• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoDad

Just had a SSD drive die on me... It's the OCZ Vertex 2... I have one green light and one amber light that flashes..

If I boot into Linux can I save the info off of it or since the BIOS can't see it am I screwed if I can't get it back up and running?

Any other ideas?

drexplora

Some quick help guys!?

im trying to throw in my old 570 in as a physX card to go along with my 680, but the 680 is already taking up all the avalible gpu power connectors.

Could i throw in the 570 without the power cables as its only going to be used as a physX card or will it still require additional power?
If so how do i get the 2 additional 6 pin power cables the 570 requires?

thxGAF :)

A.Romero

XFX-Double-D-Black-Edition-Radeon-HD-7870-video-card-image.jpg

so I think I've decided on the xfx double d 3gb 7950, plus it includes a lifetime warranty. Anyone have experience with this specific card? Is xfx pretty reliable inn the gpu department?

I got one last December and so far so good. Its cool, quiet and powerful.

Its big though so make sure your case can fit it

LegoDad

Some quick help guys!?

im trying to throw in my old 570 in as a physX card to go along with my 680, but the 680 is already taking up all the avalible gpu power connectors.

Could i throw in the 570 without the power cables as its only going to be used as a physX card or will it still require additional power?
If so how do i get the 2 additional 6 pin power cables the 570 requires?

thxGAF :)

get the adapters from 4 pin to the GPU connectors. aka MOLEX to PCI-E

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200106

Dave_6

Well shit. Just I had made my mind up about using a Prodigy for a case, I see that NCIX has the Fractal R4 (windowed) for $89.99 with free shipping. So incredibly tempting as I love that case...

That 7950 card at Amazon is going to be at that price for a little while, right? I need to put a bit more of a cushion into my account before I purchase it.

Koroviev

Awesome, thanks. I had a slight freakout when I saw the List Price on Amazon and realized I wouldn't be able to afford that quite as soon as I would want to if it went back to that, lol.

Yeah, I bought one from Frys for $300 a few weeks ago without a price match.

kewlmyc

Does anyone know how long the free games deal is going to last? Saving up at least $500 for a new card, motherboard, and cpu.

Koroviev

Does anyone know how long the free games deal is going to last? Saving up at least $500 for a new card, motherboard, and cpu.

From the official site:

Get Key Codes for free downloads of BioShock Infinite (PC Game) and Crysis 3 (PC Game) accessed through the Steam® and EA Origin® online gaming platforms when you buy an AMD Radeon™ HD 7970, AMD Radeon™ HD 7950 or a AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 GHz Edition Graphics Card from a participating retailer between February 4th, 2013 and either December 31, 2013 or when supply of Key Codes is exhausted, whichever occurs first. Key Codes must be used by January 31, 2014, after which the Key Codes are void.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJx-C0-uL8c

IGN building a Crysis 3 rig :-/

dafuq?
XM Cace - Alright.
CX750M - I don't think it's actually possible to make a worse decision than this except for buying something that explodes
Gigabyte X79 (Mistake) LGA 2001 (Wrong it's LGA 2011)
16GB of G.Skill - It's not even Quad Channel. Why even get X79 :|
i7 3820 - They bought an X79 system and got the Quad core. What.
eVGA 670 FTW - Could do worse, personally don't like it, but people love eVGA
1TB Black - It's fine. Loud, but fine.
Enermax cooler - I didn't know they made CPU Heatsinks. It's a rifle cooler so I'm sure it's fine.
No SSD - Why

For 1450 you can get literally double the performance with a xFire 7950 rig.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
XM Cace - Alright.
CX750M - I don't think it's actually possible to make a worse decision than this except for buying something that explodes
Gigabyte X79 (Mistake) LGA 2001 (Wrong it's LGA 2011)
16GB of G.Skill - It's not even Quad Channel. Why even get X79 :|
i7 3820 - They bought an X79 system and got the Quad core. What.
eVGA 670 FTW - Could do worse, personally don't like it, but people love eVGA
1TB Black - It's fine. Loud, but fine.
Enermax cooler - I didn't know they made CPU Heatsinks. It's a rifle cooler so I'm sure it's fine.
No SSD - Why

For 1450 you can get literally double the performance with a xFire 7950 rig.

Boggling.

I spent a few hundred more than that and got 2 SLI 670's and a 3930k with quad channel Samsung memory.

Koroviev

They should have used the motherboard box they tossed on the floor to set that motherboard on instead of the bag LOL. The outside of the anti-static bag isn't anti-static. I knew it was going to be laughable as soon as that went down.

Eh, they did okay with that. It's not like they were shuffling across carpet and wearing woolen gloves. The risk of ESD is a thing, but it's not something to lose sleep over. Just don't build during an electrical storm.

Edit: What's worse is their application of the thermal paste. Applying the thermal paste to the heatsink, smh

tbro777

Neo Member
Well my parts should be in today for my exteme budget pc. Here's what i have:

Raidmax Tornado case w/450 watt power supply
AMD A8 5600K APU
Asrock FM2A75 PRO4 motherboard
8GB(2x4GB) Kingston HyperX Blu Red series DDR3 1600 ram
Seagate Barracuda ES 500GB HDD
Samsung 24X DVD burner

All together this cost $327.00, plus $6.00 shipping, yes I'm cheap but I'm only looking to play games on medium settings. If this setup doesn't perform to at least medium I can always throw in a 6670 and run dual graphics mode.

Also had to purchase a monitor, I went with a 24" led hdtv. I forgot to order a copy of windows, when I was in best buy they only had the upgrade copies, no full version. Would I be able to install the current copy I have for my old computer without registering it, then go to the microsoft website and download windows 8?

If the build goes well, maybe I'll put up some pics. My first time building pc so wish me luck.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well my parts should be in today for my exteme budget pc. Here's what i have:

Raidmax Tornado case w/450 watt power supply
AMD A8 5600K APU
Asrock FM2A75 PRO4 motherboard
8GB(2x4GB) Kingston HyperX Blu Red series DDR3 1600 ram
Seagate Barracuda ES 500GB HDD
Samsung 24X DVD burner

All together this cost $327.00, plus $6.00 shipping, yes I'm cheap but I'm only looking to play games on medium settings. If this setup doesn't perform to at least medium I can always throw in a 6670 and run dual graphics mode.

Also had to purchase a monitor, I went with a 24" led hdtv. I forgot to order a copy of windows, when I was in best buy they only had the upgrade copies, no full version. Would I be able to install the current copy I have for my old computer without registering it, then go to the microsoft website and download windows 8?

If the build goes well, maybe I'll put up some pics. My first time building pc so wish me luck.
Best thing to drop in is a used GTX 460/560 or 6830/6850/6870 for as cheap as you can find them ($60 low end) if you want more power.

tbro777

Neo Member
Best thing to drop in is a used GTX 460/560 or 6830/6850/6870 for as cheap as you can find them ($60 low end) if you want more power.

That's what I was thinking if I feel I need it, something in the mid tier, though i kept reading that the best card to pair with the apu was a 6670. Would I be able to use the dual graphics mode with an amd apu and a nvidia video card? I was think maybe had to be an amd card to be compatible.

Hey guys, I'm looking to build a new gaming PC from scratch. I have a budget of $2000 looking to build it within the next month or two. Basically right now all I have is a 1920x1080 monitor that I'll be using. I'm from Australia.

I managed to scrape together a rig similar to one in the OP's guide just to see what I could come up with, but I definitely need to refine it. Any advice?

Intel Core i7 3770K
$335.00
MSI Z77 MPOWER Motherboard
$199.00
Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B 4GB (1x4GB) Vengeance DDR3
$116.00
ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCu II 4GB
$649.00
Western Digital WD Green 2TB WD20EZRX
$99.00
Seasonic M12II 750W Power Supply
$159.00
Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey
$149.00
Samsung SH-224BB/BEBS SATA DVDRW Drive OEM
$22.00
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
$35.00
Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD Retail Box
$149.00
Sub-Total: $1912.00

kharma45

That's what I was thinking if I feel I need it, something in the mid tier, though i kept reading that the best card to pair with the apu was a 6670. Would I be able to use the dual graphics mode with an amd apu and a nvidia video card? I was think maybe had to be an amd card to be compatible.

It's only AMD, and yeah the 6670 is as fast as it goes for the GPU you can add in.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey guys, I'm looking to build a new gaming PC from scratch. I have a budget of $2000 looking to build it within the next month or two. Basically right now all I have is a 1920x1080 monitor that I'll be using. I'm from Australia.

I managed to scrape together a rig similar to one in the OP's guide just to see what I could come up with, but I definitely need to refine it. Any advice?

Intel Core i7 3770K
$335.00
$199.00
$116.00
$649.00
$99.00
$159.00
$149.00
$22.00
$35.00
$149.00
Looks solid. Can you get an AX750 or X750 PSU/ HX650 / X650 / X660 near the same price?
okay again with another question, how is the MSI Twin Frozr Radeon HD 7950?
See this specific one still comes with the copies of SLEEPING DOGS/HITMAN/FAR CRY 3, which I would rather have over the other bundle. Heard good things about the frozrs personally. Also any chance I still qualify for the crysis 3/ bioshock, or is it an actual coupon as well?
Pretty sure MSI didn't touch voltages on 7950's so that card should be fine.

Don't buy from TigerDirect though as that 7-21 days means it's not in stock and will be filled by some 3rd party drop shipper later and probably without those game bundles while they charge you.

kennah

You're missing the point of what he said. The video cards he mentioned would be faster than the dual graphics mode. The dual graphics mode is a waste of time.

Canada! Memory Express has the Crucial m4 256 gig for $169 today!

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX33418

$4.99 shipping if you live in a city that doesn't have one.

Of course they do this a few weeks before I was going to buy one.

Zeth

Ha, first game I installed on my new SSD: Max Payne 3. Quickly learning the value of drive space. Any recommended utilities I can use to move around data between drives?

My spinner is still formatted as a Windows boot disk but I only just learned that I can still launch games from it. Some things break though, because of directory changes. I'll reformat it for storage eventually.

mug

Ha, first game I installed on my new SSD: Max Payne 3. Quickly learning the value of drive space. Any recommended utilities I can use to move around data between drives?

My spinner is still formatted as a Windows boot disk but I only just learned that I can still launch games from it. Some things break though, because of directory changes. I'll reformat it for storage eventually.
I think there's a program called "Steam Mover" that does that for Steam installed games. Haven't tried it personally, though.

Burger

GAF I want to get away from the stock cooler on my 6300FX and I have the following requirements:

1. Be no taller than around 140/150mm
2. Quieter than stock or silent
3. Not more than a third of the cost of the CPU

Had a quick look about but nothing stood out...

Zeth

I think there's a program called "Steam Mover" that does that for Steam installed games. Haven't tried it personally, though.

I've heard of it, but I wasn't sure if it's still the thing to use. The download links I find are usually two years old.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If you're going to use Steam mover make sure you tell Steam to look at 2 directories. I use the install directory on the SSD and an alt on my HDD data drive for the most part. That way when you're moving stuff, Steam should recognize it.

Intel Core i7 3770K
$335.00
$199.00
$116.00
$649.00
$99.00
$159.00
$149.00
$22.00
$35.00
$149.00

Looks nice a nice build. I would go for 8GB of memory of if you're going to spend that much money. I get very close to 4GB on my rig (I have 16gb memory) so I wouldn't want to know I may hit the ceiling soon especially with that 4GB GPU. You may very well easily use half your memory on a high end game so 8 is a safe bet.

okay again with another question, how is the MSI Twin Frozr Radeon HD 7950?
See this specific one still comes with the copies of SLEEPING DOGS/HITMAN/FAR CRY 3, which I would rather have over the other bundle. Heard good things about the frozrs personally. Also any chance I still qualify for the crysis 3/ bioshock, or is it an actual coupon as well?

Twin Frozr cooling is some of the best by the big GPU manufacturers. Other than after market stuff like Artic Accelero, you can't go wrong with an MSI Twin Frozr III or IV card.

I believe the eVGA branded 2 fan 7950 is only 300USD on Amazon right now though. Value is value so I would look to save that 40 dollars and go with that 7950.

kennah

Ok everyone. I need some help here. This is a want to buy/want to find. I need a 4:3 monitor that is around 20" in size. The one currently on my grandma's computer is dying and i need to find a replacement. It needs to be 4:3 because she runs at 640x480 resolution. (Rest of her computer is pretty rad, wall mounted, underclocked amd with silent cooling)

kharma45

GAF I want to get away from the stock cooler on my 6300FX and I have the following requirements:

1. Be no taller than around 140/150mm
2. Quieter than stock or silent
3. Not more than a third of the cost of the CPU

Had a quick look about but nothing stood out...

Hyper 212 Evo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom