• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Found a good deal on a Corair AX850 Gold modular powrsupply.

I know that Seasonic is the Go-To; but this has good reviews both by critics and actual users. And the price difference seems worth it to stick with the Corsair. Any thoughts?

Also, I've had it in my head to go with 850W for a while - I'll never do tri-SLI; it's just not worth it, I don't think. I know it should be more than enough for two video cards (670s for now) that are OC'd, and an OC'd Haswell ... along with 5-6 drives and 6-8 fans.

But I'm correct in assuming there's no way I could upgrade to water cooling my GPUs in the future, right? I'd need more power?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm thinking about building a PC or getting an Alienware x51. But I want a gaming PC in a console sized box to go under my 50 1080p Plasma TV.

Sorry for the double post... but the X51 is actually not a bad deal at all. Make sure you get one with a 330W powersupply and at least an i5. Throw a 660Ti in it and have fun! Great rig. And if you keep an eye on coupons and sales on Dell's outlet site, you could probably snag one for under $800. If you want something small and "console sized", it's the best option, IMO.

You could definitely do a HTPC which would be like "receiver size." If that doesn't bug you, then I'd consider a custom build.

Deku Tree

Sorry for the double post... but the X51 is actually not a bad deal at all. Make sure you get one with a 330W powersupply and at least an i5. Throw a 660Ti in it and have fun! Great rig. And if you keep an eye on coupons and sales on Dell's outlet site, you could probably snag one for under $800. If you want something small and "console sized", it's the best option, IMO.

You could definitely do a HTPC which would be like "receiver size." If that doesn't bug you, then I'd consider a custom build.

Thanks!

Mr. Hyde

I think my four year old pc's motherboard or video card has died. When I always turned it on, the fans would start loud and it would beep and then go into normal fan power to load up. Now however, the fans start loud and it stays like that without a monitor signal or anything else. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Alucrid

Banned
Quick question, are these two sticks of ram the same?

I bought this one and put it in. It was working fine for a bit then kept making my display artifact and computer lock up. Put the old sticks in and it's fine. Crucial's site suggested this one. So are they different or did I just end up with a bad pair of ram? Obviously they're two different brands, but I mean they share the same compatibility.

knitoe

Quick question, are these two sticks of ram the same?

I bought this one and put it in. It was working fine for a bit then kept making my display artifact and computer lock up. Put the old sticks in and it's fine. Crucial's site suggested this one. So are they different or did I just end up with a bad pair of ram? Obviously they're two different brands, but I mean they share the same compatibility.

Probably, bad ram. Run Memtest.

Tensketch

I'm based in the UK looking to upgrade. Currently running a machine using this bundle with 8 gig of ram. and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm not thinking anything massive, just a nice CPU upgrade. After looking at what's available for my price point, I am thinking the i5 3570k, however, since Haswell is due next month, is it worth waiting and getting the newest socket?

The money that I will be saving buying the i5 is a major plus, but the socket wont be used any more, so I'm buying essentially outdated tech.

So I'm looking for opinions, i5 3570k? or go for the i7 4770k?

kharma45

Wait for the new i5 would be my suggestion, it's not far now. You'll get a slight performance boost of 10% clock for clock for the same money as the current range.

You also have the option of the AMD 8320 and 8350 should you wish to stick with your current mobo. They're not as strong as the i5 per thread though, but it is a cheaper alternative that is worth a shout as they're not bad CPUs. Still, if you can afford an i5 plus new mobo I would probably go down that route.

Jezbollah

Evening all.

Looking to replace the stock fans of my Corsair C70 with some ultra quiet ones.

Does anyone have any suggestions over the best silent 120mm fans currently on the market? Budget is not an issue, am not looking to order till after pay day ;)

Cheers!

Tensketch

Wait for the new i5 would be my suggestion, it's not far now. You'll get a slight performance boost of 10% clock for clock for the same money as the current range.

You also have the option of the AMD 8320 and 8350 should you wish to stick with your current mobo. They're not as strong as the i5 per thread though, but it is a cheaper alternative that is worth a shout as they're not bad CPUs. Still, if you can afford an i5 plus new mobo I would probably go down that route.

I heard the AMD option is a huge power muncher though, like really power hungry in comparison. Which is why I wanted to go down the intel road for the first time.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'm based in the UK looking to upgrade. Currently running a machine using this bundle with 8 gig of ram. and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm not thinking anything massive, just a nice CPU upgrade. After looking at what's available for my price point, I am thinking the i5 3570k, however, since Haswell is due next month, is it worth waiting and getting the newest socket?

The money that I will be saving buying the i5 is a major plus, but the socket wont be used any more, so I'm buying essentially outdated tech.

So I'm looking for opinions, i5 3570k? or go for the i7 4770k?

If you got the money and wish to overclock I say that I7 it's already up to speeds using less voltage than the 3570k does.

mkenyon

Banned
Found a good deal on a Corair AX850 Gold modular powrsupply.

I know that Seasonic is the Go-To; but this has good reviews both by critics and actual users. And the price difference seems worth it to stick with the Corsair. Any thoughts?

Also, I've had it in my head to go with 850W for a while - I'll never do tri-SLI; it's just not worth it, I don't think. I know it should be more than enough for two video cards (670s for now) that are OC'd, and an OC'd Haswell ... along with 5-6 drives and 6-8 fans.

But I'm correct in assuming there's no way I could upgrade to water cooling my GPUs in the future, right? I'd need more power?
AX850 is a seasonic.

With two 670s fully OCd, you will have about 400-450 total system draw. With three, probably 550-600.

Smash88

Banned
I'm still going to wait for more legitimate reviews before I come to the conclusion that the performance increase on Haswell is not at the 10% mark that Intel has stated.

Skel1ingt0n

AX850 is a seasonic.

With two 670s fully OCd, you will have about 400-450 total system draw. With three, probably 550-600.

Didn't know it was a Seasonic. Well hot dog; thanks for the heads up.

Looks like my deal might be falling through; but even then, I think that's gonna be my go-to, now.

Thoughts on the Swiftech H220 CPU cooler?

I was perusing Microcenter today, and some employee was taking all the all-in-one liquid coolers out of their boxes and showing off each one to a customer. Man, the Swiftech build was leaps and bounds nicer than the others. The tubing was great, the radiator heavy, the fans looked good. I read reviews on Newegg and they're all 5 stars. Think I'm gonna order it. Any reason not to?

Smash88

Banned
Didn't know it was a Seasonic. Well hot dog; thanks for the heads up.

Looks like my deal might be falling through; but even then, I think that's gonna be my go-to, now.

I was perusing Microcenter today, and some employee was taking all the all-in-one liquid coolers out of their boxes and showing off each one to a customer. Man, the Swiftech build was leaps and bounds nicer than the others. The tubing was great, the radiator heavy, the fans looked good. I read reviews on Newegg and they're all 5 stars. Think I'm gonna order it. Any reason not to?

All I can say is if the H220 is available I would go with it. But I live in Canada, and the only thing available for me is the H100i. My problems aside, I've heard nothing but good things about it and it is definitely the better option if available.

vilmer_

You should go with one of their custom water cooling kits ;)

Skel1ingt0n

You should go with one of their custom water cooling kits ;)

Ya know, it really does pique my interest. But past the fact it confuses me and I swear I'll end up buying the wrong stuff; I just don't quite understand how people justify the cost.

Yeah, it's more quiet - which is awesome, I agree. But with an SLI setup, unless I'm doing something wrong, it looks like you're gonna spend at least and extra $400 on the kit. Eeek! I'd rather just have another video card.

mkenyon

Banned
Ya know, it really does pique my interest. But past the fact it confuses me and I swear I'll end up buying the wrong stuff; I just don't quite understand how people justify the cost.

Yeah, it's more quiet - which is awesome, I agree. But with an SLI setup, unless I'm doing something wrong, it looks like you're gonna spend at least and extra $400 on the kit. Eeek! I'd rather just have another video card.
The thing about water cooling is that you can start cheap, and build off of the platform for more additions. Everything besides GPU and motherboard blocks are easily transferred to whatever new PC you build. CPU blocks, rads, pumps, and bits don't go obsolete.

xJavonta

Banned
So uh, when's the SG10 being released? Has Silverstine said anything about it? It's literally the only reason I haven't gone mitx yet but at this rate I might as well

Skel1ingt0n

Am I misreading the CPU-Z screen or did they manage to hit 5 Ghz with less than 1 v core voltage?

That's what I read, too... but kept quiet since I figured I was reading wrong, as well.

I'd love for 5Ghz to be an easy target. That'd be amazing.

mkenyon

Banned
So uh, when's the SG10 being released? Has Silverstine said anything about it? It's literally the only reason I haven't gone mitx yet but at this rate I might as well
The lack of the RV04/FT04 is weird as well.

They've been showing those cases for what seems like forever without any solid release dates. SG10 would be a killer mATX case. I love the SG09 design but am rather dissatisfied with the almost HAF aesthetic.

Skel1ingt0n

So what's the best 120hz monitor these days? BenQ and Samsung are still the only options?

There's a 23" ASUS model that seems to be the Go-To nowadays. Forget the exact model number, and can't find it on NewEgg. But it's like $250 and has 1ms response time.

Hey guys, quick question on GPU purchasing.

Right now, I'm playing on a AMD HD 4890, it works fine for now but I'm wanting to upgrade this year and have heard of a few different cards coming into play.
GTX 700/Titan: Sounds badass, but super expensive. Titan sounds only about on par with a 7990.
GTX 680/AMD 7970: More reasonable pricing, but both will be a gen behind when I get them.
AMD 9000 series: Coming out supposedly in Q3 or 4 this year and it sounds like a beast (GDDR5 on a 512 bit bus) Possibly thrash Titan?

Basically, should I just buy some $300ish dollar card now and truck away for 3-4 more years or are the cards that are coming better than the current line up enough to wait and buy those?

LCGeek

formerly sane
There's a 23" ASUS model that seems to be the Go-To nowadays. Forget the exact model number, and can't find it on NewEgg. But it's like $250 and has 1ms response time.

Asus VG248QE this is another fav. I don't think it's on sale anymore but it was 230 this past week.

Not only certain asus and benq good for response time but lightboosting maybe up your alley if you dislike motionblur trailing on lcds.

Radec

quick question, I have a 256GB SSD (partitioned) and if I want to downgrade to a 128GB SSD, Can I clone my drive C and D and restore it to the 128gb SSD normally ?

My games are in Drive D and I would like to not-reinstall them. :/

Ty4on

Tony Ou - SilverStone Tech Representative said:
Sorry! It takes a little bit more time for the cases to reach North America and Europe than rest of the world. But I expect SG10 to be available sometimes next week for North America and in June for Europe.

Forum post. RV04 also has a product page, but FT04 hasn't :/

Hesemonni

Banned
So, my current basic setup is:

CPU: i5-2500k @ 3.3 GHz
GPU: GTX 570 1.28GB
MB : MSI P67A-C45
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
HDD: 250GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

I'm quite happy with the performance overall. I'm thinking about the future tho' or rather the ugradeability: If my CPU runs out of juice someday I'll just overclock it a bit to be good until next complete build. RAM wise I'm good aswell as S(/H)DD wise. GPU's going to have to be upgraded at some point. My mobo has only PCIE 2.0 slot. Is that going to bottleneck me with let's say GTX 770 (or even GTX 870 in the future)?

Jezbollah

quick question, I have a 256GB SSD (partitioned) and if I want to downgrade to a 128GB SSD, Can I clone my drive C and D and restore it to the 128gb SSD normally ?

My games are in Drive D and I would like to not-reinstall them. :/

Couldnt you just shrink the volume in Windows Disk Management?

Edit: I assume you were not going to buy a new SSD. If you were, you should be able to back up the volume and restore. You would only need to do it via Windows and restore by booting up a DVD/USB stick and going into Windows Setup.

Ty4on

So, my current basic setup is:

CPU: i5-2500k @ 3.3 GHz
GPU: GTX 570 1.28GB
MB : MSI P67A-C45
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
HDD: 250GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

I'm quite happy with the performance overall. I'm thinking about the future tho' or rather the ugradeability: If my CPU runs out of juice someday I'll just overclock it a bit to be good until next complete build. RAM wise I'm good aswell as S(/H)DD wise. GPU's going to have to be upgraded at some point. My mobo has only PCIE 2.0 slot. Is that going to bottleneck me with let's say GTX 770 (or even GTX 870 in the future)?

PCIE 2 and 3 make pretty much no difference with the 690 IIRC. It's more important for workstations that need good bandwidth between the GPU and CPU.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So guys after a good 3 weeks or so I've been very stable at 4.5Ghz at 1.335 on the Vcore.

I have adjusted it so when idle the cpu runs at 3.2Ghz and turbos upto 4.5Ghz at load. Now the thing is the temps are pretty good staying at 32c - 38c idle and 65c average during load maybe sometimes hitting 70c on a few cores.

I've decided I would like to lower the temps at idle. Now the default Vcore is 1.120 so what kind of offset do I need to do at load? I've currently at it at 0.195 which puts it at 1.336 but the temps have not improved.

I'm going to run Prime now so if it BSOD's I just increase the offset?

Edit: That wasnt good Vcore jumped to 1.56v and temps hit 98c eeeek.

knitoe

So guys after a good 3 weeks or so I've been very stable at 4.5Ghz at 1.335 on the Vcore.

I have adjusted it so when idle the cpu runs at 3.2Ghz and turbos upto 4.5Ghz at load. Now the thing is the temps are pretty good staying at 32c - 38c idle and 65c average during load maybe sometimes hitting 70c on a few cores.

I've decided I would like to lower the temps at idle. Now the default Vcore is 1.120 so what kind of offset do I need to do at load? I've currently at it at 0.195 which puts it at 1.336 but the temps have not improved.

I'm going to run Prime now so if it BSOD's I just increase the offset?

Edit: That wasnt good Vcore jumped to 1.56v and temps hit 98c eeeek.

If you were 4.5GHz @ 1.35V. Start by using settings + offset number that gives 1.35V under Prime95. Next, lower be 0.10V each time starting at 1.35V until the computer crash testing with Prime95. Then, increase the offset by 0.10 and retest. If it's stable, try lowering by 0.05V. If still crash, increase by 0.05V.

Dave_6

Ok I think I'm ready to try and overclock my 3570K. I am using an MSI MPower mobo with a Corsair H60 cooler. Is the video in the OP a good one to follow for my setup or this there another one more specific for the MPower? A nice guide came with the mobo but it seems more of a general guide than an in-depth one.

If you were 4.5GHz @ 1.35V. Start by using settings + offset number that gives 1.35V under Prime95. Next, lower be 0.10V each time starting at 1.35V until the computer crash testing with Prime95. Then, increase the offset by 0.10 and retest. If it's stable, try lowering by 0.05V. If still crash, increase by 0.05V.

Then when no crashes check event viewer for errors for extra fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom