• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

So as someone looking to buy a gaming PC for the first time with a budget of around £800 - £900 would I be better to get something like a 660ti/670 or hold out for the 760ti/770?

Will be my first foray in to PC gaming and would be nice to be able to pick up any game without having to think can I run it?
Coming from a 360 and PS3 I look forward to seeing the other side and how games should look.

Do you want to build it? Fill out the form in the OP.

A lot will depend on what else you need to buy, but if it is just the computer you could possibly go with something like a 770 and the 4670K when it is released.

tarheel91

I wonder if the benefit of better cooling in the Asus is worth the tradeoff of this one being over clocked...

I dunno, the Gigabyte cooling setup is pretty ridiculous. I've got my 7950 overclocked to 1050MHz from 850MHz and at 100% fan I won't even crack 50C (not that I normally run the fan at 100%).

kharma45

So as someone looking to buy a gaming PC for the first time with a budget of around £800 - £900 would I be better to get something like a 660ti/670 or hold out for the 760ti/770?

Will be my first foray in to PC gaming and would be nice to be able to pick up any game without having to think can I run it?
Coming from a 360 and PS3 I look forward to seeing the other side and how games should look.

Depends on what you'll be doing with the PC. Are you solely gaming or would you be using any programs that use hardware acceleration like Sony Vegas? If you are that could open up other options like AMD. If it were me right now though and I wanted to go high end I'd look at the 770, if you're going sort of lower high end go for a 7950.

This may be a stupid question, the video cards with 2-3 fans versus 1 fan, is there benefits for getting one over the other? I have always had video cards that had 1 fan. Are the ones with 2-3 fans more likely to having one of them fail?

Addnan

This may be a stupid question, the video cards with 3 fans versus 1 fan, is there benefits for getting one over the other? I have always had video cards that had 1 fan. Are the ones with 3 fans more open to having one of them fail?

depends on which one. The new Nvidia cards have good cooling with one fan 770/780/Titan. The old ones were not that great and so the third party coolers like the one that Gigabyte, Asus and MSI made let the card run cooler and quieter.

depends on which one. The new Nvidia cards have good cooling with one fan 770/780/Titan. The old ones were not that great and so the third party coolers like the one that Gigabyte, Asus and MSI made let the card run cooler and quieter.
Ah okay. I was looking at the 770's and noticed that some have 1 fan options versus 2-3 fans. Just worried about putting such an investment in the card and then having one of those fans fail over time. Not that I ever had a fan fail on me either case-wise or on a video card. I am pretty much holding out for a EVGA 4GB version and hoping that they have 1 fan options like the 6xx series.

Addnan

Ah okay. I was looking at the 770's and noticed that some have 1 fan options versus 2-3 fans. Just worried about putting such an investment in the card and then having one of those fans fail over time. I am pretty much holding out for a EVGA 4GB version and hoping that they have 1 fan options like the 6xx series.
Not sure how the non reference one fans are. I would go with MSI, Asus or Gigabyte. I know EVGA have a one fan on their lowest 770, but its not the titan cooler, so not sure how it performs. Not much info out there yet.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100 from 2009 (i7, 8GB RAM) that recently died... well, it's most likely just the power supply. It's still pretty useful as a machine and I'm trying to keep it alive for another year or two.

Here's the thing:

I need to put in a new power supply, so I'll probably beef it up a bit also because....

It has a dedicated GTX 260 card in it, which seems ancient now. I'd like to put something in there that will run games like Skyrim at fairly decent settings (the 260 will run it at low settings with a widely variable framerate between the low teens and 30).

The question is: How far can I upgrade (looking to spend under $300)? Has there been any major shifts in hardware since the 260?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I also have a link to more comprehensive stats about this series, if that helps.
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-8100_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Addnan

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100 from 2009 (i7, 8GB RAM) that recently died... well, it's most likely just the power supply. It's still pretty useful as a machine and I'm trying to keep it alive for another year or two.

Here's the thing:

I need to put in a new power supply, so I'll probably beef it up a bit also because....

It has a dedicated GTX 260 card in it, which seems ancient now. I'd like to put something in there that will run games like Skyrim at fairly decent settings (the 260 will run it at low settings with a widely variable framerate between the low teens and 30).

The question is: How far can I upgrade (looking to spend under $300)? Has there been any major shifts in hardware since the 260?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I also have a link to more comprehensive stats about this series, if that helps.
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-8100_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf
Is that $300 including a new power supply? If not 7950.

Anyone know where I can pre-order a haswell processor and MOBO?

I'd love to be building my next rig next week. Thanks!

Doesn't look like you can. Going to have to wait till next week!

$300 for the GPU alone.

I'll take a look at the 7950.

EDIT: This system has PCI-Express 2.0 (possibly 2.1). I'm sort of ignorant about the differences in these standards, but I'm guessing you can't just install a 3.0 card in a 2.0 setup. Am I right?

Addnan

$300 for the GPU alone.

I'll take a look at the 7950.

EDIT: This system has PCI-Express 2.0 (possibly 2.1). I'm sort of ignorant about the differences in these standards, but I'm guessing you can't just install a 3.0 card in a 2.0 setup. Am I right?

You can, that won't be a problem.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'd go 670 minimum for that budget.

TBH at the moment 770 (which is similar to the 680) is the same price as a 680, probably because it is new so if you can wait a while prices might soften

roughly speaking:

670 - £300
680 - £350
770 - £350

alternative would be a 7950 (which is what I got) which are around £250

Actually I think my biggest problem is reading this thread and getting really envious about building a new PC entirely. Unfortunately I have to wait until after I graduate (in December) and find a steady job.

Thanks for the advice to keep me hobbling along with my old system while I wait.

kharma45

I'd go 670 minimum for that budget.

TBH at the moment 770 (which is similar to the 680) is the same price as a 680, probably because it is new so if you can wait a while prices might soften

roughly speaking:

670 - £300
680 - £350
770 - £350

alternative would be a 7950 (which is what I got) which are around £250

7970 slots in there too nicely, the Gigabyte WF is £310.

Smokey

Right. The types of GPUs you're talking about are those with fans that exhaust air into the case. Here's a pic of my old setup with my Lightning XE 580s:

MPfQb5r.jpg

I got terrible temps with these style of GPUs and Silverstone doesn't recommend these types be used with the case. You can see the heat pipes on the cards. They don't function properly when at a 90 degree angle. Of course I found this out afterwards.

My current setup with these types of blowers are better:

They exhaust the hot air from the GPU to the top of the case. The 3 fans at the bottom are also pushing air up and out so it's a perfect match. With the other cards air was getting dumped into the case while the 180mms fans were trying to blow it out. Not a good combo at all.

I'm looking to replace my dying AMD HD5850 with something like a HD7970 or GTX770. I have a few questions:

1. I have a Silverstone FT02 but I don't know which brand of GPU cooler will work vertically. Does anyone know which brands (i.e. Gigabyte Windforce, MSI Twin Frozr III) will work in this orientation without performance loss? Stock coolers are impossible to find :(
  2. I game on a 2560x1440 monitor and I'm fairly sure that 2GB will not be enough to last me three years. How much of a hit will I take if I have insufficient VRAM? Which would be the better card in the long run?

See my post above with pics for your question about the ft02. If the heat pipes are similar to pic 1 you might have some temp issues. Of course the gpu will still work, but it's not ideal for this case.

tarheel91

This may be a stupid question, the video cards with 2-3 fans versus 1 fan, is there benefits for getting one over the other? I have always had video cards that had 1 fan. Are the ones with 2-3 fans more likely to having one of them fail?

You can't just look at fans. It'll depend on the heat sink design and will also be largely dependent on your overall case airflow. Heat transfer is complicated stuff.

Ocho

I knew this day would come.

Exodu5, I need you to trust me on this one despite whatever you were hoping your monitor would be. Trust.

ASUS VG248QE. Lightboost hack. You will feel like you are cheating in the game. There is no better esport monitor in the world.

Also, a lot of games that only support 60hz can be easily fixed to go to 120+.

Is lightboost really that good? I have yet to try it, although my GPU is currently on its way to EVGA. I was kinda dissuaded by all the registry hax you need to do.

You can't just look at fans. It'll depend on the heat sink design and will also be largely dependent on your overall case airflow. Heat transfer is complicated stuff.
My case cooling is adequate (liquid cooled PC, 5 case fans), I am just concerned about having one of those video card fans fail or become noisy over time. It may not be the case, but I was thinking more fans = more chances of failure.

nbthedude

Radeon 7950 or 7970 wuld fit nicely in that budget. They overclock well, are capable, good price performance, and come with a pile of free games (Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3, Blood Dragon).

appaws

Banned
I'm not so optimistic. Something like Titan in performance should be available for $350 with 20 nm.

I think if you plotted price/performance over time, current GPU performance is pretty pathethic. It's like dollars have replaced # transistor bumps from Moore's law.

Are we into a time period where it is displays that are the "bottleneck?"

Does anyone know what percentage of the market, even among self-described "gamers" are using 1920x1080 monitors...? I would imagine it is huge, maybe 90%...

And also, with that settled as the TV standard for a while...all the big multiplats from the new consoles are going that way as well.

nbthedude

Is the whole Haswell USB 3.0 issue a big deal? Building my first PC soon and don't want to make any glaring mistakes. Sorry I'm really not up on tech enough to judge the impact.

What Haswell USB 3 issue?

But the anwer regardless is gonna probably be, "Are you transporting large files back and for a lot over USB?" If not, probably not. All I use USB ports for are my keyboard, mouse and a 360 controller so 3.0, 2.0, etc. doesn't even matter at all to me.

The only thing USB impacts is the speed of things you plug in via USB and for controller inputs it isnt going to matter. If you regularly carry a 64GB flashdrive with you and like to move huge files around, it might.

nbthedude

Actually I think my biggest problem is reading this thread and getting really envious about building a new PC entirely. Unfortunately I have to wait until after I graduate (in December) and find a steady job.

Thanks for the advice to keep me hobbling along with my old system while I wait.

Dude, an i7 with that new. 7950 will tear shit up. You are not going to be just "hobbling along" so no need to be too envious. :)

I have an 2009 Lynfield i7 w/ a Radeon 7970 ghz and I run the vast majority of everything I play at max settings. Sometimes I turn down antialiasings or shadows or one or two to "high" rather than ultra, but that is about it.

kswiston

I asked this question earlier but got no response.

The fan on my PSU is dead, so I have to replace it.

What is a good PSU for my system: Phenom X2 945/GTX560/5 hard drives.

What sort of wattage should I be looking for?

Dude, an i7 with that new. 7950 will tear shit up. You are not going to be just "hobbling along" so no need to be too envious. :)

I have an 2009 Lynfield i7 w/ a Radeon 7970 ghz and I run the vast majority of everything I play at max settings. Sometimes I turn down antialiasings or shadows or one or two to "high" rather than ultra, but that is about it.

I hope so. I've just been used to the power supply giving me so many intermittent problems that it feels like an old clunker.

nbthedude

I hope so. I've just been used to the power supply giving me so many intermittent problems that it feels like an old clunker.

If it were me, I would get this Sapphire 7950 Boost 3GB for $279 after rebate.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXVFM3K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has 3GB of DDR5 unlike most cards in that price range and it overclocks well.

Then save up $30-$50 or so, or just use that rebate, to buy a better cooler for your CPU and maybe a few fans. Then you could overclock the CPU.

Both of these investments will put you in good shape now and will serve you well in a new system since both can be reused in a new system. As will the power supply. You aren't really throwing money away either since all this can be reused in a new box.

For example, you mentioned Skyrim. With your current Lynnfield i7 processor and this card, you will be able to max Skyrim out even with a bunch of mods. It was your old card that was the biggest bottleneck by far. You probably won't even encounter many games that will not run on "high" settings until maybe this upcoming Fall's releases.

Smash88

Banned
Is the whole Haswell USB 3.0 issue a big deal? Building my first PC soon and don't want to make any glaring mistakes. Sorry I'm really not up on tech enough to judge the impact.

What Haswell USB 3 issue?

But the anwer regardless is gonna probably be, "Are you transporting large files back and for a lot over USB?" If not, probably not. All I use USB ports for are my keyboard, mouse and a 360 controller so 3.0, 2.0, etc. doesn't even matter at all to me.

The only thing USB impacts is the speed of things you plug in via USB and for controller inputs it isnt going to matter. If you regularly carry a 64GB flashdrive with you and like to move huge files around, it might.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Haswell-S3-Sleep-Problem-PCN,21896.html

Intel fixed it. The media over-glorfied the problem - as usual. I don't think we should be worried, although there are people speculating that there still may be boards that are C1 (with the problem) out in the wild. Although I doubt that.

It's only an issue with certain thumb drives, when transferring vast amounts, could make your documents look "erased". A simple restart of the program fixes it. It's not the end of the world, just a minor annoyance - I can see how some would be annoyed by this. If you don't transfer large sized files from thumb drives, you'll be fine.

Also I never "sleep" my computer anyways. So this problem will have zero affect on those as well. If you decide to sleep your computer, just unplug the USB thumb drive or whatever.

nbthedude

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Haswell-S3-Sleep-Problem-PCN,21896.html

Intel fixed it. The media over-glorfied the problem - as usual. I don't think we should be worried, although there are people speculating that there still may be boards that are C1 (with the problem) out in the wild. Although I doubt that.

It's only an issue with certain thumb drives, when transferring vast amounts, could make your documents look "erased". A simple restart of the program fixes it. It's not the end of the world, just a minor annoyance - I can see how some would be annoyed by this. If you don't transfer large sized files from thumb drives, you'll be fine.

Also I never "sleep" my computer anyways. So this problem will have zero affect on those as well. If you decide to sleep your computer, just unplug the USB thumb drive or whatever.
Oh yeah, that is even less a big deal than I thought. Even before the fix, restarting applications is no big deal.

mkenyon

Banned
Out of curiosity, why would anyone use sleep states? I just don't get it at all. It's bad for SSDs, and turning the PC takes just as much time if you have an SSD. If not, it's like 20 seconds with a standard HDD.

Beyond that, they can cause havoc with OC'd systems, which all gaming systems *should* be.

There's just no upside to sleep.
Any word on Asus, MSI, or EVGA 780's non reference.
Can't go wrong there.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Has anyone bought from Gumtree? I've found a card but the price seems too good and I noticed the picture/description are the same on both but one is alot cheaper and one is in the South while the other is in the North.

nbthedude

Out of curiosity, why would anyone use sleep states? I just don't get it at all. It's bad for SSDs, and turning the PC takes just as much time if you have an SSD. If not, it's like 20 seconds with a standard HDD.

Beyond that, they can cause havoc with OC'd systems, which all gaming systems *should* be.

There's just no upside to sleep.

Can't go wrong there.

Hrm. I was not aware of this. I have been using sleep constantly for around 3 years with my current SSD. In fact, I will admit to leaving my system on pretty much 24-7 aside from a restart once or twice a week.

Now I have extra incentive not to do this. I already knew I should stop being lazy and turn the damn thing off and it made me feel guilt for the wasted energy. But now I have extra incentive.

Shawn6661

I asked this question earlier but got no response.

The fan on my PSU is dead, so I have to replace it.

What is a good PSU for my system: Phenom X2 945/GTX560/5 hard drives.

What sort of wattage should I be looking for?

Look for a SeaSonic one like SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W/SeaSonic M12II SS-650AM 650W

Colin.

Looks like I'm committed to the new build. I've started by buying the Patriot G2 Series 1866MHz 16GB set for just shy of £65. Anyone had experience with this RAM?

nbthedude

Quick question about Ethernet cables. I'm looking to get a long one for my room to my hub which is downstairs, looking at around 15m min for it. Now I see that cat6 is the one I want (i think?) but i'm confused by all the different types.

http://www.ebuyer.com/174926-belkin-cat6-snagless-utp-patch-cable-blue-30m-a3l980b30m-blus

This is the one i'm about to buy but I don't know if it will fit, is there different sizes to these cables?

Nope the ends on the cables are the same, Cat5 and Cat6. Either will do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom