• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I heard about that too. Wasn't it like early last year that the 7000 series came out? A new series would be about due in December / early next year. So right after the new consoles launch though, they'll probably launch a new series of GPUs with a new 20 nm architecture?

December 2011 yeah.

It's just a rumor. I read it on anandtech forums I think. It seems plausible considering how small AMD's market cap is now. They probably cannot afford annual releases with reduced staffing. If they can beat Maxwell by 6 months, that would be huge for them. Even if it's only 50% faster than Titan....that's 50% faster than Titan. Maxwell could be nearly 2x. It would be good for us if there were constant dethroning of the high end.

If I'm checking out different case/motherboard/GPU/cooler combinations, how can I be sure the fan setup will generate good airflow (without actually seeing them put together)?

I'm worried I'll pick parts that are perfectly compatible but the airflow is all wrong.

Can you usually move that stuff around in a given setup?

First time builder here...

Is there any definitive word on when the rest of the 700 series is supposed to come out? I feel it's close enough that we should be getting some kind of official word but I can't see anything definitive anywhere other than maybe June 3 or 4.

Foxyone

December 2011 yeah.

It's just a rumor. I read it on anandtech forums I think. It seems plausible considering how small AMD's market cap is now. They probably cannot afford annual releases with reduced staffing. If they can beat Maxwell by 6 months, that would be huge for them. Even if it's only 50% faster than Titan....that's 50% faster than Titan. Maxwell could be nearly 2x. It would be good for us if there were constant dethroning of the high end.

Only 50% faster than the Titan? How big is the performance difference when going to a new architecture? o_O

Banned
I bought a Corsair TX850 in 2009 and I've never had to worry about power. I remember I got it because I bought a gtx 295 and I wanted to future proof it.

Honestly, unless you're running 2+ GPUs you are unlikely to ever need more than 500 watts. I only have a 750 watt PSU because it was cheaper than the same brand 650 watt I was considering. Turns out it wasn't modular like I wanted, but it was still a good deal.

mkenyon

Banned
Posting this here again:

GTX 690 for $750.

This includes the stock cooler, a $130 waterblock, and a $30 backplate. That's $1160 of hardware new. It's also $100 more than the recently released 780 while outperforming it by a very substantial margin.

dJTliat.png

XeFn7FZ.png

VCkSLh.jpg

Price is shipped to US48, CA extra.

$800 on OCN. GAF $50 discount cause you guys are awesome.

TheBear

Hey guys just wondering if anyone here can help me out with hooking up my PC to my home theatre. In the image below, I have outlined the layout of the room;

As you can see, the TV is at one end and the PC is at the other. I want to connect the PC to the TV and have functionality on both. I already have a 15m long HDMI cable, however given the dimensions it may be just shy of the distance required. Also I want the cable to fixed properly, installed behind the drywall not just punched through the wall or laying free on the carpet.

Firstly, are there HDMI connections that can be installed in the wall (male/female)?
Secondly, is there a concern with signal drop over such a distance?
Thirdly, is there an easier way to do this? Not sure I trust wireless HDMI devices but surely there is an easier way.

Any help would be appreciated :)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Only 50% faster than the Titan? How big is the performance difference when going to a new architecture? o_O

We live in the dark ages of PC hardware where we expect to pay 2x for 2x the performance 2 years later.

It used to be with Moore's law we'd get nearly 2x the transistors every 2 year for the same cost as the last revision. Anyway, that's what I'm hoping. There was a big jump from 6970 to 7970.

Honestly, unless you're running 2+ GPUs you are unlikely to ever need more than 500 watts. I only have a 750 watt PSU because it was cheaper than the same brand 650 watt I was considering. Turns out it wasn't modular like I wanted, but it was still a good deal.

I just bought a Corsair CX600M about 3 weeks ago and then my brother just gave me one of his Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W PSU a few days ago. I want to use the Cooler Master, but feel like it is just overkill for my system.

This is my current setup http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/5205017 and I usually run about 5 case fans ranging from 3 120mm and 2 80mm + using a water cooler for CPU.

Animator

Which one did you go with? And how are your temps?

I went with the EVGA reference model that looks like the titan, stock not superclocked. Thats the only one they had so I had no choice anyway and I didn't want to wait a couple weeks for the SC one. Haven't even checked the temps or anything yet was busy playing games. It runs damn near silent though, really enjoying the noise reduction compared to my old card.

I will probably look into overclocking it sometime this week.

went ahead and built my rig, I got a discount from my buddy at frys and I ended up only forking out about 1300
i got the
i7 3770k with a cooler master hyper 212 evo
asus p8 z77-v lx
16gb corsair vegeance
and a sapphire HD 7970

I'm still new to current PCs but how do I go about overclocking the processor and video card for better performance (i dont really need it right now but I'm sure I'll need it come battlefield 4)
edit: also how does one go about crossfiring with another 7970? (of course this would be later down the line when the price goes down a bit)

Smokey

I went with the EVGA reference model that looks like the titan, stock not superclocked. Thats the only one they had so I had no choice anyway and I didn't want to wait a couple weeks for the SC one. Haven't even checked the temps or anything yet was busy playing games. It runs damn near silent though, really enjoying the noise reduction compared to my old card.

There's no point in getting the SC version anyway. It's just OC'd for you by EVGA and is a waste of money*

* One of my Titans is a SC lol. But supply was really limited at the time

went ahead and built my rig, I got a discount from my buddy at frys and I ended up only forking out about 1300
i got the
i7 3770k with a cooler master hyper 212 evo
asus p8 z77-v lx
16gb corsair vegeance
and a sapphire HD 7970

I'm still new to current PCs but how do I go about overclocking the processor and video card for better performance (i dont really need it right now but I'm sure I'll need it come battlefield 4)
edit: also how does one go about crossfiring with another 7970? (of course this would be later down the line when the price goes down a bit)

Great machine. For overclocking the processor it involves changing two values in the BIOS. The CPU multiplier and the voltage. For example if you want a OC of 4.4ghz, you'd change the multiplier to 44. You pick a starting voltage (1.3v for example) and then you run tests with your machine. If you don't get any crashes over a period of time, then your machine is stable at that OC. If you do get crashes you go back and raise the voltage a bit. Try again. Or if you don't get crashes you can go back and lower the voltage until you find a sweet spot. Rinse repeat! Doesn't take long at all.

Same for video cards. You download some OC software (MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X) and you slide the core clock slider over by a certain amount (+50mhz for example). Run some graphic tests or do some gaming. If all is well keep moving the slider up in increments of +10 or +15. Once you get to a place your comfortable with, you can do the same for the memory.

As for CrossFire, you would buy another 7970 and place it in the adjacent PCI-E slot. You'd then connect the two cards with a CrossFire cable that should have been included with your mobo or video card. Crossfire is a hot mess right now though. AMD will be releasing a driver in June/July to help remediate some of its issues. In general dual GPU solutions are really those who play at high resolutions or are using a 120hz monitor and want to get closer to the magical 120fps mark in their games. They also come with their own set of problems with some games not supporting Xfire at launch etc.

Cool, that's what I was wondering. Have a 580 right now that's loud as hell.

can Hazaro's PC Build Sheet be considered up to date given it was last updated in feb ? and also, is it a bad idea to combine parts from <$1000 and >$1000 lists ?

can Hazaro's PC Build Sheet be considered up to date given it was last updated in feb ? and also, is it a bad idea to combine parts from <$1000 and >$1000 lists ?

Not anymore since new graphics cards are out and a new CPU + Motherboard series will be out in a few days, but usually some time will have to pass first before they can be considered in the next update. Right now if you are using it i say to hold off a bit, mainly due to the upcoming CPU/Motherboard refresh.

As for your second question: not really imo

go ahead and mix and match since its about trying to get the best bang for your buck.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That feel when you're using a 5 year old rig, have the money for a beast, but stuck waiting on the new cpus =/
It's been 'up to date' in regards to parts. The SSD/HDD pricing is off by $15. I wouldn't rec the 780, but will account for it and the 770 when it launches.

However new stuff is hitting this week, so after OC results, pricing, mobo reviews, etc. come in it'll have a big update on everything.

nbthedude

I am going to disagree pretty strongly disagree with Infinite Jest. Unless, you are going ultra high end, the OP is still extremely relevant.

Haswell processors are worth waitng on this close since they a week a way and will be around the same price of current offerings Haswell w/ slightly better performance. However, in terms of everything else, though, OP builds are great.

Here is short hand advice in your price range: buy an i5 (Ivy or Haswell) and a card in the Radeon 7900 series. You'll be in great shape.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey guys just wondering if anyone here can help me out with hooking up my PC to my home theatre. In the image below, I have outlined the layout of the room;

As you can see, the TV is at one end and the PC is at the other. I want to connect the PC to the TV and have functionality on both. I already have a 15m long HDMI cable, however given the dimensions it may be just shy of the distance required. Also I want the cable to fixed properly, installed behind the drywall not just punched through the wall or laying free on the carpet.

Firstly, are there HDMI connections that can be installed in the wall (male/female)?
Secondly, is there a concern with signal drop over such a distance?
Thirdly, is there an easier way to do this? Not sure I trust wireless HDMI devices but surely there is an easier way.

Any help would be appreciated :)

what is your ceiling like? I was in a similar situation but HDMI run from receiver to projector. My ceiling joists happened to run lengthways down my room so I put the HDMI cable up there and it was much easier than being in the wall (you'd have to cut holes at regular intervals and its a pain)

I didn't bother with a HDMI faceplate, I bought a blank faceplate with a brush covering (kind of like a draught excluder) that the HDMI cable comes out of.

Mine is only 10m but if yours is rated for 15 you should be ok. Test drive it at your desired resolution for a while before spending time installing it - you don't want to have to remove it later :)

rossonero

I'm thinking of getting more RAM. Right now I got 2x2GB in dual channel, but was wondering if I should get two 4GB sticks to replace it or should I get two 2GB sticks and add it?

News Bot

Banned
OP has Haswell CPU prices... but are there any for motherboards yet?

Just five days away. June 3rd worldwide and everything just gets thrown up on websites that day?

kharma45

I'm thinking of getting more RAM. Right now I got 2x2GB in dual channel, but was wondering if I should get two 4GB sticks to replace it or should I get two 2GB sticks and add it?

At this stage in time I'd get another 8GB (2x4GB) if you can find a good deal on it.

OP has Haswell CPU prices... but are there any for motherboards yet?

Just five days away. June 3rd worldwide and everything just gets thrown up on websites that day?

Pretty much. Budget what you would do now for Hawell, it'll be roughly the same for motherboards too.

I think I wanna do an AMD build for sure. I'm just a rebel like that.

Plus it honestly seems like the best deal if you're going cheap. The 6 core, 3.9ghz 6350 doesn't seem to be matched at $140.

But I'm actually thinking about the 8350. It's $180 on newegg right now. Still cheaper than most decent Intel alternatives.

I'll hope that the 8 cores give me some advantage as time goes on. Worst case I think it'll be "good enough".

Intel just seems so boring to me.

Then there's a decent looking motherboard for $70, also a place you can save a few bucks over Intel.

I'm getting 16Gb RAM regardless. RAM is one place I will not cheap out.

Any 770 reviews leak yet? Google isn't showing anything so I dont think so.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Plus it honestly seems like the best deal if you're going cheap. The 6 core, 3.9ghz 6350 doesn't seem to be matched at $140.

But I'm actually thinking about the 8350. It's $180 on newegg right now. Still cheaper than most decent Intel alternatives.
I'm just going to leave this very biased chart here to prove a point (still good data though) from TechReport.

t0ifY1Y.gif

and another chart:
Qb2AtPu.gif

Basically sometimes it matters a little, sometimes a lot (For gaming). If you make good use of the cores and overclock (Don't get a cheap motherboard to do this as FX draws far too much power load when OC'd) then it can fit a niche.
In general more performance per core wins. What are you building for though? What is your budget?

I just need Intel to tell me when Haswell i3's are coming already and if they can be BLCK OC'd :(

I'll hope that the 8 cores give me some advantage as time goes on. Worst case I think it'll be "good enough".

Intel just seems so boring to me.

Then there's a decent looking motherboard for $70, also a place you can save a few bucks over Intel.

I'm getting 16Gb RAM regardless. RAM is one place I will not cheap out.

Any 770 reviews leak yet? Google isn't showing anything so I dont think so.
770 is coming out today, 760 Ti is rumoured to come out 4-8 June.

Tensketch

I picked up a 660ti FTW a few months ago before I even knew the existence of the 700 series. Admittedly I am sad that I didn't wait but what I want to know is, now that we're getting the 700 series, will the 600 series go down in price? so I could at least SLi up on the cheap in a few months?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I picked up a 660ti FTW a few months ago before I even knew the existence of the 700 series. Admittedly I am sad that I didn't wait but what I want to know is, now that we're getting the 700 series, will the 600 series go down in price? so I could at least SLi up on the cheap in a few months?
A few months back we didn't have concrete dates or any idea of performance increases. Hell, we still don't know what the 770 is launching at and that's today.
GPU prices tend to shift down regularly over their life cycle so the new cards slot in at the previous new price (Thus higher than previous generation). Answer is no it won't go down in price.

*Maybe $399 for base model? Would be nice. That should line up a very aggressive 760Ti hopefully. Little excited. Now get rid of thermal throttling, boost shenanigans, and slap dual 8 pin power connectors on every card above $200 and we are talking.

Addnan

Not really, but they should be more cheaply available used.

Lethal

Neo Member
I will buy a 770 if they launch at $400.

Actually, i would probably wait for something like a Windforce 770.

Or a 4GB version? Guess Ill wait for the reviews...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom