• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

ok my fellow experts -1 (me being the -1)

here is what I am pulling the trigger on tomorrow if I get a reasonable sense of approval...

sligthly over my budget by £100 :( but I upped the cooling (would the i60 cooler do?)

and do I need a modular PSU?

drum role.... (I have a 660 GPU allready)

Computer Case Fractal Design Define R4 - Black
CPU Intel i5 4670K - (4 x 3.4 GHZ) - Haswell - (6 FREE GAMES)
CPU Heatsink Corsair Hydro Series H80i (Advanced Liquid Cooling)
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB XMS3 PC3-15000 1866MHz (2x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
Graphics Card None or Motherboard Integrated Graphics
Motherboard Asus Z87-K (Intel Z87)
Sound Card Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
Networking Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
Power Supply Corsair 600W (Modular) PSU - Low Noise
CPU Compound Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
Case Fans Fans Included With Case
Hard Drive #1 128GB SanDisk SSD SATA-III, Read 490MB/s, Write 350MB/s - Silent
Hard Drive #2 1 TB Seagate (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB
Optical Drive #1 Samsung 24x DVD/CD Re-Writer/Reader - Black - (SATA)
Operating System #1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)
Security Software FREE - Webroot AntiVirus 2013 (1 Year - 1 PC License) - FREE FOR ORDERS PLACED BEFORE 17/06/13
DVD Playback Software FREE - CyberLink PowerDVD 10
DVD/CD Burning Software FREE - Nero V12 - NEW
Free Gift FREE - 6 Port Surge Protection

It looks good, you can go down to a h60. Coolers don't seem to make too much difference to the thing. There's been reviews of people on H100 hitting very high temps.

kharma45

eguQY6m.jpg

Asus P8Z67-V Pro/GEN3
i5-2500k
8GB Corsair Vengence RAM
SoundBlaster Titanium HD
All games on 120GB Samsung 830 Pro
Dell U2410f 1920x1200 monitor

My review coming from a GTX 570

Tested Games: Battlefield 3, Diablo III, Skyrim, Bioshock: Infinite, Borderlands 2

OMG I can run EVERY game on the highest possible settings with no slowdown. The games feel SOOOO smooth, I don't think the framerate varied much before but the frame times are HUGELY improved now. Not being able to see a single jagged edge and the clarity of every texture and shadow details are amazing. I'm glad new consoles are coming out because I am too spoiled to look at them now.

Worth. every. penny.

You best have that 2500K OC'd :p

So I recently found this image comparing an AMD APU + AMD GPU to a Intel CPU + AMD GPU:

AMD-Dual-Graphics-slide.jpg

Obviously, the big limitation is that this only works with lower end cards. Considering the continuing shift towards GPUs doing most of the heavy lifting in games, does anyone see this as a viable alternative to a more traditional i5 or i7 CPU with a high end GPU, though, once APU's with a bit more graphical prowess come out? A 7970 with a powerful APU would probably destroy a 770 + i7 at a lower price to boot. I imagine especially once we see unified memory for consumer applications some really cool options could open up.

Trick is there with the APU it can hybrid Crossfire with the GPU, whereas the Intel can't. And that Crossfire set up is limited to a 6670 iirc.

Misleading graphs but not surprising as they're from AMD themselves.

So I recently found this image comparing an AMD APU + AMD GPU to a Intel CPU + AMD GPU:

Obviously, the big limitation is that this only works with lower end cards. Considering the continuing shift towards GPUs doing most of the heavy lifting in games, does anyone see this as a viable alternative to a more traditional i5 or i7 CPU with a high end GPU, though, once APU's with a bit more graphical prowess come out? A 7970 with a powerful APU would probably destroy a 770 + i7 at a lower price to boot. I imagine especially once we see unified memory for consumer applications some really cool options could open up.
So many ifs. Intel are so far ahead in single threaded CPU performance it's difficult to believe that consoles using AMD hardware will help to close the CPU gap. Also, unified memory is not happening this decade, we already know Intel is committed to DDR4 and what they go for dictates the direction of everyone else.

tarheel91

It looks good, you can go down to a h60. Coolers don't seem to make too much difference to the thing. There's been reviews of people on H100 hitting very high temps.

The only way a different cooler doesn't make a difference is if there is a heat transfer bottle neck somewhere else. I guess this is why we're seeing so much about delidding recently?

@HorseArmor: I thought Kaveri was supposed to have hUMA? In regard to the other point, CPUs seem to a bit overpowered for most gaming applications, so I wonder whether CPU performance will really be a bottleneck, especially for a mid-tier PC.

ElFly

You best have that 2500K OC'd :p

Trick is there with the APU it can hybrid Crossfire with the GPU, whereas the Intel can't. And that Crossfire set up is limited to a 6670 iirc.

Misleading graphs but not surprising as they're from AMD themselves.

Was just reading a tomhardware review about the new APUs.

Turns out an A10-6800k with 2133mhz DDR3, integrated graphics, outperforms the same apu in crossfire. Shit be crazy.

Outside fringe cases like that, APUs are prolly not worth it due to the limited discrete cards they work with.

ElFly

eguQY6m.jpg

Asus P8Z67-V Pro/GEN3
i5-2500k
8GB Corsair Vengence RAM
SoundBlaster Titanium HD

Tested Games: Battlefield 3, Diablo III, Skyrim, Bioshock: Infinite, Borderlands 2

OMG I can run EVERY game on the highest possible settings with no slowdown. The games feel SOOOO smooth, I don't think the framerate varied much before but the frame times are HUGELY improved now. Not being able to see a single jagged edge and the clarity of every texture and shadow details are amazing. I'm glad new consoles are coming out because I am too spoiled to look at them now.

Worth. every. penny.

How's the noise on that thing? I am very fond of my 660 with frozr dual fans which makes no noise at all.

Along with a gigantic power suppy that doesn't use the fans until it hits 50% of power use and I am way under it.

so my i7 920 stock won't bottle neck the 770? I am so thinking of jumping on that.

I do plan on OC'ing it but since i never have I'm a little ....scared? I do have an after market cooler, cooler master 212 something. Forgot which one specifically.

Frostburn

How's the noise on that thing? I am very fond of my 660 with frozr dual fans which makes no noise at all.

Along with a gigantic power suppy that doesn't use the fans until it hits 50% of power use and I am way under it.

Noise levels are great, I cannot hear the card at all with my headphones on now (The 570 I could here quite a bit when playing BF3 or Bioshock. I was going to get the 770 Lightning but it never went in stock on Amazon so I cancelled and opted for this. Very good cooler, temps and noise levels seem great. Very happy with the card. For reference I had a eVGA 570 with the blower style HSF, this is a HUGE improvement for eVGA.

kharma45

Looks like I'm going to have to RMA my 7850 again for the second time in just over a year since I've had it, fans have started buzzing worryingly. Sort of lost faith in it now, hope Novatech can refund me.

Thorgal

PC GAF i need some info .

My current plan is to sit this gen out and then going straight for the 880 when it comes out .

but i have been thinking lately that if my financials allows it i might go for 2 X 880 SLI .

But there are two things i am worried about .

1) Would my current pc be able to Handle that ( no bottlenecks . heat .etc...) ?

Current build:
Intel i7 3770k quad-core.
CHIEFTEC coolermaster case
PSU 550 W
16 GB RAM DDR3
HDD 2TB
Asus Gigabyte motherboard P8Z77- V
GTX660 2GB

2)Would having that much power be wortht it if you want rocksolid 60FPS or higher on max settings in Every game while playing on a single screen ?

Can you give me some pointers .GAF ?

Addnan

My current plan is to sit this gen out and then going straight for the 880 when it comes out .

but i have been thinking lately that if my financials allows it i might go for 2 X 880 SLI .

1) Would my current pc be able to Handle that ( no bottlenecks . heat .etc...) ?

Current build:
PSU 550 W
16 GB RAM DDR3
HDD 2TB
GTX660 2GB

2)Would having that much power be wortht it if you want rocksolid 60FPS or higher on max settings in Every game while playing on a single screen ?

CPU? and we don't really know anything about the 800 series of cards, but the chances of a 550W PSU running 2 880s are slim.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
How do I know which connector the the wire coming from the H60 is supposed to go to?

The 4 pin is in the cpu connector. The 3 pin coming from the actual cpu mount, I dont know.

mkenyon

Banned

Current build:
Intel i7 3770k quad-core.
PSU 550 W
16 GB RAM DDR3
HDD 2TB
GTX660 2GB

These questions are impossible to answer right now.

The 550W PSU would probably need to be replaced, but the question of 'worth it' needs to wait until the product releases. Could be more than a year out from that.

Thorgal

These questions are impossible to answer right now.

The 550W PSU would probably need to be replaced, but the question of 'worth it' needs to wait until the product releases. Could be more than a year out from that.

No worries about that as the 660 does the job just fine for now so ill manage another year with this one

ive just deceided that now that i don't have to spread the bdget across the whole pc(except a new psu as you said ) i want to be higher up on the chain for next gen.

speaking of PSU's what would you generally recomend for wattage .Assuming i am going through with this ?

or don't you dare give an answer on that yet?

We won't know until it happens.

allright ill wait till more info is available.

thank you.

kennah

No worries about that as the 660 does the job just fine for now so ill manage another year with this one

ive just deceided that now that i don't have to spread the bdget across the whole pc(except a new psu as you said ) i want to be higher up on the chain for next gen.

speaking of PSU's what would you generally recomend for wattage .Assuming i am going through with this ?

We won't know until it happens.

Ty4on

Has the same problems as regular crossfire ATM.

Even when they fix that APUs will still have a hard time getting close to discrete GPU performance with memory speeds being so much slower. Even with more channels and DDR4 they would be far behind what the current GPUs are able to. That reminded me of something, is is simply too expensive to go for quad channel memory on A85? Memory bandwidth is really holding APUs back.

I'm debating moving my hdd cage torwards the psu in my 600t. I wonder how much that would improve airflow/temps? I already took out the top cage. Bottom cage has a HDD and SSD.

mkenyon

Banned

Corsair AX760 or AX760i would likely be fine for any two top end GPUs in the next few generations, possibly lower though.

I probably shouldn't have said that, but I feel confident enough in it.

Tremas

About to bite the bullet on this build soon. Any thoughts and alternatives are welcome. I'm a bit over budget, but still within the ball park. I guess I can push it to £1800 or thereabouts, although I'll be edging dangerously into ramen all week for meals territory.

Will the PSU wattage be sufficient?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£259.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.40 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£118.99 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£109.72 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£125.99 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£59.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£540.96 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£75.59 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£93.00 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£7.99 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.00 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (£274.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1760.59
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-07 23:04 BST+0100)

How much could I sell a computer with

Intel i5 3570k
Samsung 120 GB SSD
16 GB Crucial 1333 Ram
R4 Case
GTX 670

There might be some other stuff in there too, I just forget...

Candeez

Is it worth upgrading from 1333 ddr3 to to 1600 ddr3 for gaming? I can get corsair xms3 2x4 sticks for $60, but not sure if I'll notice any difference in frame rate. I've googled around and consensus is that there's no significant difference, but I trust Gaffers opinion :)

Specs:

Gigabyte z77n-wifi
I5 3570k
Gtx780
Samsung 2x4gb 1333mhz cl9 sticks

lordy88

So I'm freaking out a little bit GAF...

Built my PC using a USB Key (no optical drive), and while it took some time to read my USB stick, I finally got it to work.

Now I was installing drivers for my computer, and suddenly none of my USB items would work. My USB wireless adapter, mouse, nor USB stick are being recognized by my computer.

I installed the following drivers:

Nvidea 660 GFX Card
Intel 3.0 USB
Intel Chipset
Intel Rapid Storage
Samsung 840 SSD

Does anyone have any clue how on earth I can restart my USB drives? I have no more ideas on what else to do.

EDIT: Jesus christ. I uninstalled the 3.0 USB driver and suddenly I was back to normal. That thing is a death sentence!

mkenyon

Banned
How much could I sell a computer with

Intel i5 3570k
Samsung 120 GB SSD
16 GB Crucial 1333 Ram
R4 Case
GTX 670

There might be some other stuff in there too, I just forget...
About $700-800.
Is it worth upgrading from 1333 ddr3 to to 1600 ddr3 for gaming? I can get corsair xms3 2x4 sticks for $60, but not sure if I'll notice any difference in frame rate. I've googled around and consensus is that there's no significant difference, but I trust Gaffers opinion :)

Specs:

Gigabyte z77n-wifi
I5 3570k
Gtx780
Not really. But you can try setting it to 1600MHz to see if it boots. The Internal Memory Controller on Ivy is quite good, and RAM can often be clocked higher than the speed it's labeled at.

kharma45

Specs:

Gigabyte z77n-wifi
I5 3570k
Gtx780

From a cost:benefit standpoint it's not worth it.

About to bite the bullet on this build soon. Any thoughts and alternatives are welcome. I'm a bit over budget, but still within the ball park. I guess I can push it to £1800 or thereabouts, although I'll be edging dangerously into ramen all week for meals territory.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.40 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£59.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£75.59 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£93.00 @ Amazon UK)

Looks good, wouldn't really change anything.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Obviously, the big limitation is that this only works with lower end cards.
CrossFire low end cards (One on APU one on GPU).
CrossFire is still broken so that's a terrible bench on top of misguided advertising
so my i7 920 stock won't bottle neck the 770? I am so thinking of jumping on that.

I do plan on OC'ing it but since i never have I'm a little ....scared? I do have an after market cooler, cooler master 212 something. Forgot which one specifically.
Some GAMES will be held back by your 920 at stock. Overclock it or spend $600 on a new motherboard and CPU. :p
How do I know which connector the the wire coming from the H60 is supposed to go to?

The 4 pin is in the cpu connector. The 3 pin coming from the actual cpu mount, I dont know.
Could read your manual.
I'm debating moving my hdd cage torwards the psu in my 600t. I wonder how much that would improve airflow/temps? I already took out the top cage. Bottom cage has a HDD and SSD.
Barely any.

I'd go LGA 2011 over Haswell easily. Nab a 3820 (Yes it can overclock) and a motherboard that can overclock it (Not all can, iirc the ASUS' can do it).
Upgrading? Hell no it's 1-3%. After 1600 it's even less.
You can go ahead and probably OC them to 1600 if you want though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So are we going to arrive at the consensus then Haz that 3570K > 4670K and 3820 > 4770K?
I think so. I see no current reason given the pacing and nature of Intel's releases to not go that route. Unless something concretely proves otherwise.

Hopefully Steamroller is able to deliver and we can get the low end overclocking going again.

kharma45

I think so. I see no current reason given the pacing and nature of Intel's releases to not go that route. Unless something concretely proves otherwise.

Hopefully Steamroller is able to deliver and we can get the low end overclocking going again.

Hopefully. Now that Richland is out the door they can focus on getting Steamroller out, hopefully it isn't any more than 3-4 months away.

Just finished my Haswell build.

i5-4670K
Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD5H
Gigabyte GTX770 OC
16GB DD3-2133 CL9 Ripjaws X (2x8GB)
250GB Samsung 840 Pro
Corsair HX750 PSU
Corsair 300R case

Should be a dream to run.

eguQY6m.jpg

Asus P8Z67-V Pro/GEN3
i5-2500k
8GB Corsair Vengence RAM
SoundBlaster Titanium HD

Worth. every. penny.

I second that, I came from a 2gb 560 and the 770 crushes it for sure. I'm glad I spent the extra few dollars over the 660 Ti FTW Sig 2 that I had for a week.

Olivero

Order complete. She shall be the ship that carries me into the next gen.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste ($4.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($90.50 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1277.37
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-07 20:01 EDT-0400)

Willectro

Banned
Asus P8Z67-V Pro/GEN3
i5-2500k
8GB Corsair Vengence RAM
SoundBlaster Titanium HD

Worth. every. penny.

This has been my experience with the Gigabyte Windforce 770.

Flaxh

PCGaf I'm buying a new desktop after 5 years with a laptop and I'd really appreciate some feedback.

I wanna spend 1250€ including a 22-24' screen.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/147cc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/147cc/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/147cc/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.97 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB Video Card ($298.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $874.89
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-07 21:22 EDT-0400)

Which source and case do you recommend? What would you guys change? I'd love to get the 770 for the extra 100€ if it's worh it.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is a 770 good enough to game comfortably at 1440p? it has only 2GB memory (i could get a 4gb, but i dont think the bus is big enough to really have any benefit), not sure if thats a problem tho.

The 780GTX is of course better but in some benchmarks i have seen the difference is only 2-5fps on 1440p.
You can shop for a 4GB 770 for $450, just need to fidn it in stock.

If you aren't pushing crazy AA / Texture / Content mods you should be ok, but who knows for next gen ports.
So i did everythings as instructed.

Your Current Specs: A DV6 1360US and a PC with P2xxx CPU No VGA 2GB RAM Gxx Gigabyte Mobo as i remember.
Budget: 1000$/Vietnam but i'll buy from Newegg and have everything shipped. "Everything" which isnt heavy such as case and PSU.
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming to the max, and rendering video clip via Adobe AAE, simple one such as advertising.
Monitor Resolution: I planned for FULL HD 1920x1080 DUAL Monitors.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Everything possible, 30 is acceptable but i prefer 60.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Not at all.
When will you build?: I'll build at the ends of month, about 21 June, yeah i can wait.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably.

I need help on picking Cooling system, and wonder if the rosewell really worth it. How about FSP 600W 80 Plus Gold? In my country it is sold at 100$. I want the 4770K, but wondering if another 100$ on CPU is efficient.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/13ZJ4

And yes i'll replace the RED with BLACK, thanks. Someone told me that 2133 is better for OC but i highly doubt about it, anyway some extras bucks on bus isnt much.
I'd buy the FSP since you can return it if it has problems. I think they are good units.
Since 1k is your budget I'd look at a 3570K and motherboard. Will save you about $60 for ~5% performance difference.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
hey guys,

i bought a sandisk extreme 480gb ssd recently and it seems like all crystalmark/ ssd-as scores for it have it around 500 read and 200 write for sequential tests. i have at installed with msahci drivers and 1024K whatever that 2nd part means but im getting 200 read 200 write on both benchmarks. any ideas why i might be getting a lower score?

thanks for any help :]

mkenyon

Banned
hey guys,

i bought a sandisk extreme 480gb ssd recently and it seems like all crystalmark/ ssd-as scores for it have it around 500 read and 200 write for sequential tests. i have at installed with msahci drivers and 1024K whatever that 2nd part means but im getting 200 read 200 write on both benchmarks. any ideas why i might be getting a lower score?

thanks for any help :]
Could just be your specific SATA controller. What motherboard do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom