• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

You just scared the shit out of thousands of people. Congrats. :)

Very true for AMD mobos actually. Thankfully most high end motherboards are now much higher quality and today's Intel CPUs consume a lot less less power. Many of those boards had a 4+1 power phase with no cooling while 8+2 with cooling is common in Z77 boards and even my Z77 ITX board is cooled 6+2. I don't really know what that means either other than higher numbers being better :p

Kibokun

EVGA was told by NVidia that the 780 will only come with 3GB. If you want more, Titan is your only option.

You want 60fps. Afterward, then, it's not worthwhile to upgrade. In your case, you could use an upgrade.

You'll end up getting another for SLI, especially if you game > 1080p.

watch dogs, battlefield 4, witcher 3 (next year), potentially GTAV next year, dark souls 2...

hrm, those are still pretty far off, but definitely things to be excited about.

I think I'll just wait a bit and pull the trigger the week before a new hell-beast of a game comes out!

mkenyon

Banned
Very true for AMD mobos actually. Thankfully most high end motherboards are now much higher quality and today's Intel CPUs consume a lot less less power. Many of those boards had a 4+1 power phase with no cooling while 8+2 with cooling is common in Z77 boards and even my Z77 ITX board is cooled 6+2. I don't really know what that means either other than higher numbers being better :p
MSI says, "So you want 8 phase huh? HOW ABOUT 32!?"

Z87-XPower.jpg

To be clear, I'm fairly confident that GD65 Gaming is going to be a good pick, I just really like to read up on motherboards because it seems like every generation brings up surprises.

Addnan

It actually did have some kind of iffy reviews, but I mean their Z77 range outside of the recent Gaming refresh.

To name a few, complicated OC'ing process for those that use offset, huge vdroop, arbitrary ratio maxes, iffy BIOS releases, and even capacitors that burst into flames.

What. You have me scared. I have Z77 GD65, non gaming.

nbthedude

To be clear, I'm fairly confident that GD65 Gaming is going to be a good pick, I just really like to read up on motherboards because it seems like every generation brings up surprises.

I wish people would quit posting pictures of that motherboard and links to videos about it.

I'm totally fine with my trusty Lynfield motherboard and processor, I tell you. You don't need to put some sexy coal black sleek motherfucker in front of me to tempt me.

I am resolved.

... So stop tempting me.

That was never a problem :p I'm only getting this because I managed to get a full refund on my 670 and get this as a straight swap in terms of price! But either way still excited, even only for a little boost in performance! No Steam sale this year for me, I have a 400 game backlog to get through .

edit: Anyway, went for Gigabyte OC edition, since I have good experience with that.

Yeah, I have till 6/16 to send my 660 Ti back to Amazon so I'll probably do that this weekend. If I can get that 770 for $100 more, might as well.

kennah

I wish people would quit posting pictures of that motherboard and links to videos about it.

I'm totally fine with my trusty Lynfield motherboard and processor, I tell you. You don't need to put some sexy coal black sleek motherfucker in front of me to tempt me.

I am resolved.

... So stop tempting me.

Do it. You need it.

nbthedude

Do it. You need it.

Screw you bunch of enablers. I'm going to go play some Max Payne 3.

I may end up picking up a Haswell process and board later this summer when I visit my parents who live close to a Microcenter. By then they hopefully might have some nice motherboard processor deal combos.

Ty4on

So insane how quickly that has changed. I read further in the post and it was stated that if you wanted a 125W CPU minimum 4+1 and 8+2 if you could afford and go for regular ATX boards because mATX had less. Now 8+2 is low end and almost normal on ITX :p

It's still a problem for AMD boards though. All their low end boards can overclock and for some odd reason mATX boards have to have an integrated GPU (FX CPUs don't) so they use an 800 series or older chipset and even cooled VRM and eight pin power is rare. Think most AMD mATX boards will throttle or blow up with an FX 8XXX under load.

tarheel91

Memory bandwidth is just as important as the amount when you are talking about super high resolutions. I'm not saying the 670/760 or the 680/770 (they are the same cards p'much) are going to do poorly, I'm just not convinced that either is a good bet for 'next gen' yet because of that limitation.

In a lot of tests, the 4GB variants have been shown to not make a big difference, or zero difference at all.

They are really great cards right now though.

This is why I don't understand the hysterics about the PS4's memory. Yeah, it's got 8GB of GDDR5, and a lot of that can go to the GPU. However, it's kind of overkill given the bandwidth we're looking at, not to mention the muscle of what's essentially a customized 7850. Seems to me it's more that they wanted more than 4GB and 8GB was the smallest step up. After leaving 1GB for the OS, I could definitely see 3GB not being enough for all the things the PS4 wants to do with the CPU and GPU, but 7GB seems like overkill.

SpyGuy239

Nobody knows that it is going to make a huge difference. 2GB of vRAM DDR5 + 8GB DDR3 is not crippled by any means. People are just guessing w/o any real evidence that it might make a difference in the future.

Worse comes to worse, when you play this Fall's new releases, you might not want to leave 20 Google Chrome windows open while you game. That's about the extent of it as far as I see.

I agree that 2GB of vRAM DDR5 + 8GB DDR3 is currently way more than sufficient to run games at their best at 1080p minimum

Memory bandwidth is just as important as the amount when you are talking about super high resolutions. I'm not saying the 670/760 or the 680/770 (they are the same cards p'much) are going to do poorly, I'm just not convinced that either is a good bet for 'next gen' yet because of that limitation.

In a lot of tests, the 4GB variants have been shown to not make a big difference, or zero difference at all.

They are really great cards right now though.

A PC idling is not a lot of heat. We're talking 50-120W of heat.

This is also true that 4GB variants haven't shown much difference.

My opinion comes partly from reading the 770 review from anandtech:

"Our advice then for prospective buyers is to first look at benchmarks for the games they intend to play....Otherwise for gamers facing a wide selection of games or looking at future games where their performance is unknown, then the GTX 770 and 7970GE are in fact tied, and from a performance perspective you couldn’t go wrong with either one."

"Having 2GB of RAM doesn’t impose any real problems today, but I’m left to wonder for how much longer that’s going to be true. The wildcard in all of this will be the next-generation consoles, each of which packs 8GB of RAM, which is quite a lot of RAM for video operations even after everything else is accounted for. With most PC games being ports of console games, there’s a decent risk of 2GB cards being undersized when used with high resolutions and the highest quality art assets.....The solution for better or worse is doubling the GTX 770 to 4GB. GTX 770 is capable of housing 4GB, and NVIDIA’s partners will be selling 4GB cards in the near future, so 4GB cards will at least be an option.....4GB would certainly make the GTX 770 future-proof in that respect, and I suspect it’s a good idea for anyone on a long upgrade cycle, but as always this is a bit of a gamble."

And I agree with anadtech and also suggest going with the 4GB if you can because a few years ago I got myself an MSI 560Ti Hawk. Yes I picked the super OC'ed edition over the no/less OC'ed 2GB version and that was my mistake. When it comes to running BF3 on Ultra or Crysis 3 on Ultra in 1080p, there are no major issues, but occasionally there can be alot of stuttering, and I understand this is due to my 1GB ram limit. Meaning I have to compromise and turn down shadows, AA etc. I can't remember exactly but I read somewhere that BF3 on Ultra at 1080p should at least have more than 1GB available on the graphics card.

But if you picked up the 770 at 2GB, that's a great buy!! Definitely a good, buy I wish I could buy that in fact if I had the $ (also the stock cooler looks damn sweet). Right now and probably for the next 6 months at least it's gonna be way more than sufficient to run all the ports and PC games at 1080p at least at Ultra settings I'm quite sure.

I was just suggesting that if you were going to buy a 770 right now, might as well go for the 4GB version if you can. Seems like the best route to pick for future games/ports (even though we know future proofing your PC is just about the most useless thing one can do :p)

Good luck!

Katyusha

So I was just browsing through this week's Fry's ad and I saw that they charge "only" $90 for build assembly. What a ripoff.

And they even put a cheesy speech bubble that says WOW! Wow indeed.

Sothpaw

Ok guys here is the first draft of my first ever PC build. I'm a first timer, so I would appreciate any red flags/compatability issues you guys see. The purpose of this PC is purely gaming. I would like to be able to run PS4/XBONE games at 60fps/1080p for the first year or two after they are out.

Mobo: Something Haswell compatible - to be ordered when available

CPU: 4770K - to be ordered when available

GFX: Gigabyte 4GB 770

HD: WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB

Optical: Asus DRW-24B1ST

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz 1.5V (PC3 PC3 12800)

Power: Corsair Professional Series AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 Plus

Case: NZXT Switch 810 White Full Tower

Am I missing anything besides the SSD? Is that heatsink going to be compatible/good enough for the Haswell (assuming I don't plan on overclocking like crazy)?

Edit: Oh and should I buy some more fans or should the stock in the case be ok?
Thanks for all the help.

Addnan

Ok guys here is the first draft of my first ever PC build. I'm a first timer, so I would appreciate any red flags/compatability issues you guys see. The purpose of this PC is purely gaming. I would like to be able to run PS4/XBONE games at 60fps/1080p for the first year or two after they are out.

Am I missing anything besides the SSD? Is that heatsink going to be compatible/good enough for the Haswell (assuming I don't plan on overclocking like crazy)?

Thanks for all the help.

Looks good, but overkill power supply, something decent 550W will be more than enough.

Thanks for all the help.
I doubt that GPU would get you 60FPS in all games. You'd probably need to upgrade again next year to the 800 series if 60FPS in all console ports is really important to you.

Addnan

I doubt that GPU would get you 60FPS in all games.

That would depend on settings and stuff. Games like Crysis 3 all settings on Ultra with max AA will never run 60. Will struggle for 30, but thats made for people with multiple cards. As longs as you are not expecting to run graphics intense games at max, 60fps should be fine, for now at least.

BizzyBum

Back when I was living at home and had more disposable income I bought a 1200w PSU. It was like $350... lmao

Should be covered on that for a good 10 more years.

LordAlu

Haswell embargo breaks at 3PM UK time tomorrow

According to PcPro.

Strange since Intel's countdown ends on the 3rd of June. I'm guessing reviews land tomorrow and the parts launch on the 3rd or 4th.
Parts will launch on the 3rd since that's a Monday, first working day of the week, and most retailers will be closed on a Sunday. I suppose they could potentially launch on the 2nd online at least since they wouldn't ship till a Monday anyway!

Sothpaw

Looks good, but overkill power supply, something decent 550W will be more than enough.

With the power supply I'm looking to the future a bit. I will probably get the 9 series nvidia card in a few years. Will the overkill power supply hurt my current build in any way?

SpyGuy239

Thanks for all the help.

Looks great, something I would definitely buy myself. Also, nothing Addnan and Horse Armour didn't already say.

For heatsink, yes that 212 is fine. I also recommend Xigmatek from experience, specifically the 1283 series (Dark Knight etc. etc.). I've used it with my LGA 775 (E6600 OC'ed to 3.6Ghz permanently for 6 years and still going strong) and also with my LGA 1156 (not OC'ed), great temperatures all the way. I don't know much about those all in one water-cooling kits like the Corsair H60 etc. series they seem cool and I would love to afford one, but price wise it seems like these normal heat sinks like your 212 for example will perform almost just as efficiently with maybe jsut a few additional degrees when on load or overclocking. I think you're better of spending your hard earned$ on SSDs, GFXs or CPUs =D IMVHO of couorse.

Also with regards to motherboard and CPU, think carefully if you want to SLI/Crossfire in the future. If you do then make sure to account for that, otherwise like Addnan said, your PSU as it stands is overkill!

nbthedude

Thanks for all the help.

That will probably not be a problem at all with that system given what we know of XBone and PS4 specs. It's a very good build.

Only suggestions I would make is that the power supply, as other suggested is definitely far more than you need in terms of wattage, especially with everything going in the opposite direction. It doesn't hurt anything and it may be a good long term investment, it's just more than you need to spend if you are looking to cut somewhere.

Personally, I also would just start with 8GB of RAM and add more later if/when you decide you need it. No game right now is going to use more than that much and it's an easy thing to upgrade when/if you want more.

Those are just suggestions if you want to save a bit more cash. That is a very good build, though. You're going to have fun and be blown away with what even current games look like on it.

nbthedude

I doubt that GPU would get you 60FPS in all games. You'd probably need to upgrade again next year to the 800 series if 60FPS in all console ports is really important to you.

I'm not sure what you are basing that statement on. Just a random guess. I'm pretty sure his system is significantly more powerful than those two consoles. Maybe if he always wants to have everything turned all the way up to MAX settings for ever, but that has nothing to do with being capable of running next gen games at 1080p 60fps.

I'm not sure what you are basing that statement on. Just a random guess. I'm pretty sure his system is significantly more powerful than those two consoles. Maybe if he always wants to have everything turned all the way up to MAX settings for ever, but that has nothing to do with being capable of running next gen games at 1080p 60fps.
The difference between the 770 and the PS4 is roughly the same as the difference between the PS3/360 and an 8800GT and the 8800GT definitely can't run every console port at 60FPS with the same settings as the console version.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Started Bioshock Infinite over the weekend and I'm getting ~42fps average in the benchmark at ultra settings, with some dips down into 10 fps territory (IIRC).

Is it worth upgrading anything at this point, or do you guys think I should wait for the big GPU refresh?

Current Specs:

HTPC (gaming only), hooked up to a 1080p plasma.

i5 2500k
Asus p9z68-m
Sapphire 6950 2gb
2x4gb g.skill sniper
Silverstone gd05
Silverstone 500w psu

Samsung 840 250gb for the OS (Windows 8)
All games are on a 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Started Bioshock Infinite over the weekend and I'm getting ~42fps average in the benchmark at ultra settings, with some dips down into 10 fps territory (IIRC).

Is it worth upgrading anything at this point, or do you guys think I should wait for the big GPU refresh?

Current Specs:

HTPC (gaming only), hooked up to a 1080p plasma.

i5 2500k
Asus p9z68-m
Sapphire 6950 2gb
2x4gb g.skill sniper
Silverstone gd05
Silverstone 500w psu

Samsung 840 250gb for the OS (Windows 8)
All games are on a 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Overclock your CPU and GPU if not already. Free 15% FPS boost and should help smooth out your minimum frames.

Use some custom profile, there's probably some dumb settings on Ultra (There always are) that are terribly unoptimized and contribute just about nothing.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Overclock your CPU and GPU if not already. Free 15% FPS boost and should help smooth out your minimum frames.

Use some custom profile, there's probably some dumb settings on Ultra (There always are) that are terribly unoptimized and contribute just about nothing.

Cool. I have the GPU switched to enable the extra shaders, but this system hasn't handled O/Cing very well. Maybe due to the case, or the fact that it recommends a reference cooler design for this case, and my card isn't. Not quite sure.

May pull the DVD-ROM out to help airflow. Only needed it to install windows and drivers.

Dave_6

I opened Steam last night and tried to open Big Picture Mode but got a message saying that Steam is running in Windows Compatibility mode and it may cause issues. WTH does that mean and how do I fix it/turn it off?

mkenyon

Banned
I opened Steam last night and tried to open Big Picture Mode but got a message saying that Steam is running in Windows Compatibility mode and it may cause issues. WTH does that mean and how do I fix it/turn it off?
Right click on the steam shortcut, go to properties. Go to the compatibility tab and see what's what.

Sothpaw

I need a new monitor to go along with the new rig I am building. I will never use 3D and I don't really care about going higher than 1080p.

Is there a big benefit to getting a 120hz monitor? Basically not sure if I should get:

$270 - 120hz - ASUS VG248QE

or

$250 - 60hz - ASUS VG23AH

or

$300 - 60hz - Dell U2412M (I don't wear glasses with filters/polarizers so I guess this is out?)

cory64

Transferred to a new case and
*4 pin CPU power
*24 pin main power
*PCIE power
*Front panel leads
*CPU and case fans power

are all triple checked, no loose components, PSU turned on and no response at all

Anustart

I'm going to be building a new pc in the fall and was wondering what gpu I should get to ensure ultra/60fps in games for the next year or two? 770?

Addnan

I'm going to be building a new pc in the fall and was wondering what gpu I should get to ensure ultra/60fps in games for the next year or two? 770?
Really depends on the game. Some games will need more, most games should be fine with a 770, although there is no real way to know until next gen ports start coming out.

mlewis

Neo Member
*4 pin CPU power
*24 pin main power
*PCIE power
*Front panel leads
*CPU and case fans power

are all triple checked, no loose components, PSU turned on and no response at all

Do you have any lights on the motherboard when the power is on?
Any POST beeps through the mobo speakers when you try and turn it on?

If none of that, sounds like the problem comes before the motherboard ie is the PSU, or the power cord.

mkenyon

Banned
*4 pin CPU power
*24 pin main power
*PCIE power
*Front panel leads
*CPU and case fans power

I'd start the insurance process with UPS.
I need a new monitor to go along with the new rig I am building. I will never use 3D and I don't really care about going higher than 1080p.

Is there a big benefit to getting a 120hz monitor? Basically not sure if I should get:

$270 - 120hz - ASUS VG248QE

or

$250 - 60hz - ASUS VG23AH

or

$300 - 60hz - Dell U2412M (I don't wear glasses with filters/polarizers so I guess this is out?)
120/144Hz is next gen gaming.

Top three technologies since I started playing PC's

#1 - 3D Video Cards
#2 - Broadband
#3 - 120hz/144hz LCD monitors

Lexxon

Are there any 120hz monitors on the market yet that do not use PWM dimming? My eyes are sensitive to that damn flicker. I had serious headaches and eye strain from a 27" Korean-like IPS monitor (Auria from Microcenter) that had PWM dimming, although I may have been sitting too close too. Migraines within ~30 minutes.

mkenyon

Banned
Are there any 120hz monitors on the market yet that do not use PWM dimming? My eyes are sensitive to that damn flicker. I had serious headaches and eye strain from a 27" Korean-like IPS monitor (Auria from Microcenter) that had PWM dimming, although I may have been sitting too close too. Migraines within ~30 minutes.
It might be worth giving lightboost a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom