm using:

http://www.siig.com/it-products/cab...port-to-displayport/displayport-cable-5m.html

Edit: A quick google search shows there's such a thing as DisplayPort 1.1 and DisplayPort 1.2. Could this make a difference? The cable I'm using doesn't specify which one it is

yea it can, did you pay $60 for this cable?

you should return it & just get this one

Code:
[URL="http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024601&p_id=5987&seq=1&format=2"]http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024601&p_id=5987&seq=1&format=2[/URL]

the cable i own is display port to mini display port & it states that it only supports displayport 1.1, but i get audio & video perfectly fine which means its working as 1.2

yea it can, did you pay $60 for this cable?

you should return it & just get this one

Code:
[URL="http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024601&p_id=5987&seq=1&format=2"]http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024601&p_id=5987&seq=1&format=2[/URL]

the cable i own is display port to mini display port & it states that it only supports displayport 1.1, but i get audio & video perfectly fine which means its working as 1.2

No I paid like $25 for it. Hate how expensive all these fucking cables are though, such a scam. Even $25 is a lot. It's just a damn wire.

And of course it was wrapped in one of those impossible to open containers that you have to basically use a wood chipper on to make a dent in it, so that's all shredded up and I doubt they'll take a return. Anyway I'll guess I'll think about getting another cable. Although there's no guarantee that will work either, could be a driver issue too.

scogoth

This is the cable I'm using:

http://www.siig.com/it-products/cab...port-to-displayport/displayport-cable-5m.html

Edit: A quick google search shows there's such a thing as DisplayPort 1.1 and DisplayPort 1.2. Could this make a difference? The cable I'm using doesn't specify which one it is

No I paid like $25 for it. Hate how expensive all these fucking cables are though, such a scam. Even $25 is a lot. It's just a damn wire.

And of course it was wrapped in one of those impossible to open containers that you have to basically use a wood chipper on to make a dent in it, so that's all shredded up and I doubt they'll take a return. Anyway I'll guess I'll think about getting another cable. Although there's no guarantee that will work either, could be a driver issue too.

Get a Dual Link DVI cable. Screw DisplayPort, I have 3 120Hz monitors and no issues with dual link dvi.

The difference between 1920x1080 and 1080p in nvidias control panel is the 1080p signal is guaranteed to stay with the spec for HDMI hence why it's limited to 60Hz. Why the other one is limited to 85 is beyond me, both DP 1.1 and 1.2 support 120Hz

And if you want to try the custom resolution it won't damage anything, worst that can happen is your monitor won't accept the signal.

kennah

My 2006 MacBook is finally dying forever so the rest of my build is getting put on hold for a few months or more while I replace it. In good news I get a new MacBook I guess. Gonna snag the used H100 so the Compact Splash isn't sitting there all sad and lonely and will just keep my 670 on air until finishing the build.

Kinda chuffs me to have to buy this now and not in July but I need one for work.

My 2006 MacBook is finally dying forever so the rest of my build is getting put on hold for a few months or more while I replace it. In good news I get a new MacBook I guess. Gonna snag the used H100 so the Compact Splash isn't sitting there all sad and lonely and will just keep my 670 on air until finishing the build.

Kinda chuffs me to have to buy this now and not in July but I need one for work.

No worries Kennah, you are just pleasure delaying your build! :)

Get a Dual Link DVI cable. Screw DisplayPort, I have 3 120Hz monitors and no issues with dual link dvi.

The difference between 1920x1080 and 1080p in nvidias control panel is the 1080p signal is guaranteed to stay with the spec for HDMI hence why it's limited to 60Hz. Why the other one is limited to 85 is beyond me, both DP 1.1 and 1.2 support 120Hz

And if you want to try the custom resolution it won't damage anything, worst that can happen is your monitor won't accept the signal.

I thought Dual Link DVI only went up to 85Hz though?

scogoth

Is there any way to tell by looking at my cable if it's dual link?

Haha yeah I keep posting the same post over and over. I need to get it in the op

You need DVI-I dual link or DVI-D dual link

Edit: turns out the 680 only has one DVI-I and one DVI-D so can't use DVI-I cables for both monitors.

500px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

scogoth

Another note, is it true a lot of games don't support two screens, meaning one for gaming, one for the desktop?
Every game supports that because the OS and driver supports that. Sometimes you have to manually set it up to run in full screen windowed mode though

Haha yeah I keep posting the same post over and over. I need to get it in the op

You need DVI-I dual link or DVI-D dual link

Edit: turns out the 680 only has one DVI-I and one DVI-D so can't use DVI-I cables for both monitors.

Both are dual link, one is just digital.

This thread thought me that :p

I have 3 120 hz monitors going off one 670, very satisfied with the performance

Pandemic

This may be a stupid question, but all the games from steam that I've been installing on my new computer, has been installing on the SDD I think... How do I shift them to the HDD.

Pandemic

Thanks for that. I only just realized everything including Google Chrome, MSI, steam, etc was going onto my SDD..

What are the necessary things on a SDD?

Grumbul

What are the necessary things on a SDD?

Personally I just had my OS and a few select programmes on my primary SSD along with my more frequently played games.

I then used a standard HDD for all my completed/less played games.

Since then I have however invested in a second SSD so pretty much all newly installed games go on that at the moment leaving my original SSD exclusively for the OS (still have a few select programmes on it).

Funny how I just realized all this now. What else wouldn't be nescessary on the SDD? Is STEAM something that can go on the HDD?

I find the best solution is to keep Steam and a couple of games on the SSD, use steammover to move the rest to a HDD. Steammover really is a 1 click solution to move games between drives.

Elixist

hey guys what do you think about amds cheaper quadcores, versus i3 now that games will be moving towards more cores and both next consoles having amds?

Anyone have experience with the Logitech M905?
logitech-m905.jpg

Looking to replace my M310 (bundled with the MK520), because it absolutely sucks. It has trouble picking up surfaces until I used my Wacom as a mousepad which worked alright. It's still very jittery if I try to draw a straight line even with a ruler. The main appeal I had with the M905 is with the any surface part which I hope would improve traction.

I'll be using this mostly for gaming and yes I'd rather use wireless. I also need the sidebuttons to be programmed as PTT key.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
hey guys what do you think about amds cheaper quadcores, versus i3 now that games will be moving towards more cores and both next consoles having amds?
Where DF posted that Crysis 3 CPU bench?

It still looks like this to me: http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed

What people deem acceptable performance is up to them. Plenty of time to wait and see what happened, but no point in gimping performance now to hope for equivalent performance later imo.

brentech

Is it possible to make the HDD the default drive for all my downloads and installs? Rather than the SDD?

If they're all going into
(SSD) C:\[Username]\Downloads

Then you can change the download folder's physical location by right clicking 'Downloads'.
Select 'Properties'
Select 'Location' tab
Select 'Find Target' button.
And then find the location on the HDD that you'd like your downloads to go to.

Or you can go into each individual browser or app that you're downloading with and find their download path to change it.

For installs, I think since your OS is on the SSD, you actually have to make the decision with each installation to go to the HDD. Since not all apps use the same installation software, I don't THINK there is a simple way to force everything to look there only.

Pandemic

If they're all going into
(SSD) C:\[Username]\Downloads

Then you can change the download folder's physical location by right clicking 'Downloads'.
Select 'Properties'
Select 'Location' tab
Select 'Find Target' button.
And then find the location on the HDD that you'd like your downloads to go to.

Or you can go into each individual browser or app that you're downloading with and find their download path to change it.

For installs, I think since your OS is on the SSD, you actually have to make the decision with each installation to go to the HDD. Since not all apps use the same installation software, I don't THINK there is a simple way to force everything to look there only.

Interesting... Thanks for the response mate, appreciate it.

Feels good to be able to play GTA IV high settings though.

Sarcasm

So WMP thinks I have almost no memory free so I can't play any music. I have 8GB free....than I try VLC and it plays but no sound.

Yet mumble and youtube work fine.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Buying a new mouse this week - my rebranded Logitech Alienware "Tact-X" mouse can no longer single-click correctly. It's driving me insane. I've had the mouse for about three years now, so it's time to upgrade, anyway.

I use a G700 for work and love it, and I used a G9X and G9 before getting this here Tact-x. I've had a couple Razer mice (still have an Orochi), and I just hate the way they track. I don't know if it makes sense - but it just feels like no matter how hard I try, the cursor feels a tad floaty.

So, this week I'm heavily leaning (almost definitely) toward getting the G700s. But will just always use it wired.

However, everyone seems to praise the Sensei from Steelseries. Can anyone comment on its tracking versus Logitech and Razer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom