• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedIC86

So what do y'all think can net me 100-120 FPS @ 1440P for next-gen games?

SLI 780's or not even?

Depends on the game and on the settings you want to use, if you want to say for example something like Crysis 3 (at maximum settings, including max smaa) its hard to get 100-120fps even with 2x780gtx.

Addnan

I just ordered a 770 too. Couldn't wait to find out how the cheap 7950s from Amazon turn out, need it now. Didn't bother waiting for the 4GB version, especially since I plan to jump to 20nm as soon as its out.

BizzyBum

Depends on the game and on the settings you want to use, if you want to say for example something like Crysis 3 (at maximum settings, including max smaa) its hard to get 100-120fps even with 2x780gtx.

I would want to max the game out, but I would be willing to disable AA all-together for the extra boost if need be.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Is lightboost really that good? I have yet to try it, although my GPU is currently on its way to EVGA. I was kinda dissuaded by all the registry hax you need to do.

You barely need to use the registry to do it. Find a toasty lightboost.bin file, use it with cru, and apply a single registry key after that simply fool around with the 3d stereoscopic test to make sure it's enabled. Blurbusters has a guide on doing it easily and it takes less than a few minutes.

nbthedude

Thanks for that, i'll buy that then, one thing that confused me was the different colours and the varrying prices on the different brands. Is it purely just cosmetic?

Yep, colors are totally cosmetic. As for brands, eh, I think CAT cable is cat cable. I buy what's cheap and never had a problem. :)

nbthedude

Naa, we talked about it earlier in the thread. Amazon.co.uk had cheap 7950, like half the price as normal.

Ah, gotcha. Well, enjoy your card. You'll have it ready in time for the Steam Summer sale.

Which is an awesome time to have a new PC and/or new PC parts. :)

mkenyon

Banned
So what do y'all think can net me 100-120 FPS @ 1440P for next-gen games?

SLI 780's or not even?
People will be very tempted to give it their best to answer this, speculation is fun, so is being helpful.

The real answer though is that there is no way we can definitively answer this until next gen games are out, and benches are ran on said games. Until then, it's totally a crapshoot.

The only way to ensure being future proof is to not blow your load on a huge budget now. It might work out, but it also might leave you feeling burned in two years or so. The latter situation is more likely too. By keeping a budget open for possible upgrades here and there, you make sure that your system can keep up to par.

Addnan

Ah, gotcha. Well, enjoy your card. You'll have it ready in time for the Steam Summer sale.

Which is an awesome time to have a new PC. :)
That was never a problem :p I'm only getting this because I managed to get a full refund on my 670 and get this as a straight swap in terms of price! But either way still excited, even only for a little boost in performance! No Steam sale this year for me, I have a 400 game backlog to get through .

edit: Anyway, went for Gigabyte OC edition, since I have good experience with that.

nbthedude

People will be very tempted to give it their best to answer this, speculation is fun, so is being helpful.

The real answer though is that there is no way we can definitively answer this until next gen games are out, and benches are ran on said games. Until then, it's totally a crapshoot.

The only way to ensure being future proof is to not blow your load on a huge budget now. It might work out, but it also might leave you feeling burned in two years or so. The latter situation is more likely too. By keeping a budget open for possible upgrades here and there, you make sure that your system can keep up to par.

Great advice. It's also why I recommended the 7950 to my friend two months ago who said he had money for more and wanted a system that could handle what the new Xbox and PS4 could handle. I told him he could always save that extra cash for an upgrade later and that the 7950 will certainly run everything great for now and will likely continue to perform well with the 3GB RAM and overclocks that put it in a good position. Plus he was going to drop $60 on Bioshock Infinite on his 360 anyway and he got it for free instead.

I kind of worry about people who are building PC's for the first time throwing down $500+ cards only to be pissed in a year because they can't "max out" everything. If you are buying on the top end, people should know you are buying way above the price/performance value threshold. If you are budget conscious, it's better to buy the sweet spot, which seems to be around $300 right now. You can always decide later to spend more or just lower some settings. Win/win.

demonkaze

On another note, my Gaming PC is coming with a wireless usb adapter, i'm assuming it will be better for me to connect via ethernet though?

nbthedude

On another note, my Gaming PC is coming with a wireless usb adapter, i'm assuming it will be better for me to connect via ethernet though?

Definitely. Though it will only obviously make a huge difference for online gaming. For downloading, basic chat, internet surfing, etc, you can easily use your wireless just fine. But if you are playing games online, you want a wired connection if possible.

nbthedude

Thanks. I'm really nervous about it.

Nervous about building it yourself?

Don't be too nervous about that. There are great step by step videos and you have this forum to help you out.

As long as you have another device with internet access (which you obviously do since you are typing here), you are good to go.

It was back in the dark ages before wifi, google, and youtube that it building a PC or upgrading/working on it was scary. Then when you didn't have a working PC, you were in the fucking dark stone ages without internet and nobody to help you unless you had a friend that could come over.

Now days information and tutorials can be pulled out of the ether into the palm of your hand. It's a huge game changer.

I highly recommend this Tech Report Guide. My buddy who built his first system earlier this year and knew nothing about PCs used it and was done in an hour. It has a complete step by step video walkthrough of everything you need to know:

http://techreport.com/review/23624/how-to-build-a-pc-the-tech-report-guide

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Nervous about building it yourself?

Don't be too nervous about that. There are great step by step videos and you have this forum to help you out.

As long as you have another device with internet access (which you obviously do since you are typing here), you are good to go.

It was back in the dark ages before wifi, google, and youtube that it building a PC or upgrading/working on it was scary. Then when you didn't have a working PC, you were in the fucking dark stone ages without internet and nobody to help you unless you had a friend that could come over.

Now days information and tutorials can be pulled out of the ether into the palm of your hand. It's a huge game changer.

I highly recommend this Tech Report Guide. My buddy who built his first system earlier this year and knew nothing about PCs used it and was done in an hour. It has a complete step by step video walkthrough of everything you need to know:

http://techreport.com/review/23624/how-to-build-a-pc-the-tech-report-guide
I'm definitely nervous about that, but more about getting good performance. I haven't owned a console in years because I have been waiting to have a computer to be my main gaming source.

Animator

Welp, just ordered the 770 on Newegg.

I'm so nervous. I hope I am satisfied with the performance.

I am not sure what you guys are worrying about. People have some seriously unrealistic expectations from next gen consoles, I am shaking my head at the "will SLI gtx 780's be able to max out next gen games" posts.

Go play metro last light all maxed out with physx on a decent system. I seriously doubt we will have that kind of quality with next gen consoles running silky smooth in 1080p.

imotep

Neo Member
Hey guys, couple questions here. Firstly I'm thinking of upgrading my mobo and 2500k to a 4770k when they come out. Is this a worthwhile upgrade, I do a lot of gaming and some video encoding.

Second question is regarding heatsinks, I have always went with a fan style in the past but this time I was thinking of going with something like http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77648&vpn=CW-9060009-WW&manufacture=Others I was looking for a quieter option while still getting the same results, would this do.

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work.

kennah

Hey guys, couple questions here. Firstly I'm thinking of upgrading my mobo and 2500k to a 4770k when they come out. Is this a worthwhile upgrade, I do a lot of gaming and some video encoding.

Second question is regarding heatsinks, I have always went with a fan style in the past but this time I was thinking of going with something like http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77648&vpn=CW-9060009-WW&manufacture=Others I was looking for a quieter option while still getting the same results, would this do.

Ehn, hard to say how much of an upgrade you'd get out of that. What program do you use for encoding and what GPU do you currently have? Also what fan style cooler do you have? If it is a coolermaster hyper 212 you're not going to find the h100 all that much quieter - depending on how far you push your overclock and which exact fans you have on it.

Addnan

I wouldn't upgrade that just yet. Get a decent cooler for your 2500K and overclock it.

nbthedude

I am not sure what you guys are worrying about. People have some seriously unrealistic expectations from next gen consoles, I am shaking my head at the "will SLI gtx 780's be able to max out next gen games" posts.

Go play metro last light all maxed out with physx on a decent system. I seriously doubt we will have that kind of quality with next gen consoles running silky smooth in 1080p.

I think the problem is people take "Max Out" to mean "equal to next gen system." That is never going to be the case. "Max Out" games will continually rise. Playing your games on medium settings will probably look like next gen games. And I don't say that to slander the new PS4 and Xbox One, rather to say that the ceiling for PC games are not going to stop where these consoles do.

I feel pretty confident that someone with a current I5 or better and a solid $300 graphics card is going to be able to run most next gen games as well if not better than the new consoles. I think this because graphics cards like the 7950, we know for a fact, out perform the FLOPS performance of the cards in the new consoles by a signficant margin.

Even taking into consideration the magic genie of "optimization" and "secret sauce" voodoo, a card that does 1.84 TFLOPS, like Sony states the PS4's graphics card does, is not going to outperform a card that does 3.05 TFLOPS, like the 7950 Boost. That is just too big of a gap for "optimization" to overcome.

nbthedude

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CU9GOAO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Should I get on the waitlist for this card? Is that a good brand? The three fans look intimidating lol. Never built a PC before and want to make sure I get the right parts. The 4gb 770 seems perfect for my budget.

It's a good looking card. But if it were me, I'd also strongly consider the 7970GHZ 3GB which is fairly competitive in terms of performance and is around $50 cheaper and comes with a bunch of free games. Either would be a good card, just don't think you always gotta get the new hotness because you are paying a bit of a premium for that, especially when, as is the case here, the "new hotness" is just essentially a rebranding of last year's model with more vRAM.

Which one "wins" depends on the particular game so they are pretty damn close in performance and the 7970 can be overclocked pretty successfully to boost it's performance even more:

770_7970d6coe.jpg

Out of curiosity, why would anyone use sleep states? I just don't get it at all. It's bad for SSDs, and turning the PC takes just as much time if you have an SSD. If not, it's like 20 seconds with a standard HDD.

Beyond that, they can cause havoc with OC'd systems, which all gaming systems *should* be.

There's just no upside to sleep.

Can't go wrong there.
My upstairs gets as hot as hell especially during the summer and my PC running does not make things better. I like resuming where I left off so I put mine to sleep.

SpyGuy239

It's a good looking card. But if it were me, I'd also strongly consider the 7970GHZ 3GB which is fairly competitive in terms of performance and is around $50 cheaper and comes with a bunch of free games. Either would be a good card, just don't think you always gotta get the new hotness because you are paying a bit of a premium for that, especially when, as is the case here, the "new hotness" is just essentially a rebranding of last year's model with more vRAM.

Which one "wins" depends on the particular game so they are pretty damn close in performance and the 7970 can be overclocked pretty successfully to boost it's performance even more:

770_7970d6coe.jpg

I'm personally an nVidia fan all the way so I'll go GTX 770 anyday but the most important thing for you to note when making your choice, if you go for the 770, make sure to get one with 4Gb of ram and not the 2Gb one. Back in the day I wouldn't have given a second thought about this, but with the higher resolutions and Ultra textures with AA etc, you're gonna want that ram on hand.

nbthedude

I'm personally an nVidia fan all the way so I'll go GTX 770 anyday but the most important thing for you to note when making your choice, if you go for the 770, make sure to get one with 4Gb of ram and not the 2Gb one. Back in the day I wouldn't have given a second thought about this, but with the higher resolutions and Ultra textures with AA etc, you're gonna want that ram on hand.

I have a main machine with an AMD and a media PC hooked to the TV with an Nvidia. I like both just fine. I'm glad Nvidia is actually getting closer to competing price/performance wise, though.

But $50 difference and 3 free games is still nothing to sneeze at.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?

I got the 2gb :/

*sigh*

mkenyon

Banned
Memory bandwidth is just as important as the amount when you are talking about super high resolutions. I'm not saying the 670/760 or the 680/770 (they are the same cards p'much) are going to do poorly, I'm just not convinced that either is a good bet for 'next gen' yet because of that limitation.

In a lot of tests, the 4GB variants have been shown to not make a big difference, or zero difference at all.

They are really great cards right now though.
My upstairs gets as hot as hell especially during the summer and my PC running does not make things better. I like resuming where I left off so I put mine to sleep.
A PC idling is not a lot of heat. We're talking 50-120W of heat.

nbthedude

I got the 2gb :/

*sigh*

Nobody knows that it is going to make a huge difference. 2GB of vRAM DDR5 + 8GB DDR3 is not crippled by any means. People are just guessing w/o any real evidence that it might make a difference in the future.

Worse comes to worse, when you play this Fall's new releases, you might not want to leave 20 Google Chrome windows open while you game. That's about the extent of it as far as I see.

Sothpaw

I am starting to order parts for my first ever build. I am eying the MSI Z87-GD65 for my Haswell compatible mobo.

Is there a certain type of RAM I should get? I remember reading somewhere that I need to look at the voltages or something like that. Also I am going for 16gb, should I get 4x4gb sticks or 2x8gb sticks?

I also have a question about cooling and heatsinks. From looking at youtube vids, I need to apply thermal paste to the processor before adding the heatsink. Is this still going to be applicable to Haswell chips. Can I buy a heatsink now or will I need to wait for Haswell compatible heatsinks?

Oh yea and the issue of cases and fans. Do some full size cases come with fans or do I need to purchase sepaeately? How do I know how many fans I need and if they will fit my system?

Thanks for all the help, this thread has really got me excited about my first build and is helping me convince a friend to do the same.

mkenyon

Banned
I am starting to order parts for my first ever build. I am eying the MSI Z87-GD65 for my Haswell compatible mobo.
If you can wait a few days for some solid reviews to come out, do that. There's been some issues with MSI in the past that have prevented them from being offered as solid choices in the OP. I'm hoping that'll change this time around, but better safe than sorry. Nothing worse than a motherboard giving you fits.
Is there a certain type of RAM I should get? I remember reading somewhere that I need to look at the voltages or something like that. Also I am going for 16gb, should I get 4x4gb sticks or 2x8gb sticks?
The stuff in the OP. 2x8 would theoretically allow you to add another 2 if you ever wanted 32GB, but that's a pretty niche reason.
I also have a question about cooling and heatsinks. From looking at youtube vids, I need to apply thermal paste to the processor before adding the heatsink. Is this still going to be applicable to Haswell chips. Can I buy a heatsink now or will I need to wait for Haswell compatible heatsinks?
The stock heatsink comes with TIM applied. Some of the AIO water coolers like the Corsair H series do as well.

The pin configuration for heatsinks will remain identical for Haswell, so it's safe to buy now.
Oh yea and the issue of cases and fans. Do some full size cases come with fans or do I need to purchase sepaeately? How do I know how many fans I need and if they will fit my system?
Most cases do, but each case will have varying quality of fans that it comes with. Get a Fractal Define R4 or Arc Midi R2 if you're looking in the $100 or lower range.
Thanks for all the help, this thread has really got me excited about my first build and is helping me convince a friend to do the same.
NP.

nbthedude

The stuff in the OP. 2x8 would theoretically allow you to add another 2 if you ever wanted 32GB, but that's a pretty niche reason.

The price differences between 4GB sticks and 8GB sticks are pretty substantial. If it were me, I'd save the money. I don't buy that 32GB will become necessary/standard or even that useful before we move off from DDR3 altogether.

Then again, if it were me, I'd just buy 8GB for now with the option of adding more later since I don't see much gaming benefit to going to 16GB right now. But I always side on being frugal now with the option to upgrade later rather than going balls out.

I'm still on 6GB and haven't seen any reason to upgrade yet.

MedIC86

If you can wait a few days for some solid reviews to come out, do that. There's been some issues with MSI in the past that have prevented them from being offered as solid choices in the OP. I'm hoping that'll change this time around, but better safe than sorry. Nothing worse than a motherboard giving you fits.

Can you elaborate on these problems? im looking out for this mobo as well (its Z77 counterpart had nothing but good reviews).

mkenyon

Banned
Can you elaborate on these problems? im looking out for this mobo as well (its Z77 counterpart had nothing but good reviews).
It actually did have some kind of iffy reviews, but I mean their Z77 range outside of the recent Gaming refresh.

To name a few, complicated OC'ing process for those that use offset, huge vdroop, arbitrary ratio maxes, iffy BIOS releases, and even capacitors that burst into flames.

I'm hopeful this isn't the case, as I had a really good experience with the Z77 MPower, but there's all sorts of little things that can pop up with motherboards. Gigabyte had killer X58 motherboards, but they had a major cold boot bug with Z68, had crappy X79 boards, and then had the best Z77 boards. EVGA went from premiere maker to being a joke with 1155. Previous success doesn't necessarily indicate future performance with new chipsets.

kennah

Whatcha guys think... Should I

MiniITX another PC with 2700K or some other i7

MicroATX with a 3820.

I'm so torn. Are there any new Socket 2011 boards coming out or is what there is what we got?

EDIT: It's going to be for a work computer hackintosh, so I'm a little annoyed that Gigabyte doesn't have any MicroATX boards with that socket, so kinda leaning towards 2700k.

nbthedude

It actually did have some kind of iffy reviews, but I mean their Z77 range outside of the recent Gaming refresh.

To name a few, complicated OC'ing process for those that use offset, huge vdroop, arbitrary ratio maxes, iffy BIOS releases, and even capacitors that burst into flames.

I'm hopeful this isn't the case, as I had a really good experience with the Z77 MPower, but there's all sorts of little things that can pop up with motherboards. Gigabyte had killer X58 motherboards, but they had a major cold boot bug with Z68, had crappy X79 boards, and then had the best Z77 boards. EVGA went from premiere maker to being a joke with 1155. Previous success doesn't necessarily indicate future performance with new chipsets.

You just scared the shit out of thousands of people. Congrats. :)

x3sphere

Will this RAM suffice for Haswell? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231569

I see the G.Skill Ares are recommended in the OP, I couldn't find a 1600MHz rated 32GB pack of those though, and it seems buying 2 16GB packs would cost slightly more.

Budget isn't really an issue but I don't want to overpay either. I won't be doing any extreme overclocking on this machine, mainly just want the best performance for dollar.

I need 32GB as I intend to run VMs on this machine.

MedIC86

Will this RAM suffice for Haswell? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231569

I see the G.Skill Ares are recommended in the OP, I couldn't find a 1600MHz rated 32GB pack of those though, and it seems buying 2 16GB packs would cost slightly more.

Budget isn't really an issue but I don't want to overpay either. I won't be doing any extreme overclocking on this machine, mainly just want the best performance for dollar.

I need 32GB as I intend to run VMs on this machine.

Check out the motherboard you are buying for compatibilty (QVL). But it will work i guess.
Make sure you can still fit youre cpu cooler, i always prefer low profile ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom