• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I don't know now if I made the right choice of getting the 680 DirectCU II Top 2GB few months back or should have waited and used my Palit 580 3GB while waiting.

I can get another 680 DirectCU II Top 2GB right now for £350. Should I pick this up and SLI or should I wait later in the year and get a single 780? I'll be gaming at 1080 and want to maintain high FPS.

HoosTrax

I don't know now if I made the right choice of getting the 680 DirectCU II Top 2GB few months back or should have waited and used my Palit 580 3GB while waiting.

I can get another 680 DirectCU II Top 2GB right now for £350. Should I pick this up and SLI or should I wait later in the year and get a single 780? I'll be gaming at 1080 and want to maintain high FPS.
What game can't you maintain high FPS at 1080p with a GTX680?

kswiston

I have a few questions that hopefully PC GAF can help me with.

Yesterday, I started hearing beeping sounds coming from my PC (that I wasn't using at the time). I tried to turn on the TV/monitor to see what was happening, but the TV displayed no signal. I tried to turn off the power, but the power button wasn't working. Finally a flipped the master power switch on the back of the PSU and restarted the PC. It got through the windows boot up like normal and then immediately lost signal with the monitor and started beeping again. I hit the master power switch once again, opened up my case and observed the components when I turned on the power. Both the CPU and GPU fans were running (plus my case fans), but the PSU fan was dead. I immediately shut the power back down after that and have not turned the system on since.

Here are my questions:

1) From the description above, does it sound like I simply have a failing power supply, or is my MB screwed as well?

2) What is a good replacement power supply for my system? I am currently running a Phenom X2 945 + Geforce HD560, with 5 hard drives and 8GB of ram. I would like to reuse whatever I buy in my next system (the PSU that just died lasted me 5+ years), but I have zero plans on ever building an SLI rig. My next computer will likely be another mid-range rig like this one was when I built it a in 2009 (minus the video card). Being in Canada, I would prefer using Tiger Direct or NCIX, since both have physical stores in my city.

Out of curiosity, isnt the 7970 GE just a slightly overclocked 7970 right? Is there any other significant differences? Are they typically better quality chips that are able to be overclocked further than a reference 7970? I'm just asking because I'm able to overclock my 7970 just using the standard overdrive overclock available in the CCC beyond 1GHz.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
What game can't you maintain high FPS at 1080p with a GTX680?

Well most games I can play at 60-85 on the highest settings. It's more for games coming out later in the year. Do I wait until later in the year and get a single 780/790 or pickup this second 680 for cheap.

• Battlefield 4
  • CoD: Ghosts
  • SC: Blacklist
  • Arma 3
  • AC4 Black Flag
  • DayZ
  • Elder Scrolls Online
  • Watch_Dogs
  • Witcher 3
  • Thief
  • GTA 5

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Port...I think it's weird that games would be specifically made for consoles, and actually be a downgrade in visual quality on superior hardware with more potential...

Port...I think it's weird that games would be specifically made for consoles, and actually be a downgrade in visual quality on superior hardware with more potential...

Well it's not that it's a downgrade in the visual quality. The PC version of GTA IV is still the best version, with the best visual fidelity and potential framerate but it performs way worse than it should and demands more powerful hardware than any relatively straight forward console port should.

I would be crushed if GTA V is as poorly optimized as GTA IV on PC.

Salaadin

Running some ideas through my head after reading around last night and I want gafs input.

Current rig (built in 2009)

Case: Antec 900
CPU: i5-750 @ 3.4 Ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte GAP55-UD4P
GPU: GTX 660ti
RAM: 8GBs DDR3 1333
HDD: 640GB WD Black
SSD: 2x 64 GB Crucial c300

I use this for gaming and some video editing/encoding. Im actually planning on doing more video stuff with it too. Im just new at it so still in the learning stages.

My problems:
-First off, the Antec 900 is kind of a mess. It was a great case for a first time builder like myself but every single time I go in there to clean, I remember how much I hate it. Its small, crampy, and bad for wire management. I modded it a bit to fix some management issues but its still not as good as I want.

-Mobo is only SATA 2/USB 2.0. Im always transferring stuff around and would love the benefits of USB 3. Im not entirely sure if Ill see a benefit with SATA 3 but some tell me theres a difference, some tell me theres not. Its still a thought in the back of my mind.

-I got an SSD as an OS drive but then wanted to put an MMO on one so I grabbed another. This was a silly decision that only lead to more space being taken up in the case.

-HDD space is lacking. 640GB is too small and Im often rearranging things just to make room.

All of that combined has me feeling the upgrade itch.

I already have a much better case (Fractal R4) but I was holding out on doing anything with it until Haswell came out.
I also got a deal on an SSD (256GB Samsung 830) and a large storage drive (1.5TB WD Black). All of this is just sitting there until June when I can see the new mobos and Haswell stuff.
My plan was to grab a nice, capable Z87 mobo and a Haswell CPU, put it in the new case with the new HDD and the migrate over any other parts that I can. I also planned on grabbing a top of the line AMD GPU when those launch late 2013/early 2014.

But now Im unsure if Haswell is worth it. I googled around and see some places say "youll see a big difference" and others say "just OC the i5 750 and wait a year". Some places recommend Haswell-E over Haswell because of DDR4 RAM compatibility. Ive even seen some say to wait fro Broadwell-E before I change anything at all.

All of that has my mind running in a billion different directions. Can anyone else give me any input. on this? Will Haswell be worth it for me or should I just re-build my current rig in the new case and wait some more?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post.

HoosTrax

What is this supposed to be?
1369730216eMvcKlVH3d_2_12_l.jpg

Sober

What is this supposed to be?

From the review:
GPU Reactor

There is an add-on device on the back of this video card which comes installed. This little cap, which does light up, is called GPU Reactor. It provides 200% higher power capacity and eliminates power noise (ripple) by adding more circuitry onto the video card. It is removable, and the video card works just fine without it. It does stick out, so if you don't have room it can be removed. However, if you are going to do any extreme overclocking, and especially LN2, you need to use it for the best results. Since it is installed by default, we are going to leave it on and perform our testing in its default configuration.
That card also comes with 6-pin PCIE to 8-pin PCIE connectors, that's perfectly safe?

Kibokun

I've been considering getting a GTX 770 all morning...but I can't quite feel justified yet. The most graphically intense game I currently own is probably Tomb Raider. Maxed out, my i5-2500k + 7850 can handle that hovering just a hair above 30fps.

Does anyone know of any games coming down the pipe in the next couple months that could convince one to upgrade? If I'm satisfied with what I've got, and the landscape isn't changing in the next couple months, I'll wait for a price drop.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
FOR SALE

2x Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 4GB cards.

These are EVGA Superclocked Editions - each have a backplate and each have 4GB of GDDR5 VRAM. They're in perfect working condition, and they look great, too. Both come with their box. I'm upgrading because I prefer a single card solution, and so I purchased a Titan.

$325/shipped/each, or $600/shipped/pair

Thanks!

knitoe

I want a GTX 780 but I want more than 3GB VRAM. How long am I going to have to wait until the 5GB version is out? Anyone have a clue?
EVGA was told by NVidia that the 780 will only come with 3GB. If you want more, Titan is your only option.
I've been considering getting a GTX 770 all morning...but I can't quite feel justified yet. The most graphically intense game I currently own is probably Tomb Raider. Maxed out, my i5-2500k + 7850 can handle that hovering just a hair above 30fps.

Does anyone know of any games coming down the pipe in the next couple months that could convince one to upgrade? If I'm satisfied with what I've got, and the landscape isn't changing in the next couple months, I'll wait for a price drop.
You want 60fps. Afterward, then, it's not worthwhile to upgrade. In your case, you could use an upgrade.
I'm upgrading because I prefer a single card solution, and so I purchased a Titan.
You'll end up getting another for SLI, especially if you game > 1080p.

watch dogs, battlefield 4, witcher 3 (next year), potentially GTAV next year, dark souls 2...

Addnan

A straight swap from a 670 to a 770 isn't bad. Was tempted for a bit to fork out extra £250 and get a 780, but there isn't £250 worth of performance there.

Demon Ice

Banned
7 Ghz memory on the GTX 770, impressive. Less impressed they stuck with the 256 bit bus but I guess that was expected since it's a GTX 680 refresh. $399 is lower than I expected as well, that's what the GTX 670 debuted at.

Sblargh

Banned
I don't understand how PC market works, so, it is reasonable to expect the GTX 660 and/or 670 to drop in price by the end of the year?

Addnan

I don't understand how PC market works, so, it is reasonable to expect the GTX 660 and/or 670 to drop in price by the end of the year?

Not really, if you don't mind buying used there could be a few more of them available cheap since people could be upgrading. New won't change much since they pretty much begin discontinuing old products.

Lunzio

I was browsing reddit.com/r/buildapcforme/ and it seems as though there's a new wave of parts coming in within the next couple of weeks?

Some people are refraining from recommending parts because some are being retired. Is this true? How long should I wait before I buy?

Addnan

I was browsing reddit.com/r/buildapcforme/ and it seems as though there's a new wave of parts coming in within the next couple of weeks?

Some people are refraining from recommending parts because some are being retired. Is this true? How long should I wait before I buy?

New processor and motherboard next week and new Nvidia cards have just started rolling out. 770 came out today and 780 last week.

Addnan

For somebody interested in upgrading the build over time, it's worth a wait?
You should wait, its only a 1 week wait. Plus the new motherboards will have a new socket type, so the CPU after Haswell should work in it too. The current motherboards have no more new CPU upgrade routes coming.

Gregorn

As a first gaming PC, how ok is the enhanced build in the OP? I'm not looking for anything amazing, I'll be ok if it can't play Watch Dogs at 60fps, I just want something that feels like an improvement over the PS3. From what I knew about overclocking, that's probably not something I'm interested in yet either.

My old sucky pc died, and looking through sites trying to work out what the hell kind of graphics card I want on my iPhone is a frustrating experience.

jiffy38

After reading the aandtech and toms reviews of the 770 I am really unsure if that's the right card to get for my new build. Seems like 2gb may not be future proof. Was really hoping for some definitive answers on grabbing a 770 going forward.

Edit: as notes above it seems higher gb cards will be available at a small increase in price.

I am going to disagree pretty strongly disagree with Infinite Jest. Unless, you are going ultra high end, the OP is still extremely relevant.

Haswell processors are worth waitng on this close since they a week a way and will be around the same price of current offerings Haswell w/ slightly better performance. However, in terms of everything else, though, OP builds are great.

Here is short hand advice in your price range: buy an i5 (Ivy or Haswell) and a card in the Radeon 7900 series. You'll be in great shape.

Not saying it should be completely discarded but just saying that is out of date at the moment and it would be best to wait for the judgment of the new stuff to be added.

Why buy anything yet when new stuff is coming out that could potentially change the status quo?

Plus if that 1000 figure he used is a barometer of sorts for his budget I would call that high end and that should be a place to watch out for in regards to new stuff.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? That makes no sense. The 770 is getting a 4GB version right?

musicjunkie just posted above with an amazon link for a 4gb 770, so that sounds weird if true imo

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60185381&postcount=16036

nbthedude

As a first gaming PC, how ok is the enhanced build in the OP? I'm not looking for anything amazing, I'll be ok if it can't play Watch Dogs at 60fps, I just want something that feels like an improvement over the PS3. From what I knew about overclocking, that's probably not something I'm interested in yet either.

My old sucky pc died, and looking through sites trying to work out what the hell kind of graphics card I want on my iPhone is a frustrating experience.

Very solid. I would try to go with a Radeon 7950 over the default 7850, though, even cutting somewhere else if you need to. It's not necessary but will give you more headroom. Also comes with a nice bundle of games.

Addnan

It's good but I would wait until next week when the builds will all be updated since new motherboard and processors will be out.

nbthedude

Not saying it should be completely discarded but just saying that is out of date at the moment and it would be best to wait for the judgment of the new stuff to be added.

Why buy anything yet when new stuff is coming out that could potentially change the status quo?

Plus if that 1000 figure he used is a barometer of sorts for his budget I would call that high end and that should be a place to watch out for in regards of new stuff.

New stuff is always coming out. Haswell is a pretty modest jump over the Ivy Bridge. I agree that since it is only a week away, it is worth waiting to see what the motherboard prices end up being. Unless you are building a really high end build, there is nothing in the nVidia 700 series that changes anything.

There really isn't anything that makes the current stuff outdated or is a huge leap. All those recommended cards and processors are still incredibly relevant and very good. However, I agree that it's worth waiting to a week to see what Haswell motherboard pricing will be like. But all other parts in those builds are still current.

MedIC86

Does anyone have experience with the Darkrock Pro 2 cpu cooler?

Im looking for a cpu cooler for my new haswell build (air). And i find silence very important, but this cooler seems to be quiet as well as overclock-able. Its a bit pricey but that doesnt matter really. This unit gets pretty good reviews.

New stuff is always coming out. Haswell is a pretty modest jump over the Ivy Bridge. I agree that since it is only a week away, it is worth waiting to see what the motherboard prices end up being. Unless you are building a really high end build, there is nothing in the nVidia 700 series that changes anything.

There really isn't anything that makes the current stuff outdated or is a huge leap. All those recommended cards and processors are still incredibly relevant and very good. However, I agree that it's worth waiting to a week to see what Haswell motherboard pricing will be like. But all other parts in those builds are still current.

The closeness of the parts appearing is one of the reasons I suggest a wait (the other is just getting the list updated and judgment passed on these parts since its a fuck awesome list that I would recommend to anyone).

Also I think you are confusing my use of the term "out of date" which was based solely on the list itself not having this new info currently and not the parts themselves.

Sendari

Neo Member
Does anyone have experience with the Darkrock Pro 2 cpu cooler?

Im looking for a cpu cooler for my new haswell build (air). And i find silence very important, but this cooler seems to be quiet as well as overclock-able. Its a bit pricey but that doesnt matter really. This unit gets pretty good reviews.

I have no experience with this cpu cooler, but the fans seems quiet, http://www.testseek.com/labs/reviews/review-of-be-quiet-silent-wings-usc-case-fans/?p=1956 on here they announce 17dba @ 1500 rpm, you should not hear it with the case closed

Gregorn

Very solid. I would try to go with a Radeon 7950 over the default 7850, though, even cutting somewhere else if you need to. It's not necessary but will give you more headroom. Also comes with a nice bundle of games.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Bioshock is one of the games I've held back on getting so I can play it on PC.

It's good but I would wait until next week when the builds will all be updated since new motherboard and processors will be out.

Ah ok, guess this was the perfect time to start investing in a PC.

Sothpaw

I just ordered a 770. Should I cancel and wait to see what the 4gb versions are like? This is my first time building a pc and I have to wait for Haswell anyway.

knitoe

I just ordered a 770. Should I cancel and wait to see what the 4gb versions are like? This is my first time building a pc and I have to wait for Haswell anyway.

Yes. Some games are already hitting th 2GB limit. Once X1/PS4 are out, I expect most games to exceed that on the higher settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom