• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I can't seem to get my 1TB drive to show up as an option for storage in my computer, or when running programs. It shows up here, and in the windows installation screen, but nowhere else.

S09ZLvn.png

Najaf

SSD AHCI question.

So I am supposed to run this in AHCI. In the BIOS, if I switch the port from IDE to AHCE, upon reboot I get a "no drives found" error and constant reboot cycle. If I switch it back, it works fine. Help?

Blizzard

Banned
Got the MSI Z77A-GD55 today (apparently would have had the case too, but I missed the Fedex delivery). Probably the nicest-looking motherboard I've had, and the military cert level for the parts makes me happy assuming it's not just marketing. Looks like it came with 4 SATA cables too.

Weirdly, I seen at least two complains that the motherboard died after 11 months. Remind me to post back in July of next year. :p

Addnan

Got the MSI Z77A-GD55 today (apparently would have had the case too, but I missed the Fedex delivery). Probably the nicest-looking motherboard I've had, and the military cert level for the parts makes me happy assuming it's not just marketing. Looks like it came with 4 SATA cables too.

Weirdly, I seen at least two complains that the motherboard died after 11 months. Remind me to post back in July of next year. :p
I have the GD65 version of that board, almost identical. Its been 6 months, going strong, overclocks well. No problems so far!

Flaxh

For that price a 7950 will preform a 660Ti. I run a 550W power supply with a very similar set up. You should be able to find 2x4 GB RAM for cheaper than that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($58.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.97 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($287.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $839.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-08 13:59 EDT-0400)

Those memories are CL9. Isnt it worth upgrading for the CL7 I listed for 25€ more?

A friend of mine suggested me this GPU: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1547&lid=1

Do you guys recommend any extra coolers? I'll use the computer for programming, browsing/etc, gaming and some streaming.

bro1

Banned
Hate to repeat myself but am confused. My new MSI GTX 770 card requires TWO 6+2 inputs. MY PSU has a 6 and 6+2 on each PCIE line. I can run TWO 6+2 lines or ONE line and put a 6 to 8 adapter on it which came with the GPU. Thoughts?

Hate to repeat myself but am confused. My new MSI GTX 770 card requires TWO 6+2 inputs. MY PSU has a 6 and 6+2 on each PCIE line. I can run TWO 6+2 lines or ONE line and put a 6 to 8 adapter on it which came with the GPU. Thoughts?

I'd run both lines to be safe - but then of course you have to manage two wires.

There's an adapter for converting a 6 to an 8-pin?

Addnan

Why did MSI go with 2x8 pins anyway. Seems odd. The Gigabyte one clocked at almost the same speed, very easy to get it to the same clocks as the MSI is 6+8 :/

bro1

Banned
Why did MSI go with 2x8 pins anyway. Seems odd. The Gigabyte one clocked at almost the same speed, very easy to get it to the same clocks as the MSI is 6+8 :/

I have no idea. According to the reviews, it pulls 229 so I'm not sure why it needs it.

I am now running TWO seperate 6+2 lines from Silverstone Strider Plus to the card. No adapter. I have heaven valley going on a loop and the temps max out at 70 C which is 10 degrees hotter than my GTX 670 Gigabyte windforce.

Yes, from looking at a bunch of 770 reviews they seem to come with at least one 6-pin PCIE to 8-pin PCIE adapter.

I guess I would just error on the side of the psu though. If the manufacturer wanted a single line to support 2x8pin, why wouldn't they give it dual 8pins then? But I know nothing of this, so I'm just being cautious.

tarheel91

Those memories are CL9. Isnt it worth upgrading for the CL7 I listed for 25€ more?

A friend of mine suggested me this GPU: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1547&lid=1

Do you guys recommend any extra coolers? I'll use the computer for programming, browsing/etc, gaming and some streaming.

CL7 vs. CL9 really doesn't make that much of a difference.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6

That graphics card is the same as the one I have linked for you.

If you're planning on overclocking your CPU I'd go with a Hyper 212 EVO or something similar for a cooler.

So is anyone having any issues with windows 8? Especially with old games like GTA3/Vice/San Andreas? Just decided if I want it on my new comp, see no reason to switch to it from windows 7.

pixlexic

Banned
So why does Intel insist on changing their socket standard all the time?

I was expecting my 3770 ivy bridge to last a good many years seeing as the console cpus a not close to it. but it seems I will also be stuck with the same logic board as well for that time. :/

Addnan

So is anyone having any issues with windows 8? Especially with old games like GTA3/Vice/San Andreas? Just decided if I want it on my new comp, see no reason to switch to it from windows 7.

No issues gaming, had it for a while now. Played quite a few old game, played the ones listed there too.

bro1

Banned
Just flashed my bios on my mobo and installed a new gpu on a strictly gaming system. Would you reformat? Will take about an hour

Salaadin

I think Im all set. Fixed my SSD issue, ran some tests to make sure everything was good, worked on cable management a bit. Very happy with it.
Now its time to transfer all my old stuff to the new hardware.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Hey guys,

I looked over my post history here, and I just want to apologize for all the stupid questions I asked that I should have trusted google with. I have never really been apart of a message board before now, and I have preferred asking questions this way because I feel the results are far more likely to be guaranteed. I noticed some of the rather obvious questions went unanswered, so that's probably a message that I should be more self reliant. Thanks to everyone that helped.

Hey guys,

I looked over my post history here, and I just want to apologize for all the stupid questions I asked that I should have trusted google with. I have never really been apart of a message board before now, and I have preferred asking questions this way because I feel the results are far more likely to be guaranteed. I noticed some of the rather obvious questions went unanswered, so that's probably a message that I should be more self reliant. Thanks to everyone that helped.
Never hurts to ask if you aren't completely sure. I'm sure people in this thread don't mind.

Spookie

Hey guys,

No such thing as a stupid question.

Ok so there is, but you're better off asking when it comes to PC parts they aren't fucking cheap.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Black feet installed. Fans installed on radiator. Radiators installed. PSU cover removed.

8989058979_236027f177_c.jpg

At this point, waiting on Primochill to start selling their acrylic compression rings, and I'll place an order. Also waiting on an RMA'd PSU and sleeved cables from mkenyon/Seasonic. I'm traveling this week, though, so at least I won't be getting anxious. Still not positive how I want to mount my pump/res... Though I'm really liking how things are coming together. Hope it... you know... actually works.

knitoe

Black feet installed. Fans installed on radiator. Radiators installed. PSU cover removed.

At this point, waiting on Primochill to start selling their acrylic compression rings, and I'll place an order. Also waiting on an RMA'd PSU and sleeved cables from mkenyon/Silverstone. I'm traveling this week, though, so at least I won't be getting anxious. Still not positive how I want to mount my pump/res... Though I'm really liking how things are coming together. Hope it... you know... actually works.

Where are are the dust filters?

ElFly

So I am going to build a workstation next month, and I am looking at motherboard / SSDs prices.

Is there any reason to buy a MB with SATA 3, ie, 6GB/sec, when a lot of SSDs are rated at 550MB/sec?

Or this is a byte/bit marketing thing where I have to divide by 8 or something?

kennah

So I am going to build a workstation next month, and I am looking at motherboard / SSDs prices.

Is there any reason to buy a MB with SATA 3, ie, 6GB/sec, when a lot of SSDs are rated at 550MB/sec?

Or this is a byte/bit marketing thing where I have to divide by 8 or something?
yep.

ElFly

So 6Gb/sec is something like *calculus* 750 MB/sec? probably off depending on whether they are using decimal or powers of two millions/billions.

e: anyways, that means I'd be wasting a SSD that does 550MB/sec on a sata 2 board.

Thanks.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Where are are the dust filters?

I may end up keeping them internal. I have a couple ready to go - but didn't like how they looked between the case and the red fans. I may do them on the internal side of the radiator; but kinda kills the point - yeah, keeps dust out of the system; but that rad is gonna still collect. To be honest, I've never used dust filters in the past, as I clean out the system every six months or so. Might think of something.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?

At this point, waiting on Primochill to start selling their acrylic compression rings, and I'll place an order. Also waiting on an RMA'd PSU and sleeved cables from mkenyon/Seasonic. I'm traveling this week, though, so at least I won't be getting anxious. Still not positive how I want to mount my pump/res... Though I'm really liking how things are coming together. Hope it... you know... actually works.
Beautiful. I love when the inside components are black, yellow, and red.

TheD

The Detective
So 6Gb/sec is something like *calculus* 750 MB/sec? probably off depending on whether they are using decimal or powers of two millions/billions.

e: so that means I'd be wasting a SSD that does 550MB/sec on a sata 2 mb.

Thanks.

The SATA3 8b/10b encoding overhead drops it down to 600MB/s max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom