• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentech

Not figuring out your sweet spot voltage is why it drops down to 39. those voltage fluctuations have an impact on a fixed overclock. Have you run Prime for 12+ hours to see if it's actually stable?

I'm using an offset overclock. So when not under load like right now as I type, it sits at 1600mhz and when loading a bunch of web or playing it game I jump up to 4400mhz

Smokey

ok so I got home switched my multiplier from 33 to 42, when I run cpuz I see it jump from 16 to 42, in a second or two here and there, but when I put it under load (prime95, 100% on all 4 cores) it hovers around 39 with a 1.2x voltage (i dont touch this in bio i leave everyone on auto)

(CPU-Z pics)

Right now I've got it set to back to the manual multiplier and 42. The 4.2 preset setting makes me nervous with the 1.4v under load even if it does hit 4.2 according to cpuz.

1.4v is high for 4.2ghz. For reference I'm at 4.7ghz @ 1.3v. Also there's nothing to be nervous about. You're not going to blow up your machine. Your CPU will shut down if it needs to before anything like that happens.

Go back to your BIOS and change the voltage setting to manual. Start at 1.3v. Go back and run your tests. Keep a temp monitoring program open to watch your temps. After you run your tests for a while with no blue screens, go back and up the multiplier to 4.3 Rinse repeat until you get to a point where you get a blue screen. Means you most likely need more voltage. Then you'll go back and up the voltage (to something like 1.32 for example).

You keep doing this until you find a stable and happy medium with your voltage and your OC speed. Once you have determined the appropriate voltage, then you can look into moving from manual mode to offset mode. Manual mode applies a constant amount of voltage based on what you set. Offset lowers the voltage when the CPU is idle. I've personally left mine at manual for a year+ now and have not had any issues.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
8727510516_697dfd79c9_z.jpg

AAAAnnnnd bought! Woo!

zombiesupastar post if ur ok

ok jacked up ipad pics of monitor incoming

my settings right now

and the cpuz under prime, it still seems to fluctuate to 39 (and doesnt hit 1.3 voltage either seems to stay at 1.280 at the highest) although loading firefox has it near 4.2 more than prime does (go figure...)

oc_4_zpse2827c64.png

I just want 4.2 so far nothing has happened, but shouldn't it constantly be at x42 when doing prime tests? I am running the blend test and all 4 cores are @ 100%, meh its becoming a headache, i have to hit the gym so ill check back later

Soulstar

Yeah that Seasonic is a phenomenally good unit.

I would lean towards the R4 myself, Tom's has a decent comparison here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/corsa...define-r4-gigabyte-luxo-m10,review-32595.html

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards the R4 as well so I think I'll get that.

I was looking at getting a couple Cougar Vortex fans to put in the case but I'm not sure which ones to get. Should I get the 120mm or 140mm and should I get them with PWM or without?

so i missed my workout tonight fucking with this damn pc, I hate my former college rec center lame ass fucking closing early at 8 pm fridays so they can get their whore on.

bro1

Banned
I'm confused about the PSU issue with Haswell. I just bought a Silverstone 600w modular PSU and I was hoping I could use it when I upgrade next. If I disable sleep mode on Haswell, will this be an issue?

TheD

The Detective

my settings right now

and the cpuz under prime, it still seems to fluctuate to 39 (and doesnt hit 1.3 voltage either seems to stay at 1.280 at the highest) although loading firefox has it near 4.2 more than prime does (go figure...)

oc_4_zpse2827c64.png

I just want 4.2 so far nothing has happened, but shouldn't it constantly be at x42 when doing prime tests? I am running the blend test and all 4 cores are @ 100%, meh its becoming a headache, i have to hit the gym so ill check back later

Increase the Core current limit and I think the Turbo boost power limit.

Demon Ice

Banned
I'm confused about the PSU issue with Haswell. I just bought a Silverstone 600w modular PSU and I was hoping I could use it when I upgrade next. If I disable sleep mode on Haswell, will this be an issue?

Edit: Whoops, you said Silverstone. I can't read, sorry. I would assume disabling sleep mode would do the trick but I would wait for somebody more knowledgeable to chime in.

What model Seasonic? They just released this press release that lists the compatible PSUs with the new sleep mode.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

my settings right now

oc_4_zpse2827c64.png

Try setting Turbo Boost Power Limit to Manual. Not sure exactly what to set it to, but get it off auto.
Doubt it. It just seems like a low power crossload test (i.e. some idle stuff on 5VSB / 3.3V) and minimal draw on 12V. Any good PSU should handle that no problem.

SilverStone Press Release: www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/PSU/2013_H_CPU_support.pdf

kennah

All ruined by that C70

Came with the parts. That pile of stuff was $650. Thinking of flipping the case and putting it in a Ghost. (this build sadly isn't mine, but for a friend. These parts are going to sit taunting me until the 780 comes out)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
ok what is a good load line calibration? it was set to auto, but im reading 2-4 is good?

Depends. On the motherboard, the processor, etc.

Generally I go for 3/4 max. I find that max gets unstable at transient voltage, and off means you have to overcompensate fixed voltage to get where you want at load.

This may or may not be the best place but it'll get the most recognition:

Computer got turned off last night, and now it won't turn on. Motherboard light is on, and the when I press the button to turn it on, the fans spin for a second and cut out. Unplugged everything unnecessary so it was just PSU, fan, motherboard, and processor running and it still did the same thing, which leads me to believe it's one of two things: Either the motherboard is fried (which i don't think it is, the power light is on) or the power supply is shot.

From several days ago:

I got a new power supply and it was indeed the main issue. Sucks but oh well.

Now I have another issue and i can't figure out what. My cpu was overheating, running 90C at idle. Applied thermal paste and now it runs at 20C idle. Great perfect fantastic. But now randomly my GPU starts to overheat. It was running at 30C idle, and then out of nowhere the fans spin up to 100% and I lose picture. I can't even see a temperature reading when this happens. I even underclocked it and set the default fan speed to 65% and still get random jumps of overheating and losing picture. I took it apart, cleaned all the dust out, got rid of the old thermal paste, added new paste and still overheats.

Could it be related to the power supply? It's a Corsair CX 600, so I theoretically shouldn't be running into using too much power. My old power supply was 600w as well. I haven't check but could it be possible the voltages are different from the power supplies? Or is my card just dying? It's an hd 6850 from december 2010.

Sooo, I know there's a monitor thread but its not as active.

Are there any 120hz edge to edge glass monitors out there? Love the aesthetic of edge to edge glass, and the wife isn't a big fan of plain bezeled monitors in our home so that would be the best of both worlds.

Anton668

refresh my memory please..

whats a good freeware(prefer no watermark) program for recording my World of Tanks replays to upload them to youtube?
does such a thing exist?

daripad

I posted in the gaming laptop thread but I decided to just go with a desktop. I'd like to build it myself, as I plan to use it for gaming and homework. It seems that is cheaper if a build one instead of getting the laptop.
The problem is that I don't understand everything in the OP, and I'd like to know where to start. Should I just copy the same settings some people have for gaming or should I build it with all the things I want?
Consider that I'm in Mexico and everything tends to be a lot more expensive than in the US.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
From several days ago:

I got a new power supply and it was indeed the main issue. Sucks but oh well.

Now I have another issue and i can't figure out what. My cpu was overheating, running 90C at idle. Applied thermal paste and now it runs at 20C idle. Great perfect fantastic. But now randomly my GPU starts to overheat. It was running at 30C idle, and then out of nowhere the fans spin up to 100% and I lose picture. I can't even see a temperature reading when this happens. I even underclocked it and set the default fan speed to 65% and still get random jumps of overheating and losing picture. I took it apart, cleaned all the dust out, got rid of the old thermal paste, added new paste and still overheats.

Could it be related to the power supply? It's a Corsair CX 600, so I theoretically shouldn't be running into using too much power. My old power supply was 600w as well. I haven't check but could it be possible the voltages are different from the power supplies? Or is my card just dying? It's an hd 6850 from december 2010.
Cx600 should be fine.
Either a bitcoin trojan or/and a faulty card.
clean it out , update your drivers, run some scans.
Sooo, I know there's a monitor thread but its not as active.

Are there any 120hz edge to edge glass monitors out there? Love the aesthetic of edge to edge glass, and the wife isn't a big fan of plain bezeled monitors in our home so that would be the best of both worlds.
I think you have to do that custom.
refresh my memory please..

whats a good freeware(prefer no watermark) program for recording my World of Tanks replays to upload them to youtube?
does such a thing exist?
open broadcasting software (OBS)

Van Owen

Banned
Anyone have problems with a asus p8p67 motherboard? Mine was working find but now the dram led is red and the PC won't post after working fine for over a year. Nothing in my system has changed since I built it so it isn't bad ram or anything. Tried the MemOk button but it still won't boot.

Ok guys, I've got a problem here.

Ordered an AS Rock Z77 the fix the problem above, and got an error 55 which according to the manual is "memory not installed". So I'm thinking fuck, maybe somehow both ram sticks died at the same time and the mobo WASN'T the problem.

Go out today and buy 8GB Corsair Vengence sticks....and got the same error 55.

So far I've swapped the gpu, mobo, and now ram. That leaves what, the psu and CPU? I guess a bent CPU pin could mess with the memory controller, but on two separate motherboards after the asus was installed and working fine for over a year?

No idea what my next step should be....

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I posted in the gaming laptop thread but I decided to just go with a desktop. I'd like to build it myself, as I plan to use it for gaming and homework. It seems that is cheaper if a build one instead of getting the laptop.
The problem is that I don't understand everything in the OP, and I'd like to know where to start. Should I just copy the same settings some people have for gaming or should I build it with all the things I want?
Consider that I'm in Mexico and everything tends to be a lot more expensive than in the US.
Fill out the sheet in the OP
Ok guys, I've got a problem here.

Ordered an AS Rock Z77 the fix the problem above, and got an error 55 which according to the manual is "memory not installed". So I'm thinking fuck, maybe somehow both ram sticks died at the same time and the mobo WASN'T the problem.

Go out today and buy 8GB Corsair Vengence sticks....and got the same error 55.

So far I've swapped the gpu, mobo, and now ram. That leaves what, the psu and CPU? I guess a bent CPU pin could mess with the memory controller, but on two separate motherboards after the asus was installed and working fine for over a year?

No idea what my next step should be....
Did you try the other 2 non-primary slots (The ones your mobo manual says to use), and try single stick?

Is your 24 / 4 / 8 pin power lose or not plugged in? Did you try booting barebones outside the case with 1 memory stick in?

And check for bent CPU pins after that.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Damn, I wanted to grab the 900D but it's out of stock everywhere :/

It's never even been in stock outside of Corsair directly, in very small quantities (less than 50). CorsairGeorge at Overclock has said we'd see em any week now at Microcenter for line two months now :(

Fill out the sheet in the OP

Did you try the other 2 non-primary slots (The ones your mobo manual says to use), and try single stick?

Is your 24 / 4 / 8 pin power lose or not plugged in? Did you try booting barebones outside the case with 1 memory stick in?

Also was the stick inserted with enough force? (hey that happens sometime)

Van Owen

Banned

And check for bent CPU pins after that.

I've tried one ram stick in multiple slots. If I put one stick in the B1 slot it won't boot at all to even give the memory error.

All power pins are in tight and all fans for the CPU, case, gpu are spinning.

Are the pins located in the actual socket now and not on the CPU? That would mean that I had bent pins on both motherboards, and that the first got bent after the CPU was installed working properly...

vilmer_

It's never even been in stock outside of Corsair directly, in very small quantities (less than 50). CorsairGeorge at Overclock has said we'd see em any week now at Microcenter for line two months now :(

Wow, looks like it'll be a while. I guess I'll just put a pre-order in somewhere.

daripad

Your Current Specs: None. First time here.
Budget: $20000 MXN (like $1600 US) - Country: Mexico
Main Use: Hardcore Gaming and General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback). Also blu-ray.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60 fps is perfect but 30 fps is also splendid. I want it to last three years if possible, so I'd like next gen games to run at 30 fps at least.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope.
When will you build?: I want to be ready before next semester, which is going to be early August.
Will you be overclocking?: I want it to last for at least three years, so maybe :p

Also I have other things to buy (OS, desk, speakers, monitor, xbox controller) but I'd likely sell some things that will help me with that, but anyways I'd like you to consider that.

You're thinking about it backwards. Overclocking will help your computer last three years :)

If it doesn't mean problems with cooling, I'm okay with that

Addnan

Main Use: Hardcore Gaming and General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback). Also blu-ray.
Monitor Resolution: 720p is enough for me. I don't have a monitor either.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60 fps is perfect but 30 fps is also splendid. I want it to last three years if possible, so I'd like next gen games to run at 30 fps at least.
When will you build?: I want to be ready before next semester, which is going to be early August.
Will you be overclocking?: I want it to last for at least three years, so maybe :p

Also I have other things to buy (OS, desk, speakers, monitor) but I'd likely sell some things that will help me with that, but anyways I'd like you to consider that.

Where can you buy parts from/How are they priced there? If they are priced like how they are in the US you can go for the top build in the OP, but just wait until Haswell launches in a few weeks and change that and the motherboard.

You can get something like this for $1100 US. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wz5o or change up the video card to a 7970 or a 680 for a little but more, but prices in different regions are different.

bro1

Banned
Monitor Resolution: 720p is enough for me. I don't have a monitor either.

Also I have other things to buy (OS, desk, speakers, monitor) but I'd likely sell some things that will help me with that, but anyways I'd like you to consider that.

For your monitor, 1080p is cheap these days. Hard to evn find a 720p.

Deku Tree

I'm thinking about building a PC or getting an Alienware x51. But I want a gaming PC in a console sized box to go under my 50 1080p Plasma TV.

daripad

Where can you buy parts from/How are they priced there? If they are priced like how they are in the US you can go for the top build in the OP, but just wait until Haswell launches in a few weeks and change that and the motherboard.

You can get something like this for $1100 US. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wz5o or change up the video card to a 7970 or a 680 for a little but more, but prices in different regions are different.

They're way more expensive here, but I don't really know where to look for. If any mexican is able to help me in that part I'll be glad.
Also is Haswell going to be a avaliable here in my country by the time it releases in the US? Is there any online web page in the US with international shipping? It may be cheaper if I get everything from the US.
And I can't find all the pieces here, it seems.
For your monitor, 1080p is cheap these days. Hard to even find a 720p.

I didn't know that, so 1080p gaming would be mandatory, I'll change that in the list!

Also, what should I buy to play blu-ray discs on that pc? I don't know anything about that. Sorry for being so ignorant but this is the first time I'm doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom