• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Does anyone have experience with the Darkrock Pro 2 cpu cooler?

Im looking for a cpu cooler for my new haswell build (air). And i find silence very important, but this cooler seems to be quiet as well as overclock-able. Its a bit pricey but that doesnt matter really. This unit gets pretty good reviews.
The only thing that makes noise on a cooler is the fan. As such, the fan can have a significant impact on performance in addition to noise.

We can't be sure yet what the overclocking potential is for Haswell, but for an inexpensive and really quiet heatsink, I suggest the CM212+ with an Arctic Cooling F12, Swiftech Helix, or Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition.

From there, my personal perference goes to the Corsair H60, Prolimatech Megahalems, Noctua NH-D14, and Corsair H100i. From least expensive to most.

I just ordered a 770. Should I cancel and wait to see what the 4gb versions are like? This is my first time building a pc and I have to wait for Haswell anyway.

4GB version is just $50 more. I would yes probably, just to future proof your PC in case games start using more than 2GB.

SLV

Hey guys, i need some advice, i think that i am choosing between Dell U2410 or Dell U2413, the price difference between them is like 60 $, but i read around the net that the newer version, has some issues with pixel distortion or what was it. So, what to get ? I am looking at an IPS panel for photo work/film (lightroom, photoshop, premiere), and some light gaming occasional Dota 2, my friend has the 27 inch model and swears on it. I just cant decide which one to get, or maybe there is even a better alternative ?

knitoe

The only thing that makes noise on a cooler is the fan. As such, the fan can have a significant impact on performance in addition to noise.

We can't be sure yet what the overclocking potential is for Haswell, but for an inexpensive and really quiet heatsink, I suggest the CM212+ with an Arctic Cooling F12, Swiftech Helix, or Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition.

From there, my personal perference goes to the Corsair H60, Prolimatech Megahalems, Noctua NH-D14, and Corsair H100i. From least expensive to most.

Noctua NH-D14 is old news. It's now beaten by Noctua NH-U12S and NH-U14S.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6916/...-12-more-coolers-the-retest-and-megaroundup/3

mkenyon

Banned
Dang.

FgbGOxi.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6916/...-12-more-coolers-the-retest-and-megaroundup/3
TY. Been out of the air cooling world for awhile, other than my megahalems. I'll make a mental note of this.
Hey guys, i need some advice, i think that i am choosing between Dell U2410 or Dell U2413, the price difference between them is like 60 $, but i read around the net that the newer version, has some issues with pixel distortion or what was it. So, what to get ? I am looking at an IPS panel for photo work/film (lightroom, photoshop, premiere), and some light gaming occasional Dota 2, my friend has the 27 inch model and swears on it. I just cant decide which one to get, or maybe there is even a better alternative ?
You want the PB238Q. It comes color calibrated from the factory, and will suffer a lot less from the trace issues endemic to IPS panels.

zakislam

Hey guys - for my PC setup, I have the following:

- 128 GB SSD x 2
- 240 GB SSD x 2
- 3 TB hard drive

When I Raid 0 the two 128 GB SSDs into one hard drive, and then go to install Windows 7, it only picks up the 240 GB SSDs when asking what drive to save it on.

When I delete the Raid and go to install, all of the hard drives are present individually.

Why does it not show the Raid 0 hard drive or the 3 TB hard drive when I create the Raid 0?

GHG

Gold Member
So I'm in the market for a new hard drive. It needs to be 2TB + as I'll use it just for Steam. Whats the recommended brand/model these days?

The good old Samsung F3's don't seem to exist anymore :( .

mkenyon

Banned
Is it really comparable to the dell Ultrasharps ? The monitor is mostly for raw photo work.
Yeah, it has a greater color reproduction as well. It's a better monitor, from everything I've read, for games and multimedia creation.

- 128 GB SSD x 2
- 240 GB SSD x 2
- 3 TB hard drive

When I Raid 0 the two 128 GB SSDs into one hard drive, and then go to install Windows 7, it only picks up the 240 GB SSDs when asking what drive to save it on.

When I delete the Raid and go to install, all of the hard drives are present individually.

Why does it not show the Raid 0 hard drive or the 3 TB hard drive when I create the Raid 0?
Because it's a bit more complicated than that. Lots of tutorials out there. Just google 'installing windows 7 on raid 0'

Addnan

Before I take the hit and order the 770. Would you guys go for the 7970Ghz over it? I've never gone red before. The extra games don't do anything for me. I have them all. They are the same price in the UK

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Do GPUs tend to have slower speeds when having more Vram? I'm looking at the 770 4GB which is less in price than my 680 2GB but it has slower speeds.

I know my 680 is probably fine for some upcoming games but looking further down the line will I struggle with 2GB and going to 4GB isn't much more. If thats the case I'll sell the 680 and wait a few weeks.

mkenyon

Banned
Do GPUs tend to have slower speeds when having more Vram? I'm looking at the 770 4GB which is less in price than my 680 2GB but it has slower speeds.

I know my 680 is probably fine for some upcoming games but looking further down the line will I struggle with 2GB and going to 4GB isn't much more. If thats the case I'll sell the 680 and wait a few weeks.
This should not be the case, unless you have an overclocked from the factory 680.

Regardless, it's a bad upgrade proposition. I'd wait for the next round if I were you, or just go 780. You need memory bandwidth in addition to just more memory, and the 770 doesn't really offer that over your 680.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
4 left of the Gigabyte 770 OC. $410 and has a black PCB now.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CU9GOAE/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Before I take the hit and order the 770. Would you guys go for the 7970Ghz over it? I've never gone red before. The extra games don't do anything for me. I have them all. They are the same price in the UK
Honestly up to you. Personally I still lean nVidia. Some of the tools out there for stuff like SuperSampling are easier. PhysX is neat, but pretty much a free bonus I don't care much for.

I'll need more benches from people who do frame latency and FCAT to really be sure.

GHG

Gold Member
This should not be the case, unless you have an overclocked from the factory 680.

Regardless, it's a bad upgrade proposition. I'd wait for the next round if I were you, or just go 780. You need memory bandwidth in addition to just more memory, and the 770 doesn't really offer that over your 680.

This x100.

If you have a 6xxx series card and you feel you have to upgrade the only upgrade you should be making is to the 780. If not you are probably buying just for the sake of it or because you like having new things. The 770 and down are technically cards that already existed and were available for purchase a few weeks ago. The question you have to ask yourself is why were you not itching to "upgrade" then?

Manp

- 128 GB SSD x 2
- 240 GB SSD x 2
- 3 TB hard drive

you need to provide the windows installer the drivers for the raid controller

:)

So I've planned out my Haswell upgrade. If you folks can take a look?

Current specs with upgrades highlighted

Asus P5B Deluxe - Wi-Fi/AP, BIOS v1238
--> upgrade: ASUS Asus Z87-based MBO (P8Z87 Deluxe or something like that)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz OCed to 3.2GHz
--> upgrade: Intel Core i5 i5-4670K or i7-4770K

Sycthe SCNJ-1000 cooler, 120mm fan attached
--> upgrade: Corsair H80i

4x2GB DDR2 RAM
--> upgrade: 8GB DDR3 1666MHz

XFX Radeon 7850 2GB Black Edition
Corsair HX520, 520W PSU
Seagate Baracuda 320GB, SATA-II
Seagate Baracuda 160GB, SATA-II
Samsung DVD-RW
Dell U2412M, 24” LED 1920x1200
Microsoft Ergo 4000 Natural Keyboard
Logitech G400
Xbox 360 Wired Controller
Antec P183
Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64

So my plan is to outfit my rig to last me as much as possible. I want to be able to play The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs and other next-gen titles at 1920x1200@60fps at highest settings as possible to maintain 60fps.

Questions:

1. Will i7 4770K be worth it over an i5-4670K? Most devs won't utilize 8 threads, but I think i7 would be more future-proof than i5. Thoughts?

2. Should I go for 1x8GB or 2x4GB? Does it matter anyway these days? In terms of dual channel?

3. How future proof is my GPU? I must say I'm very impressed with this GPU, even on my current rig (which is holding the GPU tremendously). I hope with this new rig, it will have room to breathe.

Thanks!

Addnan

4 left of the Gigabyte 770 OC. $410 and has a black PCB now.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CU9GOAE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Honestly up to you. Personally I still lean nVidia. Some of the tools out there for stuff like SuperSampling are easier. PhysX is neat, but pretty much a free bonus I don't care much for.

I'll need more benches from people who do frame latency and FCAT to really be sure.

Thanks, I guess I have some thinking to do. I have a week to make up my mind so hopefully more benchmarks are out. Currently leaning towards staying with Nvidia too, especially if you say supersampling is easier. I like doing that a lot

mkenyon

Banned
So I've planned out my Haswell upgrade. If you folks can take a look?

Current specs with upgrades highlighted

Asus P5B Deluxe - Wi-Fi/AP, BIOS v1238
--> upgrade: ASUS Asus H87-based MBO (P8Z87 Deluxe or something like that)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz OCed to 3.2GHz
--> upgrade: Intel Core i5 i5-4670K or i7-4770K

Sycthe SCNJ-1000 cooler, 120mm fan attached
--> upgrade: Corsair H80i

4x2GB DDR2 RAM
--> upgrade: 8GB DDR3 1666MHz

XFX Radeon 7850 2GB Black Edition
Corsair HX520, 520W PSU
Seagate Baracuda 320GB, SATA-II
Seagate Baracuda 160GB, SATA-II
Samsung DVD-RW
Dell U2412M, 24” LED 1920x1200
Microsoft Ergo 4000 Natural Keyboard
Logitech G400
Xbox 360 Wired Controller
Antec P183
Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64

So my plan is to outfit my rig to last me as much as possible. I want to be able to play The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs and other next-gen titles at 1920x1200@60fps at highest settings as possible to maintain 60fps.

Questions:

1. Will i7 4770K be worth it over an i5-4670K? Most devs won't utilize 8 threads, but I think i7 would be more future-proof than i5. Thoughts?

2. Should I go for 1x8GB or 2x4GB? Does it matter anyway these days? In terms of dual channel?

3. How future proof is my GPU? I must say I'm very impressed with this GPU, even on my current rig (which is holding the GPU tremendously). I hope with this new rig, it will have room to breathe.

Thanks!
1. Maybe. I've been mulling over this concept myself for a long time now.

2. You want two, for Dual Data Rate.

3. Not very. You'll definitely breathe new life into it, but you'll certainly need to upgrade it a few years down the line.

Also, you'll want a Z87, not H87 motherboard. Wait until Haz/Myself check out a few reviews before settling. Right now, my money is on the Gigabyte D3HP or MSI GD65 Gaming for the best value motherboard.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Working on a new build.

Ordering new parts.

New CPUs and motherboards releasing in a week.

New video cards coming out.

Thus new reviews and benchmarks and discussions.

It's like Christmas on the PC forums :)

cory64

I was going to increase my memory to 8GB to hold me over for 2-3 months until a bigger upgrade but DDR2 is impractically priced so I might as well just do a Haswell upgrade in a monthish.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'd wait for the next round if I were you, or just go 780. You need memory bandwidth in addition to just more memory, and the 770 doesn't really offer that over your 680.

The 770 and down are technically cards that already existed and were available for purchase a few weeks ago. The question you have to ask yourself is why were you not itching to "upgrade" then?

Ok so if I stick with the 680 should I got SLI or just stay single? Normally I would wait but it's only due to the fact I can get one cheaper and they've become hard to find.

This is the 680 I have - https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX680DC2T2GD5/

Places are selling the Asus 680 models but not the Top model.

3. Not very. You'll definitely breathe new life into it, but you'll certainly need to upgrade it a few years down the line.
Understandable. I hope it will be good for another year or two. We'll see...

Also, you'll want a Z87, not H87 motherboard. Wait until Haz/Myself check out a few reviews before settling. Right now, my money is on the Gigabyte D3HP or MSI GD65 Gaming for the best value motherboard.
I meant Z87, it was a typo. ;)
I've been with Asus for 10+ years and I love their boards. I avoid Award BIOS and even though I appreciate Gigabyte's rock solid boards (capacitors, dual bios, build quality, ...) in my personal opinion, Asus is king.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Looking to build a new pc due to my old one being broken should I wait for something building something cheap to get by as my laptop is crapping out during development, going to read OP normally you guys offer builds so figure I'd ask first.

Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case
Budget: Price Range + Country 350ish
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, HD Streaming, 3D/Model work, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback). Light gaming but primarily developing Android apps.
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor? Already have monitors LCD can't remember the brand, used to 1366x768 on my laptop.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software?
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900) no clue on this as not sure what works from my last build
When will you build?: What time frames are doable? Are you building this weekend? Do you need it in a week or so? Can you wait a month or two? Soon
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) maybe

Frostburn

Anyone know if the MSI GTX 770 Lightning was ever up for sale on Amazon.com or has it been showing "Temporarily out of stock." all day? I placed an order earlier since I have so much Amazon credit but was just wondering since it hasn't gone up since I saw it listed on the site.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
d[-_-]b;60242577 said:
Looking to build a new pc due to my old one being broken should I wait for something building something cheap to get by as my laptop is crapping out during development, going to read OP normally you guys offer builds so figure I'd ask first.

Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case
Budget: Price Range + Country 350ish
Nab a $350 PC from Best Buy, not a lot of room to work with there
Anyone know if the MSI GTX 770 Lightning was ever up for sale on Amazon.com or has it been showing "Temporarily out of stock." all day? I placed an order earlier since I have so much Amazon credit but was just wondering since it hasn't gone up since I saw it listed on the site.
Based on the 670 launch, Amazon has 'rolling' inventory. Keep an eye on it for the next 48hrs, it'll probably pop in.

knitoe

So I'm in the market for a new hard drive. It needs to be 2TB + as I'll use it just for Steam. Whats the recommended brand/model these days?

The good old Samsung F3's don't seem to exist anymore :( .
My WD Green 2TB storage died so I put backin my old F3 1TB. They are loud compare to the recent HDDs. After 15 min, the whirling sound got annoying so I bought a Seagate 2TB drive. From reviews of the current HDDs, quality is hit and miss. Nothing is really recommended. And, since I don't RMA HDD, scared of something stealing my data, warranty timeframe does't matter much to me.
Just as videocards were starting to get comfortable at 2560x1440...

I'm gonna be spending lots of money, aren't I?

Yes. I needed SLI Titans to get 60fps max settings (minus insane AA).

Good information, but there may be a problem with the small overclock. Well wouldn't say small, but just not max. The big xbox huge heatsinks are able to take higher overclocks normally (if the cpu is capable and isn't hitting a heatwall like a non delidded ivy), while the smaller ones like the 212 or those newer noctuas may not be able to. Something about how those smaller ones are really efficient at transferring heat, but don't have the capability of taking the larger amounts of heat that say, a 5.0GHz overclock would bring on that tested cpu. Why the 212 series is such a great deal for people since most aren't really trying to push it that high so there is no reason to spend more to get something that could handle it.

Or I could just be talking out my ass and haven't looked enough into those new noctua units. Either way.

mkenyon

Banned
Good information, but there may be a problem with the small overclock. Well wouldn't say small, but just not max. The big xbox huge heatsinks are able to take higher overclocks normally (if the cpu is capable and isn't hitting a heatwall like a non delidded ivy), while the smaller ones like the 212 or those newer noctuas may not be able to. Something about how those smaller ones are really efficient at transferring heat, but don't have the capability of taking the larger amounts of heat that say, a 5.0GHz overclock would bring on that tested cpu. Why the 212 series is such a great deal for people since most aren't really trying to push it that high so there is no reason to spend more to get something that could handle it.

Or I could just be talking out my ass and haven't looked enough into those new noctua units. Either way.
Total heat created by Ivy (and Haswell) is tiny compared to Nehalem or SB-E though. With the VRM on die with Haswell, volts will be even lower. The giant heatsinks I think are a passing trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom