• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Koroviev for the reassurance, I'll go with the R4. I'm moving from an Antec p182 that is neither quiet or cool, so I wanted to make sure.

My next order of business is my videocard. I have an MSI GTX670 that's reference design that I posted up for sale but noone seems to want to bite on it. Since it seems I might keep it, I was thinking about putting one an aftermarket cooler. I'm looking at the Accelero Twin Turbo II, is there any other cooler that won't break the bank that I should consider?

How much for the 670

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EbrJ

That's the build I have so far, I posted it yesterday but I just want to get advice on the motherboard and if this is all good before I start ordering more. I basically am getting everything from the Enthusiast build, but with a few modifications (I think?) so I want to be 100% sure before I start getting more stuff since this will be my first computer I'll be building myself (as I said yesterday).

I've already ordered the memory, hard drive, CPU cooler, sound card, and case, so I probably won't be messing with that.

Also, that Crucial SSD is comparable enough to the Samsung one I have listed that at the price Newegg is offering the Crucial SSD, it would be more than a good enough deal to swap, right?

Koroviev

That's the build I have so far, I posted it yesterday but I just want to get advice on the motherboard and if this is all good before I start ordering more. I basically am getting everything from the Enthusiast build, but with a few modifications (I think?) so I want to be 100% sure before I start getting more stuff since this will be my first computer I'll be building myself (as I said yesterday).

I've already ordered the memory, hard drive, CPU cooler, sound card, and case, so I probably won't be messing with that.

Also, that Crucial SSD is comparable enough to the Samsung one I have listed that at the price Newegg is offering the Crucial SSD, it would be more than a good enough deal to swap, right?

That's a respectable enthusiast build. Motherboard is fine.

And it's your call. I like having a more recent SSD and the 840 Pro is among the fastest, but it's not like you're going to realize a huge difference between it and the M4.

Edit: And here's a crosslisting from the BST thread-

I'm looking to sell a lightly used 768MB Galaxy GTX 460. I'm the original owner and I've had it for less than year, but it has not been used in any capacity since early January. It's decent for sub-1080p resolutions. Ideal for someone on a tight budget or anyone else who needs a placeholder.

Thinking $65 shipped or something like that.

That's a respectable enthusiast build. Motherboard is fine.

And it's your call. I like having a more recent SSD and the 840 Pro is among the fastest, but it's not like you're going to realize a huge difference between it and the M4.

Ok, I'll probably upgrade the SSD later if anything, I think my case can even fit two SSDs, so I can do that even once I get more money.

Thanks for all the help, by the way, Koroviev! You've been really helpful with all of my questions, so thanks! :)

kharma45

Change your PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

I'd also change the RAM to something lower profile http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233386

What is the sound card for?

Thinking about upgrading to a 660 from a 460 768mb version. Would the 660 be able to run everything on max/ultra at 1600 res, or would getting the ti be better?

Koroviev

Ok, I'll probably upgrade the SSD later if anything, I think my case can even fit two SSDs, so I can do that even once I get more money.

Thanks for all the help, by the way, Koroviev! You've been really helpful with all of my questions, so thanks! :)

The R4 can fit several SSDs. It's a really great case, especially for less than $100. Arguably one of the best.

Edit: And while the Evo cooler is nice and efficient, the size of it and other air CPU coolers bothers me. I much prefer having a closed-loop liquid cooler, if only for the much less pronounced form factor.

Thinking about upgrading to a 660 from a 460 768mb version. Would the 660 be able to run everything on max/ultra at 1600 res, or would getting the ti be better?

AMD cards are a better value proposition in the $200-$300 range. Consider the 7950 if you're willing to spend that much. You also get free games (i.e., Bioshock Infinite + Crysis 3) if you buy from certain retailers.

kharma45

Try to go for a 3GB card for whichever you go for, and I'd go for the Ti at least if not the 670 (the 2GB one of it is fine though) as max settings at 1600p will push the card hard enough.

Are you only looking at Nvidia? AMD offer much better bang for buck.

GHG

Gold Member

At that res go for the 7950 if that's the price range you're looking at. If you're willing to spend more then go for the 670/680/7970. The 660 range is built with 1080p in mind unless you SLI them.

Change your PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

I'd also change the RAM to something lower profile http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233386

What is the sound card for?

Is that PSU better than the one I have listed?

Also, the RAM is arriving here today, so I probably will just be keeping that assuming there's no problem with it (and by Koroviev's comment, I'm assuming that's the case).

The sound card is because it's in the Enthusiast build and I want to just have a nice computer, if that card helps out with the sound I'm cool with that, especially since I used a gift card to help get the sound card, so it was at no extra cost to me.

The R4 can fit several SSDs. It's a really great case, especially for less than $100. Arguably one of the best.

Edit: And while the Evo cooler is nice and efficient, the size of it and other air CPU coolers bothers me. I much prefer having a closed-loop liquid cooler, if only for the much less pronounced form factor.

Ah =\ Should I change it at all? Or is it still a good CPU cooler?

kharma45

Is that PSU better than the one I have listed?

Also, the RAM is arriving here today, so I probably will just be keeping that assuming there's no problem with it (and by Koroviev's comment, I'm assuming that's the case).

The sound card is because it's in the Enthusiast build and I want to just have a nice computer, if that card helps out with the sound I'm cool with that, especially since I used a gift card to help get the sound card, so it was at no extra cost to me.

Yeah the G series is better. It's quieter and 80+ Gold, as well as it having better quality bits inside it. If the sound card isn't costing you anything why not I guess but unless you're an audiophile or need one for a specific reason there isn't much point in them now, most mobos have pretty good sound quality.

Evo is still a good cooler btw.

Yeah the G series is better. It's quieter and 80+ Gold, as well as it having better quality bits inside it. If the sound card isn't costing you anything why not I guess but unless you're an audiophile or need one for a specific reason there isn't much point in them now, most mobos have pretty good sound quality.

Evo is still a good cooler btw.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. Will there be enough wattage for my build with that PSU?

And I just want to go as above and beyond with this computer as best as I can with my budget.

Koroviev

Ah =\ Should I change it at all? Or is it still a good CPU cooler?

Oh no, there's nothing wrong with it. I just don't like having something that takes up so much space.

Here's my current build with the H60 (I would recommend a liquid cooler with a larger rad than the one I have):

jX2oSMmOuFYEW.jpg

kharma45

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. Will there be enough wattage for my build with that PSU?

And I just want to go as above and beyond with this computer as best as I can with my budget.

It's plenty for almost any single GPU, and power consumption is only going down. Plus the G550 can pull 650w max so there is headroom beyond what is stated.

bro1

Banned
Dumb question but what is the protocol for installing new nvidia drivers in W8? Unistall, unplug Internet, restart and install?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
IT LIVES.

2wIwqt2.jpg

Everything went well for a first build. My bios threw up a warning that my CPU fan was dipping below 600 RPM but I set it to ignore it.

During idle and web-browsing CPU is 31-34C, GPU is around 44. That good?

My setup again:
CASE: COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth X79
GPU: XFX Double D Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3G
POWAH: SeaSonic X-850 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91
CPU: Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Six-Core
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
HDD: Seagate Constellation 1TB 7200 RPM
CPU COOLER: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
RAM: (16GB) Samsung Electronics Extreme Low Voltage 30nm UDIMM 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Any advice for the best "idiots guide to overclocking" links or equivalent?

IT LIVES.

Everything went well for a first build. My bios threw up a warning that my CPU fan was dipping below 600 RPM but I set it to ignore it.

My setup again:

Congrats!

Can't wait to build mine.

Akai__

Why does BIOS gives that warning anyway?

And yeah, those temperatures are okay. Run some games and look how they change.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Why does BIOS gives that warning anyway?

And yeah, those temperatures are okay. Run some games and look how they change.

The bios has a feature to warn me if the fan dips below a certain speed. It was set to warn @ 600 RPM. It's scared me at first because the component failure light came on and I couldn't figure out what was wrong but as soon as I set that to ignore everything's been cool.

Smokey

How does powerline Ethernet work?

If I have the cable modem in one area, and I move my PC to a different area...an Ethernet cord comes from the outlet adapter into the PC? What If I need to hook up the PC and Xbox in that same room...how does that work?

Is it worth it to get this Netgear $50 powerline adapter over this $120 Netgear adapter

Both from BB and they are both at a store up the street. Really clueless about it.

Koroviev

If I have the cable modem in one area, and I move my PC to a different area...an Ethernet cord comes from the outlet adapter into the PC? What If I need to hook up the PC and Xbox in that same room...how does that work?

Is it worth it to get this Netgear $50 powerline adapter over this $120 Netgear adapter

Both from BB and they are both at a store up the street. Really clueless about it.

Don't forget that BB price matches online stores ;)

Dave_6

IT LIVES.

2wIwqt2.jpg

My setup again:

Nice! Looks great!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The bios has a feature to warn me if the fan dips below a certain speed. It was set to warn @ 600 RPM. It's scared me at first because the component failure light came on and I couldn't figure out what was wrong but as soon as I set that to ignore everything's been cool.
I had the same warning on a system I installed.

It's because at idle the CM 212 spins 450-500RPM and the mobo is setup to issue a warning if RPM is below 600. I just made a fan profile so it spins at 700RPM as it's still silent.

kennah

Oh package where are thou!?

Stupid canadian holiday.

EDIT: I also have a serious problem, I'm considering watercooling my grandma's computer.

castlegar

Hey all.

So I've had X-COM for a while now, and haven't been able to play it due to the AMD lag issues from needing a BIOS update. I've been putting it off because I have zero idea how to do this, and now it's getting to the point where I really need to figure it out.

These are my specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-990XA-UD3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM

And I know I've got to download it from here, except I'm not sure which one to go with.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

DTKT

Is it really that simple? Plug one adapter in the modem, plug that into the wall. Plug the second adapter into the second room and plug whatever device you want on that end?

That seems like magic to me. How does it transmit the signal between the two adapters?

tbro777

Neo Member
You're missing the point of what he said. The video cards he mentioned would be faster than the dual graphics mode. The dual graphics mode is a waste of time.

Canada! Memory Express has the Crucial m4 256 gig for $169 today!

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX33418

$4.99 shipping if you live in a city that doesn't have one.

Of course they do this a few weeks before I was going to buy one.

Ahh I see now.

Well got everything put together, had a couple issues, after assembly it would not power on, realized i forgot to put in the risers under the motherboard (feel really stupid about that) so had to disassemble and start over. Then finally powered on, bios recognized everything.

Now since I forgot to order a new copy of windows, i tried loading an old windows xp disc I had lying around, kept getting a blue screen hdd error, had to go into bios and put the hdd into ide mode, then windows started loading, formatted hdd. then i get to the screen where you enter the key, i dont have the key anymore(i thought you could bypass this part to enter after windows installs) So i ran out to wal mart to buy a copy of windows 8, all they have are the upgrade versions, I asked if they had the full version and they looked at me like I had 2 heads and asked why I would need a full version. So I guess if I can't find a full version at a local store, I'll have to order one.

iavi

People are reporting significant performance boosts with Catalyst 13.2 Beta 6. But, with no release notes we're left to play the guessing game. C'mon AMD, tell me what you did.

Whooter

Now since I forgot to order a new copy of windows, i tried loading an old windows xp disc I had lying around, kept getting a blue screen hdd error, had to go into bios and put the hdd into ide mode, then windows started loading, formatted hdd. then i get to the screen where you enter the key, i dont have the key anymore(i thought you could bypass this part to enter after windows installs) So i ran out to wal mart to buy a copy of windows 8, all they have are the upgrade versions, I asked if they had the full version and they looked at me like I had 2 heads and asked why I would need a full version. So I guess if I can't find a full version at a local store, I'll have to order one.

I might be completely wrong, but I think you can install Win8 using an upgrade copy if you have the XP disc to provide proof you have it. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

ss_lemonade

Thanks, sounds good to me. My old computer had a samsung 830 128gb and that was one fast drive. I guess I'll just take advantage of the 256gb drive offer for now
Changed my mind lol. Another deal might pop up for the 840 pro so I guess its better to just wait for that since I still don't have a mobo, cpu and gpu at the moment.

By the way mkenyon, just wanted to thank you again for your generosity :)

Koroviev

Ahh I see now.

Well got everything put together, had a couple issues, after assembly it would not power on, realized i forgot to put in the risers under the motherboard (feel really stupid about that) so had to disassemble and start over. Then finally powered on, bios recognized everything.

You don't need to activate the old OS. You just need to format a partition with it. But really, you don't even need to do that. You can load Win8 straight away with an upgrade key and change the Media Boot install registry value to 0 and run the command line "slmgr -rearm" Win8 will activate without issue.

tbro777

Neo Member
You don't need to activate the old OS. You just need to format a partition with it. But really, you don't even need to do that. You can load Win8 straight away with an upgrade key and change the Media Boot install registry value to 0 and run the command line "slmgr -rearm" Win8 will activate without issue.

Are you saying I can use a windows 8 upgrade key without having a os installed already?

Koroviev

Are you saying I can use a windows 8 upgrade key without having a os installed already?

That is exactly what I'm saying, yes.

Do this:

regedit(local/software/Microsoft/windows currversion/setup/oobe, MediaBootInstall, 1, 0)
cmd(slmgr -rearm)
reboot

Success should ensue, although you may have to instigate the activation (i.e, click activate Windows).

tbro777

Neo Member
That is exactly what I'm saying, yes.

Do this:

regedit(local/softwareMicrosoftwindows currversionsetupoobe, MediaBootInstall, 1, 0)
cmd(slmgr -rearm)
reboot

Success should ensue, although you may have to instigate the activation (i.e, click activate Windows).

Ok stupid question since i am a newb at this, how do I do that with no os installed, wouldn't i need windows to edit the registry and to use cmd? sorry, i'm not completely understanding

Koroviev

Ok stupid question since i am a newb at this, how do I do that with no os installed, wouldn't i need windows to edit the registry and to use cmd? sorry, i'm not completely understanding

Well, yes, you would need an upgrade copy of Windows 8. I'm simply pointing out ways to work around the the old OS technicality.

An upgrade copy of Windows 8 will install without issue, but it won't activate if it doesn't see an old Windows OS... Which is where that trick comes into play.

tbro777

Neo Member
Well, yes, you would need an upgrade copy of Windows 8. I'm simply pointing out ways to work around the the old OS technicality.

ok i think i see what you're saying. basically put the windows 8 uprade dvd in the drive let it install then do those commands? I was thinking the upgrade version wouldn't let you install in the first place. So if that's the case when I go out tomorrow, if i cant find a full version i'll get an upgrade version.

Koroviev

ok i think i see what you're saying. basically put the windows 8 uprade dvd in the drive let it install then do those commands? I was thinking the upgrade version wouldn't let you install in the first place. So if that's the case when I go out tomorrow, if i cant find a full version i'll get an upgrade version.

Yep! Let me know if you experience any technical difficulties. I'd be more than happy to walk you through the process :)

Borrowed a friends 670, so have a second card to try out SLI. Picked up a new motherboard, asrock z77 extreme4, so want to try it out to see if it's worth buying later down the line. However, the problem is I only have a 550w PSU (it's a good one, mind you; XFX PRO550w), so do you think I would get away with using that for a few hours to test the second card? I'd basically disconnect everything drawing power, aside from the SSD OS drive. My CPU is a 3570k, overclocked at 4.2ghz.

Camp Lo

Banned
Borrowed a friends 670, so have a second card to try out SLI. Picked up a new motherboard, asrock z77 extreme4, so want to try it out to see if it's worth buying later down the line. However, the problem is I only have a 550w PSU (it's a good one, mind you; XFX PRO550w), so do you think I would get away with using that for a few hours to test the second card? I'd basically disconnect everything drawing power, aside from the SSD OS drive. My CPU is a 3570k, overclocked at 4.2ghz.

IIRC, you'd need at least 650 for that setup. I have pretty much the same deal except i'm getting a single 680 and PPP gave me a warning for SLI'ing on a 600w.

IIRC, you'd need at least 650 for that setup. I have pretty much the same deal except i'm getting a single 680 and PPP gave me a warning for SLI'ing on a 600w.

What do you mean by PPP?

It's a shame really, as I hoped I could get away with testing it out for an hour or two on just a 550w. I'm tempted to pick up this PSU Corsair Builder Series CXM 750W Modular £69.99, it's fairly cheap, but without the ability to have a look at how much of an improvement I'd get from running 2 670's, I'm hesitant about pulling the trigger. Especially since it was only last November I built my PC.

Smokey

Got my two Asus 120hz monitors that I ordered last week. I'm pretty sure I have my basis covered now with 120hz, nvidia surround/3d, and 2560x1600 heh. Few pics:

surroundz9q06.jpg

night_surroundz5ole.jpg

Didn't go with powerline as I wasn't satisfied with Best Buy's offerings. Will look into one with multiple ports. In the meantime I just grabbed a decent USB wifi adapter. Did a speed test and got 21/6 which is fine for me.

Played a few games...BF3 and Crysis 2. I can definitely see how a Titan (or two) would really help in a setup like mine. Both were playable. BF3 in the 40ish range with Ultra everything. Crysis 2 on Extreme in the 50s. Could always use moar power though especially since Crysis 3 is going to destroy me tomorrow.

GHG

Gold Member
But how many titans do you need to run that setup @ 60fps in 3D? Looks fantastic.

Im still waiting for screens without bezels before doing a setup like that. Well that or a single ultrawide curved screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom