• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTKT

Is there a boot manager for Windows? I have several partitions with a couple of different OS and I'd like to select the OS on boot. Right now, it's a quicktime event where I need to press F12 for the boot loader.

Any other way?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Are the newegg super comboes decent deals? I figure it would be an easy way for me to put a computer together and learn the individual parts as I upgraded.

kennah

Photo%202013-02-19%2016%2027%2053.jpg

The lengths I went through to keep my rig intact. This is my friends 260 GTX that I'm borrowing while waiting for my 670 to arrive. Had to take the whole hard drive cage out to make room for that beast. Bitfenix and ITX can't get here soon enough.

n0n44m

The lengths I went through to keep my rig intact. This is my friends 260 GTX that I'm borrowing while waiting for my 670 to arrive. Had to take the whole hard drive cage out to make room for that beast. Bitfenix and ITX can't get here soon enough.

Lian-Li PC60 ?

(I used to be so jealous of fellow LAN goers with that thing when I was in high school)

also are you allergic to vacuum cleaners ? ;p

kennah

Lian-Li PC60 ?

(I used to be so jealous of fellow LAN goers with that thing when I was in high school)

also are you allergic to vacuum cleaners ? ;p

Good catch! Indeed it is! I don't actually own a vacuum, and the whole thing is being replaced soon.

I loooooove the PC 60, but it is clearly dated.

lmpaler

Can't believe how well my PC's been holding up for the past half year or so. I'm thinking of upgrading to TITANs though.

What's your performance like on those bad boys? I'm going to pick up one when I get my rig next month, data charts are cool and all, but I prefer personal testimony

I'm so excited to build my rig. Just waiting on the GTX 670 to come in.

I probably shouldn't be excited for the PS4 right? My computer will run games pretty well?

iavi

What's PCGAF's verdict on the korean 120hz IPS displays?

I want to go 120hz, but I need my color reproduction too; thinking about grabbing one of these, asap.

mkenyon

Banned
What's PCGAF's verdict on the korean 120hz IPS displays?

I want to go 120hz, but I need my color reproduction too; thinking about grabbing one of these, asap.
They're not really 120hz, and they burn out fast. The max refresh rate is something like 90hz.

Get real 120hz. If you want a big screen, put three in portrait mode.

M3z_

Looks like a nice rig, but it come with no graphics card so you would still have to spend additional $____ for whatever kind of card you wanted to put in.

Bleeether

That looks like a solid deal if you don't have a local microcenter, i would have probably jumped on this back when i was wanting to build a PC with a Storm Stryker case. It certainly is convenient not having to shop around different sites for most the parts.

I built a pc a few weeks back with similar parts:
p8z77 v-pro
i5 3570k
8gb corsair vengeance
corsair hx 750
samsung 128gb 830
Storm Stryker case.

Through a combination of microcenter, ebay, and amazon deals, i was able to get all of that for ~735 taxes and shipped. Though that took me a few weeks of scanning for deals ever single day....

Pic of my build (AGAIN) :p...

Are video card prices expected to drop much over the next several months?

With the next gen stuff being delayed, I'm considering picking up a 7950 instead of waiting. And since I'm planning to get BioShock Infinite, I might as well get in on that promo.

But if prices are going to drop significantly by summer, I might just hold off until then.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Are video card prices expected to drop much over the next several months?

With the next gen stuff being delayed, I'm considering picking up a 7950 instead of waiting. And since I'm planning to get BioShock Infinite, I might as well get in on that promo.

But if prices are going to drop significantly by summer, I might just hold off until then.
Doubtful since no new cards are coming. nVidia might swing something in Summer, but with AMD sitting around it has no reason too.

gogojira

Microcenter trip coming this weekend. I'm pretty much convinced I'm getting a 7970 (despite knowing I'll be playing a handful of the Physx games which irks me even though I have no clue how good or bad it looks :p ). I see this MSI R7970 for $400. Seems to be a good deal and should be good to flash to Ghz, right?

I need to do some price comparisons overall, but I might try to scoop up a decent amount of loot while I'm at Microcenter, it seems to be a good place to shop (never actually been there myself). I'll definitely be picking up my processor, too.

Jumping on a great deal on a 7970 tomorrow for my first build.

I feel like this question is asked frequently, but I'd love some reassurance:

Do you think something in the "enthusiast range" (~$1200) will be able to keep up with the entirety of next gen console ports with at least console quality visuals and FPS?

I'm really hoping for it to last all gen without needing any major upgrade. I know that the hardware will technically be better than what's going to be in consoles, but is that gap enough to account for the optimization voodoo that goes into console versions?

I got a little burned this gen when my 2009 laptop tore through early gen ports, but utterly shat the bed when playing mid-late gen games even at lowest settings/resolution. What gave? Shouldn't it have lasted all gen given that the hardware was superior to anything in consoles?

The fact that it was mobile hardware probably didn't help, I suppose.

For those of you with a Sensei RAW mouse, which option is considered to be the best out of rubber or gloss? I get sweaty hands and am not sure if the rubber one would fare so well against that.

System works, but I need to refine the cabeling a bit.

Here's what's in it:

i7 3770k
Asus Maximus V Gene
Gigabyte HD 7970 3GB
8 GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Ram
Noctua NH-U12P
Samsung 840 250GB SSD
2x2TB WD green
Be quiet! Straight Power E9 580W PSU
Fractal Design Arc mini

img_1228c5q4q.jpg

img_1230k3r7q.jpg

kharma45

Here's what's in it:

i7 3770k
Asus Maximus V Gene
Gigabyte HD 7970 3GB
Noctua NH-U12P
Samsung 840 250GB SSD
2x2TB WD green
Fractal Design Arc mini

img_1228c5q4q.jpg

img_1230k3r7q.jpg

Really nice :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
For those of you with a Sensei RAW mouse, which option is considered to be the best out of rubber or gloss? I get sweaty hands and am not sure if the rubber one would fare so well against that.
I tried the RAW for a bit, but it was too small for me and I got the gloss.

I'd go for the rubber.

Here's what's in it:

i7 3770k
Asus Maximus V Gene
Gigabyte HD 7970 3GB
Noctua NH-U12P
Samsung 840 250GB SSD
2x2TB WD green
Fractal Design Arc mini
Looks super solid, enjoy!

They're not really 120hz, and they burn out fast. The max refresh rate is something like 90hz.

Get real 120hz. If you want a big screen, put three in portrait mode.

Which models are you referring to specifically when it comes to burning out fast?

I'm planning on getting the Overlord Tempest 120Hz panel, and driving it at ~96Hz. Is that one of the models that are reportedly burning out fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom