• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3z_

Using an old HDD is fine, but keep in mind how old it is. If the drive is like 5 years old or something you should understand that it can go bad. Well any HDD can go bad, but the older they are the more you are risking it. I currently have a storage drive in my rig that I have had for 3 years through 3 CPU/Mobo/Graphics/Case changes.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Awwww shit! :)

8736273927_74b795b8e8_z.jpg

I remember when I was in middle school and I scoured eBay for a computer under $500 with dreams of purchasing it and a $69 Radeon 9200 at Walmart to play Counter Strike. Never thought I'd splurge that much on a case alone. Time for potatoes for dinner for the next month ;p

That puts my current parts list at:

LD-V7
128GB M4 for boot drive
480GB OWC 6G for games
4GB GTX670 x2
Blu-Ray burner

For noise reduction a good case can work wonders, as can a good PSU. For aftermarket things it'd be the CPU cooler yeah, and replacing case fans with quieter ones.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards forgoing the upgrade in GPU you suggested and upgrading the case and adding a CPU fan instead. This will not be a gaming pc per se so keeping it quieter is a higher priority for me. Besides, I can always upgrade the GPU aspect later. Also, given that gaming on my current pc is unpossible [sic] any gaming at all will be nice! :) I've tweaked my quote and will give it an hour or two to mull it over before I make the order. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks once again for all you kind help and advice.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7140905216/hBE2763B5[img]

Get one even if its a 64gb imo, seriously[/QUOTE]

LOL What game is that GIF from? Dark/Demon Souls?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any advice if you want to use mini hdmi to output from a video card? The wire is just too heavy for that small connector and it just keeps breaking the shell of the connector off of the wiring. :/
Don't let the cord have as much slack to weigh it down. Tie up some ends with whatever you have.
What is the general consensus on purchasing used cards? I'm on the hunt for a 670 FTW and have found some much nicer prices on Ebay obviously than Newegg or other retailers.
Do it all the time.

Get a real 670 with a good cooler than the FTW unless you need it for aesthetic purposes though :p
You want to know if it is safe to purchase off Ebay? Are you looking at new/used/refurbished? I've never been scammed on Ebay and from what I have heard buyer's protection is only getting stronger. However use common sense in regards to what seller's you deal with, understand the warranty policies of the card manufacturer and how they handle change of ownership or if the card is new what information they might require from the seller to register the warranty(maybe they want an official reseller or something). It is funny that in my experience at looking at graphics cards online there seem to be a great many used high end graphics cards that say "never been overclocked", it is even funnier when those same ads say that the card was only used to bench. So you bought a $400+ graphics card to bench at stock and then sell?
eBay buyer protection is ridiculous to the point where I try to not sell anything on there and only deal on forums / CL.
It should be pretty solid for buying if you aren't on a tech forum or don't meet their B/S/T section requirements.

I'd rather a card be overclocked so I know how fast it can go.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Laughtrey/saved/1s5n

I'm gonna use my 550ti and buy a new card if/when i need it. But I was wondering how dumb it would be to buy a SSD and just use my old harddrive instead of buying a brand new one right off the bat? Does it matter?
Looks like a nice budget build. Nab an SSD and keep using your old drive it it reports good (Use Seatools to check).

kharma45

Thanks. I'm leaning towards forgoing the upgrade in GPU you suggested and upgrading the case and adding a CPU fan instead. This will not be a gaming pc per se so keeping it quieter is a higher priority for me. Besides, I can always upgrade the GPU aspect later. Also, given that gaming on my current pc is unpossible [sic] any gaming at all will be nice! :) I've tweaked my quote and will give it an hour or two to mull it over before I make the order. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks once again for all you kind help and advice.

If you're not looking for something hugely powerful for gaming (but still want good results) look at the Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost or the AMD 7850 for the GPU.

If you're not looking for something hugely powerful for gaming (but still want good results) look at the Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost or the AMD 7850 for the GPU.

Thanks, will do :). I'll stick with the default AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB initially and upgrade to one of those you mention if I really get into pc gaming and decide I need the extra oomph. Right now though, a quieter pc is more of a priority.

senahorse

I think this says it all:

Today TechPowerUp posted a word of warning and said that the BIOS supplied by the Reddit user isn’t a real GTX 770 BIOS but a “modified GTX 680 BIOS” with increased clock speeds and the .inf file modified to change the card’s descriptor string. Depending on the model of the GTX 680 you currently have this BIOS/inf “could be unstable on most”.

kharma45

Thanks, will do :). I'll stick with the default AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB initially and upgrade to one of those you mention if I really get into pc gaming and decide I need the extra oomph. Right now though, a quieter pc is more of a priority.

For the 7770 the quietness will all depend on the cooler too.

For a pre-built option take a look at the Alienware X51 too, some good deals on it floating around from time to time. Even eBay for 'refurbished' models where you can get a top end Alienware X51 with an i7 3770, 8Gb Ram 2TB Hdd and a GTX 660 for £780 (which I know is too much but it's the top end model).

For the 7770 the quietness will all depend on the cooler too.

The CPU cooler?

For a pre-built option take a look at the Alienware X51 too, some good deals on it floating around from time to time. Even eBay for 'refurbished' models where you can get a top end Alienware X51 with an i7 3770, 8Gb Ram 2TB Hdd and a GTX 660 for £780 (which I know is too much but it's the top end model).

Thanks, will do. Will have a google before I finally decide on the Dino PC deal, or not. Must stir my stumps now and get on with some real life stuff!

Having a bit of a problem here

On startup, I get an message "CPU fan error", no idea how to resolve this.

Mobo can read my hard drives but its just having a hard time booting my old hd, the only option is going to system restore but its gets stuck to continue

hallp

L.O.R.D

one of my friends got his hand on the new MSI GT 70 with Haswell processor extreme
and Geforce 780m GTX
http://translate.google.com/transla...www.adslgate.com/dsl/showthread.php?t=1555545

its an Arabic forum..so, i'll translate most of it

first thing, he got this laptop from some one from msi saudi arabia , just for testing

spec:
processor :i7 4930MX (Extreme Edition)
GPU: Geforce GTX 780M - 4GB DDR5
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600mhz
disk: 3X msata drive RIAD0 from Sandisk ( 1500 mb read speed and 860 write speed )
1x WD 750GB black
internal GPU :intel 4600HD
blue ray drive
dynaudio audio speakers

photos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXupG58-e8
windows 8 boot in less then 10 seconds

he said the laptop will released after 2 month
it will released first as with normal i7 and GTX 770M
and GTX 780M with any i7 processor you chose

Orlandu84

Super solid. It's probably not a giant deal for your friend, but waiting for Haswell launch in the first week of June will get them a newer socket and a lower power draw + a 5% faster machine.
Amazon is better than Newegg now imo. I'd buy there what you can first.

SSD is the largest upgrade one can do. He just doesn't know.
Same advice as above, but solid build.

Thanks for the heads up about Amazon. My friend delayed buying the parts to this morning so hopefully we get a good deal for him on Amazon.

one of my friends got his hand on the new MSI GT 70 with Haswell processor extreme
and Geforce 780m GTX
http://translate.google.com/transla...www.adslgate.com/dsl/showthread.php?t=1555545

its an Arabic forum..so, i'll translate most of it

first thing, he got this laptop from some one from msi saudi arabia , just for testing

spec:
processor :i7 4930MX (Extreme Edition)
GPU: Geforce GTX 780M - 4GB DDR5
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600mhz
disk: 3X msata drive RIAD0 from Sandisk ( 1500 mb read speed and 860 write speed )
1x WD 750GB black
internal GPU :intel 4600HD
blue ray drive
dynaudio audio speakers

photos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXupG58-e8
windows 8 boot in less then 10 seconds

he said the laptop will released after 2 month
it will released first as with normal i7 and GTX 770M
and GTX 780M with any i7 processor you chose
Nice specs and cool looking keyboard, but that thing looks way too bulky for what we'll able to get in 2013 with Haswell processors.

L.O.R.D

Nice specs and cool looking keyboard, but that thing looks way too bulky for what we'll able to get in 2013 with Haswell processors.

not that much, you must see origin laptops first, those things are very bulky , it has the same design of the original GT 70 from last year nothing change
they are also gonna release GX 70 and GE 40 ( a thin medium range gaming laptop with GTX 760M-750M )

Thanks once again kharma45 for being so awesome in helping me decide on my order.

In the end it's costing me just over £900! Welp! Effectively double what I originally intended to pay and over my max budget but fuckit!

I added a CPU cooler, went for a more expensive but quieter case and took your advice by going for the AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB, plus I chucked in a webcam too.

I told the sales guy who rang me back to confirm that they'd sorted out the site issue so I could place my order that even though I'm 47 years old I feel like a four year old waiting for Santa! I'm so excited now I want to jump up and down on the spot like an over excited child! :D

Given that this is the pc I've been using for the last ten years I think I'm entitled to be excited:

Windows XP
Intel Celeron CPU 2.53 GHz
759MB RAM
Intel 8245G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Feel free to laugh/wince/cry/have your head explode at those awesome specs! :D

kharma45

Not sure. Maybe $1.5K USD or less. What kind of PC can I get for that? Will it play modern games in 1080p @ 60fps (locked) on Ultra settings? Thanks!

Yes, easily. For that money you could throw together an i7, 7970, Gold rated PSU, SSD and a Fractal R4 for example.

Thanks once again kharma45 for being so awesome in helping me decide on my order.

In the end it's costing me just over £900! Welp! Effectively double what I originally intended to pay and over my max budget but fuckit!

I added a CPU cooler, went for a more expensive but quieter case and took your advice by going for the AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB, plus I chucked in a webcam too.

I told the sales guy who rang me back to confirm that they'd sorted out the site issue so I could place my order that even though I'm 47 years old I feel like a four year old waiting for Santa! I'm so excited now I want to jump up and down on the spot like an over excited child! :D

Given that this is the pc I've been using for the last ten years I think I'm entitled to be excited:

Windows XP
Intel Celeron CPU 2.53 GHz
759MB RAM
Intel 8245G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Feel free to laugh/wince/cry/have your head explode at those awesome specs! :D

Well I wasn't much help as I couldn't see much to match Dino PC lol. It's easy to spend more than you've budgeted but you've got a much better GPU than that 7770 you were originally looking at for a starter and should last a lot better.

Well I wasn't much help as I couldn't see much to match Dino PC lol. It's easy to spend more than you've budgeted but you've got a much better GPU than that 7770 you were originally looking at for a starter and should last a lot better.

Ah but you were :). You held my hand [figuratively speaking] whilst I navigated an unfamiliar alien environment!

Yes, I'm really happy with what I finally decided on, despite the expense. This should last me a good five years or more with any luck.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Whats the best program for overclocking a GPU? MSI Afterburner? I have some settings from GPU Tweak but upon rebooting it resets to stock.

iavi

I've hashed over this with other members, but I'd rather spend $80 on a 128GB SSD on sale than have an HDD of any size with no SSD.

With everything so cloud/streaming based, I've been totally fine using my test bench as my main system over the last month with a single 128GB SSD. Yeah, I've had to delete games, but meh. That speed and quickness is essential to my computing experience.

I only had a 64gb SSD in my machine when I first finished building. Didn't even miss the space at the time, the speed was such the gamechanger. Have another Samsung 840 in there now, but, like you say, having the limited amount of space was actually manageable for a bit--Have a couple games installed at a time, delete when finished, etc

Whats the best program for overclocking a GPU? MSI Afterburner? I have some settings from GPU Tweak but upon rebooting it resets to stock.

Afterburner works best for me, though you can also try PrecisionX or Trixx

----

PC GAF, any of you guys getting the Shield?

mkenyon

Banned
Depends on the card. AMD or NVIDIA?

AMD - Trixx, NVIDIA - Precision X.

*edit* yeah, what Miizy said.
I gotta agree with this. Put everything you can into the graphics card...every level you go up on the GPU side is worth it if your primary use is gaming.

SSDs rule, they are a great upgrade....but don't skimp on the graphics card to get one if money is tight.

I'd rather have a 7950/670 without an SSD than a lesser card with one.
I'm not talking about spending additional money on an SSD. You have to have storage. I'm talking about the difference between spending $50-80 on a 500GB-1TB HDD, or spending $80 on a 128GB SSD. I'll take the latter option, and I think it's a better option for most people.

brentech

I'm not talking about spending additional money on an SSD. You have to have storage. I'm talking about the difference between spending $50-80 on a 500GB-1TB HDD, or spending $80 on a 128GB SSD. I'll take the latter option, and I think it's a better option for most people.
Yerp. I've seen the light. I will never go the other way again.

It's got to be one of the best improvements someone can make. It truly is a generational change.

Artanisix

So I'm having some issues overclocking my 3570k and was wondering if someone could help me out.

I'm actually noticing my computer gets slower and more unresponsive as I up the clock. Windows even told me my computer is unresponsive and opted to turn off aero. I can't even accomplish a simple overclock to say, 4ghz without my computer freaking out and bluescreening after a while. I've only played with the voltage a teeny bit but it doesn't help at all. Motherboard problem? Powersupply problem? Or just a bad CPU?

Using a Gigabyte Z77-D3H mobo and a 550 corsair psu.

mkenyon

Banned
So I'm having some issues overclocking my 3570k and was wondering if someone could help me out.

I'm actually noticing my computer gets slower and more unresponsive as I up the clock. Windows even told me my computer is unresponsive and opted to turn off aero. I can't even accomplish a simple overclock to say, 4ghz without my computer freaking out and bluescreening after a while. I've only played with the voltage a teeny bit but it doesn't help at all. Motherboard problem? Powersupply problem? Or just a bad CPU?

Using a Gigabyte Z77-D3H mobo and a 550 corsair psu.
I'm sure it's something you are doing in BIOS. I can walk you through overclocking on that board in mumble this evening if you'd like.

Few things to check right off the bat though.

1) Make sure that load line calibration is set to high/extreme.

2) Increase ratio, not turbo.

3) Set voltage to ~1.25, and scale back as each stress test passes.

4) Turn off C1E and all the various hibernate/sleep/idle functions.

5) Try turning off Speed Stepping for the time being to see if that helps.

Artanisix

That'd be cool. Yeah, you're probably right. I'll try things out first though and see if I can't just get it running normally. Can't do it for a few hours because of work.

1. Definitely did this.
2. Definitely did this.
3. Didn't do this.
4. Didn't do this, either. Is this done through the BIOS?
5. No idea what this is so I probably didn't do this either :x

mkenyon

Banned
That'd be cool. Yeah, you're probably right. I'll try things out first though and see if I can't just get it running normally. Can't do it for a few hours because of work.

1. Definitely did this.
2. Definitely did this.
3. Didn't do this.
4. Didn't do this, either. Is this done through the BIOS?
5. No idea what this is so I probably didn't do this either :x
Before messing with the C1E/Sleep state/Hibernate/Speed Stepping stuff, up your voltage. There's two schools of thought when it comes to figuring out voltage.

A) Start small, and increase until stable.

B) Start big, and decrease until stable.

The latter allows some wiggle room in calling it 'good enough', so you can do kind of a quick and dirty overclock. Though you might be supplying a bit more volts than necessary, the only thing you are really missing out on is possibly lower temperatures.

An overclock of 4.2-4.4 should be absolutely no issue.

*edit*

Also, every time you OC, you should run Prime 95 in Small FFT for ~10 minutes. Keep CPU-Z open during this process to watch the voltage and frequency to make sure it's not underclocking itself to remain stable.

If you want to reduce temps/power consumption (we're talking about 10ish watts at full load MAYBE that you will save), then restart, reduce volts a bit and repeat. Once you get to a point where the OC becomes unstable, go back to the last known stable voltage.

Once you have a good voltage temperature point, you let it run overnight or while you are at work. 12ish hours should do the trick fine. This is a lengthy stress test to ensure that you will not be running into any issues whatsoever.

mkenyon

Banned
Yes, it will. In multithreaded applications (rendering, encoding, etc), you would see a ~10% improvement. In games, it will vary quite a bit. In stuff like UE3 games and Starcraft 2, there would be an improvement. In other games where the bottleneck is almost entirely GPU based, there would be nearly zero difference.

Ugh, need to build new desktop, Micro Center has i7-3770k for $230....or wait for Haswell. Brain hurts.

EDIT: OK, so I'm assuming that Haswell (i7-4770k) is going to cost me about $80 more (I have to pay tax at Micro Center). Any guess on how much more expensive the motherboards will be over comparable Ivy Bridge boards at launch?

For gaming, would an i5-4670k Haswell be better than the current i7-3770k?

Thraktor

Ugh, need to build new desktop, Micro Center has i7-3770k for $230....or wait for Haswell. Brain hurts.

EDIT: OK, so I'm assuming that Haswell (i7-4770k) is going to cost me about $80 more (I have to pay tax at Micro Center). Any guess on how much more expensive the motherboards will be over comparable Ivy Bridge boards at launch?

I don't think you're going to be able to get a good answer to that until we have some hard evidence to see how well Haswell overclocks.

kharma45

At this stage I would rather have the i7 but until next month it's hard to say confidently.

mkenyon

Banned

Go for it. Even if Haswell can OC to 5.9 GHz, that's not going to be very important in the long run.

$80 is a nice big chunk of change.

Motherboards will likely be almost the exact same price as current boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom