• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoKKeR

Yes. Go negative with Offset. Or, you can lower other settings that increase VCore voltages, like LLC from Extreme to Very high to high or etc.

Ok. It idles at around 1.328V with jumps to 1.336V. Think that's alright or do I need to go lower?

kennah

Well damn. Altho my last Amazon order was only charged 5%

~400$ pre tax. As I said, I don't need everything. Just the 5 items mentionned before. Altho I could drop the SSD but I think my GF would like the speed improvement.

Mid Tower is big enough. USB 3.0 Ready & Buttons on top. No crazy designs. The previously mentioned Fractal Design seems nice enough. (It's not for my computer, I won't have to look at the thing. My computer is in an HAF 922).

Yes, no used gear. Laval. I usually deal with NCIX, I have nothing but good thing to say about that company.

Ok, good. Amazon is a fine option for some things. For example they currently have the Crucial M4 128gig on sale for $109. So that's a great options.

You mentioned case - does that mean case and powersupply or do you have one that you can put in?

I am a fan of small formfactor systems, so I put the following together to start. It's a little over your budget, I'm still crunching numbers until I hear back about PSU.

Intel i5 3225 - this has the Intel HD4000 which is likely enough for Torchlight and other applications. $144.99 at MemEx. (Price Match the 138 from Direct Canada)

Asus P8H77-I motherboard - $104.99 at MemEx (Price match the 99 from Direct Canada)

A single 4 gig stick of Crucial 1600 CAS9 DDR3, $37.99 - add a second stick later for dual channel, but 4 gig will be enough to get you started.

Silverstone SG05 with 450W power supply $119 from NCIX.ca http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=71536&vpn=SG05BB-450-USB3.0&manufacture=Silverstone Technology

Plus the Crucial M4 puts you at a little over $500 with an intel build and all quality parts. Going to experiment a bit to bring it down. If you have a powersupply already it can be significantly cheaper.

EDIT: I did a lot from Memory Express because you'd only get charged GST and they do free shipping if you order on Wednesdays and will price match any of the regular sites.

Oxn

I did not see this.

screenshot_51.png

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_haswell_e_has_8_coresx99_chipsetddr4_memory.html

Good thing.

I was about to buy some expensive 16gig DDR3 ram.

Knowing DDR4 is coming in over a year I'll hold off then.

Ok, good. Amazon is a fine option for some things. For example they currently have the Crucial M4 128gig on sale for $109. So that's a great options.

You mentioned case - does that mean case and powersupply or do you have one that you can put in?

I am a fan of small formfactor systems, so I put the following together to start. It's a little over your budget, I'm still crunching numbers until I hear back about PSU.

Intel i5 3225 - this has the Intel HD4000 which is likely enough for Torchlight and other applications. $144.99 at MemEx. (Price Match the 138 from Direct Canada)

Asus P8H77-I motherboard - $104.99 at MemEx (Price match the 99 from Direct Canada)

A single 4 gig stick of Crucial 1600 CAS9 DDR3, $37.99 - add a second stick later for dual channel, but 4 gig will be enough to get you started.

Silverstone SG05 with 450W power supply $119 from NCIX.ca http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=71536&vpn=SG05BB-450-USB3.0&manufacture=Silverstone Technology

Plus the Crucial M4 puts you at a little over $500 with an intel build and all quality parts. Going to experiment a bit to bring it down. If you have a powersupply already it can be significantly cheaper.

EDIT: I did a lot from Memory Express because you'd only get charged GST and they do free shipping if you order on Wednesdays and will price match any of the regular sites.

No need for a PSU got an Ultra 500w and an Antec 600w liying around. There's probably a ~300 somewhere too.

Didn't know that about Memory Express. I like free shipping! I'm ok with having an AMD system if that means savings. The current PC is an AMD fomr years past.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
First two components!

2yCs4N9.jpg

I know Seagate is frowned upon but I got a great deal at the Father's Day event at TigerDirect.

With the savings I'm going to upsize my Samsung SSD from 128gb to 250gb.

kennah

No need for a PSU got an Ultra 500w and an Antec 600w liying around. There's probably a ~300 somewhere too.

Didn't know that about Memory Express. I like free shipping! I'm ok with having an AMD system if that means savings. The current PC is an AMD fomr years past.

Actually since you have a powersupply already then you are set with the fractal 1000 if you like it!

Wallach

Everything is going to get here tomorrow except the DVD drive and paste I forgot to order, which will take an extra day. Can't wait to finally have an SSD-equipped build. Anything I should know setup-wise before installing Windows on an SSD?

brentech

Everything is going to get here tomorrow except the DVD drive and paste I forgot to order, which will take an extra day. Can't wait to finally have an SSD-equipped build. Anything I should know setup-wise before installing Windows on an SSD?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

read through it. maybe have it available on laptop or another device as you're installing. Lots of it is optional, based on how you use your computer or just preference.
Then there are key attributes you want to make sure get done.

Mr. Hyde

Nice! I have the rest of my parts coming tomorrow for my new build. I will, hopefully, be able to give my girlfriend's laptop back to her tomorrow and have a computer way nicer than my Q6600/ddr2/8800gts days (RIP).

knitoe

I've decided to bite the bullet and finally pick up my GTX 770.

Do you guys think the extra $50 is worth it for the 4GB? I think I'll probably pick up this model when it comes back for availability. (they will restock, right?)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462

I would expect games to start using >2GB of VRAM once the nextgen consoles are release. So, yeah, I would only recommend 3GB or more VRAM video cards.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Good thing.

I was about to buy some expensive 16gig DDR3 ram.

Knowing DDR4 is coming in over a year I'll hold off then.

16 GB DDR3 expensive? And of those features, DDR4 is what you're salivating over?

System RAM, pretty much just get what you need to OC and keep the CPU happy. If you're doing interesting things with PCIe BUS lanes, maybe more bandwidth. If you're doing certain type of CPU apps that benefit from lower latency, get lower timings. But for games, shouldn't matter.

What's most appealing about Haswell-E is that it has 8 intel cores.

But it's going to be 1 year too late for me. Going to build a console port, living room HTPC with AMD steamroller cores. "frame latency graphs". Yeah, irrelevant here. Game engines will be designed for 8 physical cores and frame latency dips aren't going to matter at 60 fps nearly as much. Unless there's 120 hz (non-interpolating) TVs coming out soon, then I'll listen.

My next desktop will probably be something like Haswell-E.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What thermal paste is best these days?
Shin Etsu, IC Diamond 7, MX4, etc. There's not much between the top choices, so go with whatever costs the least, in my opinion.
Those are all good pastes. I did some of the first testing with ICD7, but tbh now I'd just stick with MX2 or MX4 for a cheap paste.
On the top end you have Phobya HeGrease, PK3, and Noctua NT-H1 to shave off 2-3C if that. Indigo Extreme for insanity and Liquid Pro/Ultra for Delid applications.

I've got some Phobya and and PK3 to compare to my ICD7 to test with contact paper I bought to try and max out my 2600K when I have some free time.

Blizzard

Banned
After leaving my parts lying around for several days in the boxes (I must be getting old) I finally put most of my new PC together (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/138yd). Here are some quick questions:

• For the MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard, booting without any hard drive or CDROM installed yet, I get an EFI 5 second countdown, error, and command line after the BIOS screen. It reminds me of u-boot for Linux actually. Is this just because I don't have a boot device yet, or is this a sign that something may be messed up with BIOS? It says "map: Cannot find required map name."
  • Similarly, should I try to do the BIOS live update before doing anything else? I think I saw at least one review for this motherboard that mentioned bricking the BIOS when they tried to update it. That could just be someone making a mistake, but if I don't need to update it I'd rather not.
  • With the cooler master hyper 212 plus, the 3570k, and the one-button 4.2 GHz overclock, I was seeing temperatures of up to 51C just sitting idle in the BIOS screen. I would like to know if A) this is expected normal for this cooler and speed, and B) what temperatures I should get concerned at. My rule of thumb for my old e8400 core 2 duo was anything above about 61C was bad, but up to 60C was fine. I might have put too much arctic silver 5 on. I can slightly rotate the heat sink even with the lock bars tightened down, but that might be normal.
  • My case has two motherboard audio connectors and I am not sure which to plug in: HD AUDIO and AC'97. Is one better than the other? I did not see anything mentioned about it in my motherboard document stuff, but it doesn't seem to document a couple of the onboard jumpers anyway. I suppose I should look those up some day. >_>

Blizzard

Banned
I went ahead and plugged the HD Audio port in. I'll keep that as long as audio works once I get an OS installed, unless anyone suggests otherwise.

The BIOS message went away once I added the hard drives and a CDROM drive, so I suspect the system will boot fine then. I'll probably skip updating the motherboard BIOS unless someone feels strongly about it.

Idle temperature still seems to be 48-51C with the 4.2 GHz overclock. I'm going to Google but I'd like opinions on that if anyone has some.

I'm running 4 case fans, 2 videocard fans, and 1 CPU fan. The system is noticeably louder than my old one (2 less case fans) which is very quiet. I guess I'll see if it bothers me. I could turn the top two case fans off, but this particular case (HAF 912) has a huge vent on the top and I'm afraid of a ton of dust getting in otherwise.

I'll take a picture tomorrow, since I'm sure everyone wants to see a midrange PC with horrible cable management. :p

TheD

The Detective
Does anyone have problems with flash not using hardware acceleration anymore?
Both GPU-Z and process explorer show no video decode engine usage.

Using a GTX570 and and a few month old drivers.

RSTEIN

Problem: it's impossible to find either ASUS or eVGA GTX 770 with 4 gb. I can find Gigabyte and Zotac. I'm not as familiar with these names. Should I stay clear?

Tomas

Banned
[*]With the cooler master hyper 212 plus, the 3570k, and the one-button 4.2 GHz overclock, I was seeing temperatures of up to 51C just sitting idle in the BIOS screen. I would like to know if A) this is expected normal for this cooler and speed, and B) what temperatures I should get concerned at. My rule of thumb for my old e8400 core 2 duo was anything above about 61C was bad, but up to 60C was fine. I might have put too much arctic silver 5 on. I can slightly rotate the heat sink even with the lock bars tightened down, but that might be normal.

I have Asus Mobo, but CPU, OC, Heatsink is same as yours. My idle temperature is about 35C. During the stress test, it was about 65C.

My voltage is something like 1.23. You should manually decrease voltage, because auto-OC most likely upped it too much.

trilobyte

I'll be building a new a system to replace my aging core 2 duo & gtx 560

Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-Deluxe
Graphics Card: Asus GTX 780
RAM: 32GB (4x8gb) DDR3 1600 - G.Skill Sniper Series
PSU: SeasSonic Plantinum-860W
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hypter 212 Evo
Storage (Fast): 240GB SSD - Corsair Neutron Series
Storage (Large): 3TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda

My key requirement is last-ability. My gamble is that Intel will stick with this new socket for at least another generation.

The only thing I'll be transferring over from the old PC is an SSD (to be used as a cache drive) and a blueray-rw

kharma45

I'll be building a new a system to replace my aging core 2 duo & gtx 560

Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-Deluxe
Graphics Card: Asus GTX 780
RAM: 32GB (4x8gb) DDR3 1600 - G.Skill Sniper Series
PSU: SeasSonic Plantinum-860W
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hypter 212 Evo
Storage (Fast): 240GB SSD - Corsair Neutron Series
Storage (Large): 3TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda

My key requirement is last-ability. My gamble is that Intel will stick with this new socket for at least another generation.

The only thing I'll be transferring over from the old PC is an SSD (to be used as a cache drive) and a blueray-rw

If you're spending big money consider Socket 2011 and the i7 3820. Haswell is a pretty poor overclocking CPU so you'd be better looking at a 3820 (which will have an upgrade path to Ivy Bridge-E and possibly Haswell-E) or a 3770K. Intel are sticking with this socket but Haswell refresh is what is expected next year on 1150 and it looks like Broadwell could be just BGA.

trilobyte

If you're spending big money consider Socket 2011 and the i7 3820. Haswell is a pretty poor overclocking CPU so you'd be better looking at a 3820 (which will have an upgrade path to Ivy Bridge-E and possibly Haswell-E) or a 3770K. Intel are sticking with this socket but Haswell refresh is what is expected next year on 1150 and it looks like Broadwell could be just BGA.

Hmm I haven't looked at the LGA 2011 socket stuff. Is LGA 2011 expected to stick around long term?

Has it be confirmed that Broadwell will only be BGA? I think their roadmap still shows having a LGA1150 broadwell

[EDIT] Looks like there's been some news on the E-line in the last day: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/31076...ores-ddr4-support-x99-pch-and-more/index.html

It seems the their next line of enthusiasts chips will see a new chipset and an upgrade to LGA1150. Seems that sticking with that line means a new chipset regardless :-/

I hope it's okay if I post in this thread because making a new one seems a bit over the top. Soo I pretty much want to/have to upgrade my graphics card because a friends 5770 became quite wonky over the past few days which is why I sell him my current 6850. Which card would give me the best bang for buck in the 230€ area? I'm eying for a 7870 though going nVidia is minimally tempting given the ease of downsampling and things like PhysX though I'm not sure if paying the premium for a 660 TI is worth it :/

Also two notes, first of all I'm aware that my Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2ghz would bottleneck these cards a bit but given the PS4 release this year I simply can't afford to upgrade the rest of the PC aswell :( The second thing is that I stay clear of graphics cards with a full plastic enclosure and ideally would like a silent, openly accessible and easy to clean cooler like on my current 6850:

I think I asked a similar question way back when I build a PC for a friend but given how fast the landscape changes in terms of prices and performance I figured it can't hurt to ask again :)

Things I would like to be able to run well in the future includes Battlefield 4 near 60fps (I currently play BF3 with 45-50fps which is fine with me) and otherwise a bump over my current 6850 wouldn't be bad! Also I don't plan to overclock, thanks in advance for any help!

kharma45

Hmm I haven't looked at the LGA 2011 socket stuff. Is LGA 2011 expected to stick around long term?

Has it be confirmed that Broadwell will only be BGA? I think their roadmap still shows having a LGA1150 broadwell

I've read a lot of mixed things, with Broadwell disappearing into 2015 it's hard to call what Intel will do. As for Socket 2011 Sandy Bridge-E is the current CPU, it'll be replaced with IB-E and then Hawell-E according to the latest road-map, although exactly what LGA 2011-3 entails I do not know.

2013-2014%20intel%20desktop%20roadmap.jpg

I hope it's okay if I post in this thread because making a new one seems a bit over the top. Soo I pretty much want to/have to upgrade my graphics card because a friends 5770 became quite wonky over the past few days which is why I sell him my current 6850. Which card would give me the best bang for buck in the 230€ area? I'm eying for a 7870 though going nVidia is minimally tempting given the ease of downsampling and things like PhysX though I'm not sure if paying the premium for a 660 TI is worth it :/

Also two notes, first of all I'm aware that my Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2ghz would bottleneck these cards a bit but given the PS4 release this year I simply can't afford to upgrade the rest of the PC aswell :( The second thing is that I stay clear of graphics cards with a full plastic enclosure and ideally would like a silent, openly accessible and easy to clean cooler like on my current 6850:

I think I asked a similar question way back when I build a PC for a friend but given how fast the landscape changes in terms of prices and performance I figured it can't hurt to ask again :)

Things I would like to be able to run well in the future includes Battlefield 4 near 60fps (I currently play BF3 with 45-50fps which is fine with me) and otherwise a bump over my current 6850 wouldn't be bad! Also I don't plan to overclock, thanks in advance for any help!

If you can find a 7870 XT/7870 LE they'll give you the best bang for buck in that price range. They're basically slightly cut down 7950s. I wouldn't go for the 660 Ti now, in that bracket the 7950 is the better buy.

X4 955 will bottleneck as you have said but if you overclock, which you should really consider, you can greatly alleviate this.

If you can find a 7870 XT/7870 LE they'll give you the best bang for buck in that price range. They're basically slightly cut down 7950s. I wouldn't go for the 660 Ti now, in that bracket the 7950 is the better buy.

X4 955 will bottleneck as you have said but if you overclock, which you should really consider, you can greatly alleviate this.

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately I wasn't really able to find a 7870 at my usual shops as they call it a "Discontinued Line" o.o But I might look around a bit to see what I can find, I guess the difference stems from Pitcairn vs Tahiti LE? All Tahiti LE cards I found have so far these plastic-coolers I loathe so much :/ And about the overclocking, I technically wouldn't oppose it as I have a Coolermaster Hyper TX3+ cooler though my case is quite frankly a cable-mess with less than ideal airflow though still, how much of a noise increase would it bring and how far should I push it given that it's already 2 years in use?

kharma45

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately I wasn't really able to find a 7870 at my usual shops as they call it a "Discontinued Line" o.o But I might look around a bit to see what I can find, I guess the difference stems from Pitcairn vs Tahiti LE? All Tahiti LE cards I found have so far these plastic-coolers I loathe so much :/ And about the overclocking, I technically wouldn't oppose it as I have a Coolermaster Hyper TX3+ cooler though my case is quite frankly a cable-mess with less than ideal airflow though still, how much of a noise increase would it bring and how far should I push it given that it's already 2 years in use?

Coolers like this? If so they're actually metal shrouds on the 7870 XT.

Where in Europe are you located? The TX3+ won't get any massive OCs with it, you bight be able to bump it up to say 3.6GHz without too much trouble. It'll also depend on your motherboard too.

Coolers like this? If so they're actually metal shrouds on the 7870 XT.

Where in Europe are you located? The TX3+ won't get any massive OCs with it, you bight be able to bump it up to say 3.6GHz without too much trouble. It'll also depend on your motherboard too.

Oh sorry I shouldn't have called them "plastic-coolers" I meant more the full enclosed design of them. I had two of them before, a 4850 and said 5770 my friend now uses and since I live basically in a attic my place gets dusty very quick and even with monthly cleaning sessions the coolers sucked itself so full of dust that I wasn't able to clean them properly even with compressed air which resulted my PC being so loud you could hear it at the other far end of the flat =_= My current 6850 is nice and quiet in that regard :p My motherboard is a GIGABYTE 870A-UD3, I guess I will take a peek in the overclocking thread. And I'm in Germany by the way.

Gumbie

Question for GAF

I currently have a EVGA GTX 670 2GB (overclocked to 680 and beyond speeds) and I have the opportunity to buy the same card but the 4GB version from a friend for probably $30 after selling my current 2GB and using the money from that. I game at 1980x1020 and I know that at the resolution you don't really need anything over 2GB at the moment. I plan on making this card last me to 2015 or late 2014 and was wondering if you guys thought the 4GB might be more future proof or if by the time the 4GB comes in to play I'll need a new card anyways.

kennah

Keep your current one. No guarantees that the new one will overclock as well and it sounds like a lot of trouble for minimal gain.

Basically hold out until your computer stops performing how you want it to perform - then upgrade. Preupgrading and future proofing are just more expensive and more work in the end.

kharma45

Oh sorry I shouldn't have called them "plastic-coolers" I meant more the full enclosed design of them. I had two of them before, a 4850 and said 5770 my friend now uses and since I live basically in a attic my place gets dusty very quick and even with monthly cleaning sessions the coolers sucked itself so full of dust that I wasn't able to clean them properly even with compressed air which resulted my PC being so loud you could hear it at the other far end of the flat =_= My current 6850 is nice and quiet in that regard :p My motherboard is a GIGABYTE 870A-UD3, I guess I will take a peek in the overclocking thread. And I'm in Germany by the way.

No bother, I'll have a look about for a more open one for you. Sapphire do a 7870 XT but on PCPartPicker only Amazon.de list it, and it's over budget http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00AX2ONI0/

The Gigabyte 660 isn't too expensive http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0099AOAUI/ nor is the Sapphire 7870 http://www.amazon.de/dp/B008HV63NM/

You should be able to do some mild OCing with that motherboard.

trilobyte

I've read a lot of mixed things, with Broadwell disappearing into 2015 it's hard to call what Intel will do. As for Socket 2011 Sandy Bridge-E is the current CPU, it'll be replaced with IB-E and then Hawell-E according to the latest road-map, although exactly what LGA 2011-3 entails I do not know.

Thanks a bunch. I've been forecasting an upgrade of the CPU 2 years from now (mid-late 2015). In that time frame, if I go LGA-1150 I'll at least have the Haswell-Desktop refresh to choose from (with Broadwell being iffy). If I go the EE line today, it's likely there could be a good chance that Ill need to upgrade the chipset in 2015 too (regardless of going to Haswell-EE or Broadwell-EE).

So the question I'll need to ask myself is do spring for the EE line with a risk of needing to upgrade the chipset, or settle on the desktop line which looks like it gives me more longevity. I'm not to sure if I really need the EE line....I'll noodle on this some more this morning - I plan to make the purchase later today.

No bother, I'll have a look about for a more open one for you. Sapphire do a 7870 XT but on PCPartPicker only Amazon.de list it, and it's over budget http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00AX2ONI0/

The Gigabyte 660 isn't too expensive http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0099AOAUI/ nor is the Sapphire 7870 http://www.amazon.de/dp/B008HV63NM/

You should be able to do some mild OCing with that motherboard.

Whoa thanks for all that efford! I found the 7870 XT in some more shops although they don't have a high rating, it's really strange how many say it either has shipment issues or is discontinued :/ And alright I will see how to overclock then as I never did so before. As for a normal 7870 I think I will go with the GIGABYTE one because of the Windforce III cooler as I can get it for 230€ :)

Tak3n

Banned
So my new rig arrived from PC specialist...

+1 to them on the packaging (well sort off) it was so big it would not fit in the front door lol

anyway, why do I say "well sort off", well there is a big sign on the outside saying you must keep the packaging as it is required for any warranty claims, but of course after the first year when free collection runs out, this would cost you a small fortune to post this box!!

Anyway without further ado, pics....

another +1 to the cabling, very tidy, I requested for the GPU power to left lose, so I could install the GPU on arrival, without having to undo cable ties.

IMG_1910 by aeschylus2013, on Flickr

IMG_1911 by aeschylus2013, on Flickr

IMG_1912 by aeschylus2013, on Flickr

IMG_1913 by aeschylus2013, on Flickr

IMG_1914 by aeschylus2013, on Flickr

IMG_1915 by aeschylus2013, on Flickr

kharma45

Thanks a bunch. I've been forecasting an upgrade of the CPU 2 years from now (mid-late 2015). In that time frame, if I go LGA-1150 I'll at least have the Haswell-Desktop refresh to choose from (with Broadwell being iffy). If I go the EE line today, it's likely there could be a good chance that Ill need to upgrade the chipset in 2015 too (regardless of going to Haswell-EE or Broadwell-EE).

So the question I'll need to ask myself is do spring for the EE line with a risk of needing to upgrade the chipset, or settle on the desktop line which looks like it gives me more longevity. I'm not to sure if I really need the EE line....I'll noodle on this some more this morning - I plan to make the purchase later today.

Haswell desktop refresh would only be worth it really to go from an i5 to an i7. All I see them changing with the refresh would be an iGPU improvement, slightly lower TDP maybe and slightly higher clocks. It's hard to know what to do at this stage really at the high end, my gut feeling is either 3770K or 3820 but obviously I'm just here to give my opinion on it :p others, and yourself, may feel different.

Whoa thanks for all that efford! I found the 7870 XT in some more shops although they don't have a high rating, it's really strange how many say it either has shipment issues or is discontinued :/ And alright I will see how to overclock then as I never did so before. As for a normal 7870 I think I will go with the GIGABYTE one because of the Windforce III cooler as I can get it for 230€ :)

With the XT model it was I think just a limited run so they are getting harder to find now. All of those Sapphire 7870 XTs are basically gone here in the UK, can't really see many places with them. Windforce is a good option and the 7870 is a nice bit of kit. In your budget it appears to be between it and the 660 really unless you get lucky and find a Sapphire XT.

Do some reading into OCing and sure even if you only take it up a few hundred megahertz it'll still help.

kharma45

My 7850 is off to MSI and it's going to take up to 28 days to get a replacement :( next time I'm going Gigabyte, their turnaround time is 3 days. I knew there was a fan problem with it, turns out the bearing went in the right hand side one.

RSTEIN

Fuck this. Still can't find 4gb 770. Going this aft to get the 2 gb version.

I was doing some reading and only at 3240 x 1920 do games like Metro 2033 The Last Refuge on Very High settings start to overwhelm a 2gb GTX 670.

With the XT model it was I think just a limited run so they are getting harder to find now. All of those Sapphire 7870 XTs are basically gone here in the UK, can't really see many places with them. Windforce is a good option and the 7870 is a nice bit of kit. In your budget it appears to be between it and the 660 really unless you get lucky and find a Sapphire XT.

Do some reading into OCing and sure even if you only take it up a few hundred megahertz it'll still help.

Ahh okay that explains it then, too bad because they really seem to have amazing value for money :/ And alright between the 660 non-Ti and the 7870 I will surely pick the 7870 I think but yeah I haven't given up on the XT yet, there are a few more places where I could ask :p

And alright from what I do know already is that heat is related to voltage so I hope I don't have to bump this up too much. Thanks again!

My 7850 is off to MSI and it's going to take up to 28 days to get a replacement :( next time I'm going Gigabyte, their turnaround time is 3 days. I knew there was a fan problem with it, turns out the bearing went in the right hand side one.

Also I hope it gets resolved way quicker than that for you :( It's one of the reason why I like to buy a bigger chains of local shops as there is usually no shipping involved when exchanging something.

kharma45

Ahh okay that explains it then, too bad because they really seem to have amazing value for money :/ And alright between the 660 non-Ti and the 7870 I will surely pick the 7870 I think but yeah I haven't given up on the XT yet, there are a few more places where I could ask :p

And alright from what I do know already is that heat is related to voltage so I hope I don't have to bump this up too much. Thanks again!

Also I hope it gets resolved way quicker than that for you :( It's one of the reason why I like to buy a bigger chains of local shops as there is usually no shipping involved when exchanging something.

You'll not go wrong with the 660 or 7870, both are good cards. Check too to see what shops you're buying from, there is one listed in Germany where you get the free games as part of the Never Settle bundle. The 7800 comes with Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite.

And I hope so too, I'll know next time either to go Gigabyte as their RMA stuff is all UK based or buy from Amazon for their returns policy.

It still (sorta) does. It no longer has multiple DIMMs per channel so quad channel now means 4 slots.

It also means for max performance you'll need every slot on the board filled which is going to play hell with memory overclockers since IMCs traditionally do worse with more slots filled. Apparently the Haswell IMC is a monster allowing massive overclocking even with all four DIMM slots filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom