• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

hmmm

current rig is i5 2500k, 8gigs ram, 570gtx, its getting a bit old. I built it for battlefield 3 / skyrim.

I'm not gonna do a full rebuild till the new xbox/ps4 is out for awhile (new engines etc), but I do think I could upgrade my gpu to a 770 and coast on that + above rig for another couple of years? Would jumping from 8 gigs ram to 16 matter much?

Nope it won't for gaming. You only ever need more RAM if you're using all that you have, otherwise it's a waste imo.

Upgrading your GPU will bring a nice boost, and if you haven't done so already I would look into overclocking your CPU.

You can. I got no interest for a year from one of the most popular Internet retailers. I'm sure many of them offer it. I don't know if its against the rules for me to say where...?

Ah that's good. I don't believe there is anything against saying which retailers offer interest free payments.

Nope it won't for gaming. You only ever need more RAM if you're using all that you have, otherwise it's a waste imo.

Upgrading your GPU will bring a nice boost, and if you haven't done so already I would look into overclocking your CPU.

I havent oc'd the cpu, I just let it throttle to 3.7 during turbo mode or whatever the technology has on it. I have air cooling too (a huge ass after market cooler, it was from the thread back in the day). I don't mess with it, I'd rather have a little lower performance than fussing around with voltages, multipliers, and stress testing.

kharma45

I havent oc'd the cpu, I just let it throttle to 3.7 during turbo mode or whatever the technology has on it. I have air cooling too (a huge ass after market cooler, it was from the thread back in the day).

You should be easily able to get your 2500K up to 4-4.2GHz, really worth doing.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I havent oc'd the cpu, I just let it throttle to 3.7 during turbo mode or whatever the technology has on it. I have air cooling too (a huge ass after market cooler, it was from the thread back in the day). I don't mess with it, I'd rather have a little lower performance than fussing around with voltages, multipliers, and stress testing.

The only time I bother with stress testing is when doing massive OCs. 4.2GHz is easy and pretty much no-fuss. Hell, you could probably go higher without issue, too.

kharma45

Yep. I had my 2500K up to 4.5GHz on air and stable but reined it back in until I've more time to play around with fan profiles for it.

Smokey

Been in this thread for almost 3 years. Bored I decided to go back and look at where it started, in early 2010:

No that's not including monitor which I already have. Also I think I would go with the i7 860 after reading up on it for a few days. As for a build in mind something like this:

i7 860
SSD
TB HD
8GB RAM
5870/GTX 480

As far as case, motherboard, power supply and other things I'm missing I have no clue. Also I said 1.2k, but I'd be willing to go up to 1.5k but not any higher than that.

lol

Here's what I'm hoping I'll get in the summer. It will be my one gift to myself:

LIAN LI PC-B70 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112224

Core i7 930
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115225

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128362

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167023

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 2GB 256-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102888

CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 1600 DDR3 SDRAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145253

Total:

$2,113

I may switch out the 5870 for a GTX 480 because I really want 3-D etc. It'd be like $30 more than the 5870 I have now.

Anyway that's what I've got. Is that WD Hard Drive ok? I think everything else is fine. I gave myself a $2,000 budget and went over by a little more than $100, but that's ok. I'm sure I could find that somewhere.

Thoughts?

Double lol

So I've finally finished the machine that I'm hoping to get this summer. Tax return was way more than I thought it would be plus my situation in the summer and here is what I've come to (I've changed somethings around from last time; case, memory etc):

Core i7 930
GTX 480 x 2 (for SLI)
Gigabyte GA-EX85 UD5 Motherboard
Corsair XMS 6GB RAM
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full ATX case (decided to go with this over mid atx for the reason because of the 2 480s).
Corsair 1000W Powersupply
Intel X-25 80GB SSD
Samsung F3 1TB HD
Sony DVD Burner

Graphic card situation is fluid (and we'll see what else gets unveiled in the next couple of months), but I'm 80% sure I'm going the 480 route because I want to take advantage of 3D. Still researching the few 120hz 3D monitors so I'm not sure as of now which one I'll settle on.

This fairly close to what I ended up with in the summer of 2011 when I finally manned up and built my machine. I ended up with a 2600k, 2 580s, 8GB , FT02 case, and a 850w PSU. But this was the foundation of it all. Now the only thing left over from that machine is the processor,HDD/SSD, and my case!

Fun going back and looking at where it all went wrong on dat budget lol

That's exactly the recommended one.

EDIT:
My $600 budget is sitting somewhere around $1400 spent right now.

eh I just get a bit ocd about this stuff and I don't think Ive oc'd anything since like 2004, Id have to look up how to do my ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 board settings.

Who says anything about after? :p

Right now, I have:

Rampage Gene IV/3820/690 system (caselabs sm5)
Gigabyte Z77X-UP7/3570K/7970 Matrix system (test bench, probably headed for LD PC-V7)
ASUS P8Z77-I/2500K/670 system (Prodigy)

and when Haswell launches I'll add an MPower Max, 4770K, and who knows what for GPU. That'll likely be the one to go in it.

I may end up going with the Gigabyte G1.Killer mATX board with a 4770K, and opt for the Corsair 350D though.

350D looks sweet, too bad it's not Aluminum :p
Compact Splash will be my last steel case, most probably. After that, it's full Alu or bust!

kennah

eh I just get a bit ocd about this stuff and I don't think Ive oc'd anything since like 2004, Id have to look up how to do my ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 board settings.

It is literally finding the multiplier in the bios and changing it to 42 and booting. Then if you want to play around with it more you can try 43, 44. And if those don't work you can play with vcore (don't put it higher than 1.5).

That's it. Seriously.

Howdy. I'm looking at getting an optical drive amongst other bits. I previously had the Lite-On LH-20A1S. But it has worn out after a few years due to a strange mechanism. I'm trying to repair it but it's looking like it won't be a long term solution.

Is there any major difference in the mechanism of the motor and tray between brands? I'm hesitant to buy another Lite-On if it will just break on me after a few years. I see lots of love for Asus, but is it backed up by actual any reliability data?

Additionally my current mother board is SATA 2.0 and it seems the drives I'm looking at are SATA 3.0 now mostly. Is this going to be an issue? Mostly interested in Western Digital green drives but if you have any suggestions on other low energy drives I'm all ears.

If the reference cards from NVIDIA release this month for the 700 series and then around 6/4 for the 760 TI, how long will it be before EVGA can put their cards out? I was reading somewhere that NVIDIA wanted to release their reference cards out first for a limited time before everyone else can start releasing theirs. Is that true? I'm itching to upgrade my card and I don't want to wait another 1.5 months.

kennah

Howdy. I'm looking at getting an optical drive amongst other bits. I previously had the Lite-On LH-20A1S. But it has worn out after a few years due to a strange mechanism. I'm trying to repair it but it's looking like it won't be a long term solution.

Is there any major difference in the mechanism of the motor and tray between brands? I'm hesitant to buy another Lite-On if it will just break on me after a few years. I see lots of love for Asus, but is it backed up by actual any reliability data?

Additionally my current mother board is SATA 2.0 and it seems the drives I'm looking at are SATA 3.0 now mostly. Is this going to be an issue? Mostly interested in Western Digital green drives but if you have any suggestions on other low energy drives I'm all ears.

All SATA is backwards and forwards compatible. You can use a 3.0 drive on a 1.0 port and a 1.0 drive on a 3.0 port. It don't care. It will only ever run at the speed of the slowest component though. So an SSD on a 1.0 port is gonna be a bad time.

What kind of use are you doing? If you are a very frequent use of a DVD drive, it's going to wear out. 3 years of once a week I'd be a bit wary, but if it's 3 years of 5-6 hours a day use then you got your money's worth out of it.

kharma45

All SATA is backwards and forwards compatible. You can use a 3.0 drive on a 1.0 port and a 1.0 drive on a 3.0 port. It don't care. It will only ever run at the speed of the slowest component though. So an SSD on a 1.0 port is gonna be a bad time.

What kind of use are you doing? If you are a very frequent use of a DVD drive, it's going to wear out. 3 years of once a week I'd be a bit wary, but if it's 3 years of 5-6 hours a day use then you got your money's worth out of it.
Ah that's an interesting point I hadn't considered I'm not going to get the most out of the SSD until I go for SATA 3.0. I might as well hold off on the SSD for a bit. Appreciate the advice, I had read about drive jumpers but that seems to mostly concern people using SATA 1.0. It's just average use you know, burning a few discs a month for back up. That's why I was so shocked it wore out.

kharma45

I knew OCZ was bad but 1 in 2? That's fucking criminally bad.

Any figures on how the Vertex 4 is holding up in general? read good performance figures in reviews but to me long term reliability is key in SSDs.

It is literally finding the multiplier in the bios and changing it to 42 and booting. Then if you want to play around with it more you can try 43, 44. And if those don't work you can play with vcore (don't put it higher than 1.5).

That's it. Seriously.

if I wanted 4.1 what would I set vcore for and the oc is just under the turbo mode right? (that kicks in during gaming) I think standard it runs at 3.3?

Soulstar

I've been feeling the urge to get a new case for a while now and between going in there to install my new video card and ssd while at the same time my case fans are starting act up I really feel like it's time now.

The only problem is I can't decide which one I want so I'll ask you guys to help me choose:

Fractal Design Define R4 or Corsair Obsidian 550D.

Sidenote: I'm also going to get a modular PSU cause I'm so done with non-modular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088. This is one you would recommend to get, correct?

Smokey

if I wanted 4.1 what would I set vcore for and the oc is just under the turbo mode right? (that kicks in during gaming) I think standard it runs at 3.3?

You would change the multiplier to 41. You could leave vcore on manual or whatever the default setting is. It's not really until you want to get in the 4.5+ range that you have to do a bit of tweaking.

Jezbollah

Hi all - I've got a couple of questions:

What is the best, free, simple CPU/GPU temperature monitor for Windows 8?

also,

I just put quite a deep scratch into my LCD monitor - does anyone have any tips about reducing or removing the appearance of scratches in their display?

Cheers

Dan

M3z_

Newegg is running a $15 off of $150/$30 off of $250/$50 off of $500 purchases right now so I picked up the Asus 144hz monitor for only $240.

Promo codes are:

boost15

boostthirty

boostfifty

350D looks sweet, too bad it's not Aluminum :p
Compact Splash will be my last steel case, most probably. After that, it's full Alu or bust!

Also any optical drive kinda fucks up the look of the front since it sinks it in past the aluminum pieces/doesn't have the aluminum side parts that the bigger version does. Not a problem for everyone though.

eYiWiQH.jpg

Only pic I could find.

The only problem is I can't decide which one I want so I'll ask you guys to help me choose:

Fractal Design Define R4 or Corsair Obsidian 550D.

I personally like the 550D more, but know it is more for aesthetics. It is a more expensive case, but a few of the parts do feel nicer. The front door for one. The front facing front panel may be necessary as well depending on how much desk clearance you have. No major gripes with either though past aesthetics, so just have to weigh that against the extra cost to make your choice.

Demon Ice

Banned

I thought turbo mode was just for when an application isn't threaded, so the processor will only boost one of the cores to 3.7 Ghz for use with the application.

When you OC it you're getting all 4 cores running at whatever speed you OC to. Unless I'm mistaken.

Any experiences with the Pioneer DVR-220LBKS or similar Pioneer models? I've done a little research, brief consensus was quiet but not as long lasting as other brands. Might admit defeat and just go with one of the LiteOn manufactured Asus models.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
And today I ordered an SLI bridge (why are they all so ugly?) and I'm currently mulling over a good deal on a 480GB OWC SATA3 SSD.

:) Man, it's fun prepping for a new build - but it sure does get expensive, fast.

I think the next thing on my list is a case, which I'm still debating on. On one hand - I want to really splurge on that Little Devil - but honestly, I just don't think I can justify these $300-$500 cases. I don't know if it will give me that much "extra thrill." Decisions... man... decisions... Wish I could find a window'd Lian-Li I really liked after all the recommendations here; just nothing jumps out at me.

So, as of now, I already (or almost already) have:

128GB SATA3 SSD for boot
480GB SATA3 SSD for most-played games
2TB Western Digital Black for rest of games
... might go buy the $140 4TB Seagate at Costco this weekend and harvest the drive for media

4GB GTX 670 x 2 in SLI

Blu-Ray Burner, physical fan controller, and keyboard/mouse/monitor/etc

Windows 8 License

Still debating on:

Case
Fans
... pretty sure I'm gonna go with an H100i for the CPU cooler

Waiting on but pretty set on:

Haswell i5
New MSI MPower board (that pic that mk keeps posting is lust-worthy)
16GB of some type of matching RAM with high clocks

Need recomendations on:

Powersupply. I'm thinking 850W Seasonic?
Best pre-sleeved cables that don't cost an arm-and-a-leg

kharma45

And today I ordered an SLI bridge (why are they all so ugly?) and I'm currently mulling over a good deal on a 480GB OWC SATA3 SSD.

:) Man, it's fun prepping for a new build - but it sure does get expensive, fast.

I think the next thing on my list is a case, which I'm still debating on. On one hand - I want to really splurge on that Little Devil - but honestly, I just don't think I can justify these $300-$500 cases. I don't know if it will give me that much "extra thrill." Decisions... man... decisions... Wish I could find a window'd Lian-Li I really liked after all the recommendations here; just nothing jumps out at me.

So, as of now, I already (or almost already) have:

128GB SATA3 SSD for boot
480GB SATA3 SSD for most-played games
2TB Western Digital Black for rest of games
... might go buy the $140 4TB Seagate at Costco this weekend and harvest the drive for media

4GB GTX 670 x 2 in SLI

Blu-Ray Burner, physical fan controller, and keyboard/mouse/monitor/etc

Windows 8 License

Still debating on:

Case
Fans
... pretty sure I'm gonna go with an H100i for the CPU cooler

Waiting on but pretty set on:

Haswell i5
New MSI MPower board (that pic that mk keeps posting is lust-worthy)
16GB of some type of matching RAM with high clocks

Need recomendations on:

Powersupply. I'm thinking 850W Seasonic?
Best pre-sleeved cables that don't cost an arm-and-a-leg

Yeah an 850w Seasonic Gold/XFX Gold/Corsair Gold (or even the Plantium models) would be what I'd look at. 750w would still be fine too.

Does not compute :p

As usual computer hardware refreshes strike again.

Fixed it now :p

scogoth

Been in this thread for almost 3 years. Bored I decided to go back and look at where it started, in early 2010:

lol

Double lol

This fairly close to what I ended up with in the summer of 2011 when I finally manned up and built my machine. I ended up with a 2600k, 2 580s, 8GB , FT02 case, and a 850w PSU. But this was the foundation of it all. Now the only thing left over from that machine is the processor,HDD/SSD, and my case!

Fun going back and looking at where it all went wrong on dat budget lol

That's exactly the recommended one.

EDIT:
My $600 budget is sitting somewhere around $1400 spent right now.

Lightweights.

Me: "so mkenyon what should I buy?"
mkenyon: "120hz, triple screen, SSD, Monsoon, gold, Monstaa, delid ivy, aquaero are all buzz words right now sooo...."

totally not what happened, and I love my rig now thanks to a little devil on my shoulder.

And now I'm supposed to buy some gold and black Z87 board

scogoth

I feel like I should shop my face in the famous Dew and Doritos pic, replace those with a 120hz monitor and an aluminum case.

In Europe and only have iPhone. Can someone make a gif of peanut butter jelly time with 120hz Lian time as text as a response to this?

ok so I got home switched my multiplier from 33 to 42, when I run cpuz I see it jump from 16 to 42, in a second or two here and there, but when I put it under load (prime95, 100% on all 4 cores) it hovers around 39 with a 1.2x voltage (i dont touch this in bio i leave everyone on auto)

oc_1_zps413bf3f5.png

but when I go into the bios and switch the oc tweaker from disabled to 4.2 I get this
oc_2_zps98bc6d36.png

and mobo info
oc_3_zps878d8ac3.png

Right now I've got it set to back to the manual multiplier and 42. The 4.2 preset setting makes me nervous with the 1.4v under load even if it does hit 4.2 according to cpuz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom