• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So should i have problems with SLI or not?

Iknow Andy is probably gonna say no but i am all ears for a second opinion.( no offense Andy )

Do the pros of going with SLI outstrip the cons as noted in that list ?

If you're going multi monitors, it might be the only way to get good framerates/times with all the bells and whistles turned up.

Exuro

I did not see this.

http://s18.postimg.org/jea7pb8gp/screenshot_51.png[img]

[url]http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_haswell_e_has_8_coresx99_chipsetddr4_memory.html[/url][/QUOTE]oh my. I'll do what I can to wait to replace my 4 year old build until then/later.

Thorgal

If you're going multi monitors, it might be the only way to get good framerates/times with all the bells and whistles turned up.

Thanks for the info .

im only gaming on 1 monitor but i want that rock solid performance.

oh one other thing :would a PSU of 700 watt be enough for SLI ?

kennah

In other news, my 3770K @ 4.6GHz and OCed Titan may prove too much for the 450Watt SFX PSU. Playing Warframe on a moderate 100MHz overclock and 25 mV over voltage shuts my system down and reboots it.

I think I'm just going to order an S3 so I can use an ATX PSU...
Sad :( there was a lot of discussion in the oc.net CSplash thread about that very problem. Even the Gold can't quite push enough power for the Titan. Hopefully new SFX power supplies come out soon.

Though the S3 is a pretty awesome case.

Thanks for the info .

im only gaming on 1 monitor but i want that rock solid performance.

oh one other thing :would a PSU of 700 watt be enough for SLI ?

Rock solid performance on 1 monitor? I'd say go for a single 780. 700 watt PSU is cutting it very close.

Sad :( there was a lot of discussion in the oc.net CSplash thread about that very problem. Even the Gold can't quite push enough power for the Titan. Hopefully new SFX power supplies come out soon.

Though the S3 is a pretty awesome case.

I'll keep the Splash for another project, you know how it goes :)

Thorgal

Rock solid performance on 1 monitor? I'd say go for a single 780. 700 watt PSU is cutting it very close.

I'll keep the Splash for another project, you know how it goes :)

Nah i am gonna wait for the 880 and skip the 700 series.

Currently i am sitting on a 660 but deceided i want more oomph for next gen.

Om3ga

Okay guys, so the below is still happening. I Uninstalled and re installed all my drivers and all my setting have been put back down to stock. Its happening less, but still happening.

If I try to return my card to Newegg for a new one, will they know I messed with the core clock? Does that even matter?
From my knowledge there's no way of them knowing you overclocked unless you tell them. So if there's an issue and you're in the return/exchange window just exchange the card. Try testing the cards one at a time seeing if the issue is still there. Also try swapping the connections as well. The one that has DVI switch to HDMI etc.

Worse comes to worse just go for an RMA.

I need a new PC for girlfriend/kids use. I was following the i5-3350p adivce but I'd like to use the integrated graphics . What's the good choice between the 3450 and 3330 then?

I do have an old GT8800 for it if you Gafs think that's better than the HD2500 that's in those chips.

kharma45

I need a new PC for girlfriend/kids use. I was following the i5-3350p adivce but I'd like to use the integrated graphics . What's the good choice between the 3450 and 3330 then?

I do have an old GT8800 for it if you Gafs think that's better than the HD2500 that's in those chips.

8800GT would be a better option. What all would they be doing with the machine? An AMD APU could always be an option too like the A10 5800K, or if you want low power usage there is the A10 5700. Newegg bundle Sim City for free with them which you could flog on.

If you're going for a locked Intel CPU Haswell could be an option too with the i5-4570S. It has the HD 4600 iGPU.

880GT would be a better option. What all would they be doing with the machine? An AMD APU could always be an option too like the A10 5800K, or if you want low power usage there is the A10 5700. Newegg bundle Sim City for free with them which you could flog on.

If you're going for a locked Intel CPU Haswell could be an option too with the i5-4570S. It has the HD 4600 iGPU.

Browse Youtube, play flash games & Torchlight II if current usage of the old computer is any indication.

That could be a cheaper option. Price is really the #1 issue with this thing.

I also don't need everything. Need a case, an SDD, motherboard, cpu & ram.

KillerAJD

Anybody have a recommendation for the best bang for my buck mobo? Just grabbed myself a 3570k, and I'm trying to save a bit of money on the mobo. I'd like to run Crossfire 7850's when the new update for that comes out (or so I was told), so it needs two PCI-E slots at least. Preferably on Amazon, since I have Prime on there, but if there's a deal somewhere else that has free shipping, I'm all for it. I'm in the US in California if that makes a difference.

kharma45

Browse Youtube, play flash games & Torchlight II if current usage of the old computer is any indication.

That could be a cheaper option. Price is really the #1 issue with this thing.

I also don't need everything. Need a case, an SDD, motherboard, cpu & ram.

You're probably best off using that 8800GT the more I think about it over something with integrated graphics, it's a waste not to use it and it's easily more powerful than anything integrated. Something like this could be an option

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.91 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $342.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-16 16:06 EDT-0400)

AMD also has options with the Athlon 750K

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Biostar A55MD2 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($55.97 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $298.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-16 16:08 EDT-0400)

From a gaming standpoint the i3 is the better chip. For general work they're pretty much on par. Case could be changed to a Source 210 if you want something bigger with a bottom mounted PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Anybody have a recommendation for the best bang for my buck mobo? Just grabbed myself a 3570k, and I'm trying to save a bit of money on the mobo. I'd like to run Crossfire 7850's when the new update for that comes out (or so I was told), so it needs two PCI-E slots at least. Preferably on Amazon, since I have Prime on there, but if there's a deal somewhere else that has free shipping, I'm all for it. I'm in the US in California if that makes a difference.

Something like the MSI GD55 http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-Z77-G55&c=CJ

You're probably best off using that 8800GT the more I think about it over something with integrated graphics, it's a waste not to use it and it's easily more powerful than anything integrated. Something like this could be an option

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.91 @ Amazon)
Total: $342.87
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-16 16:06 EDT-0400)

AMD also has options with the Athlon 750K

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Biostar A55MD2 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($55.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $298.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-16 16:08 EDT-0400)

From a gaming standpoint the i3 is the better chip. For general work they're pretty much on par. Case could be changed to a Source 210 if you want something bigger with a bottom mounted PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Something like the MSI GD55 http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-Z77-G55&c=CJ

Thanks for the input & effort mate. I should have mentioned I'm in Canada but partpick has a nice option for that issue. ;)

kharma45

Thanks for the input & effort mate. I should have mentioned I'm in Canada but partpick has a nice option for that issue. ;)

I probably should've asked first before ploughing on :p Same builds in Canada would cost this

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($61.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($70.86 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($108.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $391.82
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-16 16:35 EDT-0400)

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Biostar A55MD2 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($70.86 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($108.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $349.82
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-16 16:36 EDT-0400)

So, does "sold out" mean..."SOLD OUT"? As in, not adding any more units?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130921

I'd imagine they'll get more at some stage. Amazon has it too and plenty of stock http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CZIQXBA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I did not see this.

screenshot_51.png

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_haswell_e_has_8_coresx99_chipsetddr4_memory.html

I almost take this as a "In other words, for desktop users, we weren't even trying with 1st Generation Haswell."

Still, second generation Haswell would probably only be a worthwhile upgrade to Nehalem users or earlier.

Edit: Or people using video-editing applications that will be able to take advantage of 8 physical CPUs and 8 virtual threads.

kharma45

I almost take this as a "In other words, for desktop users, we weren't even trying with 1st Generation Haswell."

Still, second generation Haswell would probably only be a worthwhile upgrade to Nehalem users or earlier.

This isn't second generation Haswell, this is the successor to Ivy Bridge-E, their enthusiast range of CPUs.

This isn't second generation Haswell, this is the successor to Ivy Bridge-E, their enthusiast range of CPUs.

Would be pretty fucked up if its Haswell E that has the good overclock capability LOL.

Apparently its still on socket 2011 too though slightly updated (they call it socket 2011-3) but this kinda begs the question if older socket 2011 chips can also run in it (maybe since its size and pin placements are the same)

Any programs to run to check the health of a gpu? For some reason I had a display driver crash for no reason. This is a new card and want to replace it if I know its faulty.

RoKKeR

Hey there - Last week you guys helped me OC my i5 2500k to 4.4GHz. I didn't get a chance to play my PC last week but after some stabilization checks and game tests last weekend I thought everything was alright.

I turned on BF3 today to find massive stuttering. Even on the lowest settings I was getting maybe 30-40fps, but it was a stuttering fps at that. I'm about to try out a few other games to see if the problems persist, but was wondering if you guys have any thoughts as to why that might be happening.

My GPU is a 570.

KillerAJD

Is there any difference between this ram and this ram? I need me some ram, but which one is better/different?

And thanks for the advice. Ended up going with a used - like new version of this, but fulfilled through Amazon, so it was only a bit more expensive than the one you linked to. If I have any problems with it, Amazon is usually really good with returns, so it's no biggie.

Replaced my hard drive, which I hope was the source of my frequent crashes.

Everything seems more stable and a little more snappy, but it could be a) a placebo and b) be the fact that it's a new drive and more cache with it (old one was 3+ years old at this point).

kharma45

Is there any difference between this ram and this ram? I need me some ram, but which one is better/different?

And thanks for the advice. Ended up going with a used - like new version of this, but fulfilled through Amazon, so it was only a bit more expensive than the one you linked to. If I have any problems with it, Amazon is usually really good with returns, so it's no biggie.

Ah. Be careful with overclocking on that board as it doesn't report voltage accurately.

The difference is colour only, but don't get either. Get this lower profile stuff, $52 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

How far can I safely OC an i7 930? I'm at 3.3 right now.

4GHz is about as far as most people can go afaik.

KillerAJD

Ah. Be careful with overclocking on that board as it doesn't report voltage accurately.

The difference is colour only, but don't get either. Get this lower profile stuff, $52 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Any more specifics on the voltage inaccuracy? I have a friend who has his 3570k OC'd to I think ~4.3, and he didn't seem to have any issues with voltages once he tweaked them. Is it just poor performance, or it literally states the wrong voltage? I'm not planning on pumping it up as much for the time being either way though.

You should've posted a week ago, I'm visiting from Manitoba, could have brought some hand me downs ;). OK, so QC means that you'll be better off getting stuff shipped to you since there aren't great options local.

Yes, especially if they don't have any inprovince presence I will only pay GST.

kharma45

Any more specifics on the voltage inaccuracy? I have a friend who has his 3570k OC'd to I think ~4.3, and he didn't seem to have any issues with voltages once he tweaked them. Is it just poor performance, or it literally states the wrong voltage? I'm not planning on pumping it up as much for the time being either way though.

It under-reports it

Hxoy8Qn.jpg

kennah

Yes, especially if they don't have any inprovince presence I will only pay GST.

That changed with HST sadly. You'd have to order everything from Memory Express (they only have Western Canada stores) to not pay PST.

Which, isn't too bad an option, they have good prices. OK. Getting down to business and reading your old posts. Give me a coupleafew.

EDIT: What kind of budget are we working from here? Do you have any particular cases you like? Are you looking for something that is small form factor or something bigger with more expandability options? Do you have any problems with used gear? What city are you in in Quebec?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any programs to run to check the health of a gpu? For some reason I had a display driver crash for no reason. This is a new card and want to replace it if I know its faulty.
Not that I know of. Just stress it with OCCT and FURMARK.
Hey there - Last week you guys helped me OC my i5 2500k to 4.4GHz. I didn't get a chance to play my PC last week but after some stabilization checks and game tests last weekend I thought everything was alright.

I turned on BF3 today to find massive stuttering. Even on the lowest settings I was getting maybe 30-40fps, but it was a stuttering fps at that. I'm about to try out a few other games to see if the problems persist, but was wondering if you guys have any thoughts as to why that might be happening.

My GPU is a 570.
You hitting thermal throttling maybe?
Check your load voltage and temps in the OP for both.

Install the 314 nVidia drivers too.

KillerAJD

Yeah, don't try anything too aggressive with that board.

Awesome, thanks. One more question actually. This is the same board, for about the same price as what I got it for on Amazon, however, the Newegg deal comes with a free stick of Crucial 8GB ram. Is it worth it to cancel my Amazon orders and just go with the Newegg deal (First of all, it'd be guaranteed new), but I don't know how wise it is to run off one stick of ram. I know it'll affect performance, but is the difference worth another $60?

RoKKeR

You hitting thermal throttling maybe?
Check your load voltage and temps in the OP for both.

Install the 314 nVidia drivers too.
Temps are fine, not sure about load voltage.

EDIT: What is a good core voltage to be at?

EDIT 2: My core voltage was at 1.450V which is too much, right? I should be around 1.35 correct?

kharma45

Awesome, thanks. One more question actually. This is the same board, for about the same price as what I got it for on Amazon, however, the Newegg deal comes with a free stick of Crucial 8GB ram. Is it worth it to cancel my Amazon orders and just go with the Newegg deal (First of all, it'd be guaranteed new), but I don't know how wise it is to run off one stick of ram. I know it'll affect performance, but is the difference worth another $60?

The difference isn't worth $60 no. Still if you're going to cancel and re-order I can't recommend going for the Extreme4, there are better boards for the same money. That GD55 for $125 also has the free 8GB RAM too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130644

KillerAJD

knitoe

Temps are fine, not sure about load voltage.

EDIT: What is a good core voltage to be at?

EDIT 2: My core voltage was at 1.450V which is too much, right? I should be around 1.35 correct?

Should be under 1.35V. Very possibly even under 1.30V for 4.4GHz.

RoKKeR

Should be under 1.35V. Very possibly even under 1.30V for 4.4GHz.

Ok. My Offset Voltage is (+) 0.005V and it's running at around 1.328V-1.336V. It fixed my stuttering and FPS issues after running the Batman benchmark.

If I wanted it in the lower 1.3's, would I set the Offset Voltage to (-) and incrementally bump it down?

That changed with HST sadly. You'd have to order everything from Memory Express (they only have Western Canada stores) to not pay PST.

Which, isn't too bad an option, they have good prices. OK. Getting down to business and reading your old posts. Give me a coupleafew.

EDIT: What kind of budget are we working from here? Do you have any particular cases you like? Are you looking for something that is small form factor or something bigger with more expandability options? Do you have any problems with used gear? What city are you in in Quebec?

Well damn. Altho my last Amazon order was only charged 5%

~400$ pre tax. As I said, I don't need everything. Just the 5 items mentionned before. Altho I could drop the SSD but I think my GF would like the speed improvement.

Mid Tower is big enough. USB 3.0 Ready & Buttons on top. No crazy designs. The previously mentioned Fractal Design seems nice enough. (It's not for my computer, I won't have to look at the thing. My computer is in an HAF 922).

Yes, no used gear. Laval. I usually deal with NCIX, I have nothing but good thing to say about that company.

knitoe

Ok. My Offset Voltage is (+) 0.005V and it's running at around 1.328V-1.336V. It fixed my stuttering and FPS issues after running the Batman benchmark.

If I wanted it in the lower 1.3's, would I set the Offset Voltage to (-) and incrementally bump it down?

Yes. Go negative with Offset. Or, you can lower other settings that increase VCore voltages, like LLC from Extreme to Very high to high or etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom